(Close Window)
Topic: Richard Osterlind's top 5 effects
What's your top 5 effects you perform from Richard Osterlind?

Here's my top 5 in no particular order

1. Design Dupplication
2. Bank Night
3. Pegasus Page
4. Clip Line Deluxe
5. Marked Coin in Bottle
My top five:

1. Watch Routine
2. BCS (I know it's not technically an effect; so I'd go with Card Calling specifically)
3. Magazine Test
4. Thoughtscan
5. ODDS
There are only 2 effects I can think of that Richard owns or teamed up to own that I enjoyed:

1. Viewed ESP Prediction
2. Predict-Tac-Toe.

I am sure there are others that are great but I can't think of the names.

He seems to like Theo Annemann, Syd Bergson, Al Koran, Larry Becker, Corinda and many other classic magicians. I enjoy his twist on their effects.

I like his performance of a Koran effect:

3. Magic Medallion

These classics would have to be on my Top 5 list too:

4. Slate Writing
5. Spoon Bending

(That was fun...I had forgotten how great Osterlind is and how much his magic has impacted my magic. Thanks for starting this thread Danik1.)
There is a lot of his stuff that I love, but I don't actually do.
Some that I do are:

1) spoon bending. Osterlind's routine is the best!
2)predict-tac-toe. So much fun and really blows people away.
3)Perfect center tear. Well, it is called the PERFECT tear right?
4)Acidus Novus. Osterlind's version as taught in his watch routine. I don't do the watch routine though

I haven't done it yet, but I plan on making a thoughtscan board to use.
That "Watch Routine" is pretty hard to top.

With the right presentation, it's pretty much unbeatable.

Isn't it?

D
Yes, the watchroutine is hard to beat,
so is PCT and BCS!
kiki
[quote]
On 2009-12-12 04:52, KiKi wrote:
Yes, the watchroutine is hard to beat,
so is PCT and BCS!
kiki
[/quote]

Psychic Control and MBCS (fries my brain performing it :P).
I agree with KiKi and magicFreak2 PCT and BCS have changed the way I look and do mentalism. Paul
I would LOVE to learn his coin bend.
Acidus.
His Q&A gets a great reaction.
...............?
...............?

-Scott M
Watch routine.
ODDS.
Spoon bending routine.
Esteno ESP.
maybe I not original of osterlind but rocks solid ghost!!
1. Chicken Lisa
2. Italian/Scandinavian sausage something (unnamed)
3. The Bent Penny (no cover, short sleeves, I have only two words for it: IMpossible)
4. PCT (Not an effect, but a tool. The effect is "thought reading.")
5. Artificial Intelligence

*jeep!
--Grandpa
[quote]
On 2009-12-12 14:07, mormonyoyoman wrote:
1. Chicken Lisa
3. The Bent Penny (no cover, short sleeves, I have only two words for it: IMpossible)

*jeep!
--Grandpa
[/quote]

What is his Artificial Intelligence effect? I've never seen it.
Pick up *Mystique* -- the book is worth it for "A.I." alone, but there is SO much more!

*jeep!
--Grandpa
[quote]
On 2009-12-12 14:45, mormonyoyoman wrote:
Pick up *Mystique* -- the book is worth it for "A.I." alone, but there is SO much more!

*jeep!
--Grandpa
[/quote] I just ordered it from penguinmagic at only 33.75$ !!!
Get it from here and get it autographed (with request). If you ask nicely, you might get one of his recipes also.

http://osterlindstore.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21/products_id/81

*jeep!
--Gourmet Grandpa
[quote]
On 2009-12-12 14:45, mormonyoyoman wrote:

*jeep!
--Grandpa
[/quote]

I can't find a description of the effect anywhere. I searched the Café, but never actually found it mentioning what it was. Would you be so kind as to indulge me the description?
I'll pull my description from another forum (to which Sven replied that it scares the sheeps' heads out of people, especially when you've picked up thoughts one split instant before they think them.

"As to what 'Artificial Intelligence' is --- imagine that you can choose 2, 3, or more (in theory; it would get tedious) volunteers and pick their thought at the very moment they think of it - or perhaps an instant beforehand. To top it off, you'll be able, at the end (should you choose) to determine what a person sees before they see it.

"All with only index cards and a pen or pencil. You can add a deck of playing cards if you want to. The more I use this, the more variations I find possible. It's so simple, that you'll be fooled into thinking it wouldn't affect anyone. You would be wrong to think that.

