(Close Window)
Topic: Andrew Mayne In Half
Hello, I just have check news at the hocus-pocus website, and there is a new amazing illusion from Andrew Mayne- In Half
demo looks amazing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0njpDi18RI
anybody already have it??? any reviews??
Simon
Uh...

Perhaps its just me but it seems quite transparent in method...

I would not be putting this in my show personally.

J
Great for sideshow or horror/haunted house walk-thru

Method is fairly apparent, but visually looks great.
Imagine combining one of Andrew's subtleties to the modern art...
Simon, don't you just love reviews from people who don't have the item?

I don't have it but like the fact that it does not look like a magic prop.
It is something that would fit my show.

Awaiting a real review.

Kent
I don't see a review here?????? Only first impressions just like yours.

Awaiting a real reply :P
[quote]
On 2009-11-16 12:56, baal wrote:
Hello, I just have check news at the hocus-pocus website, and there is a new amazing illusion from Andrew Mayne- In Half
demo looks amazing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0njpDi18RI
anybody already have it??? any reviews??
Simon
[/quote]

He requested a review... that's all I'm saying.
ALL I CAN SAY IS WOW

Think of it in a playlet type scene.

What a great idea. Bear in mind, Harbin's first Zig Zag was made from cardboard as a prototype mock-up.
Baal, I will give you a review soon. Andrew Mayne is a really great guy though! I am putting on a holiday party for the base I'm currently stationed at here in Iraq. There's going to be close to 1000 other soldiers attending so we tried to see how much it would cost to fly some of my illusions out here. The Origami alone was quoted at 2 grand!!! Maybe I'm doing it wrong. Anyhow, I had settled on just doing my comedy parlor act. Then I decided I'd order in Andrew Mayne's Voodoo box and see if I could work it into the show. For only 14 bucks, why not?? When I ordered it I told him what I was doing with it and he said that he was sending me a copy of his "IN HALF" routine along with it! Like I said...WHAT A GREAT GUY!! After I get it set up I will let you know what I think and I'll give you an honest review. I'm pretty excited about it though.
The cutshots throughout the demo don't give me a lot of confidence in this, or its ability to be done fluently live. Why not just post one shot of the full performance?
Here's a [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MYrEvuxS5M&feature=related]link[/url] to a more continuous presentation that I found rather amusing!
Message: Posted by: The Mirror Images (Nov 20, 2009 12:42AM)
With proper outfit to look like a carny that video would be perfect. that was a sweet presentation though.

Best,
I think I figured it out and I like it even more.
[quote]
On 2009-11-20 02:29, Pete Biro wrote:
I think I figured it out and I like it even more.
[/quote]

It is pretty good.
I got the dvd in the mail yesterday, the method is clever, and easy. At the beginning of the dvd they show a straight through performance, it is very smooth and looks like it will play well in a real act. I have used Andrew Mayne's bisection and gut buster so I expected nothing but the best with this, and I got that. The DVD is very good about teaching every detail about building it and performing it, and even goes into several ways it could go wrong and ways to avoid those. But really the only way it could go wrong would just be the performer having no showmanship. This isn't much of a review, but like I said I just got it yesterday and will be trying to build it sometime next week.
This effect is fun, and rather clever. I like to use it in a kids setting, with a kid style fort look. You know the kinds of forts you used to build out of boxes when you were a kid. Well I incorporate that into the presentation. It gives an excuse for having cardboard boxes, and looks cool.
Magically,
Roman
Good ideas.Good for the young to be local neighborhood magician. Victory carton?
why not.
I can give a sleight reveiew.

We were asked to perform oddities at a famous concert hall during halloween last year. Before the costume contest, we performed this illusion up on the stage. It went over very well. I think there is one catch to keep in mind. I would NEVER anounce what you are about to do. I think its much better to just pull the boxes on stage and do the illusion without notifying the audience of what they are about to see. This catches them off guard and secures the secret if done correctly.

It played very well, and we had gasps when the upper body was lifted upwards. Make it happen smooth and fast and the audience wont be able to catch up fast enough to figure it out. Give them to much time and it becomes obvious in my opinion.

I give this a 8 out of 10 when it comes to simple, cheap, and effective illusions! Mayne is a genius when it comes to shock magic. This is really a neat idea and worth every penny if done right!
I ordered this a while back. I like it a lot, but am a big guy, and don't think it would be nearly as deceptive with someone my size.

So if you're small to medium, I'd say this would look great.
[quote]
On 2010-10-13 12:27, magicelam wrote:
I ordered this a while back. I like it a lot, but am a big guy, and don't think it would be nearly as deceptive with someone my size.

