(Close Window)
Topic: Where do you buy your magic?
Over the past 5 years where have you ended up buying most of your magic? Here’s my answer:

1. Daytona
2. Hocus Pocus
3. Hank Lee
1. MJM
2. Magic Warehouse
3. Penguin
1. Madhatter Magic Shop
2. Williams Magic
3. MJM
4. The trickshop
5. The Magic Café :)
Buy a lot here and MJM magic.
1. Magic Café
2. Genii Collectors Marketplace
3. Penguin Magic
4. Hocus Pocus
5. MJM
HOCUS-POCUS!
Your One Stop Shopping Center!!!
Trickshopmagic.com

Great service and prices
A more interesting question is: How do I create MY magic?
Off-topic... I know. Just a thought....
I'm with Frank, I buy most all my stuff from at Hocus Pocus! I like to support the creator/author directly when and where possible but most often call or visit Paul!

My primary playing card supplier is Costco!

Fortunately for me Hocus Pocus is a 1.75 hour drive North, otherwise I'd be the proud owner of more "Gotta Haves" than I have already! ;)

MMc
I'll buy my magic stuff from local magic shop in Indonesia, but the shop taken from Murphy Magic
Home Depot
OSH
Lowes
Radio Shack
1) The Magic Café
2) Denny and Lee - Baltimore
3) Barrys Magic

If I can't find what I want on the Café I try Dennys, if he doesn't carry it then I will go to Barry, then Penguin or MJM. I have found that going to Dennys and Barrys is cheaper in the long run then online. There have been a few things I wanted but didn't ordered after seeing them in person. Saved hundreds of dollars and nothing added to "THE DRAWER". One of the advantages of supporting your local magic shop.
1) Magic Warehouse -- Good prices and good service.

2) Ace Hardware -- Also good prices and good service! SETH
1.Denny & Lee- Baltimore *Love the service and they are always willing to give advice or recommend something
2. PenguinMagic *shipping is amazing
3. The Trickery
4. Elmwood Magic
1.Denny & Lee- Baltimore *Love the service and they are always willing to give advice or recommend something
2. PenguinMagic *shipping is amazing
3. The Trickery
4. Elmwood Magic
Broadway Magic - Myrtle Beach (brick and mortar)
Conley's House of Magic - Myrtle Beach (brick and mortar)
Paul Harris Presents - (online)
Kranzo Magic - (online)
Sankey Magic - (online)
Denny and Lee's - Baltimore or Vegas which ever shop has what I need (online)
MJM - (online)

I try to buy my stuff straight from the artist. My way of promoting the art.
Thanks guys, this is what I had hoped for. I was wondering if I was missing something.

It is interesting that not one so far, except for me, has mention Hank Lee. I was under the impression that they were one of the biggest companies in the 90’s. Not so anymore. I have gravitated away myself. That’s why I asked, where you have bought your magic in the past 5 years. Things change.

Keep them coming.

PS I agree, Denny Haney is a great person to deal with. Does he still have his pig in his Baltimore shop?
Magic Café
Hocus-Pocus
Magic Warehouse
Wolf's
Denney & Lee's
Elmwood
Viking
MJM and here....
[quote]
On 2009-10-16 10:32, Ken Northridge wrote:

PS I agree, Denny Haney is a great person to deal with. Does he still have his pig in his Baltimore shop?
[/quote]
Yes.
[quote]
On 2009-10-16 02:42, cocomax wrote:
Home Depot
OSH
Lowes
Radio Shack
[/quote]

I'm with Tim. -Craig
Promystic ;)

Darren
The Magic Warehouse and the Trickery have provided excellent service for me.
Richard Gerlitz
Jim Riser
Alan Warner
Wolf Magic
Collectors' Workshop/Viking
5 of Hearts (Colin Rose)
Todd Lassen
Z-wood Magic (Kent Bergmann)
Diamonds Magic in Peabody, MA. They have a huge selection of items in stock. Eddie, the owner can always find just what I need and typically the price is a few dollars cheaper than other retailers.

FYI...their website isn't that great. I usually call in my orders anyways.

http://www.diamondsmagic.com
Use to be Hank Lee's
Now: Hocus-Pocus.
Like Tim, Home Depot, Lowes, and Micheals have worked well for me.
Subjective
The Magic Café
RNT2
Steven’s
Viking

20 years ago it was Tannen's and Hank Lee

Thanks,
Bruce
Hocus-Pocus
Denny

Hocus-Pocus is the best. They have great customer service.

Skip
I always try to support the local brick and mortar store wherever and whenever I travel. But in the last 5 years I have bought from the following off the top of my head.

The Magic Café
Eagle Magic Store, MN
Twin City Magic and Costume, MN
Tannens, NY
Fantasma Magic, NY
Presto Magic Studio, AZ
Hank Lee's
Hocus Pocus
Denny & Lee, Vegas
The Magic Warehouse
Stevens Magic, KS

Max
I like Stevens and The Trickery. Both take care in selecting what they offer their customers.

I also watch Murphys Magic site for new effects I want, and have my local shop order them for me. He gives me a discount for being a regular, and everybody wins. Gotta keep our brick and mortar shops afloat.

As a collector, I buy a lot from Martinka and KT Magic's auctions, as well as The International Magic Auction (closed temporarily). I'll close by saying some of my best bargains have been found right here at the Café. Here we have the best of both worlds. Folks who want, or need to sell the magic they love, and folks who are happy to buy the magic they love. The magic finds a home...everyone's happy.
Hank Lee
Hocus Pocus
Steven's Magic
Magic Café
EBay for hard ot find, out-of-print books
[quote]
On 2009-10-16 18:11, johncesta wrote:
Subjective
[/quote]

Hi John,

It's not subjective. If you went back to all of your receipts over the past 5 years, what companies/outlets ended up with the largest percentage or your business? No need to over analyze this. Just, who did the best job of convincing you to spend your money with them.
1. Hocus-Pocus
2. Hocus-Pocus
3. Hocus-Pocus
Subjective meaning every answer will be different because everyone has varying backgrounds, objectives and criteria. Not anyone creator would wind up with a bigger percentage of my money.

Also when proposing a question isn't there an objective? What's the objective with this question? Is it just for fun?

j
Johncesta,

Maybe the objective is to find out who are the reputable dealers in a positive way instead of asking who has burned you in the past? That kind of thread would get removed.
[quote]
Also when proposing a question isn't there an objective? What's the objective with this question? Is it just for fun?

j
[/quote]
I stated in an earlier post, I just wanted to see if there was something I was missing, and indeed, I was.

I find it interesting how things have changed. Where is Lou Tannen on this list? They used to be my #1 supplier, Abbott’s #2. I really like what Hocus Pocus has been offering and I’m eager to try Magic Warehouse and MJM.

[quote]
On 2009-10-17 10:46, Paul Rathbun wrote:
Johncesta,

Maybe the objective is to find out who are the reputable dealers in a positive way instead of asking who has burned you in the past? That kind of thread would get removed.
[/quote]

Yes, Paul. If suppliers keep coming up on this list, there is a reason. They are doing something right to be able to satisfy a large number of people.
Wow Ken, you hit the nail on the head. For good or for bad, the magic industry (and in this case I mean "industry"), has been turned upside down with the internet. Like so many other trades, either you faced the technology head on, kept up with the technology, or ignored the technology...you would be changed no matter your choice.

Tannen's is a perfect example. At one time they were the Eden of magic stores. So many of my magic buddies made journeys to New York just to visit this shop. They're still an icon, but no longer the boss. It's a whole new ball game. Now when I go to New York I check our Fantasma Magic. My change of heart has been swayed by the internet. Just compare their sites. One has a seductive home page, with a blog and forum, the other has a boring, over-the-counter home page with no modern bells or whistles. I don't need to tell you which is which. Go ahead and explore yourself.

It's a whole new world. And for those of us who like old-world service with modern-day technology, the choices are few...but they are available. And they are the new Tannen's.
MJM, Penguin, and Kreskin's personal private store.
Hocus Pocus, Magic Pro Shop, Magicgeek.com

like them all
Message: Posted by: Monsieur Las Vegas (Oct 20, 2009 02:37PM)
Hocus Pocus, my local magic store and directly orders by creators .
1. Trick Shop Magic
2. Penguin
3. Hocus Pocus

And sometimes I will buy direct from the creator, like Sankey or Mike powers in the past.
" I don't BUY magic , I CREATE it "

- Carl Michael
Illusionist
For those who are interested…

Giving one point to each company each time it was mentioned, here are the 5 most popular places that Magic Café folks have bought their magic in the past 5 years.

#1 Hocus Pocus
#2 Magic Café
#3 MJM
#4 Denny & Lee
#5 Magic Warehouse (Tie)
#5 Penguin (Tie)

Thus proving… I have too much time on my hands.
H&R Books (Hard to find books)
Madhatter Magic (Best Prices)
Hocus Pocus (Fantastic Selection)
Collector's Workshop/Viking
Five of Hearts
Angelo Iafrate
It all depends what I'm looking for. I always stop by the Café first to see if anyone here has it for sale.

If no one has it here and I know who created it I go direct to them. These include Losander and Creative Magic. Both gave me great service.

After that I'll do a Google search for what I want and see who's got it going cheapest.

I don't support any one particular store. Although there are places I won't shop.

People I've used more than once in the past and would use again include:

Alakazam UK
Penguin
http://www.kidshowmagic.co.uk (I think they're only online)
International Magic
Bob Kohler
Penguin
Ellusionist
Theory11
eBay

..only joking! ;)
The Magic Café
MJM
Penguin
http://www.Hocus-Pocus.com
Stevens magic gets my vote
Hocus pocus gets my vote.
First and foremost, I will always buy at a local magic shop:

1) Barry's Magic Shop - Rockville, MD
2) Denny and Lee's - Baltimore, MD
3) Fantasma - New York, NY

Then as a last resort ... only if I can't find what I'm looking for at the local store AND if it can not be ordered by the local store AND if I really, really need it ... then I order online.

1) Theory11
2) Ellusionist

I have nothing against the online shops but I will always support the local brick and mortar shops first. We have lost too many good stores (e.g. Al's Magic Shop - DC).
Wow, I'm surprised no one mentioned http://www.bobsolarimagic.com
Great customer service, you can actually speak with bob himself, friendly and fast service....

Junior :)
1. Alakazam
2. Merchant of Magic
The Magic Warehouse- I normally order online eventhough they are in driving distance. The shipping is low enough that it saves me more money than driving there and I almost always have it next day.

The Magic Café

Barry's Magic Shop

Hocus Pocus

Denny and Lee's in Balitmore
C'mon guys! Support the brick and Mortar shops while they still exist. Unless, of course the prices are WAY out of line. I mean business IS business...
None b&m where I live. none!

j
Hocus Pocus or the actual manufacturer/creator of the effect, like Porper, Lassen, Craig Fillicetti, Wellington Enterprises, etc.
The magic warehouse
l&l publishing
I'm part of the club too johncesta.... I wish I had a magic shop in my area....

bummer
Junior :(
A little diversion in topic:

I would like to support a brick and mortar shop in my area also, but most B & M shops cater to the hobbyist or beginner, and they will tell you so. Frankly, I think it’s a good strategy. IMHO there are too few people that buy a large amount of magic or higher priced magic, while there are many people who dabble.

Other opinions?
IMO Penguin is the easiest on-line magic store to do business with hands down. Free shipping for orders over $20.00 is a great benefit, plus whenever I needed something shipped quickly 9 times out of 10 they oblige and pay the difference for 1st class mail or Priority. I cannot possibly ask for more than that! The best deals are always found at Penguin, and their customer service persons are excellent.

Hocus Pocus is another good shop to buy from. My only complaint is that they have too many special offers with restrictions. I'd rather see them offer monthly specials and/or everyday low prices. Calculating shipping from Hocus Pocus can sometimes be a mystery. It would be better if their specials included shipping costs. The strength of Hocus Pocus is their live assistance. If you have a question about a product Hocus is excellent in providing good information. Paul is also a wonderful guy.

Madhatter Magic shop provides fast shipping and you can often find a handful of excellent specials. They need to somehow separate their costume selection from the magic equipment. It's a hassle to be looking at new items and have to keep clicking past Dracula costumes.

For specialty stores, I've had good experiences from Black's Magic, Outlaw, ProMystic, L & L, and Innovative Deceptions. A brief note to James at Black's Magic: please add an email address for general questions. I've been looking for it for days!

Jared
You guys are lucky. I live in Indonesia, so magic tricks and supplies are either rare or very expensive. I bought some items from MJM and Magic Warehouse, but I had to send them to a friend in USA and he will bring it when he goes to Indonesia.

We do have some magic shops here but they overcharge for almost everything. A trick that will cost me about $20 in most U.S. online shops could reach about $30 to $35 here. For a trick with $35 price tag will be sold around $55 to $65, that is why I can't move on, unless I'm a rich person.

So, any suggestion or recommendation on which shop I should choose? The one with good shipment such as FedEx to Indonesia. Thanks.
I have posted this before, but I favor magictrickstore.com
Great selection, free shipping on purchase over $40, and unbeatable service.
I had a minor problem (not beyond the possibility that I was at fault), and they resolved situation in a manner beyond what I expected. They satisifed me well beyond my expectations, and have earned my loyalty. The pre - ordered items are also delivered very promptly. Does it sound like a I'm a fan?
Magicwarehouse and madhatter, as well as Doug Higley and Outlaw are also top of the heap
[quote]
On 2009-10-25 07:31, Failed Magician wrote:
You guys are lucky. I live in Indonesia, so magic tricks and supplies are either rare or very expensive. I bought some items from MJM and Magic Warehouse, but I had to send them to a friend in USA and he will bring it when he goes to Indonesia.

We do have some magic shops here but they overcharge for almost everything. A trick that will cost me about $20 in most U.S. online shops could reach about $30 to $35 here. For a trick with $35 price tag will be sold around $55 to $65, that is why I can't move on, unless I'm a rich person.

So, any suggestion or recommendation on which shop I should choose? The one with good shipment such as FedEx to Indonesia. Thanks.
[/quote]

Hi there - I recognize your name and I thank you for the orders you've placed with us! While we don't offer FedEx, we do ship with UPS to Indonesia, which will give you a tracking number to follow your package all the way.

However, since you are concerned about money, it should come as no surprise that UPS and FedEx can both be very expensive to ship internationally. Usually, at least in our store, UPS International is more money because 1) it's the fastest way to ship something, and 2) it comes with tracking since UPS employees handle it all the way from our doorstep to yours.

The cheapest (and slowest) way to ship something is generally First Class Mail International, and the next step up is Priority Mail International which generally arrives at your destination within 10 business days. It's probably the most economical "express" type shipping you can purchase.

However, if money is your concern, then doing what you're doing (by sending the packages to a relative in the USA to bring to you) is the most affordable thing to do.
I use MJM for most of my purchases. I also have bought from Penguin, Theory 11, and Ebay
If it is not an online only deal like Outlaw Effects, I get everything from the magic warehouse in Baltimore, he is always the least expensive and ships really fast, also if you stop in his store, your treated like a friend, and allowed to play with things or take a look at a DVD, he also has used DVD's real cheap prices.
I have noticed a trend towards price fixing on certain products. From what I hear a major distributor is setting a minimum price and no dealer can sell below that price.
What do you think of this? Is it good or bad for the industry?
This is my first post.

I thought I would like to contribute. I live in St. Albert (Alberta Canada)

Currently we do not have any B&M shops near. I mostly order online. From the US I have ordered from Penguin and MJM. I got great service from both. In Canada, I have ordered from Morrisey Magic and Spookclub (Spookclub is a local fellow from the Edmonton area). Again great service from both.

I think for me, given the economic times, I usally look for the best value. In case I am ordering a large amount of stuff, I will look at the extras. For example - if you oder over a certain amount, you will get a free trick or DVD. Free stuff is good!

