(Close Window)
Topic: Favorite Street Magician?
Just would like to know who your favorite street magician is..I like Chris Angel and David Blaine BTW.
I guess you are going to have to define “Street Magician” for me. When was either Chris Angel or David Blaine a “Street Magician”?

I guess if we consider either of those guys as street magician’s I will have to say that Harry Blackstone, Senior was my favorite street magician. He once did some escapes outside (on the street) to promote his stage magic show.

Of the “real” street magicians that I have seen up close and on the street working (not just a film or TV presentation of them working on the streets) then I would have to say Cellini (who I saw in Europe working the streets) and Bob Sheets, who I saw in Maryland, USA, working a street show at Howard County Fairgrounds.
Neither Chris Angel nor David Blaine are street magicians.
Lance Burton! :) You'll see in about a month what I mean.

- Alex

P.S. I quote from TVMagicGuide.com
Lance Burton: Guerrilla Magic: Taking It To The Streets (7/1/2003-TV).

Afterthought: Harry Houdini was a street magician because he performed on the streets, so he is the top on my list.
Jeff Sheridan is my pick.. he's the original old school New York bad %$# street magician! :snail:
Does Chappy Brazil count? I loved watching his sponge ball act...

RT
I guess it's suppose to be favorite buskers. I have yet to see one in action. Is Gregory Wilson a busker?
One word, Cellini
Ya, Chappy Brazil would be my choice too. He may have left, but his magic lives on.
I don't really know who works on streets or not.. But if Jay Sankey does I'm sure he would be fun..
Gazzo!!!!
I just love Gregory Wilson. He may not be a street magician, but in his On The Spot videos he did a very good job in the streets...
Which statement in the post offended you? Or was it the whole post? :confused:

Honestly, I am confused as to how asking for a definition (or clarification), making an assumption, and naming two people that I have actually seen, in person, working on the streets as a busker can be offensive.

But since it is offensive to you, I do apologize for any and all parts of it that may be offensive.

Even so, I’d still like to know the answer to my question and the names of actual buskers that you (or anyone has seen) that they consider good.

:)
Mine is my home town hero Jay Sanky
:dancing: :banana: :band:

:firedevil: neighbour of the beast Jay Sanky is mine :dance:
Bob Sheets does a beautiful job. I got a chance to see out in California and it was great.

If I did Close-up magic on stage, that wouldn't make me a stage magician, so how does Blaine or Angel doing a few C.U. effects on the street make them a street magician? No offense, but like they said, neither is a street magi.
If you see one of them busking without a comera behind them, let us know.
The question about street magic comes up in every single forum, but if you ask me I don't have a favorite but I give respect to the guys who go out and get a permit and spend the money and time to get one of the over priced pieces of paper cuz their the real street magicians I would not consider David Blaine a street magician but he is however good at CLOSE UP magic
Well,

So what do you think about magic David Blaine does if not Street magic?

Anyways, my my other fav' streeter is Greg Wilson.

Peace,

Bone. :applause:
[quote]
Well,
So what do you think about magic David Blaine does if not Street magic?
[/quote]

It's called 'strolling magic'.

[quote]
I think Street magic is any magic that is done on Street and Street Magician is who does their magic on the street. You should realize this.
[/quote]

Wrong. No one does magic on the street. If they did, they might get hit by a car. Doing magic outside does not make it 'street magic'. I've run into situations where I performed a few tricks for someone outside. That does not make me a 'street magician'.

[quote]
I definitely say Blaine did a revolution of Street magic, to be Modern magic his purpose is to sell his videos to be well known. For people David Blaine is an entertainer, not for 50 cents on the street. Who can refuse this? Remember Magic is worth it if spectators love it and they remember what you've just done.
[/quote]

I won't deny the revolution, but I will point out that it has had some negative effects as well. Such as the misconception that doing magic outside is 'street magic'.

[quote]
One last point, if magic Blaine does is not Street magic so why he put in his opening "Street magic"? did he wanna fool everyone out there or he created a new magic called Street magic?
[/quote]

The title "Street Magic" sounded cool so they went with it. I'm sure Blaine regrets the misconception he's started.

[quote]
I heard some people said "Blaine's magic is better than Copperfield's". So what do they think of this guy, a cheater, a master sleight of hands, a begger... or what? They like him, that's why Blaine is the hottest name in magic right now. Think of it, he can make money the way that you can't.
[/quote]

Blaine is not better than Copperfield. Blaine's magic amuses me. Copperfield's astonishes me. I don't like your insinuation, however, that Blaine is better, because he makes more money than me (and everyone else here). That statement, besides suggesting that money is a good measure of talent, also suggests that I and other magicians are in this business for the money. That our lack of it proves our inferiority to other wealthier magicians. Incorrect. I would do magic even if I never made a cent from it.

