(Close Window)
Topic: The Best 3 fly
There are so many 3 flies. Which one is the best? Gimmicked or ungimmicked.
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Jun 12, 2003 05:43PM)
:0) no comment (o:
:) not to be rude but there are so many threads on this topic already, let's not start another one.
Jason
I predict a hoard of 3-Fly creators posting that theirs it is the best.

Andrew :shucks:
I actually use 3 flies in my version...it's very space age techno hoo ha...

The flies help with the flipper coin. It took me months to train them.

mine is the best.
I kinda like Curly, Larry, and Moe :rotf:
That's funny George. Those are the names of my flies.
Hi Gang,
I have A New Inernational Version
Useing A Fly,A Bee, And A Moth! :)!

Best David Neighbors
The Coinjurer
Ok... we gotta admit, that was pretty darn funny David.
Thanks Dan,
I Got A 100,000 of them! And 2 of them Are actualy funny!!! :)!

Best David Neighbors
The Coinjurer
Hey David,

You said a new international version. So do you use a Tsetse fly, an African killer bee and a Guatemala moth or what? Let me know so I can get the props together in anticipation of your soon to be published manuscript. You are planning on publishing this, right?

Hugh :rotf: :rotf:
Whew David!

You must have as many jokes as matrix routines. I am looking forward to experiencing both at Coinvention.

Scott
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Jun 14, 2003 10:47AM)
I saw a version of 'three fly' in Reed's forthcomming DVD. I liked it.

His train of thought that began with the 'internaltional three fly' has moved ahead several stations into the frontiers of 'uncharted territory'.

Do you remember how you felt when you first saw the Goshman 'Sun and Moon' trick performed? His new material offers many such memorable images and impressions.
Jon
WOW!!! thank you for your kind words about the three fly coming out on the coin Patriot. This is very special coming from you.
People don't seem to realy think something new can be done to three fly. I am glad I discovered what I did. When people try this and the reactions they will recieve wheewweee.
Thank you again Jon, I know your standards are very very very high.
thank you
Reed :wow:
[quote]
On 2003-06-14 12:39, Reed McClintock wrote:
People don't seem to realy think something new can be done to three fly.....
[/quote]

I don't know about that one... I am very close to cracking the "Hands-never-come-together-and-coins-aren't-thrown-from-Hand to-Hand-3-Fly." I can't wait for you DVD Reed and is it going to be in every magic store? I remeber you says Murphy's were dealing it.

Lee
Hi Lee,
Speaking Of A No touch Three Fly I will have 2 or 3 handleings To Show At The COINvention!!! Be There!

Best David Neighbors
The Coinjurer
Nate Kranzo's International 3 Fly from his "Out OF The Box" DVD is pure eye candy.

Chris
Andrew E. Miller,

Mine is the best and it is ungimmicked,LOL, I'm not kidding.

Mano.

P.S.Well I have not seen Nathan's, I guess I'll wait till I see it.
Rather than see numerous techniques for transfers of coins, and no touch versions, international versions (which no longer impress magicians anyway), and so on...

I would like to see people's work on the productions and vanishes. It seems like every time I see a 3 fly, the vanish is essentially the "watch me nest this shell" vanish, and the production is always the same old thing as well.

I've been working on them both, but I don't think that I have anything that great. If someone else has work, I'd love to see it.
The lay audience is still the best gauge on which version is "The Best". I have done several adaptations from various magicians, as well as my own versions. I found through the years that the "Basic", "Standard", perhaps the original that we have started with gives the best reaction to lay audiences. It's quick, direct and not too technical.

The more complicated variations seem to amuse the magicians more. Since we basically know the workings and the moves, it gives us more pleasure when we come across a move unknown to us. I personally tried various versions of 3 Fly to both laymen and magicians long enough to know what tickles both.

More than the moves or technique, I feel its the presentation and the clarity of the plot that sells 3 Fly. Just my opinion.
I will have to cast my vote for Lee Asher's 3 stylin. I use it in my work all the time and as I have said before, you are getting credit for something that you are not even doing. People think that ALL the chips are traveling.

The chips are big and colorful and poker is so hot right now...

Chips(the ones I use that I picked up in Vegas) are nice and smooth!
Use what suits you best. There is no such "best". U3F..
Thanks so much MagicChris!

Still very much inspired by Kenner's handling. I have some new work on it that I think solves a big problem.