Anyway - my two cents.
A discussion regarding the value of B&M shops could go on and on. I just think it is almost a moot conversation at this point. Those of us who appreciate the presence and atmosphere of a real magic store is lost upon that increasing population of young magicians who never made the trek to his or her dream shop. A place they may have only heard about in advertisements, or word of mouth. It's not their faults, it's just the sign of the times. I'm really depressed by this as magic shops really are magical. No matter how dumpy, run down, sloppy, musty, dark, dingy, unmanaged, dirty, or just plain scary a magic shop could be...they are still magic shops. A place where magicians go.

It will be a sadder world when we have no where to go.
What are the best Magic Shops from USA for International shipping?
Looking for economical shipping rates.
The Cuckoo's Nest - Pittsburgh, PA
Denny & Lee's - Maryland
Barry's Magic Shop - Maryland

These are all good people. Support your brick and mortar shops!!!!
I've bought from many magic online shops in the past and the best in my eyes are
Magic Smith
Magic Depot
Penguin Magic

I have been very very satisfied with all three!
While Magic Depot has free shipping on orders $60. Or over it also has a no hassle return policy.
If you are not satisfied with the product return it no questions asked. And has been very quick to reponsed to my questions. Penguin magic also has great service and quickshipping. Check out any of these sites sure you will enjoy your experence I do.
There's nothing like walking onto a real magic shop. The aroma, the sounds, the colors. The feeling of watching alive demo is amazing,

I'm showing my age. lol.

~Joe
I love real magic shops but there are none is my area. I guess there are fewer and fewer of them now a days.

I just bought a couple things from Penguin and picked the free shipping option (7-10 day). Two days after ordering the items later and I have them in my hands! (I live in Mass and they came from CA) Not sure who should get the credit, Penguin or the USPS! But it looks like Penguin just gave me USPS First Class without charging me so thanks Penguin.

I also buy things from MadHatter, Sankey and True Astonishments as well as EBay. My favorite Ebay dealer is i-magicnation. They recently sent me a replacement spider for Jim Pace's Web because one of the legs was broken. No hassle, fast shipping and great communication.
Is it safe to ask, what dealers, Inter net and brick $ mortar stores have you had negative issues with, I am pleased to say that in more than 35 years of buying magic, I have not had a bad experiance, I purchased bad effects, but , that was my decison,
My three in no particular order are:
Mr. G's Magic (local brick&mortar)
DaytonaMagic (during convention)
Specific creators (IBM Ring lectures)
I have shopped at most of the places named in this post. I would add another that gives fast service: http://www.magictricks.com/. Pete even throws in a free gift.
After years of not magic activities I started to get some materials from:

H & R Magic books
Magic Auction
EBay
There is a large, flat rock out in a field not far from where I live. It is surrounded by trees and not visible from the road. During the full moon, at midnight, I leave gold and food near the rock.

That night I have a dream in which the new magic I need comes to me.

It works like a charm.
[quote]
On 2009-11-11 23:58, Bill Palmer wrote:
There is a large, flat rock out in a field not far from where I live. It is surrounded by trees and not visible from the road. During the full moon, at midnight, I leave gold and food near the rock.

That night I have a dream in which the new magic I need comes to me.

It works like a charm.
[/quote]

Great source, ............ that leaving GOLD would be the stickler for me, the food is no problem, but, ......... that ROCK doesn't take CC or CASH?
Williams Magic Tucson Az

Barry's Magic Shop Rockville Md

Deans Shoppe Glendale Ca

Schoolcraft Precision Palmdale Ca....not a magic shop but a supplier of coin gaffs to enhance tricks or effects bought at magic shops.
Every time I visit San Francisco, I head over to Misdirections Magic Shop. It is a great store, because its owner takes the time to really work with customers. Highly recommended!
I agree with BAGWIZ. I stopped by for a short time on my way to the airport, and really wished I could have spent a lot more time at Misdirections. Very friendly shop, and very well stocked...next time I'm in San Francisco, (probably February) I'll make more time to visit!

Ken
You definitely have to spend more time there, Ken. I don't know how Joe does it, but that shop seems to have EVERYTHING in stock. It really is quite amazing. I've been there on Saturday mornings a number of times and I always enjoy the fact that other magicians are there shooting the bull. I haven't seen that or been part of it in a long time. Also, while it is true that you will probably spend a little more buying things from a brick and mortar shop (in general), I think there is something to be said for having the experience a good shop can bring. To me, it is worth paying more. The retail magic business has to be very difficult (I imagine), so I'm happy to help support a good shop and hope others feel the same way.
Joe Stevens Magic Emporium is way ahead as far as I'm concerned for Joe, apart from being a very nice person in his own name, really appreciates the difference in quality between props. Don't go there for the cheap stuff. Get to him when you want things that you will use for many years and follow his advice. He will not BS you to do a sale and he knows magic and the best magicians inside out.

I bought quite a few DVDs from Meir Yedid (and I like Meir as a person as well)

I bought a few second hand tricks and books on the Magic Café.

I did some purchase at Danny & Lee in Baltimore

I bought a few bits from Hank Lee

For the rest I went either direct to craftsmen (for coin gaffs or penknives) or on E-Bay
I've purchased a number of basic accessory items (rope, etc.) from Ebay.
[quote]
On 2009-10-25 22:12, Wizard of Oz wrote:
A discussion regarding the value of B&M shops could go on and on. I just think it is almost a moot conversation at this point. Those of us who appreciate the presence and atmosphere of a real magic store is lost upon that increasing population of young magicians who never made the trek to his or her dream shop. A place they may have only heard about in advertisements, or word of mouth. It's not their faults, it's just the sign of the times. I'm really depressed by this as magic shops really are magical. No matter how dumpy, run down, sloppy, musty, dark, dingy, unmanaged, dirty, or just plain scary a magic shop could be...they are still magic shops. A place where magicians go.

Agreed!
It will be a sadder world when we have no where to go.
[/quote]
I live in the West Midlands, UK, can't beat Worldmagicstore.com in Birmingham really friendly and always get a coffee.

Russell Leeds
Misdirections in San Francisco Ca

Mr. Magic in Little Rock Ark

Hate I forgot to put them on my earlier post.
For all of those customers outside the U.S. I would like to say that due to the large number of packages we ship we are able to offer Fed Ex shipping at very reasonable rares. Delivery usually only takes about 3 days.

The Magic Warehouse
Misdirections in San Francisco.

Joe is the best, and has done a great job with contributing to the magic community within the Bay Area.
Penguin Magic!

Low prices ( than other shops ) 10% return customer discount and FREE shipping.

Why pay these mysterious, high shipping charges other shops charge?
MJM MAGIC
I generally buy locally at Barry's Magic Shop, and direct from the lecturer's that appear there (such as George Schindler, Michael Ammar, Al Cohen). Next is probably Sankey Magic - I like a lot of his stuff, but generally wait to take advantage of his major promos when they come along. After that it's mostly one-off's here and there depending on what I'm looking for. Lot's of "window shopping" online.
Decades ago, I shopped exclusively at Tannen's (Heck it's all I knew about, then!) I spent a fortune. (Serviceman's pay)

These days it has been Hank Lee for years, (I believe I was one of his first customers) but the last year or two, ol' Hank has taken a second seat to Sankey Magic... tons of stuff from L&L, Hocus Pocus or Theory Eleven, and whatever I can get my hands on from Paul Harris and a few miscellaneous ones along the way
Hocus Pocus and Magic Pro Shop..both very good
Magic Galore and More in Westminster Ca

http://www.magicgalore.net
Diamonds Magic - http://www.diamondsmagic.com
Prices are the best, and Eddie is a great guy to deal with.
http://www.TheMagicWarehouse.com

Best customer service and very fast shipping. I have used them for several years with never a problem. I highly recommend the magic warehouse.

-stephen
My top three in order:
Hocus Pocus
Penguin Magic
MJM Magic

All of them are good for USA and overseas shipping.
I never have a problem with them.
This thread has opened my awareness of the many shops that are out there that I have never really shopped with because of habit. I'm going to take a legal pad and write some of these shops down in a long list.
Dean Dill directly
The Trickery (great phone personal support from Howard)
Brick and Motor shops, wherever I travel
Internet (best value search)
Just began dealing with Bob Solari- google Bob Solari Magic- so nice to talk with a real person (Bob himself) and get GREAT customer service, not to mention same day shipping! I will always check with Bob first before going elsewhere.

RNK
OK, I'll say it since no one else will - NOT Hank's. Feel free to PM me for details.

Good places:

Penguin (the best, IMO, for about eight reasons)
Hocus Pocus
Madhatter
Denny and Lee
Café members
MagicProShop (this place used to be great, then it tanked, but now it's much better again)
Magic Warehouse
MJM
Elmwood
Martini
Barry's Magic Shop (the one I visit in person in the DC area)
Vanishing, Inc.
Ellusionist (my first on-line magic shop, which therefore will always hold a special place no matter what anyone else says)
Tannen's (when they're running a great promo)
L&L (again, when they're running a great promo)
Creators
Hey guys!

I was at Williams Magic in Tucson yesterday and Emory informed me that they are now offering a mobile magic store in addition to their shops. This is a fully stocked magic store on wheels. He's going on a 4,000 mile tour soon so those who do not have shops near you he's bringing it to you. I was able to see pictures of the mobile store and his inventory. I'm truly amazed. Everything they carry in their stores will be available for immediate purchase in his mobile store.

Check out his ad in mum.

Just thought you'd like to know!

Mike :)
You'll do best with a shop you develop a personal relationship with. Someone you can talk about what's good/bad.

Paul over at Hocus Pocus and Bill at Madhatter are real pro's and know their stuff. Triple A service all the way.

Chris
Numero Uno is Sellers here at the Magic Café; You get great prices while helping other magicians at the same time.

2) Magic Warehouse (great prices, service, and stocks some things I haven't found elsewhere)
3) Penguin (known for great prices, vast stock (although often out of stock on many items))
4) Walmart is America's #1 magic store if you know what I mean
5) Michael's craft stores (for the imagineers out there)

Ken
[quote]
On 2009-10-25 12:46, Jeff_Mash wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-10-25 07:31, Failed Magician wrote:

[/quote]

Hi there - I recognize your name and I thank you for the orders you've placed with us! While we don't offer FedEx, we do ship with UPS to Indonesia, which will give you a tracking number to follow your package all the way.

However, since you are concerned about money, it should come as no surprise that UPS and FedEx can both be very expensive to ship internationally. Usually, at least in our store, UPS International is more money because 1) it's the fastest way to ship something, and 2) it comes with tracking since UPS employees handle it all the way from our doorstep to yours.

The cheapest (and slowest) way to ship something is generally First Class Mail International, and the next step up is Priority Mail International which generally arrives at your destination within 10 business days. It's probably the most economical "express" type shipping you can purchase.

However, if money is your concern, then doing what you're doing (by sending the packages to a relative in the USA to bring to you) is the most affordable thing to do.
[/quote]
Hi Jeff, didn't expect that you would still remember that was me LOL! Well, how much is Priority Mail International?

From my opinion, I'm now sure the best ones are:
MJM, Magicwarehouse, Penguin and Madhattermagic.

They provide good offer and excellent service. Perhaps for customers in Asia, these guys could be more gentle in charging for the shipment, that's always been my wish for every single week I go to church :P
I usually shop at Tannen's (for convenience, it is close by me), Penguin (great prices, selection, and a wonderful staff), Magic Pro Shop (GREAT staff, has items that Penguin doesn't sell), and Magic Trick Store (Some of their products are priced absurdly lower than other sites, and they also carry those wonderful Tenyo products!).
[quote]
On 2010-04-21 12:39, Failed Magician wrote:
Hi Jeff, didn't expect that you would still remember that was me LOL! Well, how much is Priority Mail International?
[/quote]

That all depends on the overall weight of the package. When you add items to your MJM Magic shopping cart, you can click the button that says Estimate Shipping, which will quote you the shipping prices for the items you're going to purchase.

In some cases, we can end up fitting your items into a Flat Rate Priority Box which may be cheaper if the overall weight is heavy but the size is small enough to fit in the flat rate box dimensions.

If you need any further assistance, please feel free to contact us through our website so we don't bog down the Magic Café with customer related details. :)
In the uk, the best is Mike Danata based in bournemouth. Really helpful and honest guy.
There are no brick and mortar in my area.. :(

So-

Penguin Magic
MJM Magic
Elmwood Magic
Hocus Pocus
Denny and Lee Magic Studio - Denny Haney
Martini Magic- Marty Grams
MagicVault - Mark Reed
Sorcery With Class - Scott Correll
Barry's Magic Shop - Barry Taylor
Its been a while but I tend to always go from Hocus-pocus, magicwarehouse and that's it, I use to order a lot fom Peguin. Oh yeah the occasional theory11 and ellusionist when its a certain product.
I trust Penguin Magic.

Rock
But as I'm picky and always on tight budget, I will search for days to find the best deals for me. $2 difference could make me order from different store than the last one I ordered from.

Sorry! :)
Their steadfast practice of not providing on-line or in-package invoices which break down shipping costs and any discounts keeps me from using Hocus Pocus much more often than I do.

I'm a lot more comfortable knowing exactly what I'm paying for.
Hocus Pocus year ago said they will update their shopping cart to show shipping charges, Until now they still don't show exact shipping charges. Now all my orders goes to Magicware House. Magicware House show the exact shipping charges and have a lots of shipping methods you can choose.
Yup, I was about to buy from the during their 35% discount fiasco. But there was not shipping options so I don't know how much they will charge me for international shipping (which most of times are expensive). So I gotta sent an e-mail, and got a reply almost a day later, the event was already finished :(

Well, I wasn't that upset as they charge higher than most of the shops I know. But perhaps they should put a shipping options before customers proceed with the checkout.
[quote]
On 2010-04-22 19:34, sharpace wrote:
Hocus Pocus year ago said they will update their shopping cart to show shipping charges, Until now they still don't show exact shipping charges. Now all my orders goes to Magicware House. Magicware House show the exact shipping charges and have a lots of shipping methods you can choose.
[/quote]

[quote]
On 2010-04-23 05:13, Failed Magician wrote:
Yup, I was about to buy from the during their 35% discount fiasco. But there was not shipping options so I don't know how much they will charge me for international shipping (which most of times are expensive). So I gotta sent an e-mail, and got a reply almost a day later, the event was already finished :(

Well, I wasn't that upset as they charge higher than most of the shops I know. But perhaps they should put a shipping options before customers proceed with the checkout.
[/quote]

I have same experience , I heard Hocus Pocus shipping charges are much higher than the other dealers. Before placing an order I email them about the fedex shipping , they told me the shipping by fedex priority is $85 Then I put the same items in Magicware house shopping cart when check out , I choose fedex priority shipping they immediately show me the shipping charges for the whole order is $44.19

So my order goes to Magicware house.....
This might not relevant to the topic, but why did you need Fedex Priority Shipping? It cost you a lot. Why didn't you choose regular priority mail? Do you live outside the U.S.?
Yes,I am mot in US. Airmail needs 15-20 days to arrive. Fedex only 5 days.
This is relevant topic "WHERE DO YOU BUY YOUR MAGC", becuase at first I always buy my magic props from Hocus Pocus because don't know HP charges higher shipping cost than the other dealers. I know Fedex Priority Shipping is expensive, everywhere charge the same rate. But when I found the other dealer charges much cheaper than Hocus Pocus.

So "WHERE DO YOU BUY YOUR MAGC" ? My answer is "Magicware House" their shipping charges are much cheaper than Hocus Pocus.
Ken Sands magic Galore and More located in westminister CA
I loved magiccurios
viking
miracle factory
Bob Kohler, John Kennedy
http://www.TheMagicWarehouse.com
http://waltonmagic.com/magicshop.php
In over 30 years of buying magic, I can honestly say that I've only ever had good experiences. Well, there was one UK dealer who took 21 years to deliver a prop (ordered 1984, delivered 2005!!), but that's another story. Ordering things from Australia is quite expensive postage-wise, but I have always found dealers to be extra careful with the way way they will package goods into more than one parcel to minimize the cost. Most of my orders these days are through Hocus-Pocus - they always manage to choose the best method of getting things to me in the fastest time, be it FedEx, UPS, or USPS. But other dealers offering outstanding service spring to mind, such as Outlaw, The Trickery, Penguin and Viking Magic in the US, and Sean Taylor in Australia. Of course, there are also all those dealers who sell only their own creations, such as Mark Leveridge in the UK and John Mendoza in the US. They are all most courteous and professional in all their dealings. Maybe I've just been lucky, but I really think we magicians get very good service in general.
What's Sean Taylor's website? Maybe it would be cheaper for me to order from Australia too.
I know you're joking Failed Magician, but with exchange rates as they are, it actually might be cheaper to order from Sean - certainly for his own items (like his excellent Mindstorms book or Probe). His is a bricks and mortar shop in Sydney - the website is http://www.taylorsmagicshop.com .