"Here's the kicker: Every person to whom I've - er, subjected to this, relates it as a PERSONAL experience when they talk about it. You'll get what I mean when you try it."

Besides this (which is worth the price of admission) there is the unbelievable "First Dog" (You'll swear it won't work; it always does.), a Bank Night in which you may shred your paycheck, the entire book *the Business of Magic*, a "Puff Pasteboard" routine which is ideal for nonsmokers, some incredible chapters on how to make your magic and mentalism very - VERY - real, a watch duplication (or a pen duplication, or a bottle of Listerine duplication, or...), "Miracle Thought Projection" (How I WISH Richard hadn't revealed this!!!), a bunch of other stuff -- including "Two-Faced Epic" and (if you get it from Richard) some additional routines that aren't in the book.

Do you feel indulged yet? <g>

*jeep!
--Grandpa
[quote]
On 2009-12-12 16:01, mormonyoyoman wrote:
I'll pull my description from another forum (to which Sven replied that it scares the sheeps' heads out of people, especially when you've picked up thoughts one split instant before they think them.

"As to what 'Artificial Intelligence' is --- imagine that you can choose 2, 3, or more (in theory; it would get tedious) volunteers and pick their thought at the very moment they think of it - or perhaps an instant beforehand. To top it off, you'll be able, at the end (should you choose) to determine what a person sees before they see it.

"All with only index cards and a pen or pencil. You can add a deck of playing cards if you want to. The more I use this, the more variations I find possible. It's so simple, that you'll be fooled into thinking it wouldn't affect anyone. You would be wrong to think that.

"Here's the kicker: Every person to whom I've - er, subjected to this, relates it as a PERSONAL experience when they talk about it. You'll get what I mean when you try it."

Besides this (which is worth the price of admission) there is the unbelievable "First Dog" (You'll swear it won't work; it always does.), a Bank Night in which you may shred your paycheck, the entire book *the Business of Magic*, a "Puff Pasteboard" routine which is ideal for nonsmokers, some incredible chapters on how to make your magic and mentalism very - VERY - real, a watch duplication (or a pen duplication, or a bottle of Listerine duplication, or...), "Miracle Thought Projection" (How I WISH Richard hadn't revealed this!!!), a bunch of other stuff -- including "Two-Faced Epic" and (if you get it from Richard) some additional routines that aren't in the book.

Do you feel indulged yet? <g>

*jeep!
--Grandpa
[/quote]

Very indulged. Thank you. :)

Might I ask, is it one of those sort of effects where the audience gets a much better entertainment for their money than the participant (if you know what I mean by that)?
There is always an Osterlind effect in my act and in my brain ready to do at a moments notice. Here's my list:

1. ThoughtScan - Simply one of the best approaches to mind reading. Master this and build a reputation!

2. Perfected Center Tear - The original "rip & read" tear. If it wasn't for PCT, it's doubtful the others would have appeared on the market. Once you know this, you're always prepared to read minds.

3. Stainless Steel Blindfold - How wrong I was about this when I first got it. I didn't know how to present it, and didn't care for it at first. However after some time, put more work into it, listed to & read what Richard's thoughts were on it and this is now the finale of my show. I will never go back to a sleep mask!

4. Transparent Forces - This is such a great utility device. The possibilities are endless. I use this prop in almost every show. Transparent Forces has saved the day for me many times!

5. Watch Routine - This is the only effect on the list I've never performed. I almost didn't watch the explanation on the DVD the first time I saw it because I didn't want to spoil the mystery. Completely fried me.
[quote]
On 2009-12-12 14:07, mormonyoyoman wrote:
1. Chicken Lisa

*jeep!
--Grandpa
[/quote]
Seconed, in no particular order, except for The Italian/Scandinavian Sausages Effect (TI/SSE), which I not am familiar with.
- or did Richard further develope Bank Night, changing the four lottery coupons for a link of sausages???

I could add quite a few other effects to the list.

Sven
Well, sure -- Russian Roulette with sheeps' heads.

*jeep!
--Grandpa (P.S.: the Scandinavian/Italian sausage something started out as one of your recipes and got carried away).