So if you're small to medium, I'd say this would look great.
[/quote]

Agreed, Mayne even apologizes for this in the video. He says it may be better to use an assistant for some magicians.
This is a really cool and well thought out effect as far as I'm concerned though. Personally, the assistant idea isn't a bad one, and I may use one myself if I perform this. I think the "half-man" illusion is clever.
Here is a full performance of the effect as it was presented on Greece's got talent.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_lG66NAFpg
I actually have designed a routine using two of these. If anyone is interested in hearing, please shoot me a message here and maybe try it out.

VJ
[quote]
On 2011-04-11 05:27, Harry Smatic wrote:
Here is a full performance of the effect as it was presented on Greece's got talent.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_lG66NAFpg
[/quote]

I dismissed this DVD when it first came out but that was cool to see it in something other than a demo. I agree with many of the others in this thread; it has some real potential.
Love it, conceptually and in practice. The lift is simply taking the concept higher, so cool. The look on the lady judge's face when he lifted himself was awesome! Congrats to Andrew on such a practical, brilliant piece. A triumph in thinking and creativity. Bravo!

Jimmy Fingers
Wow I loved the video! Seeing all the tips put to use was really smooth. Looks great!
He performed it very well.I would say that this is the best in half illusion you can have with a small cost.
of course the ultimate one remains the laser illusion....
I just assembled mine and can't wait to use it! If I can make one, it has to be easy. haha
Couldn't be better. If I was still working would have one.
I was tempted to take this to my kids show today, but decided against it (probably smartly). All it would take is one of those 70 curious kids to run onstage (no platform outside) to blow it. No matter how good at controlling your audience you are, it all goes out the window when it's a torso talking! haha.
Not to say in the right situation this wouldn't work for kids, because it totally will. I'll just wait until a stage show, or until I hire bouncers on either side of my illusion (jk).
Just got a picture with this thing! I love how it looks. Thanks Andrew!

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd220/KindaSlowish/Hampton%20Roads%20Magician/inhalf2.jpg
[quote]
On 2011-04-18 01:05, TrickyEric wrote:
Just got a picture with this thing! I love how it looks. Thanks Andrew!

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd220/KindaSlowish/Hampton%20Roads%20Magician/inhalf2.jpg
[/quote]

Looks good!
Andrew's stuff is always very clever and I've purchased several books just to see the thinking. This particular effect must fool some people based on the judges reaction in the show but I think you have to get over it pretty quickly and give them something else to think about or the method might become obvious with anymore than a casual glance.

It begins with how he actually gets "inside" the boxes. He goes around the back, the doors open and he's somehow "inside" the cardboard boxes which appear to be solid except for the cut out door on the front. The sliding action requires the box to be moved with virtually no weight on it. The audience might not notice this on the conscious level but again sets the subliminal unrest in motion. The "lift up" move is very cool, but are we to believe that the front piece of cardboard is enough to hold up at least 1/2 the weight of a grown person without bending or collapsing?

There are several other thorns like this that can be solved but ultimately, isn't this just a work around of Modern Art that can be built out of cardboard? Is it really better or is it just cheaper? It has the feel of a first pass at a Modern Art method before Jim worked out the best methodology and subtleties that made it better. Keep in my mind that I really think this is a very clever method but it needs some more solution solving to make it into a better effect that isn't as obvious. I think it's a great point of departure to begin to develop an even better effect and method from.
Andrew Mayne is brilliant. I am planning to use several of his effects in my next stage show. I don't have "In half" yet I am using Bi-Section, though). Is there any reason this can't be built out of a sturdier material?
Since it's been rekindled I'll chime in since I built this... This is actually a pretty convincing illusion performed right. PM me if you want to know how to make this to last a lifetime, pack flat, and only weight a couple lbs.

It's perfect for kid performers and you can use smaller boxes. I built this with one of my students. Sure, the method may be apparent to magicians but I've seen it stun lay people. I won't blow the method but here are some notes.

I recommend an assistant to move the top box to make it even more believable.
You can add a "cardboard" blade to cut yourself in half and it plays bog.
You can put an assistant in it but again, costuming becomes a "challenge."
You must have the right costume. If you wear suits, it'll take some modifications.
You need to add a "door" to the rear. PM me if you have this illusion and want to know what I'm talking about.
Use the tape Andrew recommends, don't use ANYTHING else, seriously. Unless you build it my way but you need to PM me for that.
I really like the way this looks but as has been stated... I am not a little guy. I would also only do it as a clown which even adds more into the mix. Been doing this long enough that I "think" I know the majority of the hows but am willing to pay (as is proper) for the finishing touches. Simply put... 6' 250... clown gear... will it work?
[quote]On Oct 13, 2010, magicelam wrote:

So if you're small to medium, I'd say this would look great. [/quote]

Any suggestions for something similar if you are 16 stone and 6 foot 1?