(Close Window)
Topic: Is it OK to perform Growing/shrinking head illusion in hospitals
I perform in children's hospitals where kids are obviously sick, going through various medical procedures, etc. The show is in a play center and not in their rooms so they are reasonably well enough to be able to come down to this center. I have the growing/shrinking head illusion but am a little hesitant to perform it in this venue. Any thoughts on this? Thanks.
I would think it would be fine. It's a lot of fun especially when the audience looks at each other. When in doubt check with the medical staff and explain what the illusion does....Just my 3 cents!
Dave
I would explain its an optical illusion and stress how FUNNY and COMICAL it will look.. this sets the minds to laugh vs. freak out and be scared in some cases.
It is important to present age appropriate magic.Most pediatric units will have a fairly wide range of patients from toddlers to age 18.I would not present the same magic to a 4 year old that I would present to a 7 year old.Often times a family member is present and you can ask them if in doubt.
Most kids can't concentrate well enough to make this trick work. I have stopped using it for children's shows. I only do it for adult shows and mixed audiences. If you do it, be prepared for a long silence after the spiral stops.

Jim
Krowboom ...
mmm ... quit whilst you're a head.

sorry, just had to get that in.
If it is the same illusion I am thinking of, using the rotating disc ... just use the bunny ....

If this does not make sense, PM me.

Wulfie
Use it.
Anything that can make a sick kid smile is good.
He won't smile. He'll just ask you why the disc stopped,

Jim
I wonder why it doesn't work for you, Jim. I've seen a video of Brian Lehr performing this and no matter how hyper and unconcentrated the kids are, they notice.

Of course, an optical illusion can wreak havoc on your eyes and brain. I'd ask the opinion of the medical staff before performing this.
It does work - it works really well. Especially in large mixed groups, like a fair or festival. But for a small group of YOUNG kids, I've had very little luck.

Jim
PS: You the guy(s) at Kidabra Pigeon Forge last year?

Jim