[quote]
On 2009-12-12 16:20, magicFreak2 wrote:

Very indulged. Thank you. :)

Might I ask, is it one of those sort of effects where the audience gets a much better entertainment for their money than the participant (if you know what I mean by that)?
[/quote]
If I'm guessing what you mean correctly, yes. The same is true of all Osterlind, Annemann, and Meyer effects. The play's the thing, and it's what the audience experiences which is importantest.

*jeep!
--Grandpa
Without a doubt, Miracle Thought Projection, First Dog, and Coincidence. I know that's only three, but yes...
More comments here:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=211728&forum=15

Fortunately for us, for many years Mr. O. has been a prolific source of some very practical and carefully crafted original material - often supplemented by insightful comments.
1. Perfected CT
2. Radar Deck
3. ODDS
4. BCS
5. Watch Routine

The PCT is definitely a tool for a lifetime!
For me it's disk 1 ... nuff said! :)

Col.
What are your favorite 1 on 1 effects? I would like some for walk around
You've got at least a dozen right above you mate.
1. Spoon bend
2. ODDS & the ESP stack (finally use ESP cards how they are supposed to be use)
3. Thoughtscan
4. Steno ESP
5. SOS psychometry
Has Richard released his coin bend? I saw him do it live and really have no idea.

I use his thoughtscan routine at just about every show and it is amazing, as well as the magazine test. Regarding the magazine test, I almost always get the same reaction as he does on the DVD when I reveal the prediction to the participant, and then turn it around for the audience.
Watch Routine
Card Calling (BCS)
Bank Night
Calculator add a number(ungimmicked)
ESP Stack
In no specific order:
* Magazine Test
* Steno ESP
* Radar Deck
* Challenge Mind Reading (BCS)
* Clip Line Deluxe

:D
It's too hard to name only five oustanding effects from someone so prolific. Here are five current favorites of Osterlind effects:

*Watch Routine
*Final Answer Q&A
*"Cutlery Spray" Bend
*Miracle Thought Projection
*Being a cool, interesting, likeable guy (speaking of Richard O.)
That´s difficult.. but lets see.. from the top of my head..

- Bank Night
- Card Calling
- Radar Deck
- Watch Routine
- Swami Opener
Swami opener
ODDS
T&R news paper
bcs
PCT
[quote]
On 2011-03-05 19:46, Badger wrote:
Swami opener

[/quote]

really?

Did you read Corinda ?
Coin Bend that is so much like mine.

Wish I could ad more but I never looked at his stuff and only know of the bend because of some recent footage posted.

One big differance is that mine is in the persons hand and you see it bending even in their flat out palm.

But I am sure the basic method is the same.

However it is important to publicly note the differances betweeen my presentation and the one Rich, uses.

Will post a video of mine soon.

Jim

H.o.A-X

H.o.A-X
Wow. I can't believe my favorite didn't even make the top five!

1. Tw0 kards in p0cket.
2. Tw0 kards in p0cket.
3. Tw0 kards in p0cket.
4. Tw0 kards in p0cket.
5. Tw0 kards in p0cket.

(Misspellings are a vain attempt to outwit Googlers.)

The first time I saw this on his DVD I watched multiple times for days on end before I watched the explanation. I wanted to watch the performance so many times because I knew once I knew the secret I would never again feel the shock and awe of seeing it with innocent eyes.
[quote]
On 2011-03-05 20:35, Jim-Callahan wrote:

Wish I could ad more but I never looked at his stuff and only know of the bend because of some recent footage posted.

One big differance is that mine is in the persons hand and you see it bending even in their flat out palm.

However it is important to publicly note the differances betweeen my presentation and the one Rich, uses.

Jim

H.o.A-X

H.o.A-X
[/quote]

if what you say on your coin bend is true: then your effect leaves osterlind way behind you,in the dust so to speak:

congratulations mr.Callahan
Watch Routine
ODDS
Radar Deck
Two cards in Pocket
Artificial Intelligence (best mental epic, IMHO)
If I'm with a small group I prefer 'Test Conditions' (BCS)
[quote]On 2011-03-05 20:35, Jim-Callahan wrote: Coin Bend that is so much like mine. Wish I could ad more but I never looked at his stuff and only know of the bend because of some recent footage posted. One big differance is that mine is in the persons hand and you see it bending even in their flat out palm. But I am sure the basic method is the same. However it is important to publicly note the differances betweeen my presentation and the one Rich, uses. Will post a video of mine soon.[/quote]
Seriously? I mean... seriously???
All of em as long as he is performing them.
[quote]
On 2011-03-06 01:55, Decomposed wrote:
All of em as long as he is performing them.
[/quote]

I always use that when getting a gig. I say "Look! Do you want me or Richard Osterlind?". Then I tell them how much Mr Osterlind charges and how much I charge and I get the gig every time! :lol:
Acid Test for me.