[quote]
Anyways, my other fav' streeter is Greg Wilson.
[/quote]

I agree with you there. Greg Wilson rocks. :)
[quote]
Wrong. No one does magic on the street. If they did, they might get hit by a car. Doing magic outside does not make it 'street magic'. I've run into situations where I performed a few tricks for someone outside. That does not make me a 'street magician'. [/quote]

WOW! This is right! I forgot it's on sidewalk. Absolutely not on street! lol. You're right, it's strolling magic. I remember having read about this once now.

But how about Cellini? He was wrong about his "Outside magic" too. He called that Street magic while not doing anything right on the street.

[quote]
Blaine is not better than Copperfield. Blaine's magic amuses me. Copperfield's astonishes me. I don't like your insinuation, however, that Blaine is better, because he makes more money than me (and everyone else here).
[/quote]

Blaine is not better than Copperfield. I agree with that and I'm not insinuating, Copperfield is already a living legend for a long time ago, he's my fav' magician too. I just heard some laymen say Blaine is better, I'm not insinuating that I mean that.

[quote]
That statement, besides suggesting that money is a good measure of talent, also suggests that I and other magicians are in this business for the money. That our lack of it proves our inferiority to other wealthier magicians. Incorrect. I would do magic even if I never made a cent from it.
[/quote]

What I mean is Blaine is good, what he does makes people think it's real magic, they like it. I like his style, I hate people that say Blaine's magic is just to scare or cheat people by doing a simple double lift, not like dancing with the cards in the hands. They think Blaine just does some simple things, I'm just talking about all Blaine's haters and I'm not insinuating you or someone.

One thing, I did make you misunderstand what I meant to by "50 cents". Just forget it.

Peace,

Bone
:fyi:
Greg Wilson! He's great to watch!
Rich Cowley.

(Look around here; you might find him.)

Gregory (not Greg) Wilson is tops, also.
Can I get a shout out for Gazzo???

andy
David Blaine brings old magic to people who are not prepared for it. They are not sitting in a room and waiting for a magician to perform. They are not expecting anything and are very surprised when he starts. I think you can call that street magic.

Blaine brought the magic back, I think. I got started because of him a few months ago. But I´ve seen some other great magicians on video like Gregory Wilson, Jay Hankey, Cellini and Andrew Mayne. They even perform tricks that blow off Blaine.

I think that if you have an ´on the spot´-audience, you can call yourself a Street Magician. I know that I try out my routine downtown and I get the greatest response.
:bikes: :spinningcoin: :thanx:

By the way, I only use 1 trick performed by Blaine.... :comply: :spinningcoin:
Greatest street performer is David Blaine. As in, he has performed on the streets, even if it's just for TV.
Cellini and Chappy Brazil are my two picks!
Do these people perform on TV? Cuz if they do, it doesn't get aired in the U.K.. The more that does, the better. Blaines the only non-masked-magician that works as a street perform on U.K. T.V.. We need more!
Sheets..Bob Sheets.
:bikes:

Here in the Netherlands, we also get no magic on T.V., unless you count Hans Kazan but I don´t...

I found the programs Street Magic and Vertigo from David Blaine through Kazaa. You can download the whole series or some tricks. Nice to see but he´s not the only one. But I never see the others on T.V. nor on the net, so...

:spinningcoin: :goodluck:
Sorry, but since when was David Blaine and Chris Angel NOT been considered street magicians. I mean, most of their episodes are titled:
David Blaine Street Magic, or Criss Angel Street Magic. Someone who PERFORMS street magic is considered a STREET MAGICIAN.. (I think.. lol) I'M CONFUSSED! :bawl:
Exactly, and Blaine nor Angel perform street magic so they are not street magicians. It's not an insult to them (I'm not a street magician either), but merely a correction of an unfortunate misunderstanding.
Gazzo!
There is a large Buskerfest here every year.I have seen every magician that has performed there for the last 15 years and Gazzo is, by far, the best.
Message: Posted by: Alexander the Magician (Jul 2, 2003 01:02PM)
Cellini is of course one of the greats.

What is the hatred of Blaine about? He did do magic before he got his specials...

How is the misconception of magic outside being street magic a negative thing, what negative has David Blaine brought to the art? Really, negative?

Anyone who is out there doing it, and doing it well, building up respect for the art, and making enough to eat is my personal hero.
[quote]
What is the hatred of Blaine about? He did do magic before he got his specials...
[/quote]

No one is disputing that.

[quote]
How is the misconception of magic outside being street magic a negative thing, what negative has David Blaine brought to the art? Really, negative?
[/quote]

Because it lowers the standard of real street magic. Now anyone who does a card trick for someone on the sidewalk thinks they're a street magician, which detracts from the real street magicians. I certainly wouldn't call that a positive thing.

[quote]
Anyone who is out there doing it, and doing it well, building up respect for the art, and making enough to eat is my personal hero.
[/quote]

Agreed.
Gregory Wilson is my favorite. Anytime I see him perform it motivates like no other. I admire his humor and charm. :righton:
[quote]
On 2003-07-04 03:09, truellusionist wrote:
Gregory Wilson is my favorite. Anytime I see him perform it motivates like no other. I admire his humor and charm. :righton:
[/quote]
:wow: :kitty: :angel: :bigsmile: :banana: :yippee: :dancing: :bunny: :gift: :dance: :rotf:

HELP !!!

