(Close Window)
Topic: Top 5 Cups
Dear friends I will like to know your best 5 cups and why? What kind of characteristis do you prefer on these cups? Weight, color, the look, the size etc...

Thanks for your time
Scherzo
Scherzo… my top favorite Cups in no particular order:

1-Riser Mini Copper Cups
A-Size, great for keeping in a sports coat pocket (light weight)
B-They have a deep brown patina
C-They have a great shape and are spun well

2-RNT2 PF Copper Cups
A-Classic style, I like Cups with rings
B-They are developing a patina
C-Size, they fit in my hand well

3-RNT2 Squatty 2 Copper Cups
A-Again classic style, I like the additional rings
B-They have a deep brown patina
C-Size, they fit my hands well

4-Johnson Products Brass Cups
A-Another classic styled Cup (rings0
B-Look fantastic when polished
C-They have a heavy solid feel to them
D-Size, they fit my hands well
E-With a JP Chop Cup I can convert the set to a Combo Cup trio

5-Tie… RNT2 Traditional Copper Cups & RNT2 Phoenix Copper Cups
A-Old school look
B-Large final load capability
C-Traditional Cups are developing a deep brown patina
D-Phoenix 2 Cups look fantastic kept polished with the RNT2 Phoenix balls

I must admit though, there really is not a set of Cups that I don’t like. I am not partial to aluminum Cups do to their weight. I use Chop Cups more then I use 3 Cup sets.

Good luck wit your survey,
Bruce
That is a nice collection of cups you have there! Thanks for your answer I am thinking to buy the JP alminium cup. Have you heard about http://www.cupsandballs.nl they have very nice cups also. What about balls any particular prefernce?

THX
Scherzo
#1 Johnson Brass Set - 3 straight cups and a chop cup
-Perfect for the routine I do. Just perfect for the Mendoza moves.
-They produce the best sound
-I love the weight and feel.Very balanced.
-It has always been my working set

#2 Mikame Wooden Set - combo set with a solid cup climax
-Traditional look
-Beautiful color and craftsmanship
-Very light for a full set
-Looks rare and mysterious. It has a Euro-Asian feel to it

#3 PF Cups
-What more can I say?

#4 Squatty Cups
-What more can I say?

#5 Charlie Miller Cups
- Can't get any more solid than this set!
-Great weight and feel. Truly "A Man's Cup"

I have acquired quite a number of sets. Of corse nothing close to Bill or Richard's collection. After collecting over 65 sets I have come to realize that these are the only sets I use.

I just have to add a 6th set....

Pete Biro's Indian Cups Set that I bought from him some time ago. These Indian Cups are the best in my opinion. I have a dozen Indian Cups set...BUT Pete's are the best. The moves are easier to do. The size and weight is perfect for most hand size.

Mabuhay from Manila!

Rannie
Scherzo… If you have caught Cup Fever you should check out the following websites-

http://www.cupsandballsmagic.com/
http://www.cupsandballsmuseum.org/index.htm
http://www.cupscon.com/index.php?www

But I have to warn you, once you go to these places you will never be the same.
I have always wanted the Auke van Dokkum Cups, I have read many good things about them, and however I have never seen them in person.

Rannie… I am having fun with the Cellini Cups!!!!!

Thanks,
Bruce
Bruce,

I'm glad you are enjoying the Cellini Cups! Aren't they wonderful?
I had the pleasure of handling Auke's cups and spend some time talking shop with him. I must say...the guy knows his subject very well. The cups are well balanced and just beautiful.

Scherzo...Bruce hit it spot on! Good luck!!! The "fever" is quite permanent. Hopefully you find your dream set as I have found mine.

Holler for any thing. As always...you can count on the experts like Bill and Pete!

Cheers and Mabuhay from Sunny (Thank God) Manila!

Rannie
My Fave Five:

Paul Fox set gifted to me from Danny Dew (Nickle plated)
Heavy Brass Antique Indian Cups.
Brass Johnny Paul Cups
Riser Mini Copper cups
Tim Starr Combo set

Don't use, but love my Early Tayade set, Charlie Miller Cups, Leather Unique Studio Chop Cup.

Use more than cups: Rubber toilet plunger for Benson/Rezvani/Thomson Bowl Routine with large Nut finish, thanks to permission from Don Alan.