That's the only one I do from his Routines.
Anything with BCS, Watch Routine, Magazine Test, 20 Card Test, Radio Demo
[quote]

Jim

H.o.A-X

H.o.A-X
[/quote]

Where can we see that video--has it been posted?
Watch Routine
Predict-Tac-Toe
Radar Deck
Digital Feedback
Solid Ghost
1)Spoon Bends, I use his spoon bends every performance, they look like the real thing!
3)Perfected Center Tear, love it, possibly the best utility item in my arsenal for anything!
2)Solid Steel Blindfold, I just got mine last week and audiences love it and cannot figure it out IF handled correctly.
3)Watch Routine, have not worked this into my act yet, but man it is powerful and a joy to watch, no pun intended!
4)BTCS, this is devious, I remember watching it and just thinking "HOW?!" I use it mainly for a seeing at the fingertips act.
5)Voodoo, I do not perform this, but it was an absolute joy to watch and it is just a real odd ball all around!

-Jake
[quote]
On 2012-03-31 13:43, magician 336 wrote:
1)Spoon Bends, I use his spoon bends every performance, they look like the real thing!
3)Perfected Center Tear, love it, possibly the best utility item in my arsenal for anything!
2)Solid Steel Blindfold, I just got mine last week and audiences love it and cannot figure it out IF handled correctly.
3)Watch Routine, have not worked this into my act yet, but man it is powerful and a joy to watch, no pun intended!
4)BTCS, this is devious, I remember watching it and just thinking "HOW?!" I use it mainly for a seeing at the fingertips act.
5)Voodoo, I do not perform this, but it was an absolute joy to watch and it is just a real odd ball all around!

-Jake
[/quote]
You have quite a unique way of counting, my friend. ;)

For my top 5 I'll go with:

Watch Routine
Predict-Tac-Toe
Challenge Mindreading
Two Cards in the Pocket
Linking Finger Rings
[quote]
On 2012-03-31 01:35, jimtron wrote:
[quote]

Jim

H.o.A-X

H.o.A-X
[/quote]

[/quote]

Well up pops you.

Has not been yet.

J im

H.o.A-X
[quote]
On 2012-03-31 21:18, Jim-Callahan wrote:
[quote]
[quote]

Jim

H.o.A-X

H.o.A-X
[/quote]

[/quote]

Well up pops you.

Has not been yet.

J im

H.o.A-X
[/quote]
...Like most who say they're going to post a video and never do.

It doesn't take a year of preparation to walk around the corner to the petrol station and have a friend hold your iPhone for a moment.
1 Ultra Board
2 ESP Stack
3 BCS (especially Card Calling and Two Cards in Pocket)
4 Psychological Impossibility
5 Digital Feedback Extraordinaire
Many people have been putting 'watch routine' on their top 5, I'm trying to develop a routine with a watch but I cannot find osterlind's, anyone card to post a link? - would be deeply appreciated
- Hugh
It's on his first DVD set
Mind Mysteries vol 1, 4th routine
Hmmm...There's a difference between what effects I admire -- and which ones I actually USE. Here they are...in a kinda-sorta order:

1) Alpha Mental absolutely positively blows people away. And it's easy from a technical standpoint. (I'm big on "easy" since I am old and have a hard time remembering stuff.)
2) Mental Epic has always been a favorite effect of mine...while I know Richard didn't invent this effect, he refined it enough that I consider the routine "his" and the ME board he sells is a literal dream come true for me.
3) ODDS is a fixture in every adult show I do. It's a routine that grows better with each presentation.
4) Center Tear is something I only use for close-up right now...but I can see it becoming a part of my stage show at some point.
5) Bank Night is one of the funniest routines I do. The method is Richard's, but it's evolved into a much more personal presentation.

David
[quote]
On 2012-04-01 16:57, Exitmat wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-03-31 21:18, Jim-Callahan wrote:
[quote]
[quote]

Jim

H.o.A-X

H.o.A-X
[/quote]

[/quote]

Well up pops you.

Has not been yet.

J im

H.o.A-X
[/quote]
...Like most who say they're going to post a video and never do.