Anyone has Greg Wilson's Email ?
It semms that he doesn't have a website.

Peace,

Bone.
Message: Posted by: Alexander the Magician (Jul 5, 2003 12:06AM)
[quote]
[quote]
[/quote]

Because it lowers the standard of real street magic. Now anyone who does a card trick for someone on the sidewalk thinks they're a street magician, which detracts from the real street magicians. I certainly wouldn't call that a positive thing.

[/quote]

What's in a name? I don't see any real harm. Anyone who knows what they are talking about knows someone like Cellini is in a totally different class than Blaine, but then, I do strolling magic at parties and that is different than someone on the sidewalk.

I guess I just want to know what to call it.. sidewalk strolling? :hmm:
Everyone seems to be talking about only one type of street magic (strolling magic in the "streets"). I have never seen a magician in the style of David Blaine or Gregory Wilson out on the street. What I have seen countless times are magicians in closed off streets and high-volume tourist areas setting up a stand-up like show in a street environment. They gather a crowd, and perform a complete 15-20 minute show surrounded in a circle by spectators. These magicians usually gather quite large crowds. I believe that this is the form that we call "Street Magic."

Strolling magic in the streets is only marginally different from strolling magic in another venue (such as a block party, etc.). However, this type of street magic is very different from regular stand-up magic (in which you are given a time slot, are being paid (usually), and are in front of an audience on a stage, raised platform, or other designated area). It requires a special talent to gather a large crowd, keep their attention for 20 minutes while performing a stand-up act SURROUNDED, and impressing the audience enough so that they tip you.

-Roy Holiday
Message: Posted by: Alexander the Magician (Jul 5, 2003 11:15AM)
Aside from payment method, how is that different than say, me working a banquet hall in one spot at a table? I've done things like that indoors, for a flat fee... There is a large difference (to me) between walking around a party doing magic for patrons who (hopefully) know you are there, and getting paid by the host of that party to be there for a certain period of time; and walking around on the street working for tips from absolute strangers who have no idea who you are or what you are doing. The style is certainly different as well, you won't walk around on the street in a tux... I would hope.

I think there are many very different types of ways to perform magic, and many different combinations (a busker might get paid by a company to push a product with his magic making it similar to a trade show set, but on the street. I've doing community gatherings outdoors and done 'strolling sidewalk' magic for one of the restaurants I work at, strolling while trying to bring people to our place... the list goes on.

Unless someone comes up with a systematic combinable way of describing these things, I don't think anyone or the art itself is suffering from me calling David Blaine a street magician. It's what people know him as, it's the vocabulary term the culture uses. David Blaine strolls, this is the form the culture calls "Street Magic"

David Blaine is a street magician. Jim Cellini is a street magician. Jim Cellini is a thousand times better than David Blaine.
[quote]
On 2003-07-03 03:51, marko wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

Then the question arises, what does actually constitute "street magic"? :confused:

[quote]
On 2003-06-08 03:13, iamslow wrote:
Jeff Sheridan is my pick.. he's the original old school New York bad %$# street magician! :snail:
[/quote]
Yeah, saw him years ago in Central Park! Man was he good! :wow:
Lance Burton, David Blaine, ME .Those are my picks
I know there are excellent street magicians out there, but I don't know who they are. I'm going to go with David Blaine like most people. If there was more specials with many other street magicians, David Blaine would probably be on the bottom of the list.

It would be good if a special came on every friday with a few different street magicians each time.
Ok--forget DB and CA.

Harry Anderson was such a great street performer--he now travels everywhere and has 2 shops. I guess he would be my pick for favorite street magician...but then again, he's also my fav. magician in general! :blush:

Ellen
[quote]
On 2003-06-08 03:13, iamslow wrote:
[/quote]
I'm even quoting myself... does anyone agree?? I've seen some very rare footage from a movie projector of Jeff doing card manipulation SURROUNDED!! I still think he's king...
My picks would have to be Bob Sheets and Allan Hayden both very funny.

Joe
Just my two cents...

The whole point of me getting into magic is to become a "street magician" or whatever you want to call it. I think that the idea of grabbing the unsuspecting attention of passersby who were otherwise going to get coffee or shopping for shoes and then suddenly finding themselves in the face of something that they don't understand and are amazed by, is a truly beautiful gift to the world.

Everyone needs a little brain candy every now and then, just to show people that their is more to life than sitcoms and things that stay crunchy in milk.

I like Blaine. I've read the countless debates and have come out clean on the other side. Laymen dig him. Plain and simple. Peoples' days are brighter after seeing him do something that we, who are in the art, know how to do but they have never even imagined. So, I salute him.

Chris Angel on the other hand just annoys me, and I can't even really put my finger on why. I think he just reminds me of that pseudo-gothy kid in high school who cuddles his Dungeons & Dragons user manuals a little to tightly. But, pardon my hypocrisy, he does have skills.