All the best,

Kranzo
Does anyone do 7-fly?
[quote]
On 2006-10-25 01:43, Frank Starsini wrote:
Does anyone do 7-fly?
[/quote]

*raises hand*
The farthest I've gone was working on 4 fly ungaffed. My partner in crime/magic,and I have a two person 3 fly routine wherein 3 coins travels from my right to my left to my friends left .....to his right...., he has all 3 etc..... Pretty hard to break down but we're solid with it. We have performed this many times for both laymen and magicians. I am not in anyway including my 3fly variaton on this list!!! I was just reading frank's post and wondered.... hey, would my version with my friend count as 6...6 fly?
Flies spread disease... keep yours zipped up.
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Oct 26, 2006 05:10PM)
[quote]
On 2006-10-25 03:47, rannie wrote:...he has all 3 etc..... Pretty hard to break down but we're solid with it. We have performed this many times for both laymen and magicians. I am not in anyway including my 3fly variaton on this list!!! I was just reading frank's post and wondered.... hey, would my version with my friend count as 6...6 fly? [/quote]

If they are doing the Alan Shaw production... congratulate yourselves as you've brought the trick back it's very first incarnation. :) The problem of what to do with the three that are "not supposed to be around anymore" was a real poser and since I was sitting ... well guess What I did when he handed the coins back and tabled them. ;)

The attention management issues are much easier with two people involved.
[quote]
On 2006-10-25 00:49, Nathan Kranzo wrote:
Thanks so much MagicChris!

Still very much inspired by Kenner's handling. I have some new work on it that I think solves a big problem.

All the best,

Kranzo
[/quote]

Nate, can you share the new work? PM if you can.

Chris
Gary Kurtz'version is my favorite.
I like the one that was just in the September issue of Genii.
I like what Harbottle's stuff . . .
Yeah MagicMaven, I like Kainoa's version also...especially the last coin. I just wonder about having to use half dollars for this effect. I think you have to use silver dollars. To do his version with those you would need huge hands...
Well, Jonathan Townsend used half dollars for the original...
I think the use of the Finger Tip mucle pass for the joke of the last coin going is great! It isn't even a joke.
Very magical . . .
If you don't do Kainoa Harbottle's routine, and you do the joke about "you can see the last coin going" I suggest you look into the finger tip muscle pass with your hands raised, like Kainoa does. People really do think the coins are magnetic. Or you can say you will slow it down for them so that they can actually see the coin going visually from one hand to the other--slow motion.
KILLS
Magicmaven,

Are you talking about the routine which is in "coins on edge" ?
Yes lawrens.

Good routine, good book.
magicmaven,

I have the book and there's no description of the fingertip muscle pass in it...
Do this move described in other Kainoa's book?
mmh, maybe I can find a way to do it...
Bonjour lawrens,

a descritpion of the fingertip muscle pass is in "Cointopia".
Or you can see Kainoa in the "new york coin magic seminar" do his three fly and explain the "fingertip muscle pass".

voila voila
Thank you Dam,
Sorry for the mixup lawrens. I don't have that dvd, but it is probably better than the book simply because the move is very much of a, "see, this is how it is done" type thing. That being said, the book is still really good and worth looking into for the other effects.
Thanks again Dam.
Haha, merci, Dam!

Le bonjour à Brest en passant par le Magiccafé!!!
Cool!

Now I have to buy "Cointopia" along with "nycms"...

"Coins on edge" was truly an inspirational source for me, especially with the Mutobe Display section...great move, endless applications!

Finally I end up with a way to pop a coin while held at the fingertips...don't know if Kainoa uses the same move, but I like the idea...very visual.

Bonne journée!
Once again there is no best anything..
My very good friend and La Famiglia member Mano has a very unique version of three fly.
the coins start out invisible and appear one at a time from copper then to brass then to silver and finaly disappear one at a time with no gimmicks or shells, totally impromptu/
he is now working on lecture notes and a Dvd ,,
Whow, can't wait to check Mano's routine...
Sounds good, any release date preview?
The best thing is to buy all you can purchase. Then make your own decission.
[quote]
On 2006-11-06 23:14, Dynamike wrote:
The best thing is to buy all you can purchase. Then make your own decission.
[/quote]

folks, there is nothing to buy that will make you a better magician, a more likeable person or more impressive.

As to the mechanics for the coins across... well you are likely better served by starting with a presentation premise and let YOUR expression of the basic idea determine what would serve YOU best.

There is some discussion of gaffed versions of the trick in the other section.
Mano mi hermano, you better sound me off when your notes or dvd comes out! I enjoyed the demo you sent me.

Later Bro!

Rannie
I just don't know, I am Polish and I am still working on doing a 1 fly thrice.....
Fingers, you can find some work on the "one fly" in that Genii article.
Thanks Mr. Townsend, I was just joking about the 1 fly thing. However, I am trying to get my hands on the copy of Genii with the article on the 3 fly. As I understand it and from what I heard you made quite a contribution there and I would like to congratulate you for your efforts even though I haven't seen the article yet.