Allan
http://www.MagicPlace.us

Its a new shop in the portland area.
Thanks Allan, I'll check it up.
1) Local magic store
2) Penguin magic
[quote]
On 2010-04-26 06:10, AllanK wrote:
I know you're joking Failed Magician, but with exchange rates as they are, it actually might be cheaper to order from Sean - certainly for his own items (like his excellent Mindstorms book or Probe). His is a bricks and mortar shop in Sydney - the website is http://www.taylorsmagicshop.com .

Allan
[/quote]
I forgot to tell you that I live in Asia.
I live in Aberdeen in Scotland so there hasn't been a brick and mortar shop here for quite some time (as far as I know), so the bulk of my buying is online.

Pleased to report I have nothing but great things to say about all the dealers I've purchased from.

Favoured dealers

Alakazam.com
Dudethatscoolmagic.com
Freepostmagic.com

Always make time to pop into Tam Shepherd's whenever I'm in Glasgow. Love that place and the fact that Roy Walton runs it make it a journey worthwhile every time!!
Stevens Magic

http://www.stevensmagic.com

Bob Phillips
Hocus Pocus
Denny & Lee Magic Studio
Stevens' Magic Emporium
Owens Magic Supreme
Viking Magic
Jamie Schoolcraft
L&L Publishing
H&R Magic Book Store

These are all bookmarked as 'vendors' on my browser. I will sometimes go elsewhere, but that's very rare. No B&M shops near me, but I will try and visit one whenever I am out and about.
Penguin magic in most of cases
or direct from magicians, like jay sankey, michale Ammar
1. Hocus Pocus (by a wide margin)
2. Tannen's
3. Lybrary.com (only for ebooks, obviously)
4. Steven's Magic Emporium

While the over-the-top hype of their weekly "specials" can occasionally be a bit grating, the folks at Hocus Pocus are really nice and have been very accommodating when, for example, when something that I have ordered under a "buy-one-get-one" promotion turned out to be out of stock. Also, when a delivery of 6 or 7 items got very messed up, they went ahead and had their supplier ship me a duplicate of the the entire order from their warehouse, and just trusted that I would send back the (expensive) original order when it eventually showed up a few days later. This sort of customer treatment earns my repeat business. I too wish they would include an invoice that breaks down the charges with the shipped order ... but if you order by phone and ask, I am pretty sure that they would find a way to let you know what the shipping charges would be before completing your order ... they seem to really want you to be a satisfied customer.

Tannen's also has earned some loyalty points from me. They went pretty far out of their way to make things up to me when I paid for 2-day shipping and the order got sent to the wrong city/zip and ended up taking over a week to get to me ... even though I really don't think it was all their fault. Seem like good guys who have to pay the added costs of maintaining a B&M. They can't always compete directly on cost with online-only dealers, but they try to make it up in others where they can.

The one thing to remember is that when you call a dealer up about a problem, the guy/gal on the other end has an enormous amount of "power" to either help solve your problem or brush it/you off to the side ... and you often have more "power" than you might think to influence their choice. Venting your frustration on someone who may have nothing to do with your actual problem will almost always prove counterproductive ... while if you unload a full measure of magician's charm and politeness on them, you may be surprised how eager they are to make you a happy customer!
Small correction, Lybrary.com is also retailing a selection of non-ebook products (books, DVDs, tricks, second hand items).

For DVDs
http://www.lybrary.com/magic-video-disc-c-21_2869.html

Second Hand items
http://www.lybrary.com/magic-second-hand-c-21_2552.html

most of the Al Mann products are printed items
http://www.lybrary.com/magic-mann-c-21_90.html
Message: Posted by: Robert The Magical Radway (May 26, 2010 09:39AM)
I only get my magic from Magic Inc. in Chicago. Buying from them is always a great experience.
I also have GREAT success with Madhatter magic shop. They are great to deal with and provide awesome customer service! Not to mention its VERY hard to beat their prices. Check them out- just AWESOME prices!

RNK
For The UK / Great Britain:

Alakazam Magic
emagictricks.co.uk
magictricks.co.uk
and on the odd occassion from the Penguin site in the USA

TGR
[quote]
On 2010-05-26 12:03, RNK wrote:
I also have GREAT success with Madhatter magic shop. They are great to deal with and provide awesome customer service! Not to mention its VERY hard to beat their prices. Check them out- just AWESOME prices!

RNK
[/quote]
That's true! Penguinmagic and Madhatter are one of the shops that offer one of the lowest price.

Too bad the shipping for International in Madhatter is more expensive than Penguin. Even sometimes Madhatter has lower price than Penguin, it's just their collection of magic tricks (perhaps) are not as many as Penguin. I could be wrong but anyway these two are one of the best magic shops with great personal customer services.
Direct from the creators, alakazam, and magicshop.
The Trick Shop,MJM,Wizard,Penguin and Magic Pro Shop.
Diamonds Magic
Hank lees
Ebay

http://www.mentalvoyage.com

:D
Oh yeah,

MJM is fantastic!
I think most of the online magic shops have good reputation and customer services. Even they might sell a little bit higher than other shops, people keep coming back because of the great hospitality, friendly & professional customer service and their collections of items, or the promotions and special prices.

Sometimes (or even most of the times), buyers won't be fussy over $5 difference on price tag. They are just happy to be able to support their favorite shops. So I'm very happy to be a member here and got information where I can buy things from the internet or trade forum.

I stopped buying from our local magic shops in here because the price tags are just ridiculous and unfair. They don't even have promotions with special prices, sale or just one or two bags of M&M's :D

So now I just buy from U.S. online shops even it takes longer (about 11 to 14 days) but it's worth the wait, worth the price and I'm just happy to be a part of this big community. I feel embarrassed when someone from outside of my country start to browse our local shop's websites because they also sell knock off items without hesitation.

Sorry for the long posting but I need to get this off my chest. :)
I agree, I've only had one negative experience from an online shop, last time I mentioned their name here on the Café the post was deleted (they advertise here), so I wont mention the name.

I ordered an item, was charged, 6 weeks later and after dozens of unanswered voice mails emails, still no item.

I had to dispute the transaction through paypal, and finally got a refund. Never once got a message from the online shop, and they call themselves a "pro shop".

MJM and Penguin have been great.
And seriously, the shops here don't have shame. They even admit on Facebook that they sometimes don't stock some original gaff cards items as they got knock off item using Bicycle cards.

I don't care what other people from my country will think when they read this, but this is the truth and it's embarrassing. They even made home-made Ultragaff Deck using double blank Bicycle and sell them in forum. That's just wrong.

That's why I don't bother to order from shops here. I only order locally for small things like wax, and only one or two shops that I know only sell genuine and original items.
In my May 26 post listing my favorite Magic dealers that I patronize on a regular basis, I wrote:

"3. Lybrary.com (only for ebooks, obviously) "

Chris of Lybrary.com rightly pointed out that they also sell actual books, DVDs, video downloads, as well as some other items. What I had actually meant to say (and completely botched up), is that Lybrary.com is the obvious choice (at least for me) for buying ebooks .... and they have been the beneficiary of many $$ from me in recent months. I find their wide range of quality ebook downloads and the ability to pay with a click via PayPal to be a deadly combination for me, at times ...
HOCUS-POCUS.COM, Paul and his team are amazing!!!
every week they have specials, I have saved hundreds shopping with them!!!
Here on the Café, sooner or later, what ever you want will show up here, and at a great price, and I have tried the magic auction, but I find it pricey for used stuff,
I am one of the extraordinarily lucky folk who live in the Washington,DC area (Baltimore is only 40 miles away). BTW, Apparently, I have a new super power: Whatever I need is out of stock, at dealer after dealer.

Also, I go to lectures and buy from the originator more often than not. Have gotten some great items that way.

So, now that Al's Magic is gone (pause to remove top hat) here's how it breaks down:

1. Denny & Lee's - Great service, and they only sell the real stuff - no knock-offs. Great source for books and those little, full-of-hidden-treasures booklets that most ignore. They are getting better about stocking standard items, such as gaffed decks, loops, "needle" balloons, etc. Best attribute: AWESOME LECTURES in his 100-seat stage area!

2. Barry's Magic Shop - Again, great service, well-stocked and easy to get to. Barry also gets great lectures, but they seem to always fall on a weekend when I am performing. Barry's 40-seat close-up theatre is a GREAT place to see close-up and parlor magic.

3. Magic Warehouse - Also good lectures, but mostly they are really well-stocked with standard items such as balloons, juggling balls, sponge balls, mouth coils, etc. He is seemingly immune to my super power. Reliable and friendly. Downside: appears to carry some low-quality knock-offs, perhaps to mollify the cheapskates (and there are MANY).

Hope this helps.

PS I am going to be buying more from Mark Mason (JB Magic), Check out my next post to find out why.
I love dealing with Penguin. They ship amazingly fast (free on orders over $25) and there's no deception with their prices. I order weekly and they sometimes even include free bag of peanut M & M's (my favorite!).

If Penguin doesn't have an item in-stock, then I will sometimes purchase from MJM who is another first-rate dealer. The 'in-house' Hocus Pocus team has always treated me well too, but I've never been a fan of their shipping.

Jared
Just curious, I we go to a lecture and we buy a trick from the creator, is the trick cheaper than the prices in the market?
Failed- It depends. Sometimes no, sometimes you can get great buys, especially at the last stop on a lecture tour. The magician will not want to carry them home.

John
Hocus-Pocus
Magic Management
Quality Magic
Promystic
Penguin
Used to be Hank Lee
I can tell you where I do NOT buy anymore:
Hank Lee!
Really bad customer care! Besides the books I received looked second hand(!), really bad experiences there...
Yep, sorry to say ditto for me, regarding Hank Lee. It's as if somewhere along the way, he just stopped caring.... Too bad.
1. Penguin Magic - great shipping, great customer service and good prices
2. Hocus-Pocus - Good prices on special sales, great selection
3. Conley's House of Magic - Great brick and mortar store
4. Ellusionist - Great shipping and great customer service
5. The Magic Café - as a few have said sooner or later you will find if for sale here @ a good price.
Hi All,

Here is my recent experience with Magic Pro Shop. I ordered an item on May 22. It had not arrived by June 3, so I sent an email asking for an update on my order and called several times as well (left a voice mail, but received no return call). I had not received a reply by June 7 and so I sent a second email. Expecting a prompt reply given the length of time from when I had placed my order, but not getting a reply, I decided to initiate a dispute with PayPal on June 8.

Magic Pro Shop was to have contacted me directly to settle the dispute. They did not and so on June 15, I escalated the dispute: still no reply from Magic Pro Shop. Originally I would have still wanted the item, but at this point I've told PayPal I don't want the item from Magic Pro Shop, just a refund.

I'll let you know how this ends up. Now I'm not saying you shouldn't deal with Magic Pro Shop. I just wanted to describe my experience with them so that you can make a more well-informed buying decision.

Regards, Steve
Sounds like they have gone back to their old ways. Heard lots of complaints about the Pro Shop.
I love it right here at the Café, where I've squeezed many a paycheck dry.

Otherwise, I like Stevens and The Trickery. Both of which carry many exclusive, collectible items which are right up my alley. My other option is to go to Murphys Magic Supply's web site, see what I like, then have my local brick and mortar call and get it in. It comes in two days, and I get a discount from him (and no shipping) for being a regular. Keep the B&M in business. Get my magic fast and cheap. Win!
Alakazam all the way for me. The most helpful guys I've ever dealt with and always willing to go that extra mile to make sure I get exactly what I want. I visit the shop more often than not so I can have a look and get the inspiration of what I want to buy. I really have never found better service anywhere else.

Plus because they create a lot of their own tricks you can get it cheaper if you go with them.

Dan

http://www.alakazam.co.uk
[quote]
On 2010-06-17 19:38, yachanin wrote:
Hi All,

Here is my recent experience with Magic Pro Shop. I ordered an item on May 22. It had not arrived by June 3, so I sent an email asking for an update on my order and called several times as well (left a voice mail, but received no return call). I had not received a reply by June 7 and so I sent a second email. Expecting a prompt reply given the length of time from when I had placed my order, but not getting a reply, I decided to initiate a dispute with PayPal on June 8.

Magic Pro Shop was to have contacted me directly to settle the dispute. They did not and so on June 15, I escalated the dispute: still no reply from Magic Pro Shop. Originally I would have still wanted the item, but at this point I've told PayPal I don't want the item from Magic Pro Shop, just a refund.

I'll let you know how this ends up. Now I'm not saying you shouldn't deal with Magic Pro Shop. I just wanted to describe my experience with them so that you can make a more well-informed buying decision.

Regards, Steve
[/quote]

Here's the update I promised...

Magic Pro Shop did not respond to PayPal's request for information regarding my purchase, even after I escalated the dispute. PayPal found in my favor and I should receive a refund.

As a result of my experience, I will never order anything from Magic Pro Shop again.

Regards, Steve
I order weekly from Penguin! I love their customer service and free shipping! Plus I get an additional 10% off their prices because of their recurring customer discount! If I don't see something I need (like flash paper)I purchase from MJM. Sometimes I'll purchase from Hocus Pocus but the one place I will never shop again is Hank Lee. The are a pain in the butt to deal with, customer service in nonexistent, and when you order stuff off their website it doesn't tell you if it's out of stock. So sometimes you'll order something and you won't get it till 3 months down the road! I don't need that hassle!!!
Stevens magic is the best , mark is the nicest dealer on earth he listens understands and will never sell you crap I have been dealing with him for ten years of my life .. he never let me in need of any other shop he carries all the good items .
Best: Hocus Pocus

Worst: International Magic
Had a bad experience with Hocus pocus.
Had a bad experience with Hocus pocus.
Viking Magic, Magic Warehouse, and Barry's (in no paticular order)
Viking:
Excellent top of the line products, Great service and they give excellent discounts to active duty military. Enough said!

Magic Warehouse:
I have ordered from them for years!
Today, I FINALLY made the trip there in person.
WOW!!! Well worth the trip! George was AWESOME!!!! He really energized me to do so much more and want to move into the shop!
Great selections, and of course George was more than helpful.

Barrys is up there as well. Same great service, and a great place to hang out! I love Barry and his staff! Be sure to have him show you his "Half Gone". It is a killer effect and Barry is really fun to watch perform it! And his DVD "Shell Shocked". And on his website too if you're not in the area.

If you are ever in the DC/Baltimore area, be sure to stop by one of these. Oh, and of course Denny's is also a great shop as well, as far as hanging out with a great guy and someone who cares about magic. Denny's is on the expensive side, but he and his staff go to great lengths to help you out. They don't sell "Crap" there for sure! And he won't sell you something he doesn't think you can handle or like...
These are my favourite online shops:

Penguin Magic
magicshop
Alakazam
I like Alakazam because I *trust* Peter Nardi's taste. I've never gotten a dud from them.

I like Madhatter for price when I know exactly what I'm looking for, but quality is definitely hit or miss. Table top I got from them is fine. A production box I picked up cheap and my coin funnel are both great props. The "free throw in"I got with my order is okay but I dunno if Ill ever use it. The folding table base I got from them I'm not very happy with.
Hank Lee is local to me, but I only use him when he has really good specials as IMHO his everyday prices aren't competitive.
I have used most of the online magic sites. I usually purchase an item wherever I can get the best price. So many sites are offering different specials all the time, one really needs to cost compare. The only recurrent problem I've had is through Hank Lee when I purchase an item online only to find out when my order arrives that the item is no longer carried. Out of stock I can understand, but to have an item listed on the website and not carry it at all is fraud in my opinion. I have not had this problem at any other site.
I do use Hocus-Pocus a lot for their specials and estate items. I only wish they would have it set up to know what the postage/shipping cost is at the time the order is entered online. It would also be more convenient and probably safer in general if they took paypal without any additional fees like most sites.
Lybrary is brilliant.