On a lighter note, I would sell my grandmother to gypsies as livestock to see Harry Anderson live. Much to my grandmother's chagrin, I'm sure.

I've yet to muster up the brass to get out there on the street (or sidewalk) and do it, but then again, I'm new to this scene. But I'm madly in love with it and can feel the time for me to test my mettle on the public turf, stalking me in the waving amber grasses, tensing itself to strike.

And once that happens... maybe then my opinions will be worth some salt.

:bikes:
Message: Posted by: pasteboardforbrains (Jul 21, 2003 10:37AM)
Lance Burton.
That's all that I'm going to say.
I would have to go with Cellini.
The top Street Magician is considered to be Cellini, he has videos and lectures about street magic. The most popular or know street magician is Jeff Sheridan, who just released a DVD, http://www.hocus-pocus.com.

Gazzo is considered in the TOP 5 Street Magicians in the world, he also has videos out. I considered him the highest earner. He knows how to work the streets but his style is not for everyone.

If you can do a great show on the street you can do a great show anywhere.

G0THIKE
I'm not stuck on myself, however one does have to believe in himself or no one else will. So I have to agree with the fellow from England (gary a) who said his favorite street magician is, and I quote "Me." Thanks gary a for the vote of confidence.

p.s. I'm making a good living at magic. I enjoy it more than anger management, it's less stressful.
G. :magicrabbit:
G. :) :coffee: :nose:
Cellini and Gazzo would have to be my choice!
I have never seen Gazzo perform live (just on tape) but I think what I saw was great.

What can I say for Cellini, I have seen him lecture twice, and the only thing I can say it GO SEE the lecture! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
[quote]
On 2003-06-25 22:26, mastermagician91 wrote:
Sorry, but since when was David Blaine and Chris Angel NOT been considered street magicians. I mean, most of their episodes are titled:
David Blaine Street Magic, or Chris Angel Street Magic. Someone who PERFORMS street magic is considered a STREET MAGICIAN.. (I think.. lol) I'M CONFUSSED! :bawl:
[/quote]

No a street magician is someone who busks using magic on the streets. Quite rare nowadays. David Blaine and Chris Angel are close-up T.V. magicians not street magicians.
My favorite are Gazzo & Robert Bloor.
And let me tell you, Bloor is absolutely unbelievable! I've never seen anyone like him!
Does Brad from ellusionist count?
One can only hope not.
[quote]
On 2003-06-25 22:26, mastermagician91 wrote:
David Blaine Street Magic, or Criss Angel Street Magic. Someone who PERFORMS street magic is considered a STREET MAGICIAN.. (I think.. lol) I'M CONFUSSED! :bawl:
[/quote]

Confusion is understandable, but magicians have very definite fields that various types of magic fall into.

A magician who sets himself up on a sidewalk or in a park and manages to gather an audience around him during his performance is considered a street magician. A magician who walks up to people and performs one or two tricks is considered a "strolling magician" no matter if he's strolling in a party or on a sidewalk.

I've never seen Gazzo. I saw Cellini in the threatre district once (and I think he was in Tannen's once and played a flute that was built into his staff.) I'd seen Jeff Sheridan several times, now [he] was great! :wow:
I would say David Blaine is a great street magician. Well it would be bold to say that he is the best out there but he is certainly one good street performer. Not only that he is able to break the barrier between his spectator and him. He is able to do so without jeopardizing his part as a real magician.
Jeff Sheridan, Cellini. Jeff Sheridan is my favorite. His card manipulation is amazing, I feel that he is technically a more sound performer at manipulations than Jeff McBride, but JM does stage magic, so...
David Blaine - close-up, NOT street. That's all I gotta say about it. But I enjoy watching him. But he is NOT classified under being a street magician, the name of his first special is misleading. Many people think he is a "street" magician because he does magic on the streets, while this isn't the definition of a street magician.
My vote goes to Cellini -- but mainly because I haven't seen the performances of some of the others who have been named here (e.g., though I've met Bob Sheets, and believe he's probably terrific on the street, I just haven't seen him in action there).

There's my two cents (and one dropped name).

Tim :)
Jeff Sheridan is awesome. I always thought David Blaine until I saw Jeff Sheridan. Get his DVDs and you'll see what im talking about.
Just saw this thread for the first time today and, wow, was I stunned to see *my* name among some of the greats (Cellini, Gazzo, and the like). Thanks, S2000!

I was lucky enough to work Philadelphia street for almost 15 years, as my sole source of income. (And, at the risk of bragging, I made a good income! Bought a house, cars, put my stepkids through college, etc.) In all that time, I saw a lot of other buskers work while passing through town. Some of my favorites not (yet) mentioned here:

- Will Soto, from Key West. Talk about a guy who invented a character, and lived it. I saw this guy gather and stun a crowd of 250 (yeah, I counted) with nothing more than a Needle-thru-Balloon and a poem he recited to himself. After the show, everyone dropped (paper) money into the hat; in my mind, there is no bettr measure of greatness.

