(Close Window)
Topic: List of directories to insert your name into to increase your SEO
Is there a list of directories (good for magicians) that you guys found that linking helped you get higher rankings in SEO? Thanks!

bond
Directory links do little for rankings.
One way to increase traffic would be to include it in your Magic Café profile as well as in your 'signature'.
The Magic Café can be helpful, but if you want the "real work," go to Barnes and Noble or do an internet search to educate yourself on the latest SEO techniques. It can be very helpful.
Dmoz is the only major one that is crawled daily by google...

higher ranking in google consits of a few things..
on page factors
Title tag (write it for the click not the ranking 65 characters)
Meta Description
Meta Keyword (google ignores it but Yahoo doesn't)
Internal linking with proper use of anchor text
Search Friendly Sitemap (xml sitemap for google)
H1 - H3 tag use (make sure its relevant)
Off Page Factors
Inbound Linking (Web 2.0 properties makes this EASY)
Inbound Linking
Inbound Linking
Ohh did I mention Inbound Linking

Books on SEO (I was looking yesterday) are outdated by the time they are published..
The newest book that I found had just a little info on Bing and was published before the launch of Google Caffeine
For UP TO DATE SEO info you need to be a member of one of the online SEO Think Tanks and they are not cheap.. but these people put food on the table by being elite in SEO

For the NON Geek
http://tinyurl.com/negvxb
For the advanced geek
and they are doing a free tour right now
http://tinyurl.com/nmysj2
Hey Mike, some good insight....

"Meta Keyword (google ignores it but Yahoo doesn't)"

This is a common misconception in regards to Google. I performed at a wedding for one of the Google peeps programers a couple of years ago. He would not do my any favs in booting my ranking ups. He said I had to do it the fair way. BLAH :(

Now, what he did reveal that google system takes everything in consideration and then ranks the page. So if your metatags match your content... You get Google points.... :)

Also, they also consider format of the page too. Not if the designs good or not, but the format.
To get back to the original question, you can download an Excel spreadsheet of different directories to submit to (which will give you incoming links), from this site:

http://info.vilesilencer.com/

Look in the very upper right corner, where it says Quick Links - there's a link to "Excel Download"

It will have tons and tons of different directories, some free, others not free.

I did submit all my sites to the directories in this listing and it definitely made a difference in my ranking.

--Jack
Message: Posted by: Christopher Starr (Sep 24, 2009 07:04PM)
Thanks Jack.
[quote]
On 2009-09-23 08:59, MikeClay wrote:

Books on SEO (I was looking yesterday) are outdated by the time they are published..
The newest book that I found had just a little info on Bing and was published before the launch of Google Caffeine
For UP TO DATE SEO info you need to be a member of one of the online SEO Think Tanks and they are not cheap.. but these people put food on the table by being elite in SEO

[/quote]

Mike,

I think that this is an exaggerated statement because it makes the assumption that SEO rules are changing all the time. They really are not. Any book that is currently on the market is going to give you the basics of SEO. For our market this is all most of us will ever need. If you're in the SEO industry (and I was for several years), you can get caught up in every little nuance that really isn't applicable for 99% of the magic sites.

Now I've been out of the SEO business, professionally, for a couple of years and know nothing about what Bing is looking for, yet I still have #1 positions and several Top 10 positions in Bing.

Regarding directories, it's one factor that can help your rankings, but ultimately it's going to come down to the basics - relevant content.
Google only makes money if people doing searches get the results they need. If Google doesn't provide relevant content, then people stop using it and hence,
they stop clicking the PPC ads on the right hand side, which is Google's bread and butter.

Domino hit it exactly. To achieve top rankings, your site must come as close as possible to what the Google algorithm identifies as "the perfect site" based on the
criteria you entered, i.e., your search phrase.

So your job in creating your website is to make sure it is as close as possible to perfect relative to what Google thinks is perfect. That includes content, incoming
links, being indexed properly by Google, and all the rest.

The web is a constantly moving, continuously updating flow of content. You can't let your site and your strategy remain static and not realize that someone else is going
to be working to take your spot.

So you should always be asking yourself, "If I was my customer searching for a magician, what would I want to find?"

That's the crux of your strategy and if you don't nail that, all the keywords, videos, social media, everything won't do you bit of good.

--Jack
[quote]
On 2009-09-27 11:41, jackturk wrote:

The web is a constantly moving, continuously updating
flow of content. You can't let your site and your strategy
remain static and not realize that someone else is going
to be working to take your spot.

So you should always be asking yourself, "If I was my
customer searching for a magician, what would I want
to find?"
[/quote]

Just to expand on Jack's comments a bit. Nothing with marketing is ever "completed". You don't create a postcard and then say you don't ever have to create another postcard ever again. Your marketing should always evolve.

Just by looking at many magician's websites you notice that they take the complete opposite approach. They had a website created 5 or 6 (or longer) years ago and that's it - it's complete. Their mistake is the proactive marketer's advantage. Google will take fresh, dynamic, relevant content over static content. If you haven't changed your content in a while and you're losing rankings - this could be a reason.

