(Close Window)
Topic: 13 Step to Mentalism DVD by Richard Osterlind
I've just open Penguin Magic, and this stuff is on the list of new arrival....
for many years, 13 step of mentalism book by Corinda became my bible, and finaly release on a 6 DVD set......

here's the details:
Tony Corinda's landmark work, 13 Steps To Mentalism, is widely considered to be the mentalist's bible. In this comprehensive DVD series, modern-day master Richard Osterlind performs dynamic effects from each step of Corinda's seminal work in front of a live audience. Then, along with co-host Jim Sisti, digs deep into the principles and concepts that make this material so strong and timeless. This DVD set ably demonstrates why Corinda's 13 Steps To Mentalism will always be a fundamental and substantial part of any mentalist's education.

DISC 1
Introduction to Corinda's 13 Steps to Mentalism
Step One - Swami Gimmick
Introduction
Discussion of the Book
Swami Gimmick - Discussion
An Opening Effect
A Stage Effect
Dartboard Prediction
A First Class Newspaper Effect
Matches or Cigarettes
A Close-Up Quickie
Living and Dead
Step Two - Pencil, Lip, Sound
and Muscle Reading
Introduction
The Spectator as the Telepathist
Just Chance (Impromptu)
Ghost Deck
Sujan Location
Muscle Reading - Discussion

DISC 2
Step Three - Mnemonics and Mental Systems
Introduction
The Amazing Memory Test
A Day For Any Date
Extraction of Cube Roots
Magic Square
Knight's Tour
Simple Card Systems

DISC 3 Step Four - Predictions
Introduction
What is a Prediction? - Discussion
Predictions, Billet Knives, Pencils, and Indexes - Discussion
A Million to One
The £75,000 Test
Astronomical
The Third Choice
The Prophesy
Hanging Prediction
Step Five - Blindfold and X-Ray Eyes
Introduction
S ightless Vision Act
Impromptu Test (performance only)
Mental Masterpiece (Fogel's Newspaper Prediction)

DISC 4
Step Six - Billets Introduction
Billets - Discussion
Center Tear
Jaks' Crystal Locket
Three Little Questions
Great Minds Think Alike
Step Seven - Book Tests
Introduction
A Classic Swindle
My Word
A Lesson in Mentalism
The Missing Link
The Crossword Puzzle

DISC 5
Step Eight - Two-Person Telepathy
Introduction
Two-Person Telepathy
Step Nine - Mediumistic Stunts
Introduction
Mediumistic Stunts
Cold Hand
Zarkamorta II
Spirit Slates
Step Ten - Card Tricks
Introduction
Photo Memory
Incredible Slate Test
Teleprognos
Birds of a Feather
Blind Coincidence
Two Minds
Before Your Very Eyes

DISC 6
Step Eleven - The Question and Answer Act
Introduction
The Question and Answer Act
Step Twelve - Publicity Stunts
Introduction
Publicity Stunts - Discussion
Step Thirteen - Patter and Presentation
Introduction
Patter and Presentation - Discussion

Total Running Time: Approximately 12hrs

Link:
http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorderproduct.php?ID=11799

I already ordered this DVD set from my local magic shop, hopefully, less than 1 month this DVD will be arrive at my home.
Wow, this I have to own
Call hocus-pocus and gets this now, they ship Monday. I have this book as well and believe me this will teach not only mentalist how to be better mentalist, but also it will teach the magician how to perform better. I am really excited about this DVD set. With Richard Osterland teaching you the material you will learn a lot.
I just got through watching the first three DVD's in this series.

THEY ARE AWESOME!

I have owned the book for quite a few years but really haven't put in the work it deserves. Richard and Jim Sisti do a great job of breaking everything down. I am really impressed with the amount of work that went into this set. Highly recommended. I don't want to comment further because I haven't watch the rest of the DVD's but this stuff is top shelf mentalism. I have never really been too much into mentalism but this set has changed my mind.

