(Close Window)
Topic: Ace 'Ace Cutting'
Ok, getting back on track...

I do love a nice bit of ace cutting, and, if Andy is to be believed (ordinary deck, no crimps, no slicks etc etc), I frankly have no idea how the hell this is done! It does look brilliant though. Possibly the best I've seen. Thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/user/AndyHallCardMagic#p/a/u/2/VaLYLEzNA_8
Very well done.Looks impossible.
In God we Trust.
Looks like a breather crimp to me.
I saw this when it was video when he first put it up and have been loosing sleep ever since! I'm certainly no expert on Ace cutting routines but the use of a breather doesn't seem to fit!

The guy does a hellava job negating every method I know of!
How does the use of a breather not seem to fit?

Try it out. Make a breather crimp on 4 cards, shuffle the deck, cut to the 4 cards - piece of cake.

I'm neglecting to see any discrepancy that would indicate it's anything but a crimp of some sort.

I guess maybe the discrepancy is his claim that it's impromptu and doesn't use any crimps, but come on guys, you're smarter than that.
Wow it is very nice move.
Andy is a great guy. Very good work. He is a member here.
Come on pals, many ways to do that! Breathers is possibly the easiest one.

You know guys, there are many possibilities to put a breather, you can use breathers on the fly for instance. Don't always think about the ugly version you can watch in Vernon's vids, there are very nice methods...

If you want, I can show you videos with absolutely invisible breathers (but I won't teach it).
I think we ought not talk openly about how a magic trick is done.
It's not a magic zone here.
Ahhhh man, I'm feeling pretty embarrassed at the moment! I reckon this shows I'm no expert at crimpage either! Back to the books for me!
So what?
So, when magicians wanna talk about magic tricks in a gambling area, no one knows what can occur lol.
[quote]
On 2009-10-28 07:51, AMcD wrote:
Come on pals, many ways to do that! Breathers is possibly the easiest one.

You know guys, there are many possibilities to put a breather, you can use breathers on the fly for instance. Don't always think about the ugly version you can watch in Vernon's vids, there are very nice methods...

If you want, I can show you videos with absolutely invisible breathers (but I won't teach it).
[/quote]
Is there anywhere in print or DVD that you can direct us to learn how to put in a breather on the fly in front of the spectators?
Nothing I'm aware of :(. Among the ones I use some have been grabbed "live" (true play) and one has been devised by myself.

If I remember well, some old magic books have a few pages on slick cards, breather and so on though. Say before 1960 :).
[quote]
On 2009-10-28 11:46, AMcD wrote:
Among the ones I use some have been grabbed "live" (true play)

[/quote]
Arnold,
For those of us who are only half smart (at best!), you mean you saw someone use it in a game or while performing effects and you deducted the method? If so, was it pretty obvious, or did you just get lucky and catch a flash?
Inquiring minds want to know!
Well if that's what Armold means then Arnold is dreaming. :)
[quote]
On 2009-10-28 08:20, tommy wrote:
I think we ought not talk openly about how a magic trick is done.
[/quote]

I agree with Tommy here. And for Andy's sake, if you think you have it, don't tip it.
I disagree. The performer is claiming it's totally impromptu and is done with an entirely ordinary deck. In my opinion, by having that exaggerated disclaimer, it makes it acceptable to scrutinize what's really going on - he's basically asking for it. If he hadn't made that disclaimer, I wouldn't have bothered to say anything.

I guess a good analogy here is a video of someone walking on thin air and claiming it's gimmick-less and 100% impromptu - of course people are going to call shenanigans.

Needless to say, it was a fantastic performance.
What if the Pope said that God owns everything, including intellectual property rights, so secrets don't really "belong" to anyone, and all should have equal claim?
I think the method should stay secret, at least on this public site. If any one you want to talk about it further, maybe go to the more private site?
I'll respect that.
If
Lol, I didn't catch the move. Once, I had a weird feeling that something was happening... and the move was taught to me after :).

Good moves are hard to catch. Good moves are taught...
Hats off to Andy! It's a wonderful little piece, coupled with his characteristic amiable commentary. There's just something enviably appropriate in combining that accent with ace cutting! Maybe I've watched "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels" too many times, but you've got to like the chap!

If it is as we think it is, then the work is darn nigh invisible. And if it is truly impromptu (anytime, any where etc etc), then I'll put my hat back on just so as to be able to doff it again to Andy! Bravo! As something of an 'ace cutting' addict (or should that be 'tragic'?), this is something for a connoisseur to enjoy...

As someone more into the sneaky art of collusion, I admit I'm no expert on the more mechanical side of things. Mr Nash's Infinity is the limits of my on-the-spot-work know-how. Andy's certainly comes across far, far cleaner. Had me sratching my cranium anyway!

Once again, well done Mr Hall! Thanks for the entertainment.
Whatever the method... cheating or no...that was a very impressive demonstration of cutting to the aces... or should I say bullets.
They looked like silver bullets to me... but I could be wrong.
Close is still wrong, right?
Dowser
Regardless, if breathers were used or not, it appears that there must have been some work placed in the aces to me OR work was in the rest of the deck and NOT the aces...