That's one of my secrets or rather one of the reasons I've been able to out-rank more established sites in my market. They simply haven't changed their content in several years.

I always have competitors on my mind because I know that one day someone is going to want to rank higher than me so I maintain a couple of sites that give me several top 10 listings and make an effort every few weeks to change the content a little. I don't completely rewrite everything, but make some changes to let Google know the is dynamic & fresh.

It sounds like a lot of work and it is, but it makes getting those top 10 rankings easy.
SEO rank methods DO change all the time. On a whim! Can't prove it, the voice of experience.

J
If I can offer a free site that gives you control over the text and links you post, you can go here: etalentshowcase.com. It's free and has storage for videos/audio/photos.

You can use your stage name as your login and you'll have that address too; sign up as 'jamesbond' and you'll have etalentshowcase.com/jamesbond as your own page.
John,, ya want proof that it changes..
Matt Cutts says on his blog that LAST YEAR the algorithm changes an average of 5 minor times a day and 1 MAJOR change each quarter...

and the keyword tag is still needed for Bing and Yahoo ..
but Google now even says that it's not relevant

http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2009/09/google-does-not-use-keywords-meta-tag.html

Internet Marketing has to potential to be a deep dark rabbit hole that if you dive in you can get lost and never make it back to this side of the looking glass...
On the same note because entertainment is not that competitive (YET) but as I watch more and more of you talk about this and learn about it.. The day is coming (probably a few years out) where your going to need to put a portion of your marketing budget to IM Education..

as far as directories..
you need to be in DMOZ
Guys -

I was helping a friend with his site and he needed some SEO help bad. I had no clue and after doing some google searches I found this book:

SEO Straight Up: http://www.jessalynncoolbaugh.com/seo.htm

It was a quick read and best of all I followed the steps and got him from 10 to number 2 in about a week. Real easy to follow cause I am all thumbs when it comes to the computer.

Best of all when I had a question the author answered all my emails and even talked me through some questions I had on the phone.

At any rate if you want some SEO help and aren't to cheap to spend $15 get this book.

Good luck.

Tim

PS: I don't make a dime from the book, just want to help.
Have different sites for different shows and markets. That's what the big boys do. Generous Motors has a site, but so does Chevrolet. McDonald's Happy Meal has it's own site! You might not want your corporate clients to know that you also do birthday parties, church shows, etc., and even if you don't care that they might think that you are a generalist, they might not want to search thru all the other stuff to get to the info they need. Also you can optimize the sites to the different markets, even to different geographic areas, if need be. And you can have unobtrusive links between the sites. Google might like one site better than the other, while Yahoo likes the other one better.

There is one problem with having different sites. I’ve had so-called SEO experts call me and tell me that my site isn’t doing so well, since there are other sites listed above it. They promise me that they can get my site listed above the others. I have to tell them that those other sites are mine, too.

Have different e-mail addresses for different sites – or even different pages on the same site. This helps you see where people who respond to your call to action are finding you. I haven’t done this yet, but you could even have different phone numbers.

Remember to be both broad and narrow in your search terms. Most of us aren't going to have our sites rank high under “Magicians.” But you might do well under “[Name a City] Comedy magicians.” Be sure to include names for both large geographic areas (e.g., states) and small ones (e.g., communities within a large city). Also remember that your competition is not only (or even primarily) other magicians. Do SEO for “birthday party entertainment,” “Trade show entertainer,” “Motivational speaker,” “Say ‘No’ to drugs program,” etc. -- IF that is what you do.

One rule I always follow is that when somebody calls me, telling me that they are SEO experts and will gladly optimize my website (for a fee), is to check to see how well their own site is doing. Many of these so-called experts can't even get their own sites ranked high.

I also ask those folks how they got my phone number. I’ve never got a good answer, but I suspect they found my website on a search engine, and got the number form the site (how else?)

Some of these SEO experts will tell you that they will get your site list on hundreds of search engines. Since I rarely travel more than a hundred miles from my home in southern California (and don’t really want to), having one of my sites listed on Google India, or a search engine in Singapore, even if the ranking is high, really doesn’t help. One so-called SEO expert even told me that I should change my business (sell magic tricks rather than do magic), so that they could optimize my site for the (mostly foreign) search engines!

Thom
Do everything perfect with your website: you can land in the first position for searching. There also exist 9 other "free" spots you can gain exposure from on the results page of any search . . . directories can place you in those 2, 3, 4th positions etc. . .
[quote]
On 2009-09-29 20:18, HypnotizeAmerica wrote:
Guys -

I was helping a friend with his site and he needed some SEO help bad. I had no clue and after doing some google searches I found this book:

SEO Straight Up: http://www.jessalynncoolbaugh.com/seo.htm

It was a quick read and best of all I followed the steps and got him from 10 to number 2 in about a week. Real easy to follow cause I am all thumbs when it comes to the computer.

Best of all when I had a question the author answered all my emails and even talked me through some questions I had on the phone.

At any rate if you want some SEO help and aren't to cheap to spend $15 get this book.

Good luck.

Tim

PS: I don't make a dime from the book, just want to help.
[/quote]

Must have been a good seller. The price on this ebook is now $47.