- Fred Anderson, formerly of the Flying Mizmos out of SF. Hysterical, seemingly impromptu every show, maximum return on minimal investment. Any magician watching got a lesson in crowd management in every show. (I still delight in telling about his routine with a mylar tie wrapped around his forehead, and the ritual killing of a balloon doggie. Priceless!)

- Chris Capehart (another Philadelphian!). Simply The Best Linking Rings There Is. Period. (Plus, having a bunny who sports an Afro can't be bad!)

And, hey, these are just some magicians I've seen out there; there's "magic" in so many other art forms as well! I've seen puppeteers who can make an audience cry on command (yeah, Duke, I'm talking about you!), a "glass harp" player that produced the coolest music you've ever heard, and on, and on...

There are those in this thread who've said they've never seen a busker live ("I've only seen [insert famous name here] on TV/DVD/etc"). As I read those posts, I thought, "Shame on them! They're missing the juiciest parts!" Folks, do yourself a favor; put down the Book/DVD/TrickOf The Month right now, get your butt out of the magic shop or out of your basement, find some city streets where this stuff is really happening, and WATCH. If you keep your eyes open, you'll get a priceless education, and it'll only cost you a couple of bucks after the show. Money/effort well spent!

OK, I'm done. (For now, anyway!) Thanks for listening!
Rich -

I recall, the South-Jersey-tent's-in-back-past-the-pool-thanks-for-entertaining my mother-in-law-here's-a-tip, story.

That right there puts you in the top ranks.

;)
Message: Posted by: Heavens to Mercitroids (Aug 16, 2003 04:16AM)
I was just kidding!!!
Cellini! Yeah, definitely Cellini!
Mine is David Blaine (OK, OK I know) and for sure Lance Burton, he rocks the house. I like his grace and style.
Gregory Wilson.
I don't know why you all say David Blaine doesn't count. I think he is a good street performer. BUT, I still think that Greg Wilson is the best after seeing [i]On The Spot[/i]! :D
Let's face it, there is only one. All the others people discuss are not even close. Never will be.

When you ask a random geezer off the street to name one, his name will come up probably 100% of the time.

I like him because he brought magic out into a new environment. He represents the ghetto and the people of the ghetto. He knows where he came from even at this stage where he receives great fame.

Fair enough, his "tricks" might not be the best, but when you judge any magician it should be based not only on his technique but also his character and personae.

When he came to my country the first place he wanted to go was Brixton, a rough area and quite frankly. Even the people who live there fear for their lives everyday they walk out the house. Regardless of the bodyguards that he may have had, it would have been a brave thing for such a person. Incidently, "because of traffic" they sent him into Oxford streets instead, where the rich and famous wander around, and so he hated it. I'm also disgusted at the way people from my country are treating him at the moment, and when I finish university, I'm gettin' out there first chance I get.

He is the greatest I've ever seen, genius, and you know who he is.

.peace out.
Cellini and David Blaine (even though he was exposed, he's still good)
Why have so many people got a problem with Blaine? Don't get me wrong, I don't rate him as one of the greatest performers of all time, but he definitely revolutionized street magic.

I think people are just cheesed-off because he was the first to do this kind of show on TV. The proof of his effectiveness can be seen by the reaction from the people on the street. (Sorry, sidewalk—otherwise he would be hit by traffic. Huh? Then no one can be a street magician.) To me, Dai Vernon, Michael Ammar, Paul Harris, John Carney and Bruce Cervon are the best magicians (not street) but that is my opinion.

andre
south africa
ajcombri@telkomsa.net :bikes:
Message: Posted by: masterofmindcontrol (Sep 21, 2003 02:10PM)
At least the likes of Jeff Sheridan and others do real world routines that actually can be performed on real streets without the need for four or five retakes. David Blaine is, in my opinion, a TV magician only (in the context of street magic).

In fact, I don't think he'd make a dime (if he were not famous) busking on the street. He just does not have the personality to get an edge, pull a crowd and do the bottling (industry term for getting the cash).

OK, he looks good on TV but I'd happily have a competition with him to see who could make the most cash busking on any street, anywhere in the world using nothing more than one ordinary ungimmicked deck of cards, no stooges, no hidden gimmicks, just relying heavily on skill and personality and the ability to entertain a crowd in real world conditons! :bubbly:
I always thought that David Blaine was not a street magician, he was just a magician who did magic on the street for TV shows. I would think that a true street magician is one who makes his living or at least part of his living perfoming on the street and then passing his/her hat. I've found that anyone can do magic on the street but to make a living at it...these very few gifted performers are the true artists.

Ninety-nine per cent of the magic performers who even try this form of magic fail. Of those I have seen who are great, only Gazzo, Ken Lightfoot, Nick Nickolas and Ken Sonken come to mind. I know there are a few other, but they are the ones who I saw perform many times on the street and who hold hundreds of people spellbound!
Is David Blaine a magician? I don´t think so...No, I´m not radical, I just think that the art of magic is completely different from the persona that Mr. Blaine incorporates.