My only complaint so far is the case that the DVD's come in. The outside of the case was fine when it arrived in the mail but there were several cracks and loose pieces of plastic inside when I opened it. Upon examination, two of the DVD's were actually loose and moving around. The plastic piece that holds them in was damaged. I just wish these cases were built in a way so they could withstand at least a few years of being knocked around, not just a few days in the hands of the Postal Service. My only complaint so far.
[quote]
On 2009-10-23 17:57, Justin Lewis wrote:
Call hocus-pocus and gets this now, they ship Monday. I have this book as well and believe me this will teach not only mentalist how to be better mentalist, but also it will teach the magician how to perform better. I am really excited about this DVD set. With Richard Osterland teaching you the material you will learn a lot.
[/quote]
100% agree........
[quote]
On 2009-10-25 00:07, MagicSteve84 wrote:
I just got through watching the first three DVD's in this series.

THEY ARE AWESOME!

I have owned the book for quite a few years but really haven't put in the work it deserves. Richard and Jim Sisti do a great job of breaking everything down. I am really impressed with the amount of work that went into this set. Highly recommended. I don't want to comment further because I haven't watch the rest of the DVD's but this stuff is top shelf mentalism. I have never really been too much into mentalism but this set has changed my mind.

My only complaint so far is the case that the DVD's come in. The outside of the case was fine when it arrived in the mail but there were several cracks and loose pieces of plastic inside when I opened it. Upon examination, two of the DVD's were actually loose and moving around. The plastic piece that holds them in was damaged. I just wish these cases were built in a way so they could withstand at least a few years of being knocked around, not just a few days in the hands of the Postal Service. My only complaint so far.
[/quote]
hhmmm...hopping my dvd condition better, because I live in Indonesia, shipping from US takes 3-4 weeks......sometimes, something that I ordered damage on shipping.....
Okay, I watched it. I'm going to put my thoughts in every thread that this series appears in. Why? Because I want to hammer in my opinion

First: FANTASTIC! AMAZING! WOW!!! This is a giant series to get. I believe that with people reading less and less (and that's a shame) that the 13 Steps DVDs will become the new classic. People will use it as a starting point. What's funny about that is that now Richard has proven that you SHOULD read the classics. So many constantly say that there's nothing worth performing in that book. WRONG!

Richard has now given you hours worth of working material that comes straight out of the book. Of course, he played around with the methods, presentations and looks, but that's what we've all been saying for a long time. Richard just took the time to prove it.

If you are interested in mentalism or you've been doing it for a short time or even for years, GET THIS SET OF DVDS!!!!

One more opinion, but I also stand by it. If Richard had bundled his Easy to Master Series, Mind Mysteries Series, No Camera Tricks and the 13 Steps Set, and called it the Master Volume Of Mentalism, he could have sold it for thousands of dollars for each set and it would still be underpriced. I'm not kidding.

I would having given a left testicle to have this when I was starting out. Heck, I would have given both. I'm just astounded at the value that these DVDs are giving to the mentalism community... especially those starting out. If you don't buy, watch, study, then study some more, these DVDs then you're insane and should be booted out of the mentalism community.

You'll never know what you are missing and you'll go years and years fumbling in the dark when, in fact, Richard has not shone a flashlight, but a giant follow-spot that will show you the correct path.

Bravo, Richard!! I can only say that I wish I had these at my disposal so many decades ago.

Greg
[quote]
On 2009-10-25 16:32, Greg Arce wrote:
Okay, I watched it. I'm going to put my thoughts in every thread that this series appears in. Why? Because I want to hammer in my opinion

First: FANTASTIC! AMAZING! WOW!!! This is a giant series to get. I believe that with people reading less and less (and that's a shame) that the 13 Steps DVDs will become the new classic. People will use it as a starting point. What's funny about that is that now Richard has proven that you SHOULD read the classics. So many constantly say that there's nothing worth performing in that book. WRONG!

