(Close Window)
Topic: Revolutionary coin magic of Jay Sankey - WOW
I just finished watching this, I am fairly new to coin magic. WOW :wow: :wow: :wow: . He is brilliant. His flying shuttle pass is so good. I am going to practice every thing on his video. He is crazy!
Yes, he is nuts. That video is very cool. Actually, thanks for reminding me, I'm going to watch it again to try to pick up something new. :dance:
I like his POPout & Hobbit move, his HPC - CPH move and his crazy card triangle!.

Wacky doesn't describe Jay well enough!
Yes, this is a very nice tape. I got it a couple of weeks ago myself. I had his first two tapes years ago and have been using a version of the flying shuttle (also developed by David Harkey and others I am sure) consistently since.

I recommend combining the card box pop-out with slick splits as he had it originally routined on the original tape (One coin in the box - slick split to four, all four back in the box and pop them out one at a time - very nice sequence)

On a seperate thread there is mention that he will be releasing this tape on DVD with some additions - looking forward to that!

His tenkai pinch work is very nice as well (Mr. Clean Coins Across is a favorite on this forum.)

Sankey is definitely one of my favorites - his thinking is always fresh and his magic always very visual. Sometime I find his execution a bit sloppy, and he could routine more thouroughly to mask moves and palms and such (a la Roth) but he is an amazing and zany creator.
This tape is SO COOL..

I just LOVE his presentation style..he is CRAZY FUNNY in my opinion!

VERY good material on here also. And yes Mr. Clean coins across ROCKS! :dance:
I bought this tape several weeks ago along with Real Magic by Sankey and the Very Best of Sankey Vols 1-3.
The coin stuff on Revolutionary Coin Magic is superb. His over the top wacky presentation is at times hilarious on this video. Oh, it's filled with excellent routines too.
Are there any gaffs needed for the Mr. Clean Coins across?
No Gaffs are needed....
That's why its so clean, its MR. Clean.
Hmm, I know lots of things on this video.
Unfortunatly I don't have the video. I've been trying to get it, but it seems I can only find it in NTSC and here in Belgium most TVs and VCRs play PAL only
boeheoeoeoe :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:
Jay Sankey is really a great performer and great thinker. This video is really low priced considering the amount of good stuff and knowledge it contains.
Hey Guys,
I must agree with the consensus on this tape but I have a question. I have watched this video many many times and I haven't seen Jay mention or teach the Spiderman Vanish. It is listed on the back of the box as a sleight that he teaches, am I missing something?

Thanks for any replies.
The TV Coin Bend is so simple but looks like real magic. Do it with a silver dollar size coin and you'll see astonishment in their eyes as you drop that bent coin in their hand. It's one of the best gems on the video.
Message: Posted by: Graymatter_Fireworks (Jul 19, 2003 12:14AM)
I'm interested in this DVD simply because of the great reviews I've seen about it. But I have to ask about the jokes Jay strikes up in this DVD. I've heard he pokes fun at Christianity quite a bit in this DVD. Is this true?
Jay is comedian in his other life. He calls one of his vanishes, "The Messiah vanish". If this offends you, don't watch the tape. Jay's coin work, with help from David Stone, helped me to create a coins across that has magicians looking for multiple shells. I finally have a coin routine that gets great reactions.
Even if Sankey didn't perform any good tricks, I would still watch him just because of his wacky personality.
Isn't Mr. Clean coins across just like Greg Wilson's coins across on his On the Spot videos?
[quote]
On 2003-07-22 11:23, zombieboy wrote:
Isn't Mr. Clean coins across just like Greg Wilson's coins across on his On the Spot videos?
[/quote]

Yes it is, it's exactly like Gregory Wilson's version of coins accross in On the Spot series.
No, it's not. It's similar but different and a lot cleaner looking, with an alternative handling and similar sleights.
Does Sankey perform the effects for an audience then explain them or is it one of his "one man and a camera" videos?

I'm more of a card man but would like to learn some coin stuff. Would this be suitable for me or should I go for something more basic? (I have Bobo's.)

I think Sankey is great!

Thanks
Adam
I heard that Sankey is going to release a DVD of RCM with nine never-before-seen footage!!! Anyone know anything about this???
[quote]
On 2003-10-15 19:45, Mistro wrote:
I heard that Sankey is going to release a DVD of RCM with nine never-before-seen footage!!! Anyone know anything about this???
[/quote]
The new DVD will have 40 extra minutes that are not on the video.
:spinningcoin:
I emailed Jay Sankey a few months ago to ask him if I should buy RCM on VHS or wait until it comes out on DVD, and he said it would be available on DVD by the end of the year.
I just received an email from Jay saying that the DVD will be out in two weeks! Sold only through Penguin Magic...

Can't wait!!
Is [i]Revolutionary Coin Magic[/i] for beginners or intermediates? I own the [i]Easy to Master Coin Magic[/i] by Ammar.
Definitely intermediate...Get Bobo's book and you should be good for this (or Ammar's introduction DVD).

:bg:
It's on sale today in DVD via Penguin, with the first 100 copies signed by Jay!

