(Close Window)
Topic: Do It Again!
I've been performing magic for about two years now. Usually, I'll carry around a deck of cards or a couple of coins in my pocket to perform with. Lately, I've noticed that after almost every single effect I perform, I'm always asked the same question, "Can you do it again". I usually avoid repeating an effect. What do ya'll do?
Matthew
Tell them you never repeat a trick because then there's no surprise.
Be prepared.
Do tricks that lend themselves to repetition, like mind reading with an 8/King stack - this is even better when it's repeated.
If you present an ACR routine, pause after the card appears on top of the deck the first time and let them say "do it again" (they don't' know you were going to anyway!).
Coins across can be presented the same way, if you pause after the first migration, get the idea?
You can also just say, "sure" and then do something else. I hate saying no to a spectator, but I also like to keep things on my terms and keep the surprises coming.
Well DDecae, there are certain effects you can repeat like 'coins across' and the Ambitous card routine. Unfortunately, many of the effects I perform do not have several phases like the two routines you mentioned. I thought it would be easy enough to just say 'sorry, but no' and not perform an effect again when someone asks me to. The only problem is a lot of people will dare me and say something like 'I bet you couldn't do it again' or they'll get annoyed.
Matthew
You tell them first time it's magic the second time it's educational.
Matthew I feel your pain. You've got a tough crowd there - I think kids are probably the worst at this, they are always saying "do it again". But I guess I hear that from kids because I'm just doing quick little impromptu tricks for kids.

I'd like to help you. Can you give an example of tricks you are doing that are always asked to be repeated?
The best way to deal with this is to say "well if you liked that, check this one..." and do another routine.
If you don't want to do anything else just say something like howie3 suggested, just don't be rude while you are saying "No!".
Reject the audience with a joke like "Oh! My doctor says I can only do this once per day. "
They know what you are trying to say and probably stop asking you to do it after a short laughter.
Something along JoeBlack`s line works fine and be ready to do another trick, usually with the same props, if possible. Maybe as I sometimes explain: "that one was one of my older tricks, here`s a newer one", indicating that you want to show them the latest magic. In other words just keep the magic moving along. To end sometimes I let them know that I`m about to pause or finish by saying "and now for my last trick".

John
So go ahead and do it again!
I hear this a lot, and usually reply to "Can you do that again!" with "Absolutely!" and then a grin.

or

"Even better, I can show you something more incredible!"

Somtimes though it is inevitable that you have to kind of ignore the loud mouth who keeps saying. "Hey do that trick with the glass again" with a sideways look telegraph that you really can't repeat a trick. His wife or someone will explain it to him.
Joe & Tom have given the best advice here. As Tom said, say something like "if you liked that you'll love this" & move on to another effect. Some effects are made to be repeated so maybe have a couple of those in your arsenal.
Another tip is to walk away while their jaws are still gaping in disbelief from what you've just done.
Do a different version of the same effect.
I have made it a personal policy to walk away if someone asks "Do it again!" because it makes certain I end on a high note. So... I thank them and put my hands in my pockets.
Well said ToasterofDoom.

Sometimes it bears repeating that as the magician, you are the one in control. It's a hard lesson I've had to learn. It's my own preference to do one very strong effect I know I've mastered and then stop.
I usually say: "Sorry, but I've practiced these all together.." then go into the next one.

Sir Richard.
I say sure ok and then do something different
I usually use a phrase along the lines of "the magicians code prevents me from performing the same effect twice in a row, because the first time is entertaining, the second is educating" This is always said with a smile, never rudely. 99% of the people I have come across let it go at that. As you know though, there are some who are just never satisfied.
"sure I *can* do it again, but will I? Probably not, I got some better stuff."
"Well I can do that, or I could say **** you"
(jokingly though)
I do a lot of "Perverse Magic" where things just happen by themselves or I don't understand why what happens, happens.

So with this type of presentation when asked to do it again, it's easy to say "Are you kidding? I don't understand how it happened the first time!"
I just tell them that I can't do it again, or just show them another trick
If I know I'm about to do something that I don't want to repeat I make it very clear that they need to pay attention because I will not repeat it, I also find that this helps them appreciate it more.
I have rarely been asked to do it again but if I were I would just move on to something else
"Twice a night? - I'm getting too old for that!" (Obviously not for kids!).

Mike
Ok, next Tuesday.
Decades ago I overheard a magician say, "Again? Ah, if only I could. But like yesterday's incredible sunset it will never be repeated. What I want is a new and better one, Let me demonstrate ..."
"That wasn't even possible the first time I did it."
Good answer, writeall! I say something like "I don't do the magic... the magic does me, and it never repeats!" I like yours better...

Jim
[quote]
On 2010-08-26 17:05, nlokers wrote:
If I know I'm about to do something...I make it very clear that they need to pay attention because I will not repeat it...
[/quote]

Bingo! That's exactly what I say. When someone asks me to "do a trick", I hesitate, and then say, "OK, but, first? Do not ask me how it's done. And do not ask me to do it again. OK?" I'm grinning the whole time, so no rudeness. When they agree to those terms, I'll do something.

Doug
How bout....I can't. The gentlemen that showed me this trick asked me to promise that I would never show anyone twice....
Look at what it is that gets the "do it again". Is there a particular effect that draws this response, if so, look at it and see how you can change it up presentation and/or method and then you can do it a second time. There are some things I do with coins that can be changed up and done four or five times in variation and add in some feints and you're good. I still am careful in not pushing it. The best way is to just manage the audience.
I usually say "Ok", then just do something completely different. 9 times out of 10, they won't even notice you didn't repeat their trick.
David Stone had a great answer to this (yes Im big fan of him) he says: Magic trick is like a joke - it works only ones.
When they say do it again ,you say sure "glad you like my magic" and you just perform other effects .... and if they say, no, that one just now... you say " it is free for the first time, and you need to pay for the second time...

As long they pay you price of the trick, of cos you don't reject them. Save up the money buy a more expensive trick.
I seldom have spectators asking me to repeat an effect because nearly all of the effects I perform have a phase that progressively repeats at least three times. Examples include the chop cup, color changing knives, color changing silks, color vision, copper silver brass, multiplying balls, rubber bands, sponge balls, etc. I suggest seeking and performing material with multiple phases and climaxes. You can always jazz it up and change methods on them too. I enjoy using real world spectators to test everything that I have practiced relentlessly. Its like target practice to me :lol: As a magical entertainer you have to be flexible enough to accomodate your clients in my professional opinion. I once spent an hour at a party performing nothing but the chop cup and color vision for different groups at my client's request which made them very happy and satisfied customers :lol:
Do it again?
leads me to think of impromptu magic ...

You will not do better than visit Scam School on Revision3.
http://revision3.com/scamschool/episodes

Brian Brushwood is a creative thinker and genuius ... bringing this site together ... and sharing his findings ...

My favourite being the Scissors, Paper, Stone ...
absolutely fantastic.

Wulfiesmith
"I am like any guy... I need at least 5 minuets to reload..."
I got asked this today - my answer (found somewhere in the Café)

"The magic was free, lessons are $125.00 an hour."

Then I smiled and did something else.
I usually say " I wish I could, but then I wouldn't be able to show you this...", and go into something different.
Practice, practice, practice until you can or perform it again and step it up a notch by changing methods on them.