Cups I kick myself for trading away: Connie Haden silver Slydini Cups, copper set of Paul Fox and my Paul Fox Chick cups.
I don't have a top five, because I don't own five sets of cups.

I only use one set. The Engraved Silver set from Brett Sherwood. I use those because Brett actually dips each one in magic before he sends them out.

http://www.funshopmagic.com
Sherwood - perfect
Paul Fox - near perfect
Cellini - Holds a baseball, tips back easily with a wand, taper fits the hand well
Gary Animal - Animal Cups - Holds a baseball perfectly, classic shape.
Johnson - Very nice ring, great chop cup companion cup, final load a bit small
#1 Cellini Cups (for street work)
#2 Johnny Paul Cups (for sponge ball work)
#3 Sherwood Smooth Silver Cups (for everything else)

No need for a 4 or 5 ;)

Chad
http://www.chadballyhoo.com
[quote]
On 2009-10-13 13:26, ScHeRzO wrote:
That is a nice collection of cups you have there! Thanks for your answer I am thinking to buy the JP alminium cup. Have you heard about http://www.cupsandballs.nl they have very nice cups also. What about balls any particular prefernce?

THX
Scherzo
[/quote]

I've never seen a JP aluminum cup. All the cops I have seen from Johnson Products are either brass or copper.

The cups that Auke van Dokkum makes are among the finest anywhere.

I cannot single out five sets of cups that I would consider to be better than any others; however, my favorite working set is a set of copper Sherwoods. The balance, feel and display capablilities are excellent. The RnT II Foxy II.V cups are also excellent.
#1 PF copper- I like the size and designe
#2 monti cups- some times one single ring is enough
#3 Johnny Paul Cups- traditional style
#4 Bazar de Magia- they are good workers,feel good,look good
and they are/were cheap(i can't believe it's not butter)
#5 Galli Galli custom triple chrome plated (i bought from from MAD JAKE)-
I don't use them but I love to look at
them.
Nice to see ahumada, that you like two of the cups I produced.
Thank you for interest! all of you have been very helpfull. All I want to do is get my set of cups! How about Mikames Cups (Solid Steel) has anyone seen them or work with them?

Thx folks
Scherzo
The Mikame cups are stainless steel, which is not exactly the same thing as solid steel. They are nice cups, but I don't know why they chose to make these cups this particular size.
Based on personal preference for design, weight etc:

Sherwood
Paul Fox
Sisti
Gary Animal (Love or Babe)

The fifth spot might go to a variety of different sets depending on mood, weather, wind direction etc: either Johnny Paul, Foxy II.V, mini PF, van Dokkum standards or Johnson.
Thanks Bill for your answer, but what do you mean with a particular size for the mikame cups?

thanks
Scherzo
The Mikame steel cups are smaller than a set of Paul Fox cups, but are not really small enough to be considered a mini cup.

Perhaps you should visit the cups and balls museum and learn more about the cups.
You guys get way to hung up on the different styles of cups.
Please don't take this as any form of dis-respect, but, Mr. Bill Palmer, I'm new here, and as I read various posts, you chime in on many, very good information is added, but, I'm just wondering, who are you, what is your background etc. etc. As I said I'm new but .... others that may be aware of who you are are in the "Circle", let the rest of us in, Just because you have 24 hour a day to post, makes you a guru, is it true? yes or know will suffice. thanks in advance, an admirerer, spelling is not my virtue.
I only have 2 sets , both of which I like.

Cheap copper Empire's

and

RnT II Surgical steel brushed Monti's
[quote]
On 2009-10-14 23:34, cns wrote:
Please don't take this as any form of dis-respect, but, Mr. Bill Palmer, I'm new here, and as I read various posts, you chime in on many, very good information is added, but, I'm just wondering, who are you, what is your background etc. etc. As I said I'm new but .... others that may be aware of who you are are in the "Circle", let the rest of us in, Just because you have 24 hour a day to post, makes you a guru, is it true? yes or know will suffice. thanks in advance, an admirerer, spelling is not my virtue.
[/quote]
No.

PM'ed you.

Posted: Oct 15, 2009 2:03am
One set that is really good is the Foxy II.V by RnT II.