Cliff
[quote]
On 2003-07-19 01:14, Graymatter_Fireworks wrote:
I'm interested in this DVD simply because of the great reviews I've seen about it. But I have to ask about the jokes Jay strikes up in this DVD. I've heard he pokes fun at Christianity quite a bit in this DVD. Is this true?
[/quote]
Yes, that's the downside to jay. He uses some bad language in the video too. I probably won't buy any more of his stuff, it's too bad.
The guy is a creative genius but he is soooo ANNOYING.
Jay Sankey's [i]Revolutionary Coin Magic[/i] is now available on DVD with over 30 minutes of bonus material.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=14

:spinningcoin:
[quote]
On 2003-11-04 07:15, Cliff G wrote:
It's on Sale today in DVD via Penguin - with the first 100 copies signed by Jay!

Cliff
[/quote]
Thanks Cliff, I ordered mine this morning! :dance:
I also ordered mine this morning! I can't wait for a nice signed DVD from good old Jay!
Wow, that was fast service! I ordered it two days ago and it came today!

Woo-hoo!!
[quote]
On 2003-11-06 21:27, Magix wrote:
Wow, that was fast service! I ordered it two days ago and it came today!

Woo-hoo!!
[/quote]
That's one of the reasons I buy from Penguinmagic.
And that was the FREE shipping!

I'm glad I didn't pay extra for faster shipping.
How is the 30 new minutes of material? I have the video but don't want to spend $40 if the new material isn't worth it.

Thanks!!
Chris,

I just watched the video yesterday, and I went through it pretty quickly, but I thought the bonus material was pretty good.

It was about the same as the other stuff in terms of style and technique. It had some nice routine ideas.

Of course, while I liked it, it may not be worth it for you if you are more experienced with coins than I. RCM is only my second coin video. (I have Ammar's Complete Intro and I also have Bobo's, if that helps.)

I think it would be worth getting the DVD just for the ease of going back and referring to the video from time to time. And you could always trade or sell the VHS.

Just my 2 cents.
Thanks Magix. I ordered the DVD and am taking your suggestion and selling the video. Thanks for the great input!!!!!
Is there a lot of overlap between The Very Best of Jay Sankey DVD's and this one? I recognize Mr. Clean Coins across, flying shuttle, and Messiah vanish. Would the other stuff be worth the money?
I just got my Signed copy yesterday and spent the rest of the day working on the material... This DVD is AWESOME... and Sankey is very entertaining. :smiles:
[quote]
On 2003-11-09 22:25, Maestro wrote:
Is there a lot of overlap between The Very Best of Jay Sankey DVD's and this one? I recognize Mr. Clean Coins across, flying shuttle, and Messiah vanish. Would the other stuff be worth the money?
[/quote]

I can't tell you anything about overlap because I don't own any other Sankey videos. But, there is a lot of good stuff on this one. It will keep me busy for a while.
Just received the DVD in the mail yesterday...

Fantastic stuff! I've been doing coin work for quite some time, but I was genuinely surprised at the moves and subtleties that I didn't know on this DVD.

I recommend this highly. It's just about literally a home movie with Jay Sankey. He teaches a variety of sleights and demonstrates some GREAT uses for each. He credits sources during each explanation...and while I found his sense of humor a little much, I did laugh out loud at least 3 times during the first viewing.
I too have Penguin's Sankey-Signed DVD, and did some viewing last night. It's well worth the money.

Yes, he can be over the top, and sometimes assumes a character voice completely through a move demo.

And some of the jokes are terrible! I love it!

I can certainly see how some could find his stuff annoying, although I don't.

His moves are clean and effective, and he also happens to be a darned good teacher! His "45" DVD, on which not a word is spoken, proves that he simply gets it. All the explaining is done with his hands and body, and still manages to convey the skills exteremely effectively.

I very much appreciate his fresh approach to magic, and have become a fan.
Just received it today. Watched for the first 15 minutes. Wow!!!!

If you like to play with coins do yourself a favour...get it. If you decide not to get it then I will be more than happy because I can keep all these coin tricks to myself. :)
I came home last night from a REALLY rough work day, and just watched his intro.

You've just GOT to laugh! :hysteric:
Mine is finally on its way! Will post a quick review when I recieve it!
I'm not really a fan of Jay Sankey, and actually I don't like a lot of his tricks, but there's something for everyone in this DVD, and you're bound to find a good amount you'd like :) One of my best purchases
I finally received my copy of Revolutionary Coin Magic dvd a few days ago and I must say it's very, very good!!!
I don't really do a lot of coin magic but I can tell you this, I'll be using a lot of the coin material in this dvd.
Note: You can see Jay Sankey matured a little bit since he first filmed this dvd. He was a little "off the wall" in his original performance, which kinda got on my nerves a little bit, but when I got to the bonus material section, his style and humour changed and he didn't make any bad religious jokes. I admire Jay for that and I truely think he is and forever will be a Genius!!
Overall mark for the DVD= B+. :idea: :dance:
Where can I buy the video not DVD? I actually ordered this through Denny's, but put wrong crefit card info on the order. Now it dosen`t seem to be available there anymore?
Hank Lee's Magic Factory has it.
I have allways been more into cards, this DVD has got me into coins. I love the effects where coins are combined with cards. The pop up triangle and coin with splitpin effects are great.

Jonathan
Yes...very funny, with the funny voices and I am suprised that he taught it so well