(Close Window)
Topic: There are some people with scary intentions out there...
I was looking thru another magic forum and came across this thread.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?t=27362

I thought the story was bad enough, but then with all the people saying that they agreed with what he did I got really scared.
How terrible...
Unbelievable! That guy is the one who should feel like a brat.
I felt like joining that discussion board just so I could make fun of his grammar and spelling. I wonder how he would feel if HE were made to feel dumb.

It's a doggone good thing that I wasn't the parent (of course, I would never have allowed my child to act like that one either). If a magician would have been that rude to my kid, I guarantee he wouldn't be working at that restaurant again... unless it was washing dishes.
That thread is sadder than Old Yeller.
Wow. Ignoring all the confrontation and poor audience skills, I'm suprised the guy keeps his job there. It sounds like every 3 minutes he dashes to the kitchen to reset for his next trick.:rolleyes:
It makes magic look petty.
Whoa!! That was truly unbelievable!! I cant believe that either adult (the magician or the parent) would act they way they did!!

I am not going to say anymore because my temperature is rising already....
[quote]
On 2003-06-15 09:58, Jon Gallagher wrote:
I felt like joining that discussion board just so I could make fun of his grammar and spelling. I wonder how he would feel if HE were made to feel dumb.
/quote]

I am not sure a kid that arrogant can be made to feel dumb. I have had run-ins with know it all kids like that, but to go back and add more fuel to the fire like he did? At least the kid's parent was understanding!!

Shawn
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
That made me glad I'm a part of this forum and thankful for the respect that is emphasized here.
Sacriest part was all the people agreeing with him that what he did was right.

And who the heck breaks a set to go into the kitchen for his next trick while working a table?!

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One-upmanship is a losing proposition in a restaurant (or any performing) situation in my professional opinion.

Nuff Said.

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
lithis,

I went to the PenguinMagic site to post a reply, but the topic was already locked. I found your reply to be excellent. I only wish they had allowed more replies agreeing with you.

I admire your rebuke because you dealt with facts, not name calling. If you call someone a jerk, then they might reject all your arguments. The way you worded your post might actually make this guy realize just how poorly he behaved. We can only hope.
I do magic for a couple of reasons. 1, it's a fun hobby and a challenge to practice new sleights/tricks. 2, it's a lot of fun to see people's reaction and it feels good to entertain people. Take away #2 and it's not worth it to me. I'm not sure I would have known how to handle the situation correctly, so I would have probably just moved on to a different area in the restaurant, but I certainly wouldn't have taunted her. That's too bad.
Gee, the stuff in that thread is exactly what gives magic a bad name.
That was truly awful. I especially cringed at one response that said "Yes it is fun and that's what makes me really like magic....When im doing magic for people as entertainment its great, but when i play for the win it drives me nuts wilh the glory of being the one that wins."

Too bad the topic is locked.
Nine months, all gimmicks and an ego...
No wonder most people dislike 'magicians'.
...and he's being PAID to do this!!!

Dennis
:bluebikes:
This fellow's signature is "Any day above ground is a good day." With his performance style and approach to spectators, particularly difficult children, he may not see another day when he meats his parental match.
If that guy is where he says he is from, I'm glad he's not in North Alabama mucking up the area I am working. :huh:
In my opinion the kid was not only illiterate, but an ****py amateur magician with no people skills. He made a fool of himself just by his post alone. Can you imagine how BAD he would look in real life?
THi best "tip" he can ever get is. Please quit Magic for the sake of the art and go back to school and learn sum proper gramer.
At the very least, we project the degree of respect we hope to receive.

Let's hope the karma comes back to kick him!

Magic has enough bad PR to do without this type of performer...
Oh my...... :sun:
What can one say about a thing like that? Its sad and its a reminder that each of us is an ambassador for our beloved craft. May we all have the good sense, courtesy, foresight and grace to make friends and fans for magic and not enemies.
:thumbsdown:
I think it just comes down to why we want to be magicians. I like the challenge of getting a difficult card sleight working, but that's not the fun bit. The fun bit is when you use it, watch the look of amazement in your audiences' eyes and then their smile. You can't buy that sort of enjoyment. I like leaving them dumbfounded, but only if I also leave them happy.

David.
Is this what comes of the younger generation just learning tricks, but never getting to the essence of what real magic is all about? Is this the kind of generation that will carry the wand into the next era of magic?

Uh, Houston we have a problem.

Fellas, we're in trouble...