(Close Window)
Topic: Good chain to use...
Anyone have recommendations on good chinas to use for the 'fast and loose?'
On one hand, there is the SFS chain. It appears to be very attractive and well made, but a bit pricey, so unless I can find a used one, I'm going to have to pass. The one that I'm now using came with a routine called the 'Great Chain Con.' Although it's like a ball chain, the "balls" are made in an octagon shape so that the chain won't roll, and it will hold it's shape. I bought it about 6 months ago, and cannot remember where I got it, but I'm sure that it you google the routine, it will come up. The whole deal cost about $12. Well worth it.
You can get stainless steel ball chain at any hardware store. It comes in two sizes, small and large; I would get the large size for better visbility. I think it runs about $1 a foot.

Ball chain does tend to roll a bit on a hard surface, but if you use a close-up mat, the chain won't roll, and it will also be easier to pick up.

There are plenty of fancier and pricier chains around, but this has the advantage of being a familiar object and is also inexpensive. The octagonal ball chain sounds good too; my guess would be to look at the lamp pulls in Home Depot or Lowe's for such a thing. SETH
Thanks!
Message: Posted by: FacadeTheStiltBoy (Nov 11, 2009 10:25AM)
Doc Wilson showed me an absoutly beautiful chain to use for the F&L and you could hardly see the difference in loops. He got it from the school for scoundrels guys and it is worth every penny.
The twisted rope design of the School for Scoundrels chain helps camoflage the discrepancy in the layout. But people have gotten along for years with the ball chain. The octagon ball chain sounds like it should work fairly well at a lower price, but I personally prefer the heavier, more elegant SfS chain.
[quote]
On 2009-11-11 12:14, Dave V wrote:
The twisted rope design of the School for Scoundrels chain helps camoflage the discrepancy in the layout. But people have gotten along for years with the ball chain. The octagon ball chain sounds like it should work fairly well at a lower price, but I personally prefer the heavier, more elegant SfS chain.
[/quote]
In between these is the chain that Marc DeSouza sells (or sold-I don't know if he still has this out as a package) with his "Chain Gang" routine. It's a gold-tone rope chain, and its somewhat longer than the S4S chain, to allow use of the "flower" layout Marc uses in one phase of the routine. Although the chain is not as nice as the S4S chain, it does cost considerably less.
Don
Had a good idea (I think) in the novelty store the other day--Mardi Gras beads. They're sold in long loops, and you can also get plastic money to gamble with, if the "strip" presentation doesn't appeal to you. The chain comes with an ambiance of adventure and fun, and seems to invite gambling.
I can't imagine why somebody would take the time to learn all the patterns, develop a routine, perfect the patter, and learn enough of the general history of the con to render an authentic tone and persona..... and then NOT use the School For Scoundrels chain.

Get the SFS chain, don't even think twice about it........it's light years ahead of any other chain you might get out of (or worse, [i]from[/i]) the back of the toilet :) .
I just went down to the hardware store and got a piece of brass chain. It was 15 feet long, and was only 7 bucks. I opened two of the links and made two chains out of it.
I managed to find one in a trek through the local antique mall, and it was not expensive. That would be my suggestion.

Bob Phillips
I am fond of a chain that is cheap and deceptive that can be found at Home Depot

robert
Daryl sells it on his website