Kyle
[quote]
On 2010-08-06 18:00, mikenewman wrote:
Viking Magic, Magic Warehouse, and Barry's (in no paticular order)
Viking:
Excellent top of the line products, Great service and they give excellent discounts to active duty military. Enough said!
[/quote]

that's really good of them.

I recently bought a viking double load dove pan and I LOVE it. Great looking, superb construction, real steel not aluminum so the load pan stays cool for my dear little bird's feet. Low profile so its very deceptive.

I can *highly* recommend that product.
I love the brick and mortar places in my area:

ABC Magic in Mount Clemens MI
and
The Wundergrund in Clawson MI

You cannot beat these places. These are working magicians that can speak from years of experience and always have ideas and suggestions for your routines. They will order anything I want. Some folks may claim that online shopping is cheaper, and maybe it is. But with the advice, ideas, suggestions, and critiqueing that I can get from fellow magicians who are genuinely interested in my success in magic it is worth the price in value to me.

Now, I have been in magic for a long time and don't need very many "new" props unless it is a replacement for something. But I stop in whenever I can just to see what's new and get to see it demonstrated right then and there "live".

This may be off topic and I am not trying to imply that the online stores aren't any good. There are several great ones out there and I have shopped from them as well. As a matter of fact many online stores are brick and mortar but also have an internet presence as well. I just wanted to show support for the brick and mortar places. They are so much more fun to shop at.

If you can,support and build a relationship with your brick and mortar stores. Help them succeed...they WILL help you succeed If you are in Michigan stop by and support Dave at ABC and Paul at the Wundergrund.

Wolly
In the last five years...hmmm. Well:

1. Penguin. First rate service. Never been disappointed.
2. Ellusionist. Brad has ALWAYS helped me, and, I'm NEVER disappointed.
3. L&L Publishing. Class "A" company
4. The Trickery. I only bought from them once. No problems, great service.

Wish I knew why Hank Lee is having so many problems. Is Hank even involved any more? When he was in Boston on Essex, I used to visit there at least once a year. I miss that old place.

Doug
Hank moved to mostly mail order before I got here. They have a tiny showroom in the front of the warehouse but it doesn't have a lot in it.
Right. I miss the old downtown store.
Do you get to Diamond's Cyberqat?
I miss it too. That was one of the better-looking magic shops around.
Is Diamond's in the Boston area?

The only one I knew of here is Hank Lee. Course I could always actually look in the yellow pages...
[quote]
On 2009-10-25 18:54, doormouse wrote:
I have noticed a trend towards price fixing on certain products. From what I hear a major distributor is setting a minimum price and no dealer can sell below that price.
What do you think of this? Is it good or bad for the industry?
[/quote]

Sadly, price fixing is good for the industry. The reason why is several online magic stores undercut there competition to drive traffic to push their own products. They care only too make profits on their own products. Not worrying about the wake they stir for the rest. And this is the specific reason price fixing was put in place.

I have only been open for a little over a year so I have not had the chance to work with many of you yet. But, I hope that in time you will give me a try. I am priced fair and always open to answer any questions you may have. I am only three miles from the largest distributor of magic products in the world. My goal is to be fair priced, and deliver honest, and fast service to my friends in Magic.

I grew up around the corner from Grand Illusions in Sacramento. After meeting Steve Johnson I knew that my life would take a magical direction. And it has, 22 years later I have worked behind the scenes on many magic productions, and I have had the pleasure to work with some of the greats in the industry. Owning my own magic store has been my ultimate dream come true. I am truly blessed to be apart of the Café, and the magic community as a whole most everyone has been gracious, and quite wonderful to work with.

- Jason
Hm. Im not sure that's legal, the distributor setting minimum prices.

Some states have minimum mark-up laws. that's why "clubs" like CostCo exist, to get around them.

But "I wont sell to you unless you charge at least X" sounds suspiciously like "anti-competitive behavior." You could always write the attorney general in their state and ask if its legal...
Diamond's is north in Peabody

http://www.diamondsmagic.com/dmb/shop
Thanks Jazzy! I'll have to go check it out.
Nice folks at Diamond's. Bought from them over the phone. They have regular lectures so there must be a following in the area. The location is near the Le Grand David show in Beverly.

Over the past year, I have been replacing and updating my stuff.
Having purchased from several online shops, so far there have been no bad experiences. I look for availability and price. Speedy delivery is not an issue but high shipping charges are.

The opportunity to go to a shop and see something first-hand has become very difficult around here. A good dealer can help by suggesting complementary effects that he knows will fit into your act and not be a duplicate of something you already have.

Good luck Jason. I will definitely check out Nexus.
Dynamite Magic (holland)
Malloy Modern Magic
Outlaw
Penguin (forgive me guys :) )
Theory11
penguinmagic
ellusionist
be amazing magic shop
kurts magic world
trick zone
Jason at the Nexus Magic Shop:

What a Class "A" place! It's going to take me a WEEK just to study the stuff on the first page of New Magic Tricks! These are all (or mostly) new to me! When I recover, I will buy some stuff from you! It's only fair. You've gone to a LOT of trouble to make that site so nice. I can't imagine what your Brick & Mortar store looks like!

Magic Café members:

This place does not sell junk. I noticed some of the stuff is pretty hefty in price, but I have found, through experience, you get what you PAY for! It also keeps the effects pretty exclusive, which I like. You won't find the neighborhood kid buying and performing those effects. No offense intended. This is the stuff pro's use. I'm glad I checked it out. to make it easier, here is the link for ya:

http://www.nexusmagicstore.com

Doug
Btw... Peter Nardi now has his own USA internet store front instead of it being handled by someone else:

http://www.alakazam-usa.com/
Sometimes I order from http://www.dynamitemagic.nl or http://www.vliegeruit.com/
This 2 shops are located in my country The Netherlands.
Since the prices for magic stuff are very high in NL (compared to the USA) I also order from http://www.my-magicshop.com (Switzerland)which is cheaper.

Last week I've ordered a lot of DVD's at http://www.alakazam.co.uk/
I've compared the price of what I've ordered at Alakazam with the exact same products at my magicshop (which is located in Switzerland AND is cheaper then the Netherlands)and the difference was about €110,- which is a lot of money....

In my hometown a deck of standard bikes will cost me €4,95 and at Alakazam or Switzerland about €2,20.

Ow yeah I've also bought a lot of Ebooks via Lybrary and Cameron Francis :D
Hi everyone,

I wanted to take this opportunity to officially announce the launch of the all-new Alakazam Magic USA!www.alakazam-usa.com It has been a huge project as we wanted to completely overhaul the look of the site, its functionality and also the way the USA part of Alakazam was run. We have incorporated many of t...he popular features that have been so successful of the UK website such as the LIVE CHAT, the LOYALTY POINTS, and the BLOGS. The whole site is controlled by my team here in the UK, including myself, so it retains that familiarity – however, the orders themselves will be dispatched directly from the USA so there is faster and cheaper shipping for our American friends. And do not forget that the Loyalty Points, once earned, can be used to get extra savings on any orders placed. You can communicate with myself or one of the team via the LIVE SUPPORT if you are having any difficulties or need advice and we will be shipping out orders on a daily basis so you can rest assured that you are in safe hands! We are currently kicking off with a special 10% off discount code (found on the front page banner) and I hope that many of you will take advantage of this and head on over. In the meantime if you have any questions at all then please email us on the usual email address (sales@alakazam.co.uk) and we will gladly assist you in any and every way that we can. This is a REALLY EXCITING new venture for us and we are TOTALLY CONFIDENT that our fans in the USA are going to love it too!

Best regards

Peter Nardi
Fast and top notch service from Elmwood and MJM.

Best
Dom
When I travel I always try to buy from a brick and mortar shop, but one of the main reasons I go to conventions is for the dealer room. IBM was great this year!
[quote]
On 2010-08-09 13:17, Dougini wrote:
Jason at the Nexus Magic Shop:

What a Class "A" place! It's going to take me a WEEK just to study the stuff on the first page of New Magic Tricks! These are all (or mostly) new to me! When I recover, I will buy some stuff from you! It's only fair. You've gone to a LOT of trouble to make that site so nice. I can't imagine what your Brick & Mortar store looks like!

Magic Café members:

This place does not sell junk. I noticed some of the stuff is pretty hefty in price, but I have found, through experience, you get what you PAY for! It also keeps the effects pretty exclusive, which I like. You won't find the neighborhood kid buying and performing those effects. No offense intended. This is the stuff pro's use. I'm glad I checked it out. to make it easier, here is the link for ya:

http://www.nexusmagicstore.com

Doug
[/quote]

Thank you Dougni for your accolades. It has been a massive amount of work to build, always evolving. I do enjoy the business, and most of all working with everyone in the community of Magic.
MADHATTER MAGIC SHOP! You WILL get great customer service- you WILL get fast shipping and most of all you WILL get the BEST prices out there! I can't stress enough the amount of inventory and the great prices! They have items selling at less than wholesale sometimes! I also have had great success with elmwood (Paul Richards- very nice and GREAT to deal with) and penguin (fast shipping). Also as far as magicians websites- Steve Shufton, David Regal and Chad Long all are GREAT to deal with and offer the BEST customer service! Any problems- these guys will be fair and take care of them.

RNK
Oh Yea- I forgot- One of the nicest guys to deal with- Bob Solari! He ships fast, is honest, and you can always talk to him in person if you need to. Seems like s great person!

RNK
Second for Solari a terrific guy.
Ditto for Magic Trick Store, Penguin and Hocus Pocus
[quote]
On 2010-08-11 08:56, RNK wrote:
MADHATTER MAGIC SHOP! You WILL get great customer service- you WILL get fast shipping and most of all you WILL get the BEST prices out there! I can't stress enough the amount of inventory and the great prices! They have items selling at less than wholesale sometimes! I also have had great success with elmwood (Paul Richards- very nice and GREAT to deal with) and penguin (fast shipping). Also as far as magicians websites- Steve Shufton, David Regal and Chad Long all are GREAT to deal with and offer the BEST customer service! Any problems- these guys will be fair and take care of them.

RNK
[/quote]

Agree on all you said!
I gotta say, of all the individuals I've dealt with, Peter Austin is just top notch.
Penguin Magic - got the best prices and great delivery. Other than that, right from the creator, ebay, and my local magic shop.
[quote]
On 2010-08-11 08:56, RNK wrote:
MADHATTER MAGIC SHOP! You WILL get great customer service-

Any problems- these guys will be fair and take care of them.

RNK
[/quote]

Wow! I must have stumbled across another "Madhatter Magic Shop"! I just had my first and now LAST dealings with them for sure!

Maybe bad luck on my part. BUT, YES, I have tried to contact them several times, and no response, no assistance!

Bottom-line: They sold me an item that was FALSE advertising. It did not come with what was advertised. Now, I only paid $9 for this. However, it is useless to me without what was supposed to come with it. I don't care if I pay $1,000 or $1. I should (and legally) get what they advertise and promise on their site!

It may have been from the distributer? I don't know? Why don't I know? Because they (madhatter) hasn't responded in 4 days now!

Sorry to all you "madhatter" fans, but there are FAR too many other shops out there for the same costs. Madhater made me Mad, and so, I will stick with (in no paticular order):

Magic Warehouse
Penguin
Barry's Magic
Denny and Lee (MD shop)
Michael Baker
Viking Magic

These all offer GREAT prices, and actually return my inquires in a timely manor..

Mike Newman
I just went back to madhater site and now realize something else:
They are selling Knock-of items!
I don't see how you can support that? Now, am I just saying this because they are ignoring me? No. I am against the knock-off pushers! They should know better, but obviosly only care about profit. This is America, and is within their rights legally. But it is my right to avoid them and post here as well...

I just hope others (especially on here!))realize this and don't support it. But, your right to do as you please by all means... But to see an "Eternal Order" member support it really makes me wonder. Maybe he doesn't know that madhatter does this? If you don't realize it, then I apoligize. Hopefully you re-evaluate your support.

I am pretty sure this isn't the Kennedy version...
http://madhattermagicshop.com/magicshop/product_info.php?products_id=7513

And this isn't from Mr. Jay Sankey
http://madhattermagicshop.com/magicshop/product_info.php?products_id=8269

Losander table??? I think not
http://madhattermagicshop.com/magicshop/product_info.php?products_id=8099

This one is REALLY Good! They advertise it is a Knock-off!!!
http://madhattermagicshop.com/magicshop/product_info.php?products_id=6664

Nuff said!
The last one is called Knock Out... "Knock Out" the Knock off - WOW
Well, as I said my experience with madhatter quality has been touch and go.

And one item I ordered did not work as advertised... the instructions were for a totally differnt effect then described. Its not a bad effect and Im going to use it in my next show, but its not the one described in their ad materials.

Actually, that's what led me to build my Hypercube as it DOES do what the ad said :) I started thinking about how I would do it as opposed to what I received, and the cube dropped out. So in a strange way it wasn't really bad at all.
I purchased my Losander Floating Table from Madhatter. That was my only experience with them and I was happy with the transaction! Yes it is a real Losander as I spoke with him about receiving mine. They had to special order them from him and Losander shipped it to me from Germany.
Everywhere on the net if it's good and 'cheap'
Always looking for the cheapest price (yes I'm dutch)
If I tell you that I have to pay €15,00 for one f****ng (no this is not a dirty word :D ) deck at my local magic supplier and when I order via the net in Suisse (where I will pay for the same deck €5,90)
The prices in Holland are high compared to the USA, Suisse or UK. The only problem I have when I order physical products from the USA is that the customs will charge me..
Last time I've ordered some things from Aaron Fisher (Popover,S&D and The Paper Engine) and they have put €25,00 on top of the normal price..

To be a magician in Holland you have to be very rich haha
Same as Bietfriek, always find the cheapest price on the net even my fave are Penguin and MJM, I've bought some from different places too.

For second-hand or used tricks, I rely my search in Café.
[quote]
On 2010-09-03 00:39, Lou Cirulli wrote:
I purchased my Losander Floating Table from Madhatter. That was my only experience with them and I was happy with the transaction! Yes it is a real Losander as I spoke with him about receiving mine. They had to special order them from him and Losander shipped it to me from Germany.
[/quote]

I am happy that YOU chose to order/purchase from the originator (Losander). You did the right thing. And, yes, of course madhatter will sell the real deal. Profit is profit, whether the REAL table (Losander) or the Rip-off they also sell.

They also sell the Knock-offs. Such as the Floating table (and other items I pointed out). The one for $250, is a knock-off.

Like I said. They have every legal right to do this by all means (as far as I can tell). It is too hard to copyright, etc.

But, that is where I will do my personal "Legal" thing, and avoid a shop that supports "theft" and sells knock-offs.

Again, I applaud you for doing the right thing by purchasing the original, rightfull version.
For years I kept a guy out east in the dough, but lately, I have been trying new dealers. Penguin, Hocus Pocus, Sankey Magic...
[quote]
On 2010-09-03 03:33, Failed Magician wrote:
Same as Bietfriek, always find the cheapest price on the net even my fave are Penguin and MJM, I've bought some from different places too.

For second-hand or used tricks, I rely my search in Café.
[/quote]

I don't hesitate to look for the best prices for commodity items where quality usually doesn't suffer. But for original effects, specialty magic, or collectibles, I'm looking at a higher price point anyway, and risk buying copies when I find a "bargain." I say, go to the creator when you can, or a trusted dealer when you can't. You'll save money in the long run.

Your time by the way, is worth money, whether you see it that way or not. So, going to a reliable, service-oriented dealer is more economical than going to some on-line hack, who may end up costing you time, stress, and headaches in the long run. To me, avoiding those hassles is worth a little extra cash.

And yes Failed Magician, you are right again. The bargains we find here on the Café are some of the best out there.
I don't know what I'd do without this place. the resource here is amazing. Ten thousand things you could never find anywhere else on the internet, no matter how hard you searched.
I have been buying my magic directly from the creator Magician.
It´s a nice way to support its work.
Got that right Daffydoug. This is THE forum to be on if you are into magic.