My favorite street magicians are: Penn and Teller (yes, think about that), Jeff McBride and Jeff Sheridan. I can´t tell about Cellini, because I don´t really study him a lot. I´m 18 now but I´m sure that when I get to study the way he did street magic, I´ll be enjoying it as much as I can. :banana: :cucumber: :pepper: :carrot:
I love Gregory Wilson. He may not be a street magician, but in his [i]On The Spot[/i] videos he did a very good job in the streets.

Markus
Gregory Wilson. Even though he tried to pick up my fiancee in 2000 at a convention.
:sun:
Apollo Robbins (one of the most amazing pickpocketers I've seen in a good while)
David Blaine for sure. Chris Angel seems artificial and he bores me.
Hands down—Jeff Sheridan! He can transform the street into a magical world and have a huge crowd of New Yorkers standing with their mouths open. An amazing, magical performer with exquisite slight of hand.

By the way, Jeff Sheridan does it without cameras, a crew, and retakes.
I don't like Blaine but he has done a lot for the public's view of street magic. Cellini is great, so is Gazzo, never seen Sheridan myself...but try Googling "best street magician" and see for yourself...

Nick
I think Harry Murphy is right, how do you define “street magician”?

If Ricky Booska would have put a little finer point on his original question there may have been less consternation. It is, however, an interesting question. If Ricky means a magician that was making a living of some sort, doing magic on the street for tips, that someone has seen IN PERSON, I would say Penn and Teller. I used to watch them juggle and do magic outside my studio at New Market in Philadelphia every weekend in the summer.

Harry Murphy makes a good point in that I have no idea how much time David Blain “has spent on the street” working for tips. Doing a very good TV extravaganza filmed on the street may (or may not) qualify as a “street magician.”

I have also seen Dan White work 30th Street Station in Philadelphia, he was very good.

Fight nice...
Bob
Message: Posted by: Heavens to Mercitroids (Dec 3, 2003 04:05PM)
[quote]
On 2003-10-08 21:17, ludmer wrote:
Is David Blaine a magician? I don´t think so...No, I´m not radical, I just think that the art of magic is completely different from the persona that Mr. Blaine incorporates.

My favorite street magicians are: Penn and Teller (yes, think about that), Jeff McBride and Jeff Sheridan. I can´t tell about Cellini, because I don´t really study him a lot. I´m 18 now but I´m sure that when I get to study the way he did street magic, I´ll be enjoying it as much as I can. :banana: :cucumber: :pepper: :carrot:
[/quote]
Whether you like him or not, David Blaine IS a magician. You don't have to be a part of it, but you should Respect the Revolution.
Heavens to Mercitroids,

I'm not sure what you mean by "the Revolution," unless you're referring to him being on TV? What he's doing is nothing new as far as street performers go. I saw guys back in the 70s doing that. And I'm sure way before that.

But you are right, he is a magician. And he evidently inspired you, which is a good thing.

Al
[quote]
On 2003-12-11 00:03, altoni wrote:
Heavens to Mercitroids...

But you are right, he is a magician. And he evidently inspired you, which is a good thing.

Al
[/quote]
He has evidently inspired MANY magicians and for that he should be respected.
Paul Zennon and David "Look at me everyone" Blaine.

I think Blaine doesn't really deserve all the bad press, he's inspired me and he's very watchable. Like Heavens said, "Respect the Revolution".

I like Zennon's jokey-matey way he does his tricks, like a friendly uncle!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Message: Posted by: Heavens to Mercitroids (Dec 16, 2003 12:41AM)
[quote]
On 2003-12-11 00:03, altoni wrote:
Heavens to Mercitroids,

I'm not sure what you mean by "the Revolution," unless you're referring to him being on TV? What he's doing is nothing new as far as street performers go. I saw guys back in the 70s doing that. And I'm sure way before that.

Al
[/quote]
By "The Revolution" I mean ANY magic, magician or performance style that a lot of people I see on here claim isn't "real" magic. Just because it isn't "traditional" doesen't mean it isn't magic. And obviously you aren't one of those people.

I hope that makes sense. I'm not trying to say Blaine started a new style of performance, because I too saw street magicians doing the same thing he is doing years before I saw his first special. I'm also not insinuating that he is leading any sort of "Revolution." I am just using the "Revolution" reference as a type of synonym for "Change". It really has nothing to do with Blaine per se. It just seems he is the most in-the-spotlight magician that fits into this catagory.
Another vote for Gregory Wilson, an impromptu genius.