Richard has now given you hours worth of working material that comes straight out of the book. Of course, he played around with the methods, presentations and looks, but that's what we've all been saying for a long time. Richard just took the time to prove it.

If you are interested in mentalism or you've been doing it for a short time or even for years, GET THIS SET OF DVDS!!!!

One more opinion, but I also stand by it. If Richard had bundled his Easy to Master Series, Mind Mysteries Series, No Camera Tricks and the 13 Steps Set, and called it the Master Volume Of Mentalism, he could have sold it for thousands of dollars for each set and it would still be underpriced. I'm not kidding.

I would having given a left testicle to have this when I was starting out. Heck, I would have given both. I'm just astounded at the value that these DVDs are giving to the mentalism community... especially those starting out. If you don't buy, watch, study, then study some more, these DVDs then you're insane and should be booted out of the mentalism community.

You'll never know what you are missing and you'll go years and years fumbling in the dark when, in fact, Richard has not shone a flashlight, but a giant follow-spot that will show you the correct path.

Bravo, Richard!! I can only say that I wish I had these at my disposal so many decades ago.

Greg
[/quote]
Can't wait for my DVD set.....
I haven't purchased yet but I saw 2 clips on youtube...it made blow off the dust on my old 13 steps book and relook...we get hung up on all the latest gizmos & videos and forget that the best is in the classics. Richard - - you gonna do video on Practical Mental Effects as well to further remind us how much great material lies in these 2 not-outdated books? Can't wait to buy the set!!!
I think its impossible to be bad if its a Richard Osterlind release.

I just received this and only watched DVD 1. Amazing. Richard goes into extreme detail throughout the explanations.

Excellent job by both Richard and Jim.
I have a set of Mr.Osterlind's other DVD's and love them. So, I'm guessing the 13 Steps is for someone that has no experience or doesn't have the other DVDS?
[quote]
On 2009-11-01 00:25, Joe Mauro wrote:
I have a set of Mr.Osterlind's other DVD's and love them. So, I'm guessing the 13 Steps is for someone that has no experience or doesn't have the other DVDS?
[/quote]

The set has much to offer to experienced mentalists and magicians as well. I actually liked this set much more than Easy to master mentalism set for instance.

J-M
[quote]
On 2009-11-01 00:25, Joe Mauro wrote:
[/quote]

Joe,

The Mind Mysteries series was a collection of my creations. Easy To Master Mental Miracles was a collection of mentalism effects, both old and new.

13 Steps To Mentalism is a sort of testbook - a primer. It covers all the essentials of mentalism and demonstrates effects from the book.

Each DVD series serves its own purpose.

Richard
Richard, thanks for taking the time to write! The set sounds delightful.

Joe
In my next list to buy ...
I love the book but I notice that other than the memory work I don't perform much out of it. I always hear people talk up this book but I have never seen any proof anyone doing anything out of it. BTW how is day for any date on there did Richard change ot from the original text?
I've seen the card index used to good effect, ask B. Smith, he has some good work with it. There's good material in Corinda's but I would say a better all in one shopping would be Anneman's Practical Mental.
I've now seen all 6 DVDs and they are absolutely fantastic. Richard does a great job of analyzing each method he chooses to demonstrate. If he modernizes it some, he fully explains how his approach differed some from the book (remember that pocket calculators weren't available at the time the book was first published).

The approach Richard and Jim take leads the viewer to want to look in the book to discover more of the mysteries that they didn't have time to cover even in 9 hours of DVDs.

Regarding the DVD case - I had the same issue as MagicSteve84. Many of the 'fingers' that grab the DVD hole had broken off, and the clips that hold one of the two internal flaps that hold a pair of DVDs were broken. Pieces were rattling around in the case. It's really surprising that the DVDs weren't damaged (of course, that was my excuse to watch all the DVDs immediately). I had pre-ordered mine from L&L. I contacted them and they sent me a replacement case right away. Great service.