It doesn't take a year of preparation to walk around the corner to the petrol station and have a friend hold your iPhone for a moment.
[/quote]

Wow some Girl/Guy who I do not know and hides in the dark gets snarky.

The videos of my work can be found.

J im

H.o.A-X
My favorite by far is Clearly Q&A.
I have to agree I love all of Richards work especially his Q&A he is a pure genius.
Well, James - you said, last year, that you'd post it in the Café. Where might this video be found?
[quote]
On 2012-04-02 17:46, kcalB wrote:
[/quote]

One of my favorite's as well. It was a painful day when I had to sell mine.
[quote]
On 2012-04-02 20:53, rickreation wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

One of my favorite's as well. It was a painful day when I had to sell mine.
[/quote]

Just buy another one...

http://www.staples.com/Staples-Plastic-Clipboard-Clear/product_121772
[quote]
[/quote]

I agree great bit of work.
Card calling BCS
Spoon bending
hands off
perfect center tear
[quote]On Dec 11, 2009, Danik1 wrote:
Pegasus Page
[/quote]

Osterlind didn't invent this, he only taught it.
Watch Routine and Bank Night for me :)
Another vote for clearly Q&A , fabulous
Where is Clearly Q&A found?
[quote]On Nov 30, 2014, Mr. Mindbender wrote:
Where is Clearly Q&A found? [/quote]

Since it's not Richard's product, my guess would be in another thread...
My top 5 favorites:
PCT
Watch Routine
Inside the Fold
Hands Off
Spoon Bend
Message: Posted by: Richard Osterlind (Nov 30, 2014 02:42PM)
Acutally, I think what Mr. Mindbender might have been referering to is "Clearly Mind Reading" which can be found on Disc Two of No Camera TRicks. Since is can be used asa a Q&A routine, I can certainly see where the confusion might have come from.

Richard
Yes, based in previous posts, I figured it was Ruchards. No Camera tricks is one of the few DVDs of his I don't have. I'll have to look into that!
There's quite a body of work to consider here. Hmmm...

PCT: opened one of the most useful methods anywhere to me. My tear started as a PCT...and evolved into my own method. Still the single best investment I've ever made in mentalism is Osterlind's PCT book. It has some amazing things in it -- but it's also a wealth of information about how to perform ANY CT. I use this in every show...every walkabout.

Mental Ep*c: This was a favorite of mine in the bad old magic days. But, try as I could, there was no way for me to rationalize doing this in my mentalism show -- once I understood what mentalism was. Then Osterlind did ME on his "Without a Net" DVDs. Here was a prop that looked like a chalkboard, didn't reflect stage lights and operated flawlessly. His presentation answered the weaknesses standard ME presentations had in the hands of a mentalist...and offered ideas that were perfectly adaptable to any performer. I close nearly every show with my ME presentation.

Alpha Ment*l: is a watch-the-audience-pee-their-pants quickie routine. I don't do the word divination Osterlind demonstrates because that's too close to something else I'm already doing. But as a cli* line routine...it's perfect.

I looked at a number of different Q and A systems when I was developing my own. There are many out there...but I don't think any are better than ThoughtSc*n for sheer practicality. Again -- the prop looks very innocent -- much like the ME board...but it's been a mainstay in a number of longer shows for me. A dead simple system and a remarkable prop. It has been said that the true value of TS is in the book that comes with it. I tend to agree.

The fifth prop? ThoughtScan Compact. On the surface many think this is just a smaller version of TS. It's not. It's a unique prop with enough differences built in to make it perfect not just for Q and A routines with smaller audiences...but several other effects as well. I can't speak as authoritatively about this because I'm just developing ideas for it myself...and to be honest, I have not taken it into a real show with me yet. But it's on its way...and I look forward to using it for years. In the long run, it MAY be used even more than TS. Time will tell.

You have to give me two more...because, while they aren't props -- both changed the way I think about mentalism. The first: Osterlind's 13 Steps DVD series -- which turned me onto mentalism in the first place. As I said in my lecture at MV -- I'd never seen mentalism presented as MENTALISM before. I'd always thought of it as a subset of magic because I was a magician. I saw an elegant and beautiful presentation that utterly blew me away.

The other resource: The Principals of Mentalism. This book -- along with Cassidy's Fundamentals 2 -- form the cannon of what I consider to be the two most important books on the subject being the modern versions of Annemann and Corinda. Any mentalist -- regardless of experience level -- will do well to devour these books again and again.