Their annual fund raiser will be coming up. Don't hesitate to throw them a bone. There is a lot going on behind the scenes that we aren't privy to. They can use one of those bills you're holding onto :)
[quote]
On 2010-09-03 19:28, Mind_Magic wrote:
I have been buying my magic directly from the creator Magician.
It´s a nice way to support its work.
[/quote]

Always the best way to go. I'm not a magic inventor or creator, but I've known a couple. The amount of thinking is one thing, but the good old-fashioned hand-work that most of these folks go through to get their products to market is amazing. It is no easy task. Believe me. No one, except maybe Marshall Brodien (over 17 million TV Magic Cards were sold), could become "rich" millionaires from inventing and marketing magic tricks. Comfortable maybe, but I doubt "rich."
I believe that. but one time I spoke on the phone to an inventor who has marketed a gimmicked deck...(I won't say who it was) anyway, he told me that the sales from that deck basically built his home.

He must have been full of it.
Or he has a very small home...

Hey, who am I to say? But unless you are mass-marketing on TV, I can't imagine a big enough marketplace to make a lot of money on something so small.
He had it offered in a famous magic catalog that distributes internationally. Still, I have my doubts, too.
Recently, I've been acquiring most of my items through auctions or vintage magic dealers. Here are some of my regular dealers/manufacturers that have been getting my business:

Alan Warner
Collectors' Workshop/Viking Magic
Five of Hearts (Colin Rose)
KT Magic (auction site)
Ron Alessi's International Magic Auction
Magic Wagon
The Trickery
and of course...eBay!

Z-wood Magic (Kent Bergmann)
At least once in his/her lifetime, in my humble opinion, every serious magician should make the pilgrimmage to Colon Michigan to Abbott's Magic Company during their magic get-together, and buy at least one Abbott's-made prop.

If you do, you will be in for a REAL magic experience, trust me!

Nothing and no place like Abbott's in Colon during the get-together!...It's special!!!
I've only ever had a major issue with one magic shop. I won't say who they are because I'm not prepared to deal with the drama that will ensue. Other folks seem to have good luck with them, so whatever.

I recently placed my first order with Elmwood. It was a [b]VERY[/b] positive experience. They have a great selection, great shipping, and since I live in the midwest my items arrive faster. I think they're going to become my new dealer of choice. I like that their website reflects their actual inventory.

Other dealers that I've had good experiences with are Hocus Pocus, Daytona, Bob Kohler, and Peter Loughran.

If you're ever in Columbus check out the Be Amazing Magic Shop. Larry has a nice selection of DVD's, Books, and Close-UP.
The majority of my purchases have been made at MJM and Penguin, and I have always been pleased with their prices and prompt shipping.

I also have bought from Outlaw Effects several times, as well as directly from Simon Aronson, Daryl, Joe Mogar, and Michael Ammar.......(and I am sure some others who escape memory). Speaking of memory, I am hoping to buy something of Harry Lorayne's in the near future.
Yes, the Harry Lorayne site is great if you want to get an autographed copy of his books.

I am also now a Madhatter fan. Bill and I discussed my issues, and has totally redeemed my thoughts...

Madhatter did ship my DVD SUPER FAST!

And as for the knock-offs, he sells both the real deal and the knock-off. And in reality (And I agree 100%), if he doesn't sell them, the next guy will (and does).

This is really no different than buying "Fruit Rings" cereal, or "CVS Baby Powder", or "fill in the blank ___Laptop".

ANd the great thing about living here in the U.S.A., is if you do or don't like the knock-offs, then you don't have to buy them!

Thanks for reading; and I apoligize to Madhatter for my "rant" and for going off topic.

Thanks,

mike
Here's a little site to peruse Mike...
http://magicfakers.blogspot.com

In today's world, with today's problems, it's pretty trivial. But if you're a magic creator, with perhaps modest or average means to enforce the security of her or his inventions...who put themselves on the line with a new product...it's really quite sad. The lazy, low-life, opportunistic, petty hoodlums who copy these original creations, can do so because they make money from short-sighted buyers who are looking for an easy fix. Original magic creation will disappear if at the very least, the creators' initial costs can't be recouped. Knock-offs are happening sooner and sooner. Now, we're already seeing knock-offs competing with relatively new product releases. Really? Are we all that desperate for cheap magic?

We are hurting ourselves by supporting knock-off makers. Okay Mike. I sort of see your point about shops carrying both. I want magic dealers to survive too. But please. I implore all of us to save our pennies and buy from the creators. We're not talking big-time American commerce here people. We're talking small-time, cottage industry manufacturing. So in this case, we have to think small to think big. We'll all win out with a bit of patience.
Exactly! Mike there really is a difference between breakfast cereals and a creator
inventing.But yes,you do have the freedom living in the great U.S.A to make sure all of our jobs go abroad!
Gentleman,
I agree with you both, and wish we weren't having this conversation...
Great site BTW. But, may encourage those who are cheap and don't care about supporting the originals. I still won't buy the knock-offs as I just can't support it.

And yes, there is a difference between cereal and a creator. However, from who's perspective? I agree with you in that there is a difference.
But a majority of the buyers don't care. They see the same product but cheaper price. Although WE know:

1. Product will be cheaper in quality
2. It hurts the originator who is not a Walmart, but a hard working American, Canadian, Mexican, etc. (or any countryman).

Hate to say it, but the jobs are already going abroad, and fast! Look at the auto industry. I use to be one who always "Bought American" no matter what. Well, I was sick and tired of putting blood, sweat, and tears (and way too much $$$$) into repeatedly fixing our piece of $h$t Venture Mini-van (I work on my own vehicles, so it was MY blood, sweat and tears). We recently bought a Honda Odyssey and needless to say, I don't need "Kleenex" any more :) sorry... couldn't resist. But, American cars are crap. I know, I know. Honda has many recalls as well. BUT, they were the ones made here in the USA! ALL manufactures have recalls. So, I am talking about overall quality. Every tome I go to Europe, Korea, etc., I am amazed at how far more advanced they are than us. And to think, we invented the car!
Where do you get your car worked on? A private, solo mechanic? Or Sears, Midas, etc.?

That was way off topic, but does fit the jobs part...

The magic shops that refuse to conform to reality, are going to go away. Not saying they need to carry knock-offs, but they really need to have a great internet site to go with the shop. Magic Warehouse for example, has an awesome site (great prices as well), and they now have a store w/ lectures, etc.

I agree 100% that if we could get rid of knock-offs, it would be much better for the magic community. But, they are here to stay forever. Those (shops) that don't embrace it and go with it, are losing a ton of potential sales. One shop says they sell the "Wow" knock-off, 30-1 to the real one!! That is a HUGE difference! And again. If they don't sell it, the next shop will. Is that wrong? Well, ONLY 1 in 30 says, yes. The other 30 obviously don't care.

Even the "Café" is hurting creators. How? Look at the "Let's Make A magic Deal" section. Items fly back and forth so fast it makes my head spin! And, the prices are WAY below retail! So, are we supporting the creators by buying from each other at ridiculously low prices? NO! Not one bit!

And to the folks who are copying and selling the knock-offs. I can't blame them either. They are WAY less off than most of us. They don't care about copying from the creators. It isn't illegal. They are taking advantage of the "Internet Free Market". At least they aren't standing at the traffic light with their hand out and lame sign begging for my money.

It IS a difficult topic as it hurts those that we appreciate and want to be rewarded for their original contributions/inventions.

I will close in saying:
I will continue to buy non-knock-offs from:

Barry's Magic
Magic Warehouse
Penguin
Viking
Magic Café Members
Harry Lorayne Magic
Jay Sankey
and now, Madhatter
Yes,it is a difficult topic in that it seems to embrace so many things.
Sadly you are right about cars but I would like to see more state intervention in
our industrys not less. I mean when things went wrong with the banks they came running to the taxpayer to help them out.Socalism is 'evil' untill things go wrong!
So I don't believe the free market or the internet free market is king.

I admire someone begging more then I admire a thief.

I think it's fine to sell products that don't suit us [perhaps due to deceptive advertising] second hand and there are only a limited amount of these items for sale here with the seller more often then not making a loss!
I do know of a magic site in England who refuse to accept ads for dvd's only.
That might come here.
Even if you forget about ethics why does someone want a copy of 'Wow' that's
cheaply made and with parts that jam!
All good points Mike and Markymark.

Regarding cars, well, don't get me started. But my point wasn't about jobs, it was purely regarding creating an original product, then having the right to market it without the worry of someone else stealing your client base, and hence, your profits. But I said it. I'm done.

And yes, I must be one of The Café's most frequent buyers...mostly vintage and collectables, but I've purchased used "new" effects as well. To me however, there's a big difference in buying a used "original" effect, and a new "knock-off." At least by re-buying the original, you are perpetuating the value of the original, and keeping the creator's name strong. I am much more likely to buy an original John Kennedy effect for instance, if I know I can sell it for a good price if I need to. I don't think anyone ever purchased a knock-off or that reason.

And I CAN blame the people creating the knock-offs. I can easily understand why they are doing it, but I can still blame them. As MarkyMark said, they are thieves. And you're wrong Mike, it IS illegal. What I feel you're missing is the fact that magic creators are small in size and don't have the resources, or time to prosecute these thieves. So, it becomes legal because no one is objecting.

What I did like about your comments Mike, is your description of how brick and mortar shops need to do whatever they can to stay afloat. And, you're absolutely right, it's a catch 22. I feel for everyone in this case...the creators of original magic, the owners of magic shops in a sad economy, and the many, many magic lovers out there looking to get the latest trick for the lowest price. Boy, I'm glad I'm not the one who has to figure this one out.

Anyway, I mean no malice here Mike. This is a good conversation, but I feel we're both probably way-off topic. So, let me put myself back on track...

I believe the internet is a great thing for magic. It's an incredible resource that will ultimately keep the art alive and well. Negatives? Sure, anything as powerful as this that is growing this fast, will always have negatives. But look at how easy it is to speak with other magicians, learn about magic, buy magic, research magic, write about magic...the list goes on and on. This is a golden age right now. And you're right, if brick and mortar shops can figure out a way to have a strong on-line presence, they can keep their shops as well. Maybe, the good ones will even get stronger, because magicians are a tactile breed. They love their stuff, and they love interacting with other magicians. I may be wrong, but I can't imagine magic going totally digital.

Well, again, I'll try to reel myself in and stay on topic... I just bought another effect from Hocus-Pocus. Quick, easy, on-line service with an email that said when my project left so I can track it. I like this company. And, some day, I'm going to visit their shop!
Penguin is my fav. for pricing. I just bought the Gold Extractor for 54.00 shipped. That's about 20.00 cheaper then other sites.

But I like MJM a lot too. Great service, fast shipping, decent selection.

Hocus Pocus ? not too often, I like to see my grand total before I press the pay button. That's just me.
I buy from Penguin, Magicwarehouse, Madhatter and sometimes from the creator too or other place where the product that I want is cheaper.

Helder
[quote]
On 2010-09-15 12:56, helder wrote:
I buy from Penguin, Magicwarehouse, Madhatter and sometimes from the creator too or other place where the product that I want is cheaper.

Helder

[/quote]

That is the attitude that is driving more and more people from distributors. They are tired of competing with themselves... A creator sell some product to a distributor... He sells it to Joe the Internet salesman... Who sells it for a 39% discount... It is then that you get !@#$%ed at for not selling at the same price as Joe the Internet dealer... Then you are a greedy sod for not matching Joes prices... Lots of fun... Which is why more creative people are NOT selling to distributors... Which of course opens the market for people who produce crap...

That marks the end of this rant...

Tony
Magic warehouse
Penguin
Theory11
Always buy from the creator when possible. Only occasionally that it isn`t.
This is probably going to get me into a lot of trouble but I can't let this go unchallenged

I just read through this interesting thread, and came across the post from Mike of Maryland.

While I agree with his sentiments, and most of the other posters, It's hardly surprising that people think Americans are big headed and arrogant when they come out with statements like;

"I am amazed at how far more advanced they are than us. And to think, we invented the car"

All "we" did was come up with a way to mass produce them ( and as you say, they're crap)
The car was invented in europe.

Sorry for the off topic rant

You can start throwing stones now
Steve
Steve,
I am glad you picked up on that! You are correct! And no stones coming from my way.
Yes, I knew the car was invented in europe (No suprise; most say Karl Benz from Germany).
And, as you said, we just popularized it by mass producing it! I was waiting for someone to pick up on that! Thank You!

So, now take the magic. The internet/online shops (Just like the U.S. did for cars) is MASS producing the tricks, DVD's etc. It is EVERYWHERE online. A good thing? Some say yes, some ssy, No. Either way, it's here.

Now; those that copy the originators (European cars), produce "Crap"!!! And those looking to save $$$, buy the knock-offs (sometimes having no idea), and end up with crap (U.S. Cars). Not a great analogy, but works for here...

And the shops willing to sell the knock-offs (Crap) are choosing so, to make a profit. Just like U.S. Cars. They have over the years become cheaper and cheaper in their quality (Plastic "bumpers!!"), and of course the price has gone up due to demand!

Same thing for those selling the "Wow" knock-off for example. I have heard that one shop sells the Wow knock-off by a ratio of 30-1 to the real Wow! I say "WOW"!

BTW:
Is anyone buying up Mikame products now that he passed away?
I just bought from Penguin for a great deal on a few items... things I have been wanting off my wish list.
If I could have bought direct from him, I would have for sure. Great guy. Sad to see him go...

I would love to see a "Mikame" store open in his honor in the future. I would shop there. I hope his family decides to keep it going...
Mike:
Sorry for having a rant, I must be having a rough day.
I should be happy as my Haiku arrived this morning.

Regards
Steve
While I in asia I buy from RANGMAGIC.COM WHILE AT IN EUROPE I BUY FROM KAPMAGIC.COM WHILE AT USA I BUY FROM MURPHY
Magic pro shop very good service and keeps items in stock.
"WHILE AT USA I BUY FROM MURPHY"
Interesting that Murphy's sells to non-dealers. I thought they claimed to sell to dealers only?
Im in Canada so I buy from

Morrisseys
Browsers Den
Vanishing Rabbit
I'm in Canada

Phil and Wilber at Kind of Magic have always done right by me http://www.kwmagic.com.

I have also purchased from:

Perfect Magic in Montreal
Ellusionist
Trick Productions

The worst was ordering a card sword and some other items from Hank Lees and having to pay huge brokerage charges when the item crossed the border, they did send a replacement as the card sword broke as soon as I assembled it, but the brokerage fees were over $60.
In the UK we have to be careful of heavy import duty / Shipping charges. tax tax tax tax
Ok, so, Bob Little does not have a fancy web site, but, I called in an order at 4:15pm yesterday and received it in my mail box today at noon!--along with two free books and a candy bar!!! Who can match service like that? :nod:
We might look at trends in the magic industry as a whole. Online shops multiply - they sell to anyone and they offer no instruction. No personal relationship. But big discounts. Result: traditional brick and mortar shops are at this point in a very precarious position. More than a few have gone under, more are on the brink of collapse. That means the end of the way magic has traditionally been taught and passed on. Example: kid goes into Denny and Lee in Baltimore, says he wants an easy trick to do that requires no skill, because he wants to perform it at a party that night. Denny tells him that even low- or no-skill tricks need to be rehearsed - you gotta get your routine down, smoothness, presentation, etc. Kid says he wants something he can do right away. Denny refuses to sell him anything, on the grounds that the kid's attitude is bad for magic. Most of you will probably not support Denny in this. But I think he's right. It's often said that today more people are doing magic than did magic 30 years ago. Right, but more of the magic that's done now is bad magic, compared to what an earlier generation did. I bought at Tannen's (when it used to be Tannen's) in the 1950s. Jim Herpick would help me with execution of moves and sleights, but only if I was better this time than I was last time, i.e. only if I'd practiced between last time and this time. I did not have to buy something every time. That kind of thing is passing out of existence now. Web merchants sell at discounts and get customers who perhaps should be supporting a real magician like Denny. In these times it's hard to pass up a big discount. But maybe preserving a tradition that upholds the standards of our art is more important than saving a few bucks.
Alan
[quote]
On 2010-09-26 17:30, doormouse wrote:
"WHILE AT USA I BUY FROM MURPHY"
Interesting that Murphy's sells to non-dealers. I thought they claimed to sell to dealers only?
[/quote]

@Doormouse
How is it possible that you bought from Murphys direct? They have no store front?
Alan- I don't want to re-quote you but your insights and thoughts are really spot on.