In a recent test, that set of cups displayed balls very well and it holds a tennis ball as a final load. The weight of the copper cups is also quite good.
Message: Posted by: cupsandballsmagic (Oct 15, 2009 03:40AM)
CNS, all you have to do is to look at Bill's signature, there's enough information there to form your own opinion after you have visited his site(if you have not already, judging by the comment "Just because you have 24 hour a day to post, makes you a guru, is it true?")
As far as being too hung up on Cups… It is really no different than other hobbies I am into. In the audiophile world these same conversations go on about interconnects, speaker cables, phono cartridges, speakers and such… and can be more costly then Cups.

Take care,
Bruce
I don't have enough experience to determine which is my favorite cup, but for now I am working with my Mendoza cups from RNT-2 that I like very much.

I have never touch a set of Sherwood cups and would not have a clue to how they handle, but one day I would like to own a set. Maybe next year I will buy if they still have them in stock.
[quote]
On 2009-10-15 02:03, Bill Palmer wrote:
One set that is really good is the Foxy II.V by RnT II.

In a recent test, that set of cups displayed balls very well and it holds a tennis ball as a final load. The weight of the copper cups is also quite good.
[/quote]

Thanks Bill, I will check it up in the museum.

Scherzo

Posted: Oct 15, 2009 11:07am
Thank you everyone for your thoughts and opinions they have been very usefull for someone about to enter in this huge universe of cups and balls.

Greetings
Scherzo
I know that the timing of my posts here and there make it appear that I do nothing but sit in front of a computer all day long. Actually, I spend far less time at the screen than might be imagined.

I turn on my computer network when I am having breakfast, sometime between 10 AM and 11 AM. After breakfast, I check my e-mail and drop by the Café. I'm usually done in 30 minutes, then I head off to the Post Office, run my errands and watch whatever I have on my DVR.

I check my e-mails again in the late afternoon, and make the rounds of the Café. Then I come back again after the 10:00 news.

It all depends on what it is interesting!
What??? Ypu don't play music anymore Bill? That would be terrible my friend! Pick up the old banjo!

Take care Bill and see you soon!

Mabuhay from Manila!

Rannie

PS thanks for everything my friend!
I still play the banjo, too!
Hmmm...top 5 cups I like.

#1 Sherwoods...all of them.
They have the right weight and feel, and I enjoy performing with them.

#2 Riser Jumbo Cups
They take a baseball and have a great weight and classic look to them.

#3 Original R-N-T Brass Monti Cups (Church Bronze to You collectors)
I like the weight and feel, and they have a coating on them that keeps them shiny. I have used those cups for 12 - 13 yrs now. They hold three suede 1 inch balls on the top stacked, and mine were custom spun for me. Only two sets like it ever made that I know of. I sold my backup set years ago.

#4 Sisti Pro Cups in Steel.
Great weight, though a little on the smaller side. I enjoy practicing with them, but due to them rusting have only performed with them once. That problem is getting fixed well, and I will be using them a lot more from now on.

#5 Johnson Products Cups
They are consistent, they are pretty and, again, are balanced well. I enjoyed performing with my JP cups up until I got my Sherwoods. They again are a little on the smaller side, but are great cups for the money.

Cups I like, but have sold or traded:
Paul Fox cups
I liked my Paul Fox cups, but was looking for something to take a bigger load. They performed well, but felt a little on the light side to me. I have handled the new Paul Fox cups from RNT2, and they have a better weight than I remembered and are very, very nice.

Foxy 2.5's
Not a bad cups in any way. I liked 'em, just not enough to keep 'em.

Auke Van D cups
I handled a number of sets and liked the feel of them, as well. They were expertly made and always consistent. Good, durable cup.

Busby Paul Fox Cups in Steel Chromed or Stainless Steel (heavy)
A friend owns a set of these that he used for a long time. When we sessioned 15yrs ago, he used to let me use them. They are heavy, durable and very nice cups, too. Easy to use and actually helped me get a few moves down pat faster than the RNT Monti cups.
It's interesting about the "church bronze" Monti cups. Mike Brazill claimed that he didn't make any brass cups. The number of sets of "church bronze" Monti cups varied each time I heard the story about them. Sometimes there were six sets, other times there were 10 sets. And sometimes, there were two.

Adding to the confusion over this was the lack of clear records of production. I purchased what was supposed to be the archives of Rings and Things from Mike four years ago, but somehow the production figures weren't included in the price.