Great job!
Great idea Darby! I just emailed L&L for a new case. Thanks!
[quote]
On 2009-10-25 16:32, Greg Arce wrote:

Greg
[/quote]
REALLY? I thought you would have gone the other route. Because its a DVD but I might have to give this a look per our recommendation.
My DVD set is already arrived....
I've just watch the first DVD, Corinda's book is absolutely great, but with this DVD, 13 step to mentalism became perfect.....
Regarding the DVD case, I have no problem with the case, that's coming perfect to Indonesia.....Thank you L&L and Mr. Osterlind.....
[quote]
On 2009-11-03 08:13, ted french wrote:
I love the book but I notice that other than the memory work I don't perform much out of it. I always hear people talk up this book but I have never seen any proof anyone doing anything out of it. BTW how is day for any date on there did Richard change ot from the original text?
[/quote]

Ted,

I used Harry Lorayne's presentation (with his permission) for the Any Day for Any Date routine. There are now a number of published routines available if you wish to specialize in that effect.

Richard
I just watched the the Richard Osterlind 13 Steps videos and loved 'em all.

I attended the taping of the performances which were fun ,bewildering and often powerful.
(By the way MOST of the audience are lay people who really are having fun.)

I particularly like the interview parts with Richard and Jim Sisti after each section.
With mentalism the performance and context are so important to having a good outcome that the extra guidance is really needed.

I'm thinking they have inspired me to read 13 Steps as well.

I also thought Sandy Sisti did a great job in the blindfold two person act. Although I've seen people do this kind of act more smoothly they were pros with a lot of experience. This was not Sandy's regular "thing".
She made it clear that a regular (albeit talented) person could learn this act. Of course Richard was on the other end which didn't hurt but it really made it seem attainable to me.

An amazing resource! I can't wait to start working on some of my favorites.

-Mary Mowder
I also received a defective case and the folks at L&L were very gracious and will be sending out a replacement. It is good to see a company that stands behind their products.
Can't wait to get this.
This set is the new starting place for anyone getting into mentalism in the 21st century.

12 hours of instruction from one of mentalism's most respected performers/creators makes this set the biggest bargain in instructional DVDs I have ever seen. If the economy was not so lousy, they probably could have easily gotten away with charging twice as much.

You not only get methods, effects and explanations, you get so much more. You get advice, anecdotes, variations etc. taken from years of Mr. Osterlind's experience as a working mentalist.

Mr. Osterlind also has no problem slamming on the brakes to describe (and demonstrate) methods for dealing with an over zealous spectator so, for all intents and purposes, you get a 14th Step: Audience Management.

This set is everything I expected it to be and more. It has "DVD of the Year" written all over it. Messrs Osterlind, Sisti and Falanga deserve tremendous thanks for producing this addition to our libraries.
OK, I ordered this DVD set for $75 at Madhatter and can not wait to get it. It will likely take me months to get through all the material in it and a lifetime to master it. But actually I will be happy if I can master even a handful of the effects on this set.
Yeah, the set is a mush have... clearly the 12 shortest hours I ve spent last year :)
Would this be overwhelming to someone looking to start in mentalism? Perhaps picking up the book first would be a better idea?
I believe the DVD's are made to inspire you to read Corinda's 13 steps. It has been said that this book is a must if you are starting in mentalism. Be aware that 90% of mentalism is performance.

This is just what I have learned since getting interested in mentalism.
[quote]
On 2010-02-24 20:01, magicjackson wrote:
Would this be overwhelming to someone looking to start in mentalism? Perhaps picking up the book first would be a better idea?
[/quote]

I think M. Osterlind made some great updates to the book... audiences today are not audiences half a century ago. Many people will tell you that nothing is better than the original book... I personally think the DVD set contains a good enough teaching of the best things out of that book.

So don't feel indispensable to pick the book first :)
Thanks for the feedback. In browsing in this part of the Café I have seen it stressed over and over that Mentalism is more about the performance. The price of the DVD may be a bit steep for someone looking to start, so the book may be a better route.