Those who are serious about magic will join some local clubs or SAM chapter and hopefully the traditions will be passed on in a similar but different way as the past. The accessibility of magic on the net is a fact/trend that isn't about to change. No way.

I grew up in L.A. Going to Hollywood Magic and many other local stores. I'm thinking that our traditions aren't necessarily in danger just because brick and mortar stores are scarce. They are being passed on in other ways.

More people may be trying magic and I would agree with you that many are not doing it well - But the same could be said about anything the internet makes accesable now - writing, photography, you name it.
Nexxus, I was referring to the post above (jacoblucas). Interesting that Murphy's claims to sell to dealers only, but so many non-dealers have accounts. Since you are in the biz and represent their line this should probably concern you.
I live in Salem, MA., several years ago, I was surprised to find that one of the best places for my magic purchases was Diamonds Magic, next town over in Peabody, MA. I do most my non-magical item purchases online, so it's great to have a traditional business store that I can physically visit, see demo's of effects, talk shop with fellow patrons, and also have face to face time with the owners.
I buy VERY selectively from eBay. (You have to be careful because there is a lot of artist rip-off stuff. So to be safe, I buy nothing from Hong Kong or China.)

I buy a LOT directly from the creators themselves (Bill Abbott et all)

I buy from Penguin and then

Hank Lee
Stephens Magic

David
I usually buy from popular online magic shops and some times the creators.
HELP NEEDED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wizardmagic.com

Has anyone some good or bad experience with the Wizardmagic.com run by Leigh Hotz???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I want to order some trickS but can´t find any info on this shop here at the café or google.

I have seen an interesting effect that´s not easy to get for that price in other shops, but it´s
an unnown dealer to me...

Thanks already!!!
John
[quote]
On 2011-02-04 08:26, doormouse wrote:
Nexxus, I was referring to the post above (jacoblucas). Interesting that Murphy's claims to sell to dealers only, but so many non-dealers have accounts. Since you are in the biz and represent their line this should probably concern you.
[/quote]

One x in Nexus - You're thinking of Nexxus Shampoo. Nexus definition is: A means of connection; a link or tie. And Magic is certainly what links us together, and the connection that ties us with our audience. That's why I am Nexus Magic. :)

My apologies I meant to quote the other guy. I don't believe that Murphy's is selling direct to the public. But if they wanted too and hide it I'm sure they could do it easily. I think this gentleman was just saying it to feel included in this thread. I am carrying some unique products now, and moving towards more Stage Magic illusions.
Barry's Magic Shop
Denny and Lee - Baltimore
Lately I have been buying more and more from Outlaw Magic and Promystic. Both have awesome stuff...perfectly detailed. Great performers.

David
Am lucky to have three great "brick and mortar" shops near my home in Ontario... Brower's Den of Magic, Morrissey Magic and KW Magic. I try to support them as much as possible. For specialized items Promystic and Hocus Pocus have been great.

John
[quote]
On 2010-09-02 16:30, mikenewman wrote:
I just went back to madhater site and now realize something else:
They are selling Knock-of items!
I don't see how you can support that? Now, am I just saying this because they are ignoring me? No. I am against the knock-off pushers! They should know better, but obviosly only care about profit. This is America, and is within their rights legally. But it is my right to avoid them and post here as well...

I just hope others (especially on here!))realize this and don't support it. But, your right to do as you please by all means... But to see an "Eternal Order" member support it really makes me wonder. Maybe he doesn't know that madhatter does this? If you don't realize it, then I apoligize. Hopefully you re-evaluate your support.

I am pretty sure this isn't the Kennedy version...
http://madhattermagicshop.com/magicshop/product_info.php?products_id=7513

And this isn't from Mr. Jay Sankey
http://madhattermagicshop.com/magicshop/product_info.php?products_id=8269

Losander table??? I think not
http://madhattermagicshop.com/magicshop/product_info.php?products_id=8099

This one is REALLY Good! They advertise it is a Knock-off!!!
http://madhattermagicshop.com/magicshop/product_info.php?products_id=6664

Nuff said!
[/quote]

Well...

As far as The Sankey Item and Kennedy Mystery Card Box- I see both of those items for sale at my Local Brick N Morter Shop- I believe they both or at least the Kennedy box look alike is from Magic Makers-
for the Losander Table- Check Lou C's post out:
"I purchased my Losander Floating Table from Madhatter. That was my only experience with them and I was happy with the transaction! Yes it is a real Losander as I spoke with him about receiving mine. They had to special order them from him and Losander shipped it to me from Germany. " Nuff said...

And for the knock-out WOW- Yes- you are correct- it is a knock-off. Yes they do sell some knock off items- if you don't want to buy the knock off items- don't- but if you look at there site they have TONS of other stuff- NOT knock off items - SAME items being sold at other online shops for MUCH better price. So if you want to pay more for the same items you get elsewhere- that's cool- go for it- to each his own.

Nuff Said...
I have purchased a number of (non-knock off items!) from MadHatter Magic, but lately I have had some difficulties with my purchases there. One product that appeared on their site to be a known high quality one turned out to be a much lesser product that retails for $30, but MadHatter sold it for more than double that. (Which was one of the reasons I was convinced it was one of the better ones at first). I complained and they gave me a partial credit but no refund offered. Then more recently they advertised some sets of Cartel Coins for an unbelievable price. (Ha! I should know better!) They did deliver to some but then wrote to the rest of us and said that they were all "defective" and were returned to the distributor. I don’t know, it just doesn’t seem to be the same as they had been in the past. Hasn’t changed hands, has it?

Jim
[quote]
On 2011-07-21 14:54, J-Mac wrote:
I have purchased a number of (non-knock off items!) from MadHatter Magic, but lately I have had some difficulties with my purchases there. One product that appeared on their site to be a known high quality one turned out to be a much lesser product that retails for $30, but MadHatter sold it for more than double that. (Which was one of the reasons I was convinced it was one of the better ones at first). I complained and they gave me a partial credit but no refund offered. Then more recently they advertised some sets of Cartel Coins for an unbelievable price. (Ha! I should know better!) They did deliver to some but then wrote to the rest of us and said that they were all "defective" and were returned to the distributor. I don’t know, it just doesn’t seem to be the same as they had been in the past. Hasn’t changed hands, has it?

Jim
[/quote]

No- don't think so JIM. That's interesting- any problem I have had- they took care of it and made everything right. Now- I have had instances were they contacted me and told me up front that what I ordered- only part of it was shipped or the gimmick was left out- but again- they gave me the option to order something else- refund money or they even (two times) had the company they order from DROP SHIP item directly to my house!

Anyway- I also want to mention that I had some shipping problems with something I ordered from Dee Christopher- the item never made it to my house- he said he shipped it again- three times to be exact. It still hasn't made it to my house YET- but what Dee did exhibited UNBELIEVABLE customer service- I am not going to tell you exacly what he did- but let's just say Dee made it more than right. Through this whole ordeal- Dee returned everyone of my emails promptly and respectfully. I will never hesitate to order from Dee again and HIGHLY recommend ordering from him. Thanks Dee for AWESOME customer service!

RNK
I'm a member of hocus pocus and they have a lot of NICE sales on their site, but NOTHING beats walking into an old-fashioned brick n mortar magic shop, so I go to Daytona magic here in FL. Harry Allen is almost alwayss there, and he knows and can demo every trick in the place, which has a HUH-YOOOOGE inventory including no-longer-made relics acqired from the deceased / retired. They also have a convention every year, which I've yet to attend. :(
I buy from the creator, & whenever possible, from my local brick & motar magic shop. Gotta keep that open, it is my hangout, & club meeting place.
If you are not shopping at Denny & Lee....Start.
I saw Seo Magic is selling the CARD CORNER CUTTER now. Seo is selling this for $25.00! I'm sorry but I had to post as this is disturbing to me. I bought the EXACT and I mean EXACT same one Seo is showing on their web site for somewhere in the range of $6.00 at Staples. This is just highway robbery. Yes, Seo has some good stuff, but their prices are usually way to high!

RNK
Squando is right on. The brick and mortar shops give you way more than tricks. They are able to offer services and advise that just doesn't come from the
Internet suppliers. Look at Denny and Lee's web page. Denny has inventory of things that you've only heard about. Get on their mailing list and support those
Merchants who will support you. Denny has brick and mortar shops in Baltimore and Las Vegas.
MJM magic and Penguin magic. I live in cow town U.S.A. so the closet magic shop is like 2 hours away. The the city its in is super cool. SF.
For general magic, I found Mad Hatter to have the lowest price, and in my humble opinion , having traveled quite a lot and visiting many magic shops, the very best over all is The Magic Warehouse, they deliver fast, match or beat every price, amazing customer service and honest help, if you are working n a new effect , you can show it to the staff and get profession help in a very positive way. Howard and George are very helpful and you always leave the store much more knowledgeable .
Bill is a super guy down at the mad hatter.
and if he has it.it is hard to beat his prices.
todd
BRICK and Mortar:
Diamond's Magic in Peabody, MA (I'm lucky to live in the area, Eddie is the best!!!)

ONLINE:
Penguin Magic

Thanks,
Sami
Mostly I order Online, And mostly Buy from Penguin!, they have great Variety of Products, Great Prices, and Great Shipping!
I have had outstanding customer service from several dealers including a couple that have not yet been mentioned: Bradbury Books, H&R Magic Books, Lybrary.com, Vanishing Inc. Magic. I have also been pleased with my orders from Daryl, MJM, and Meyer Yedid.

When I way outstanding service, I mean that something has gone wrong with the order (or the website) and folks have worked hard to fix the issue. I never had issues with Daryl, MJM, or Meyer so they haven't yet had a chance to demonstrate going to great effort to fix somehing. Perhaps that makes them better.
SEO Magic, too! Service, shipping, quality products!

On 2011-12-09 12:11, hp wrote:
I have had outstanding customer service from several dealers including a couple that have not yet been mentioned: Bradbury Books, H&R Magic Books, Lybrary.com, Vanishing Inc. Magic. I have also been pleased with my orders from Daryl, MJM, and Meyer Yedid.

When I way outstanding service, I mean that something has gone wrong with the order (or the website) and folks have worked hard to fix the issue. I never had issues with Daryl, MJM, or Meyer so they haven't yet had a chance to demonstrate going to great effort to fix somehing. Perhaps that makes them better.
[/quote]
From a UK perspective the best dealers are:

Mike Danata
magictricks.co.uk
JB Magic
International Magic
Zane
Martin Breese
Davenports

The one's to watch out for are:

Worldmagicshop - they show their prices online excluding VAT so they look cheaper than they are for UK buyers (sneaky)
Merchant of Magic - they deal mainly with the trade so private buyers get an inferior service.
Alakazam - they still take your money when products are out of stock
[quote]
On 2011-12-07 20:29, bowers wrote:
Bill is a super guy down at the mad hatter.
and if he has it.it is hard to beat his prices.
todd
[/quote]
I agree, Bill is a good guy who will help you in anyway he can. Not to mention he has super deals!

RNK
I 2nd (or 3rd) the comments about Bill and Madhatter Magic. Unlike some other retailers (the initials HL come to mind!), Madhatter keeps their stock up to date and will notify you about delays or any problems ASAP. Plus, their prices can't be beat. Great customer service. I'd say the same applies to The Magic Warehouse, just down I-95 from me in the Baltimore area. A great selection and incredibly fast shipping - I'll receive orders from them the next day!
YES I always check Madhatter Magic first for whatever I am looking for. Bill always goes the extra mile to make sure your order is correct and sent in a timely manner.
Outlaw
Alchemy Moon
Steven's Magic
Leaping Lizards
Misdirections Magic Shop in San Francisco.

All-time favorite was Joe Berg's when he had a shop on Hollywood Blvd.
I order from Penguin Magic.

With this last order they sent me an email with a link showing a video of them packing my order. How's that for first rate service!

This Christmas I'll be in St Paul MN so I'll stop by Twin Magic and buy something that I probably don't need. I cant wait to find out what it'll be!
Wow, I am getting old. The majority of the stores mentioned I've never heard of except for a cupola. Abbotts is hardly mentioned and they had stores in some of the larger cities, like Indianapolis, where Duke Stern was the manager. This was in the forties and fifties. Tannens always had a nice catalog, as did Abbotts, P&L, Owens - . I bought my first tricks from Johnson Smith and they had a catalog the size of a phone book - lots of junk in it and a lot of SS Adams. I put a request in the book thread for names of dealers that had catalogs, PDF or printed. Did not get very many responses. No B&M here in Donkey Doo, Texas that I know about. Guess I'll have to use the internet. So far, Murphys has the best internet layout compared to some.
Misdirections Magic Shop in San Francisco.

All-time favorite was Joe Berg's when he had a shop on Hollywood Blvd.
Most of the stuff I have is from people that probably are suffering from buyers remorse or just lost interest.

I have more magic than I could ever learn. I have books that are still in shrink rap and the same for DVDs. I for one have to much magic. The stuff I have may not be the latest and greatest but still good stuff.

My latest acquisition was:
1. Life Savers -- Michael Webber
2. The Aronson Approach -- Simon Aronson
3. The Cervon File -- Bruce Cervon
5. The Close-Up Magic of Aldo Colombini -- Aldo Colombini
6. The Artistic and Magical Life of Bob Kline -- William E. King Jr.
7. Quietus of Creativity Vol. 1 -- Dean Montalbano

Now if I could learn just 1% of what was in just these seven volumes I could probably make a living as a magician. But, I already have and other job. I am just a magic junky.
[quote]
On 2011-02-04 08:26, doormouse wrote:
[/quote]
Thanks Doormouse for your concern, though even if this were true which is doubtful, it doesn't concern me as I am building relationships with many different distributors and I am carrying many products other then Murphys. They have been great as Murphys is 4 miles from my house, so it's convenient for my clientele who need products quick. Though I am enjoying my relationships with other dealers, and I am focused on carrying more unique products.
Daryl & Alison at Fooler Doolers.
Great great customer service. Friendly.
Always like how they tell you your purchase has been lovingly wrapped up.
They give you several options for shipping and never goughe you on the price.
I think magictrickstore is great. Excellent communication, great prices. New here, no many posts but I wanted to say that.
Penguin Magic. Great service.
[quote]
On 2011-12-22 16:34, spartacus wrote:
Wow, I am getting old. The majority of the stores mentioned I've never heard of except for a cupola. Abbotts is hardly mentioned and they had stores in some of the larger cities, like Indianapolis, where Duke Stern was the manager. This was in the forties and fifties. Tannens always had a nice catalog, as did Abbotts, P&L, Owens - . I bought my first tricks from Johnson Smith and they had a catalog the size of a phone book - lots of junk in it and a lot of SS Adams. I put a request in the book thread for names of dealers that had catalogs, PDF or printed. Did not get very many responses. No B&M here in Donkey Doo, Texas that I know about. Guess I'll have to use the internet. So far, Murphys has the best internet layout compared to some.
[/quote]

Murphy's has such high prices! They gouge everybody- dealers and non-dealers. They put a MANDATED retail price on items and make the retailers sell for that price- if you don't they boycott you or tell you if you don't sell at that price you cannot but thier products! That's why Murphy's is my last stop if need be.
In my opinion one of the most reliable on line magic dealers in the UK are Magicianfx- great prices, and honest advice with regards purchasing via the phone.
Uh, let me see.....uh....does almost everywhere count? I could probably name the places I don't buy magic about as easy as I could name the places where I do buy magic. I have some favorite shops I use when I can, but many times magic items are difficult to locate. I buy from many different magic sources online. I don't live anywhere near a brick & mortar magic shop but I support them when I can.