Another confusing factor in this is the different bronze and brass alloys, themselves. It used to be easy to tell brass from bronze. Brass was yellow; bronze was red. Brass was principally copper and zinc; bronze was principally copper and tin. These days, you can find brass and bronze in just about any color from white to purple, all depending on the trace metals that are added to the mix. Turkish cymbals, which look like brass, are made of a metal that their makers insist is bronze.

I've run across this same situation in my other occupation -- banjo setup. Most professional level banjos have a part called a "tone ring" that is made of a yellow bronze alloy. Usually this alloy has about 75% copper, a few percent of tin, a few percent of zinc and the rest is lead, which is added to make the metal easier to machine. This stuff looks like brass, but it doesn't sound like a traditional brass at all. Sometimes, the makers of these rings call the material "bell bronze," which it really isn't; sometimes they call it "trolley brass," which is one of those really nebulous terms. And sometimes, they call it "trolley bronze."

So when I list a cup in my collection, I call it by whatever the manufacturer called it -- even if it does look like brass. It simplifies things, especially when you consider that there are over 2000 different alloys that are called either brass or bronze.
The box and invoice say Brass.
When I originally ordered them, they were called Church Bronze Monti Cups.
The box they came in says RNT Monti Cups brass.
The set I have were made special for me because I needed a set that could hold three 1 inch balls on the saddle.
They were made for the Garcia routine.
The bead was made just a bit higher than the other sets to accommodate this feature.
The Suede balls made by Mike Rogers were my balls of choice for these cups, and that was what was used as my standard. His regular Baseballs are just slightly bigger than these and will not fit as comfortably on the saddle.

No big deal.
Mike
I wonder if those cups are the same as my "long skirt" "church bronze" Monti cups.
Hello again,
I must thank Mr. Palmer for a very appreciated and excellent response to my question. The posters on the Café really have a wealth of credible information from this amazing man!! As I am now aware of this, I find it unfortunate that others may not realize and truly appreciate the wealth of information Mr. Palmer can and is sharing.
Again, thank you, Mr. Palmer, for taking the time to PM me and share that information. Your response was far more than I ever expected, and I do appreciate the time you took to respond. You are a truly amazing individual!
Thank you for your kind words.
Bill is just awesome. Period.

My top five:

#1 - Sherwood Smooth Coppers - There's just something about a Sherwood...

#2 - JP Brass - Love the shape of these cups. Wish they were a bit larger.

#3 - JP Coppers - Heavier than the brass and just beautiful.

#4 - RNT2 Mendoza Copper Combos - Nice weight and feel.

#5 - Charlie Millers - Little Magical Tanks.

Now that the New RNT2 is open, I think my next set will be the Foxy 2.5 smooth coppers.
Thanks, dcjames. Finally, someone included the RNT2 Mendoza Copper Combos. I like 'em a lot.
1. Sherwood Engraved Silver Cups - Stunningly beautiful and no plating to chip off. Will last a lifetime.

2. RNT2 Paul Fox Sterling Silver Cups with .70 micron gold interior. Gorgeous.

3. RNT2 Mini Paul Fox Sterling Silver Cups. Pure .925 Argentium Silver. Nuff said.

4. RNT2 Princess I Cups in Copper. One of six sets made. Better than type II.

5. RNT2 Mendoza Copper Combos. Best combo set made period. All around workhorse.
My five favourites (tough choice):

1. Sherwood smooth sterling silver with gold wash interior (#8 of 10)
2. Paul Fox chrome over copper
3. P&L chrome over copper
4. Burtini nickel-plated
5. Riser standard-sized copper
[quote]On Oct 14, 2009, Pete Biro wrote:
Nice to see ahumada, that you like two of the cups I produced. [/quote]

Yes, these were Petes creation. The reason they were triple plated , 1 the brightness of the chrome and 2 they gained little bit more
weight on them. I never made Galli cups. Pete had a great design there.