Jack :spinningcoin:
Words in our language evolve and change. That is the meanings of words change. This is how our language came to be in this melting pot we call America. Consider that when the majority of the culture accepts a change in the meaning of a word, it soon becomes standard. Perhaps Blaine is changing, (albeit not intentionally) the definition of the word street magic, or at least augmenting it. Look in any dictionary and you will see several numbered definitions for any given word. Perhaps since the culture now accepts Blaine's magic as "Street magic" we whon are the elite should augment our personal dictionary to conform to what people are saying, otherwise, we may end up as fuddy duddies, out of step with the times. And that is my point. The public doesn't give a rats furry but about how we magicians define street magic. Blaine has done it. He has gotten into the public conciousness whether we like it or not. Whats done is done. It won't likely be undone. To millions of people he is now street magic personified. They have now added that word to their dictionarys, but we magicians insist on correcting and changing that. Umm, excuse me, but that is called banging our head against the wall. We should cherish the old definition of the word in our heart, but learn to speak the language of the people, and not expect them to conform to our expectations. :sun:
Paul Harris and Jeff Sheridan are great.
[quote]
On 2003-09-21 12:35, andre combrinck wrote:
Why have so many people got a problem with Blaine?[/quote]

Because he is not doing any proper magic. I'ts all just camera trickery and stooges and I have proof! And also that he's getting millions when proper magicians don't get anywhere near that much.
Best regards, Tom :angry:

Oh and I would just like to add that it is CRISS Angel.
Not CHRIS Angel
Regards, Tom :mad:
Message: Posted by: Heavens to Mercitroids (Jan 11, 2004 07:18AM)
[quote]
On 2003-09-21 12:35, andre combrinck wrote:
Why have so many people got a problem with Blaine?

On 2004-01-11 06:43, m.s.magic wrote:
because he is not doing any proper magic its all just camera trickery and stooges and I have proof!and also that hes getting millions when proper magicians don't get anyware near that much
Best regards tom :angry:
[/quote]

OK.........The Proof?
Right David. On his Vertigo video did healed and sealed soda (empty crushed can is restored), well I and many other people have this trick and it is impossible to just go and get a can off someone (the people picnicking). They are stooges and many people would agree with me!
Best regards, Tom :firedevil:
Message: Posted by: Heavens to Mercitroids (Jan 11, 2004 10:19AM)
[quote]
On 2004-01-11 10:30, m.s.magic wrote:
Right David. On his Vertigo video for that healed and sealed soda (empty crushed can is restored), well I and many other people have this trick and it is impossible to just go and get a can off someone (the people picnicking). They are stooges and many people would agree with me!
Best regards, Tom :firedevil:
[/quote]

THAT is your "Proof"?

I'm not convinced.
Anyone who is a really serious magician will know that David is really fake. But loads of beginners really like David because they don't know enough to know all his stuff is badly fake!
(My opinion)
Best regards, Tom

P.S. Don't mean to offend.

:bat:
Message: Posted by: Heavens to Mercitroids (Jan 12, 2004 01:27AM)
I'm not offended by any means. Believe me, I'm not THAT big of a Blaine fan...I really just thought you had some "Proof" on his specials being "All" camera trickery and stooges.

Remember..."How else could he" isn't "Proof."

By the way, I like Criss Angel too. And even though I am a fan of both Blaine and Angel, I'm well aware that neither of them is all they are appear to be. But, I also know that they aren't as BAD as people say they are. Both have an emormous amount of skill, and talent, and deserve all of the fans, praise, exposure, and money that they both recieve.
There is a wonderful man named Julian Stanley who performed in Central Park every week for years. This man took up magic at age 60. Learned & loved the classics. He never hustled money, but people were happy to give it up. He was a gentleman and loved coin magic, cups & balls, gypsy thread, linking rings, sponge balls, McDonald's aces. He was a regular at Ruben's Restaurant, where magicians used to meet on Saturdays. Maybe nobody has heard of him but during 80s-mid 90s he was the only street magician out there on a regular basis bringing smiles & wonder to coutless crowds of people. A real worker for the sheer love of it, he was known around as "Stanley" the cups & balls guy.
David Blaine is the undisputed king of street magic, like it or not. Here in the US, success is measured in dollars and press, and it would be impossible to name a street magician who has done as well there.

Brad Christian is beginning to make inroads, but he is really only known to magicians right now.

The real reason so many people don't like Blaine is that they are jealous. They think, "Hey, I can do those simple tricks, he isn't that good, why don't I have a million dollars and a TV special?". But remember, magic is in the eyes of the spectators, not the hands of the magicians, so it is irrelevant what forms of trickery he uses.

Not doing proper magic? It's all trickery, whether accomplished with a camera & stooge or 17 years of practicing in front of a mirror. Of course, guys with 17 years of practice in front of a mirror and study of arcane texts must feel pretty stupid when they look at Blaine's fame and fortune.
Gazzo, Cerline are the top street buskers.
But as for Blaine, I have been selling the tricks he bought for years. Now thankfully I am asked all day long, "Do you know how he bit the coin? Yeah, sure for $30 pound please, you can do it too. What about the rising card? Yeah, sure. $10."