Also, I buy so many things from regular stores for my magic show as well. From department stores, malls, grocery stores, tool suppliers, various types of dollar stores, office supply stores, teacher supply stores, fabric shops, hardware stores, magnet suppliers, electronic suppliers, toy stores, to untold specialty shops, etc, etc, etc.

Wow, we should get some kind of award, reward, citation, something. Magicians are great for the economy! :)

Regan
I buy from this forum mostly. Used to shop in MJM, before I tried Penguin. Now mostly from Penguin, and have becoming a return customer for Hocus-Pocus even at the beginning I was put off by their shopping cart where it doesn't show the shipping cost. But they also have a great customer service *hats off for Karen*

I just bought two items from Madhatter last week, and it was great service as well. Called em up through Skype half across the globe. It feels amazing :D
[quote]
On 2012-01-09 10:30, RNK wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-12-22 16:34, spartacus wrote:
[/quote]

Murphy's has such high prices! They gouge everybody- dealers and non-dealers. They put a MANDATED retail price on items and make the retailers sell for that price- if you don't they boycott you or tell you if you don't sell at that price you cannot but thier products! That's why Murphy's is my last stop if need be.
[/quote]

Stock is always an issue too, and the reasons you mentioned are quite frustrating.
Bob Solari Magic- Excellent service (first class), pricing and unique effects. The turnaround time on orders is excellent and I can tell Bob really cares about his customers.
Penguin Magic- Good service and nice selection.

In the past, Hank Lee was a favorite but the service is hit or miss.

James
I recommend MagicWarehouse.
GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE and very cheap shipping cos.

Just DO NOT buy from wwww.visualmagicshop.conm. It's the WORST place to buy.
They will take your money and NEVER SEND YOUR ORDER.
I'm a Penguinmagic man myself. Love their service.

JB Magic USA is another, and Worldmagicshop.com of course for the exclusive orders
from over seas.
[quote]
On 2011-12-10 07:56, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
From a UK perspective the best dealers are:

Mike Danata
magictricks.co.uk
JB Magic
International Magic
Zane
Martin Breese
Davenports

The one's to watch out for are:

Worldmagicshop - they show their prices online excluding VAT so they look cheaper than they are for UK buyers (sneaky)
Merchant of Magic - they deal mainly with the trade so private buyers get an inferior service.
Alakazam - they still take your money when products are out of stock
[/quote]
I have never had a problem with merchant of magic, they have always been very friendly and kept me up to date with my orders . I have ordered from magicbox.uk.com and that's another good service . freepost have sent my stuff really quick but it was only cards so cant say about the rest of there stuff . Martin Breese is amazing Martin and John Hinchliffe are really helpful
The usual,
1) Wizard's Chest - Reinke Bros (local)-when they have my item. A little extra $ is okay.
2) Whomever has it at the best price. I'll avoid MM only.
3) Ebay, if it's okay to get used.
4) Club meetings and Conventions.
I prefer B&M when possible. I also prefer direct when possible. That said, I have had great service from Penguin.
Ok, I usually buy from Penguin, Hocus Pocus,Hank Lee and some directly from Magician such as Aldo, Sankey, and Daryl. But who is MJM people keep talking about?
Hocus Pocus it tops for me. Great discounts and the best when it comes to Customer Service. Penguin is 2nd. I just started using MJM and getting a 10% discount on everything. Then I bought the Blower Gimmick from them which was a preorder. When I got it it turned out to be a lemon. Their customer service is lacking big time. I won't be going back to them any more.
I like:
The Magic Trick Store...great service and good pricing and free shipping with over $50 order as well as offering some really good freebies. This is my go-to
Hocus Pocus
Penguin
Ronjo has some hard to find items
Elmwood Magic is reliable and has some interesting exclusives
I've been buying things from this old guy called Larry at Eagle Magic if I go to a shop.

Otherwise, I buy from WizardHQ. The guy there is a great guy but will talk your ear off. It's usually good talking though and I've got lots of tips about what are great new tricks to get.

Their support has been really good.
1. Merchant of magic - http://www.magicshop.co.uk/
2. Discount magic
Some private dealers are also great. Martini, Jamie Grant, Colombini, Cameron Francis. They are really decent and respectable.

Penguin is still in the top list, Hocus-Pocus and MJM.
Penguin Magic has been the best.

1) Free Shipping on orders of $40 or more

2) Discounts that surpass other shops

3) "Real Time" online support

4) Order dispatched immediately.

5) No backordering

6) Live online lectures that you can re-watch anytime
Elmwood Magic has real time inventory, if you are able to put it in your cart it is in stock. Why is that so hard for other dealers? Also while some other companies let you use Pay pal Elmwood treats it just like a regular credit card transaction and you don't have the hassle of sending them a separate e mail with your order and payment. You go through their check out the same with pay pal and immediately get an order confirmation as well as delivery confirmation sent to you usually the same day if ordered by 4 pm. While their prices aren't as low on some items as a few of the others mentioned they more than make up for it with outstanding customer service, a modern reliable ordering and in stock shopping experience and great sale promotions. Now for runner ups...

Hocus-Pocus has the best sale promotions I find myself spending about 1500-2000 a year on sale items alone not to mention all their exclusives. Fast shipping. My only complaint is if they owe you a store credit you can't use it during those sales and no real time inventory and no easy pay pal access. Still really nice people and good overall experience.

MagicWarehouse Great selection and outstanding customer service and low prices. They will honor store credits at any time and will take pay pal though again it will require a separate e mail. No real time inventory but sometimes if they updated when you add an item they don't have it will come up out of stock but not always reliable like with Elmwood. They have same day shipping in most cases.

MadHatter Magic has great prices and are friendly BUT a lot of items they put on sale are Chinese Bootlegs. Example I already owned 2 Modern Times by Henry Evans and I saw they had it on sale for 7.00 so I ordered it. The packaging was different with one side English poorly scanned the other Chinese and the gimmicks had a lot of visible dried wax on them and when the card case card vanished to change to a card it was poorly aligned and you could tell. I also purchased Kartis Visible Bill change for 10.00 it came with a fake 100 dollar bill attached to the white paper instead of the Real One Dollar bill that comes with the genuine version. Also the dvd wouldn't play. Again I already owned the genuine Kartis and I know what it should look like. ALSO avoid their Chaameleon Champagne effect like the plague. At least they did add the word China to it after I bought it. The video that showed the effect was also taken down. IT actually looked really good. The version I was sent is a dollar plastic cup with two side construction paper covered inserts. You can not use water. The so called water is a piece of mirrored foil that a little girl walked up to me and said I can see my face in the paper in your cup. So if the prices seem too good to be true At MadHatter they probably are.
I like Hocus-Pocus and Penguin for what they do, but I do like to support the brick and mortar dealer
Especially Denny and Lee whenever possible.
Hank Lee of course.....
I buy a lot of Bizarre and Mentalist stuff. I have bought form Penguin, Magic Trick Store, Outlaw and several other smaller places that specialize in mentalism and Bizarre.

-Max
We are super lucky in Chicago, I have 3 Magic shops within 15 miles of my house. I buy my magic from:
1. Magic Inc
2. Ash's Magic Shop
3. Midwest Magic

If there is something that they can't get (very few things) I buy it directly from the author or manufactorer.

Edd
I try to order my stuff straight from the creator most of the time.
How many times so I have to say this

this is http://www.dennymagic.com and then there is everything else

Where else can you get an experienced performer, one of the world's best, who toured the world for 30 years on the telephone when you call?
(on the second ring with no silly press 1 for this) to answer your questions?
1) Penguin

2) Mad hatter

3) directly from L&L
1) I try to buy directly from the Artist whenever possible (Lectures, Conventions)
2) Magic Cage
3) Denny's Magic Baltimore Shop (Denny is the best!!)
4) Penguin Magic (I love their My download page)
I use to go to Barry's Magic in MD.... Just closed this july.
Another B&M gone.

Barry, Susie, and Frankie are great!!!
As well as a slew of magicians, friends that went there

I will truly miss going into their shop.
Hobby Lobby
Home Depot
Lowes

Randi
Mostly directly from the creator or wherever has what I want in stock with the cheapest shipping to Japan.

In all honesty, I find penguin magic the most reliable in both shipping speed and aftercare.
[quote]
On 2012-07-11 23:55, randirain wrote:
Hobby Lobby
Home Depot
Lowes

Randi
[/quote]

Ain't it the truth! I get more good ideas roaming around those places, and I love to work out my own approach. I am always on the lookout- just this week found animal cracker cut-outs to do a take-off on Cardiograph...

Jim
Has anyone ever bought anything from China Magic?

http://www.52magic.net/index.html

Their prices are really good and $24 shipping to the United States seems reasonable.
Mad hatter is my first choice, if they don't have it, they'll get it. Very fair prices and great customer service. There response to email's is unbelievably fast.
Hocus Pocus
Madhatter
The Magic Warehouse
The Magic Emporium.....NOT!!!!!!!!!!!! I tried ordering from there...1st time...and it was an utter disaster.
Local magic shop
best
1.) Magic Galore and More in Westminster, CA
2.) Magic Apple in Studio City, CA
3.) Penguin Magic in...... The Internet.. :)
My local magic shop Magic Galore. It is located in a room inside of a bowling alley. Online penquin and Magic Café. And Hocus Pocus.
Yea drphil same magic store I usually go to! Ken Sands is an awesome guy!
Ken Sands is great, he's always helpful and has fair prices. Also has tons of magic stories and advice. The friendlest shop in the L.A. area that I know of.
I agree Magic Galore and More is a wonderful magic store. Ordering on line I use Penguin, MJM Magic, and Hocus Pocus.

Joe
[quote]
On 2012-03-09 09:53, Zombie Magic wrote:

5) No backordering

[/quote]

Have to agree Penguin 1st

Hocus

In the UK

Alakazam and Merchant of Magic
I hate when you place an order and they tell you its on its way, while really some of the items you ordered aren't in stock and your waiting for their supply to come in.
[quote]
On 2013-02-11 12:39, arizona wrote:
I hate when you place an order and they tell you its on its way, while really some of the items you ordered aren't in stock and your waiting for their supply to come in.
[/quote]

How about when they tell you your items have shipped but they haven't and you never receive them. I won't mention any names but The Magic Emporium comes to mind.
Alakazam.co.uk <<< Fast Post
magicshop.co.uk <<< Not As Fast
magictao.co.uk <<< Very Slow Post
SEO Magic, too! Fast with excellent customer service.

[quote]
On 2013-02-10 11:46, Martin.Lester wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-03-09 09:53, Zombie Magic wrote:

5) No backordering

[/quote]

Have to agree Penguin 1st

Hocus

In the UK

Alakazam and Merchant of Magic
[/quote]
I just had a bad experience with Hocus Pocus. They had an online sale and they had the Trinity System on sale for $20 which seemed like an amazing price. As with most things in life what sounded too good to be true was too good to be true. What I received was an unauthorized knock off.

Grrrrr!

-Max
Hello,

With respect to the post above here are the facts. The Trinity System that we have currently advertised on our website is the original version or version 1 if you prefer as sold by the mfg. since 2009. This is not a "Knock Off" as stated.

Unfortunately there have been misleading posts and information regarding this item here and other places. Hocus Pocus does not condone or support "Knock Off" products period! If maxnew40 would have contacted us we would glady accept his return no problem. In fact I urge him to conatct me by Phone Toll Free 1-800-407-4040 or be email sales@hocus-pocus.com and I will be glad to accept his return if he prefers.

Hocus Pocus stands behind every item we offer and will do our best to make sure that all customers are 100% statisfied with their transactions.

I hope that this post clears up any issues and thank you for your continued support.

Best regards
Paul Gross
Owner
Hocus Pocus
Penguin
Klamm magic
Madhatter
I'm lucky having a local shop where they know me. I will usually ask them if something is appropriate for my skill level andy style and it if is and they don't have it, I ask them to oeder it.
1) Hocus-Pocus... Paul does a Great job of really trying to stay on top of his customers and his company (see above). He has sales fairly often and also has a nice Estate and Antique Magic section. I do wish they would upgrade their website as it seems behind some of the others in terms of Listing the Items in different ways including maybe when they do have a sale being able to see those items that are eligible for sale first.
2) Madhatter Magic Shop - Pretty good prices all the time but does not seem to get the new items as soon as most other shops. Can really get some good deals in their Specials Section
3) Toss-Up between Seo Magic and Penguin Magic. Both great and I use them if I cannot find something on the first 2 sites listed or these 2 have it for less. Seo also has some unusual or out of teh ordinarry items that you don't see at the other shops
4) all the rest
I agree with your selections -- all fine with exceptional customer service!

Hocus Pocus: Website suggestion: daily notices to e-mail customers -- begin the e-mail with the newest and latest magic rather than antique and collectible effects : some feel pre-owned magic is their specialty and stop reading at that point ... Just a thought that has circulated...

Nat

[quote]
On 2013-02-13 17:39, ChasVH wrote:
1) Hocus-Pocus... Paul does a Great job of really trying to stay on top of his customers and his company (see above). He has sales fairly often and also has a nice Estate and Antique Magic section. I do wish they would upgrade their website as it seems behind some of the others in terms of Listing the Items in different ways including maybe when they do have a sale being able to see those items that are eligible for sale first.
2) Madhatter Magic Shop - Pretty good prices all the time but does not seem to get the new items as soon as most other shops. Can really get some good deals in their Specials Section
3) Toss-Up between Seo Magic and Penguin Magic. Both great and I use them if I cannot find something on the first 2 sites listed or these 2 have it for less. Seo also has some unusual or out of teh ordinarry items that you don't see at the other shops
4) all the rest
[/quote]
I buy from the publishers (such as L&L, Hermetic Press) when possible. Sometimes Penguin. H&R Magic Books for books. Other magic I buy at a local brick-and-mortar shop in Little Rock, Arkansas: Mr. Magic. I moved to Hot Springs, Arkansas, about 12 years ago from New York. I was shocked to find this store. It has to be one of the most well-stocked stores in the country. If you're ever looking for something that you haven't been able to find aywhere else, give him a call. He has an enormous amount of stuff in stock and you may be surprised.
I have a few as my go to places.

Acar at penguinmagic.com, Mandy and Shaun at papercranemagic.com, Steve at emagicsupply.com, Michael at system6magic.com, Rich at trcky.com, Josh and Andi at vanishingincmagic.com, Alex and Kevin at thebluecorwn.com

Of course individual creators like Justin Miller at justinmillermagic.com and Cameron Francis at cameron-francis.com ( boy, do Justin and Cameron knock it out of the park with their releases ).

I guess I'm open to buying wherever they have customer service as priority #1, incredible products and a user friendly site.

I like places that when I order something, they send it. All of the above send it the day I order. If it's a pre-order, they send it on the date they announced ( most of the time, sooner than that ).
Ray,

I just moved out of Arkansas. (Break - up with my wife)

Anyway, I wasn't aware of the shop you mentioned. But it sounds good.
http://www.dennymagic.com Simply the best in the business. when you call he answers the phone, has an encyclopedic knowledge of magic that he willingly shares he will have unusual, hard-to-find and rare items along with the gear workers need. he provides a wide Variety of books on every subject. There are many, many magicians who will tell you they would not be as successful as they are, not as talented as they are, not have the knowledge they do if not for Dennis Haney
Tannens
Hank Lee
MJM
Daffydoug,

Mr. Magic (Jim Henson), in Arkansas, doesn't do any advertising. It's all word of mouth. I was here about 4 years before I even knew it existed. Like I said, if there is anything you are looking for that you haven't been able to find, give him a call. You might be surprised.

The local magic club (IBM), in conjuction with the magic store, also hosts great lecturers, from Banachek to David Stone, Daryl, Jonathan Pendragon, and others. What a find!
Message: Posted by: Silver Glove Magic (Feb 21, 2013 10:08AM)
I frequent The Magic Apple, Studio City California. And of course the Penguin.
Yea The Magic Apple has a great selection of magic. Great place!
Williams Magic in Tucson, if they sell it. I always try to go to them first. Sad news, they are closing their Brick and Mortar shop. Good news, they have a huge rig transformed into a mobile shop, and they travel the US with it. They will continue to sell online, but it is a sad that a another great shop is closing, a place to gather and meet. I am in Mississippi now, and they get things in on a Thursday, they send it that day and I have it by Saturday.