Mad Jake
The opinions of all these guys is great. But to address the question of the original poster, rating cups, I'm sorry, is really a silly question to ask. I mean seriously, its good to think of these things. But asking other guys opinions of their favorite cups is so vague you will never get a solid answer for YOU. because this is what its about, YOU. now, if you were strictly a stage performer and you asked a stage magician his favorite cup, you might be on to something. if you are a street guy and you ask another street guy his best cup, you might be on to something. but even then, if you ask a pro of 30 years his best cup, and you've only learned about cups and balls, you wont lean anything! here is the best advice I can give: buy a cheap set and learn your routine on it. than after a year of perfect performances see what you think you need and buy accordingly. a heavier cup, smaller cup, bigger cup, wooden or metal cup or what have you.

you can apply this bit of advice to any classic prop of magic.
I just spent weeks going through posts like this and also picking people's minds, like Bill Palmer's, and finally got the RNTII Paul Fox cups in copper, which are gorgeous. In fact, given my current skill level, they are far more than what some people woould think I need. But one of the more sensible things that got said to me by a couple of people I talked to is this: if you have a truly beautiful "instrument" (and your cups are like a musical instrument) you are much more likely to enjoy handling them, playing with them and practicing with them. I started with a fairly cheap set of brass cups and I rarely played with them. If a day goes by that I don't take out the PF cups and do a little practice I get itchy, so this has proved out to be true.

So based on my experience, it is certainly NOT a bad idea to find some nice cups you will enjoy working with right up front, and if you have to drop a little coin on them, then consider it an investment.
About a decade ago, Jim Riser mentioned that we were in a cups Renaissance, and that it wasn't going to last indefinitely. It seems the Renaissance hasn't expired just yet. We are still lucky to have Brett Sherwood and Donnie cranking them out, along with Johnson, a revived Morrissey, and Michael Lee's street cups. And there are others such as Van Dokkum who crank them out now and then, along with the Porper cups. Now is the time to get a nice set of cups, if finances allow.
1. Morrissey Minis- heavier than modern Morrissey. My go to set. Al Schneider uses a set of these.
2. Gary Animal Mega Thick Loves in copper. Great for a tennisball load.
3. Gary Animal "Small Top Animals"- The cups that I used on the Street.
4. PF/DD in brass - Only two cups. Bought them from Ron Alessi. These have seen a lot of use. Definitely "Road Warriors".
5. Smooth Copper Sherwoods- The only set in my top 5 that I no longer own- I do regret trading these. Tempted to get another set.
I have owned over 200 sets but now only about a dozen and a half. I still have a few sets to trade in there's any interest.
Has Morrissey re-opened or changed hands? I thought they closed a couple of years ago.

[quote]On Sep 10, 2015, Leo H wrote:
a revived Morrissey. [/quote]
The three cups I use the most are:
Johnson Brass Cups
Owen Magic Supreme Copper Cups
Sherwood Solid Silver Engraved Cups

:cups:
[quote]On Dec 4, 2015, Bill Palmer wrote:
Has Morrissey re-opened or changed hands? I thought they closed a couple of years ago.

a revived Morrissey. [/quote] [/quote]

Spectram Magic Inc. Here is a quote from their ad in the back of the August 2014 issue of Magic Magazine:

Spectram Magic Inc. is proud to announce that we are now the official manufacturer of all Morrissey Magic metal products.

http://www.spectram.com/vas/
The JP Brass cups are "ok" but a bit of a disappointment.
They are just too small to handle a descent sized load and too small to handle 3 in the attic with a descent size ball.
Brass is nice if you don't mind polishing cups constantly but I love the patina of a copper cup. Beautiful and no work.

Those factors are too important to ignore.

Otherwise, JP are great cups! But at the current price? No way.

I got rid of my JP cups ... and all my other cups once I got a set of Sherwoods.
[quote]On Dec 25, 2015, TheAmbitiousCard wrote:I got rid of my JP cups ... and all my other cups once I got a set of Sherwoods. [/quote]

On the subject of the Brett Sherwood cups, an engraved silver set is up for bid on the Martinka auction for a whopping $1,874.00 plus the 15% buyer's fee:

http://www.martinka.com/martinka/auction/APViewItem.asp?ID=23950
Another vote for Sherwoods.

Great weight.
Just the right size for a tennis ball load
Sherwood uses a rubber ball making for silent loading.
So much thought went into all aspects of a Sherwood set.
[quote]On Dec 31, 2015, taller8 wrote:
Another vote for Sherwoods.