He has done well to make magic and himself popular. He has made his fortunes through the streets, but not while on the street. The guy is good at what he does, which is self promoting. He has made magic popular, but as for passing the hat, the noble task of entertaining and making you laugh and then parting with your well earned cash, you have to leave that to the buskers at the shopping mall near you. Until you taste the open air stage as you step out to entertain, you don't know really what I am talking about.
The difference between Blaine and a busker is the difference between The Spice Girls and Bob Dillon.
The Spice Girls made their millions; Bob Dillon is in the heart and sung by every other busker.
The only ones that can make a true judgement on Blaine as a street magi I believe are buskers. Blaine as a performer, then that is up to you. :cups:
[quote]
On 2003-08-14 10:59, Rich Cowley wrote:
Just saw this thread for the first time today and, wow, was I stunned to see *my* name among some of the greats (Cellini, Gazzo, and the like). Thanks, S2000!

I was lucky enough to work Philadelphia street for almost 15 years, as my sole source of income. (And, at the risk of bragging, I made a good income! Bought a house, cars, put my stepkids through college, etc.) In all that time, I saw a lot of other buskers work while passing through town. Some of my favorites not (yet) mentioned here:

- Will Soto, from Key West. Talk about a guy who invented a character, and lived it. I saw this guy gather and stun a crowd of 250 (yeah, I counted) with nothing more than a Needle-thru-Balloon and a poem he recited to himself. After the show, everyone dropped (paper) money into the hat; in my mind, there is no bettr measure of greatness.

- Fred Anderson, formerly of the Flying Mizmos out of SF. Hysterical, seemingly impromptu every show, maximum return on minimal investment. Any magician watching got a lesson in crowd management in every show. (I still delight in telling about his routine with a mylar tie wrapped around his forehead, and the ritual killing of a balloon doggie. Priceless!)

- Chris Capehart (another Philadelphian!). Simply The Best Linking Rings There Is. Period. (Plus, having a bunny who sports an Afro can't be bad!)

And, hey, these are just some magicians I've seen out there; there's "magic" in so many other art forms as well! I've seen puppeteers who can make an audience cry on command (yeah, Duke, I'm talking about you!), a "glass harp" player that produced the coolest music you've ever heard, and on, and on...

There are those in this thread who've said they've never seen a busker live ("I've only seen [insert famous name here] on TV/DVD/etc"). As I read those posts, I thought, "Shame on them! They're missing the juiciest parts!" Folks, do yourself a favor; put down the Book/DVD/TrickOf The Month right now, get your butt out of the magic shop or out of your basement, find some city streets where this stuff is really happening, and WATCH. If you keep your eyes open, you'll get a priceless education, and it'll only cost you a couple of bucks after the show. Money/effort well spent!

OK, I'm done. (For now, anyway!) Thanks for listening!
[/quote]

You are right about Will Soto, he hangs out now mostly at Key West, he is a master!
[quote]On Jan 22, 2004, Shadowzen wrote:
David Blaine is the undisputed king of street magic, like it or not. Here in the US, success is measured in dollars and press, and it would be impossible to name a street magician who has done as well there.

Brad Christian is beginning to make inroads, but he is really only known to magicians right now.

The real reason so many people don't like Blaine is that they are jealous. They think, "Hey, I can do those simple tricks, he isn't that good, why don't I have a million dollars and a TV special?". But remember, magic is in the eyes of the spectators, not the hands of the magicians, so it is irrelevant what forms of trickery he uses.

Not doing proper magic? It's all trickery, whether accomplished with a camera & stooge or 17 years of practicing in front of a mirror. Of course, guys with 17 years of practice in front of a mirror and study of arcane texts must feel pretty stupid when they look at Blaine's fame and fortune. [/quote]

In that case, the people at Industrial Light and Magic are the greatest magicians in the world!

If you can't see the effect until you watch the special, the person isn't a magician, they're a special effects artist.

Am I "jealous" of Blaine, no, he got where he is through hard work and hustle. But walking up to people with a film crew is NOT what is considered "street magic" by the majority of magicians, street and otherwise. Gathering a crowd and thrilling that crowd with magic until they feel compelled to give you money to thank you for the entertainment, THAT'S street magic. Let Blaine do THAT with a hidden camera crew and see how well he does.
I think David Blaine called himself a street magician. All he did was normal tricks in front of normal people and celebrities and he recorded until he got the reactions he wanted. He put them on TV to brainwash the mass he was good. I think mannerisms matter in magic, and for some reason I don't like his. He has brought some old magic routines back like swallowing frogs and he gets credit for that, or poking a needle in his body to build up scar tissue. He is dedicated to his art.

C. Angel at the same time was also buying TV shows on A and E and trying to come up with new tricks to keep his show alive. Most in the magic world knows he uses stooges and films for hours to get the reaction he wants. It's great TV magic, but it's all Hollywood stunts. He has had more shows on TV than any other magician.

At the same time of Blaine and Angel, there was a fantastic magician also on TV named Cyril Takayama. It was clear to me that Angel was copying Cyril. Like the 2 people before, he also would film for the reactions. I always thought he was a great entertainer, even if I don't understand Japanese.

I never thought of Lance Burton as a street performer. I picture him doing stage magic. Lance is one of my favorites and would love to see some videos of him performing street magic.