Fast, friendly just great people.
Oh and Harbor, at this rate how can Hank Lee even be on your list. They aren't even open anymore...
Mostly I purchase directly from creators if at all possible. That's the best way to support your favorite creators IMO.

Jim
[quote]
On 2013-02-27 21:20, Scott Fridinger wrote:
Oh and Harbor, at this rate how can Hank Lee even be on your list. They aren't even open anymore...
[/quote]
I find it interesting that Hank Lee's was just about the only place to receive a series of negative comments, and this was BEFORE we heard about any legal problems he was having.
[quote]
On 2010-04-20 21:52, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:
OK, I'll say it since no one else will - NOT Hank's. Feel free to PM me for details.
[/quote]
[quote]
On 2010-06-16 11:21, EricDraven wrote:
I can tell you where I do NOT buy anymore:
Hank Lee!
Really bad customer care! Besides the books I received looked second hand(!), really bad experiences there...
[/quote]
[quote]
On 2010-06-16 16:40, marknem7 wrote:
Yep, sorry to say ditto for me, regarding Hank Lee. It's as if somewhere along the way, he just stopped caring.... Too bad.
[/quote]
[quote]
On 2010-08-07 14:12, Cyberqat wrote:
Hank Lee is local to me, but I only use him when he has really good specials as IMHO his everyday prices aren't competitive.
[/quote]

Frankly, I've heard much worse in private about Hank Lee for years, and I have also received some questionable customer service of my own. I guess we should not be surprised.

Its a new competitive world out there Mr. Supplier, and you will be rewarded for good customer service and fair prices. I think that sums up what this thread is all about.
My local brick and mortar shop went the way of the dinosaur last summer so I am now restricted to phone orders and online purchases. The old standbys have served me well and still do:

1. Stevens Magic Emporium
2. Hocus Pocus
3. Denny and Lee
4. The Magic Warehouse

For used magic books or props:

1. John Greget
2. Byron Walker
3. O'Dowd
4. J.P. Jackson
1 penquin
2 Elmwood
3 Magic Geek
[quote]
On 2012-07-11 23:55, randirain wrote:
Hobby Lobby
Home Depot
Lowes

Randi
[/quote]

I run past my wife going in Hobby Lobby! I love that store!
Penguin magic
or
hocus-pocus
For UK customers, magicianfx.co.uk is excellent and highly recommended!

Last week I put an order with MagicianFx, shop run by Gary Bryson. I ordered two books and a few other minor items. One of the two books, Card Dodgery by J.K. Hartman had been damaged during shipping. I emailed Gary with a photo of the damaged book and without any hesitation offered me several options to choose from. One of them was of course a refund (no exchange was possible as it was his last copy in stock), and another, that I accepted, was to keep the book as is and a credit note the equivalent of the book price.

Gary was very proactive to offer help once I'd reported my problem.

I forgot to say that Gary had added two recent copies of Magic magazine and a free DVD.

Top mark for MagicianFX and thanks again Gary.
Hanklee.
Hank Lee is the best! :sun:
[quote]On Oct 30, 2014, Claudio wrote:
For UK customers, magicianfx.co.uk is excellent and highly recommended!

Last week I put an order with MagicianFx, shop run by Gary Bryson. I ordered two books and a few other minor items. One of the two books, Card Dodgery by J.K. Hartman had been damaged during shipping. I emailed Gary with a photo of the damaged book and without any hesitation offered me several options to choose from. One of them was of course a refund (no exchange was possible as it was his last copy in stock), and another, that I accepted, was to keep the book as is and a credit note the equivalent of the book price.

Gary was very proactive to offer help once I'd reported my problem.

I forgot to say that Gary had added two recent copies of Magic magazine and a free DVD.

Top mark for MagicianFX and thanks again Gary. [/quote]

Alakazam could learn a few lessons from your experience.
I bought a Ł2/50p coin from them. The quality was absolute shiat !
It looks as though it's been hit by a sledgehammer, and the join is so obvious. I've never been able to use it - and Alakazam would not reply to ANY emails !
DISGRACEFUL DEALER !

Bobby.
Circusman I predict that your post will soon disappear...poof...magic! ...like my post for outlaw effects! its magic! in the past I used to receive a PM why I got banned or why they deleted my posts...o tempora o mores!
Online - penguin
however, I love all brick and mortar magic shops regardless of the size. I still haven't found one I haven't enjoyed myself in. Nothing like browsing, getting to touch the products and ask questions and get suggestions.
Had a really bad experience with magictrickstore today - I ordered an item on sale hoping to have it before Thanksgiving so I could do a performance - they shipped me the wrong item (saying it was a supplier mistake), but refuse to send me the correct one because "it isn't on sale anymore", so all I can do is return the wrong item... will definitely be looking for another online sales site. It's a 2 1/2 hour drive each way for me to get to the local magic shop (twin cities magic in MN), but I guess well worth the time to get good personal service - lesson learned hard way.
I shop from several onlineshops, my latest great dealer is this:

http://toppmagic.com/

Free shipping worldwide...
MagicWarehouse
Ellusionist
Penguin Magic
Theory11
MJM
Penguin used to have free shipping. Their service is great. Now I use MJM.
Both Penguin and MJM have free shipping on orders over $50 - no difference (although Penguin has many products under $50 that qualify for free flat pack shipping)

Ed
Message: Posted by: The Mysterious One (Dec 2, 2015 10:45PM)
I found the customer service at Penguin second to none. I buy primarily through them for many effects. They won me over so many times starting in 2003 when I bought a bunch of DVDs. It was lost in the mail at the apartment complex and never found.. I gave them a call and they immediately re-sent everything, no questions asked. I have spent thousands of dollars with Penguin over the years and feel like a valued customer. They have always delivered extremely quickly and really produce high quality products.

Trick Supply (the company that bought Hank Lee's stock) is very good. Trick Supply and its owner is honest and the polar opposite of Hank Lee. I bought an item that they didn't no longer being produced. He called me up personally and gave me a refund. I buy those hard to find items there not carried by Penguin that I need in performing. My one experience with Hank Lee was better than some. I thought I was buying Timothy Wenk's PB&J; Hank Lee posted this effect on the website. I was truly excited since I wanted the original to support the creator and not a poorly constructed Chinese knockoff. Fast forward to when I received what I purchased, it was the Chinese knockoff. I was upset and up the creek.

I also support the local magic shop when I visit several times every three months across town. The one by my house closed down 8 years ago. It has been a staple for 26 years. I got some great advice there from some of the old magicians when starting out years ago. It brings a tear to my eye not being able to walk in that shop and see the signed poster of the patron saint of Dallas magicians: Mark Wilson.
Is this shop good guys? =)

Honest reviews ;)

just saw this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcFtv4znq9c
The majority of us don't have a choice anymore. Our magic purchases have to be online or over the phone. These days I stay with the Frozen Bird, Vanishing Inc., Hocus Pocus, Denny and Lee, and used items that come up here on occasion.
MJM Magic has amazing customer service. I had ordered an effect that had become sold out. They searched until they found another one.
Penguin Magic is the best magic online store :)
Recently I have been purchasing from Madhatter Magic Shop http://www.madhattermagicshop.com/magicshop/
3 Generations of Magic is my favorite Brick and Mortar shop. Staff is genuine and extremely helpful.
I also order from
1. Penguin Magic (Always excellent service - especially love watching my order packed)
2. Hocus Pocus Magic (Sometimes the owner, Paul, actually answers the phone)
3. Vanishing Inc. (Once again, excellent service - actually spoke to Joshua's mom once)
[quote]On Dec 6, 2015, Ceierry wrote:

Honest reviews ;)

just saw this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcFtv4znq9c [/quote]

I ordered a wallet from them. They had used a JOL picture for their item. What I received was not JOL nor did it match their picture. I do not recommend them.
For real Magick Alchemy Moon
http://www.alchemymoon.com/
Vanishing inc is my go to place. I just find the website easy to use. it make sense to me.

penguin's website confuses me.
Penguin, check Café responses.
Hocus pocus - I shop at the physical store when I get the chance. if not online.
If you're looking for Magik that takes people to places they never knew existed, then definitely check out [b][i]Alchemy Moon[/i][/b]... Seriously!
Just ordered my Christmas magic at Penguin Magic. Mistakenly ordered a lecture that I had ordered before. Emailed customer support late at night and it was fixed before I woke up. Superb!
I look at it differently.
I no longer order from shops or people who have either never delivered my paid in full item, or I had to wait an unacceptable amount of time to receive my paid in full item.

Items I am interested in purchasing I order from dealers and people who have shown they will actually deliver in a timely manner.

Tired of the excuses and lies.
Vanishing inc
Alakazam
Penguin
2nd hand from magic week and Facebook
For me, number one in price and service is The Magicwarehouse. A close second is Penguin for the same reason. I had minor issues over the years with both companies and the customer service was unbelievably amazing. I also know, neither one sells knockoffs and that for me is very important . They both have a high degree of integrity and morals.
[quote]On Dec 16, 2015, DelMagic wrote:
[quote]On Dec 6, 2015, Ceierry wrote:

Honest reviews ;)

just saw this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcFtv4znq9c [/quote]

I ordered a wallet from them. They had used a JOL picture for their item. What I received was not JOL nor did it match their picture. I do not recommend them. [/quote]

They are also selling pirated items.
Just received their email and it listed several Promystic rip offs.
Just doesn't seem right !
I'm a long time user of:
Stevens Magic
Hocus Pocus
Penguin magic

After many years with these companies I've never had a disappointing experience.
My favorite magic shops are:
1) Penguin
2) Magic Wareshouse
3) Hocus Pocus
I've been buying most of my supplies from Morley's Magic Shop in Butler NJ.
Online I use mostly Penguin Magic.
Today I'll give Madhatter a try. Their prices are pretty good.
So many fine online magic shops - don't miss Magic and Such in Colorado - first rate customer service!

[quote]On Jul 6, 2016, Ihop wrote:
I've been buying most of my supplies from Morley's Magic Shop in Butler NJ.
Online I use mostly Penguin Magic.
Today I'll give Madhatter a try. Their prices are pretty good. [/quote]
Penguinmagic.com
PropDog.co.uk (Dave Bonsall)
Magicinc.net (Pedro Nieves)
HocusPocus (Paul Gross + His son)

This is Top of the Game customer service - Never had a single problem.

BTW I live in Europe, THANK YOU to each of them!
Bill Groome at Madhatter Magic provides great customer service.
Make sure to check out their "Specials" section for some great deals.
Penguin Magic
The Magic Warehouse
MJM MAGIC
PENQUIN MAGIC
HOCUS POCUS

JOE
Alakazam
Penguin
Lybrary
I try and avoid ellusionist if I can lol
Penguin Magic
1. Denny & Lee
2. Penguin Magic
3. Directly from the creator's site (Bill Abbott, Paul Richards, etc)
I used to buy from Madhatter...until they started mixing in Chinese knockoffs..I also used to buy from Hank Lee's...until there was credit card fraud...now I try to stick with Penguin...unless they don't have what I need.
1.Hocus Pocus
2.Vanishing Inc.
3.MJM Magic
4.Penguin Magic

I always choose Free Shipping :-)
MJM is the BEST
[quote]On Sep 21, 2016, supertoad12 wrote:
1. Denny & Lee
2. Penguin Magic
3. Directly from the creator's site (Bill Abbott, Paul Richards, etc) [/quote]

Just found out that Denny & Lee in Las Vegas (which changed their name to Las Vegas Pro Magic several months ago) is shutting the doors for good on Saturday... of course, Baltimore location is still going to be open.

Too bad, it was about the only "real" magic shop around here other than the tourist "pitch" magic shops...
Thank you for including us with such a nice group of people!

It's good dealing with people who know that what they want and what they need are not always the same thing. We have both, but I'd rather sell you the things you can use :)

[quote]On Jul 25, 2016, Lseeyou wrote:

Magicinc.net (Pedro Nieves)

This is Top of the Game customer service - Never had a single problem.

BTW I live in Europe, THANK YOU to each of them! [/quote]
1. [url=http://www.mjmmagic.com]MJM Magic[/url]
2. That's all! They usually have everything I need at the lowest price. Plus I like the personal touch they provide in their service.

I used to purchase from Penguin back in the day but no longer.

Occasionally, I will also try to support magician's directly by purchasing straight from them, like Andy Amyx or something.
Mostly Penguin Magic
Vanishing Inc.
MJM
Lybrary
I purchase directly from magicians or the magic book dealers if I can.
Http://www.magicandsuch.com/

Magic and Such

New Shop with Excellent Customer Service!
Digikey
Mouser
Lowes
The Robot Shop
Directly from the creator if possible

With the last major purchase coming from RNT2 :)
Penguinmagic, Alakazam & MJM
I am going to have to add:

MJM
The Magic Warehouse
Morley's Magic in NJ; They took the time to separately mail several decent free tricks that they forgot to put into the box with my order. It was like getting a completely unexpected holiday gift in the mail :)
Robot shop, nice. I shop there too

Penguin, direct from creator and locally for me
[quote]On Oct 24, 2016, ThunderSqueak wrote:
I am going to have to add:

Morley's Magic in NJ; They took the time to separately mail several decent free tricks that they forgot to put into the box with my order. It was like getting a completely unexpected holiday gift in the mail :) [/quote]

I don't live too far from Morley's Magic.
Great for customer service. I go there sometimes to pick up something and will spend a few hours just talking magic and getting help with my technique.
If I have time, I'll take the train to NY and go to Tannen's and Fantasma. I love watching Magick Balay behind the counter in action.(Tannen's)
Penguin magic...mostly
Tricksupply.com -Now the BEST supplier in Nevada!
Ordered off wholesalemagic.com for the first time . They wont confirm after 3 weeks after I ordered ,even if anything is on the way to Me.
Allowing for the fact Im in New Zealand ,I understand shipping takes longer .But they could at least respond to an email.Never Again.
Penguin magic in my experience is the best
Just want to give a quick kudos to Paul Gross and Hocus Pocus. Something I ordered arrived this past Sunday and unfortunately it was slightly damaged. I emailed Hocus pocus Sunday afternoon and first thing this morning had an email from Paul apologizing and advising a replacement would be sent. A few minutes later I got the email confirming a new item has been shipped. This is first class customer service. Not all websites and shops are equal. Thank you again Paul.
Stevens Magic Emporium I always deal directly with Mark the guy is a class act and I high recommend them.

They truly deliver great service.

-Alex
Alakazam magic, Penguin magic (but the shipping cost for international rises a lot this year), Mystique Factory
Saturn magic
Alakazam
Generally just penguin or directly from the creator, but I will go to ellusionist once in a while.
Penguin Magic, for sure. Excellent costumer service and they got a LOAD of stuff. They're the biggest I'm aware of.
The only case I don't get from them is when they don't have the product I want, or the best deal (that's hard to happen, but I've seem).

Max Hazy
Prop dog
Nowadays Alakazam UK, Penguin Magic, and direct from various creators. Lulu sometimes for books.

In the past, often Tannen's or Fantasma Magic as they are relatively close and I would stop by if in Manhattan.

Carter
Direct from the creators where possible. Otherwise:

Stevens
Alakazam
Propdog
Saturn
I've bought a good deal from Outlaw in the past but less recently.

Great service from all.
Best,
Francis
My favorite sellers are:

1. Daytona
2. Hocus-Pocus
3. SEO-USA
4. Midwest
5. Stevens
1. Stevens
2. Hocus-Pocus
3. Lebanon Circle
4. Gemini Artifacts
Hocus pocus
1. Two reputatble local magic shop - to support brick and mortar magic shop the best I can
2. Vanishing Inc / Penguin Magic / Sole dealer or manufacturer of specific effects (props) / other online shop with particular item on sale
3. Magic Conventions
4. Ebay for collector items
Direct when possible - otherwise Penguin.
Brick & Mortar whenever I'm travelling.
International Magic in London
Saturn Magic recently
Magic shop.co.uk
propdog

always open to new suggestions though