Great weight.
Just the right size for a tennis ball load
Sherwood uses a rubber ball making for silent loading.
So much thought went into all aspects of a Sherwood set. [/quote]

Do you mean a rubber core for the 1 and 1/8 crochet balls? Sherwood's final loads are extremely light. By the way, that set of silver engraved Sherwood cups sold on that Martinka auction for $2,224.00 plus the 15% buyer's fee. Oh my...
#1> Auke Van Dokkum Jumbo Stainless Steel Cups. These cups are simply STUNNING, in their look and handling.
#2> RnT2 Copper Satin Mendoza Combo Cups. In my opinion, the best combo cups ever made. The right weight, and the right size.
#3> Hallmarked Copper Paul Fox Cups, by Busby. What can I say about these cups that hasn't allready been said.
#4> Charlie Miller Copper Cups. They take a licking, and keep on ticking. And.....they're great with sponge balls....
#5> Johnson Brass Cups. I got a set from Hank Lee at his shop in Boston the moment they came through the door. I do wish they were a tad bit bigger.
Does Michael Ammar's "fab fruit" (final loads) fit Johnson cups?
[quote]On Jan 8, 2016, karnak wrote:
Does Michael Ammar's "fab fruit" (final loads) fit Johnson cups? [/quote]

I think so because at one point Ammar sold both items via his website. If the Fab Fruit did not fit in the Johnson Cups, I doubt he would have pitched both simultaneously.
About a decade ago, Jim Riser mentioned that we were in a cups Renaissance, and that it wasn't going to last indefinitely. It seems the Renaissance hasn't expired just yet. We are still lucky to have Brett Sherwood and Donnie cranking them out, along with Johnson, a revived Morrissey, and Michael Lee's street cups. And there are others such as Van Dokkum who crank them out now and then, along with the Porper cups. Now is the time to get a nice set of cups, if finances allow. [/quote]

Jake Jr. will be brining back limited run cups and custom cups that customers would like to see. Also, he will be doing some other magical work. The Golden Age of cups will be in production in the very close future.

Mad Jake Sr.
That's good news and a confirmation that the Cups Renaissance is alive and well. Several sets of genuine PF/DD cups recently sold on the big auction site for over $1,000.00 to $1,275.00 for each set. I wonder if that was an isolated incident or a preview of higher prices to come for this his type of cup.
What is the website for you guys Jake?
[quote]On Feb 25, 2016, Mobius303 wrote:
What is the website for you guys Jake? [/quote]

The website is in contraction and probably be till late Summer. My dad an I wa working out out wok the Chevron oil rig in
the Gulf doing some underwater wellding an repair. Cups & other magic is not a priority on a drill bit.

I was on the James Riser page his little cronies ha already casting assertions again me. Magic again will not bel only some
work. Thank you for asking.

Sincerely,
Jake Jr.
Interesting! They don't seem to have very much of the old line of cups in stock. I wonder who is actually doing their spinning for them. Richard Olson, who was their spinner in the past, retired a few years ago. I have a feeling that what we are seeing on this site is the remainder of the products that Morrissey made.

[quote]On Dec 24, 2015, Leo H wrote:
[quote]On Dec 4, 2015, Bill Palmer wrote:

a revived Morrissey. [/quote] [/quote]

Spectram Magic Inc. Here is a quote from their ad in the back of the August 2014 issue of Magic Magazine:

Spectram Magic Inc. is proud to announce that we are now the official manufacturer of all Morrissey Magic metal products.

http://www.spectram.com/vas/ [/quote]
Yes. At least the Fab Fruit items I have in my collection will fit the Johnson Cups.

[quote]On Jan 8, 2016, karnak wrote:
Does Michael Ammar's "fab fruit" (final loads) fit Johnson cups? [/quote]
Seems that the old French quotation from Jean-Baptiste Alphonse Karr is right --
"plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose" -- the more things change, the more they remain the same

Jake, Jr. wrote:
[quote]
I was on the James Riser page his little cronies ha already casting assertions again me. Magic again will not bel only some
work. Thank you for asking.

Sincerely,
Jake Jr.
[/quote]
Who needs 5 sets of cups?
[quote]On Apr 28, 2016, cbguy wrote:
Who needs 5 sets of cups? [/quote]

People who need, or want, 5 cup sets do. But I think the point of the OP was to glean information that would help him in making his own purchase decision(s), whether that be for one set of cups, or more than one.