In either case, I agree that the type of work should not be discussed in a public forum :)

However, I thought he did a GREAT job in presentation and execution...I enjoyed the clip :)
Back when andy was on mvd he was gracious enough to send an explanation clip to those who wanted it and he is overall a great guy so one can drop him a PM at youtube to discuss this thing further ...
Yes, he did, and yes, he is a great guy. But he doesn't show up on you tube that often, or here. He is very giving with his work.

mvd? magic video depot?
Yes sorry about that MVD stands for magic video depot ... at MVD andy was the star when it came to patter and presentation at least for me
I recall sending him a PM about this clip and receiving no reply.
He only drops by here every once and a while
I don't know how on the fly the "leaf"(?) crimp is but it sure seems like it would work well for a solution to Andy's routine! Now we just have to get Arnold to publish the work on his wicked cool crimp! ;)

MMc
[quote] I disagree. The performer is claiming it's totally impromptu and is done with an entirely ordinary deck. In my opinion, by having that exaggerated disclaimer, it makes it acceptable to scrutinize what's really going on - he's basically asking for it. If he hadn't made that disclaimer, I wouldn't have bothered to say anything. [/quote]

Maybe I'm nit-picking here, but when I watched the video I thought that he described the deck - minus the four aces placed on the closeup pad - as being on-the-square, which indeed it most likely was, if only the aces were worked to accomplish the effect.

It's a magic trick, and careful selection of the patter to infer that NONE of the cards in the deck were worked at the time he was handling them (the deck was light four aces at that time) is an acceptable stretch of the truth by a performer in my view. Heck, many magicians lie outright to fool their audiences on YouTube.

Bret
I believe his disclaimers... all of them. I also believe this secret is marketed by Lee Earle.
[quote] From Andy's video: "four ordinary aces, there's nothing untoward about them – the deck is ordinary and you can hand them out for shuffling…the spectator can shuffle them…we’re not using any kid if stripper deck or anything of that nature either, and the faces of the cards are not treated with anything – it is a legitimate deck. [/quote]
[quote] By The Dowser: I believe his disclaimers... all of them. I also believe this secret is marketed by Lee Earle. [/quote]
Dowser,

I find your statement somewhat confusing and contradictory: on the one hand you accept the claims that the deck of cards used was “ordinary”…not “a stripper deck or anything of that nature either” and, on the other hand, you infer that the method used relied on a gaff sold by another magician. (I appreciate your not identifying the gaff that you suspect.)

Without going into details of gaffing cards that should not be posted on a public forum, as I stated above, the statement that the deck is legit in his hand at the time the aces are on the layout may be accurate (although a form of deliberately misleading magician’s patter if the aces are worked) and, while the allegation that it’s not “a stripper deck or anything of that nature” does not rule out a different form of gaffed deck, the effect as I viewed it does not require the gaffing of the forty-eight cards into which the four aces are placed.

Furthermore, the FACES of the cards may in truth not be treated with a foreign substance to aid in finding them as alleged (although the inclusion of the word “faces” rather than “the four aces” or “the four cards” does not preclude the treatment of the BACKS of the aces and raises suspicion, even though I do not suspect that the backs of the cards were gaffed by the application of a substance aiding in card location in this effect, despite the fact that the effect could be accomplished in that manner). The word "treated" is also open to many interpretations; I've used it as applying a substance, but a card can be "treated" in many other ways to affect performance.

While I understand Maitre D’s statement that: “If he hadn't made that disclaimer, I wouldn't have bothered to say anything” the disclaimer doesn’t bother me given that the video was posted on YouTube for the general public’s viewing – if Andy had posted the video in this Gambler’s forum himself for peer review and comment and offered to stand by his claim that the deck in its entirety was legit, he would be fair game for criticism.

I like to watch and listen to gifted magicians, and I don’t spoil my pleasure by scrutinizing the moves and trying to figure out how seemingly miraculous effects are achieved, a trap that many budding magicians tend to fall into (and I lesson I learned decades ago).

Bret
Well he was not controlling them nor using any gaffs or anything like that. It was magic.........magicians can do magic you know.
While I may be wrong...I favor the explanation that there was "work" in either the aces or "Work in the deck" with normal aces.

That is my himble opinion for what it worth.

I hope that I am wrong...because I do like to be fooled :)
[quote]
On 2009-11-03 01:45, The Dowser wrote:
I believe his disclaimers... all of them. I also believe this secret is marketed by Lee Earle.
[/quote]

I have no idea who "lee earle" is, but he isn't marketing any of the solution.
[quote]
On 2009-11-04 14:38, kcg5 wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

Reminds me of something I heard a philosophy professor say once:

"I'm not sure what you're saying, but I disagree with you."
I didn’t know my wife was a philosophy professor.
I didn't know our wives were so much alike!
[quote]
On 2009-11-04 14:38, kcg5 wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-11-03 01:45, The Dowser wrote:
[/quote]

[/quote]
If you don't know who he is, how do you know what he is "not" marketing?
Now that's a very good point. Good catch Dowser.