Okay. I know that's SEVEN. But what can you do?

David
The best effect from Richard Osterlind is... well Richard himself :)
Where is this watch effect everyone keeps talking about?
[quote]On Dec 1, 2014, MatthewSims wrote:
Where is this watch effect everyone keeps talking about? [/quote]

In the essential DVD for every mentalist - Mind Mysteries #1
Essential is the right word, Ulrich! I learn something new with every viewing.
I've got so much of his material that I couldn't remember where it was located, or which one everyone was talking about. Ill have to pull it off the shelf and have a look.

Since this post was made in 09, Richard has since published one of the most amazing pieces ever using cards, Hands Off. Without a doubt, it goes on the list for me.
I have only been exploring mentalist for a few months, and this may be far from the right place to say this, but I am finding Richard's Annemann DVD series outstanding value in terms of clarity of presentation, and explanation. I look forward to exploring more of his work! Thanks Richard!
Top 5? Just FIVE? Really?

Nopes, can't do it......

Bryn
I agree with mindhunter, just too many to choose from.
I seldom do more than one or two things I've learned from any single performer or creator (because I prefer to learn from people and then use what I learn to craft my own performances instead of copying theirs), so I can't list five. I will, however, mention that I have enormous respect for Richard's thinking, his attitude, and his personality. He's one of my top three votes for world's most awesome mentalist.

I perform a modified version (won't go into details here) of O.D.D.S., which is one of the best things that ever happened to me and my thinking about mentalism when I was new to it, and [i]The Blindfold Book[/i], though I've never owned his version of the blindfold, and can't even remember how I ended up owning the book (that was a lot of partying ago), is almost totally responsible for my having learned to do blindfold work in any form.

And he's also the only other person besides my first mentor who's ever seemed to know who Faucett Ross was, and that wins a lot of respect points from me. Faucett Ross was a huge influence on me in my early days in magic.

So yeah, I don't do lots and lots of his effects, but I like to think that what I've learned from Richard goes beyond mere effects. He's one of the people who's helped me learn to think like a mentalist, and helped me to be a better entertainer in general.
Love this thread! So much appreciation for one of the best teachers of our art ever and a wonderful man as well. I couldn't possibly choose just five Osterlind routines... There's a little bit of Ridhard in every routine I do.
Inside the fold
PCT
Watch Routine
Spoon bend
Hands Off

I just received his ForeSign and ThoughtScan Compact in the mail and very excited to add these to my show!
[quote]On Dec 30, 2014, george1953 wrote:
I agree with mindhunter, just too many to choose from. [/quote]

It' like....well, there are whole websites devoted to "Top 5" categories, bazillions of them:
http://top5ofanything.com/

And I take it as an affront that there is NOT a RIchard Osterlind category!....haha

Bryn
Message: Posted by: Richard Osterlind (Dec 30, 2014 09:50PM)
Bryn, George, Robb and all the rest of you - what an incredible way to end 2014! Thank you so much for your wonderful and gracious comments!

May you all have a wonderful and prosperous New Year and thank you again for making me feel so good!

Richard :)
And thank you too, Richard.

Without you and Bob existing in this world, I'd just be doing tricks with little pieces of paper.

I, for one, feel I owe you more than I could ever repay.

And you're just so freaking nice, too! XD
In no particular order:
Card Calling/Miracle Card projection from Mind mysteries 2
Magazine Test MM1
Watch Routine MM1
PCT MM1(The endless possibilities)
Spoon Bend/ Spectator Reads Mind
plus too many others I can't recall at the moment, and thank you so much Richard for the gifts you continue to bring, the knowledge you share in your DVDs are just as valuable if not more than the actual tricks.
Richard has many, many commercial routines. He has too many good ones to select only five. One of my very favorites is Bank Night. I can't go wrong with this gem.

Happy New Year Richard and to everyone else on the café.

Ray
Today I performed the Viewed ESP Prediction from [i]Dynamic Mysteries[/i] for the first time publicly.

I really had no idea what an impact it could have on an audience until I tried it. They were all completely blown away. I mean completely.

I was as amazed as they were when I saw their reactions, and I think it's definitely a keeper. I just wish I'd tried it out a lot sooner. I feel like I was cheating myself and everyone else by not bothering with it before. Finally, I have something I can do with those old ESP cards that actually makes them all go "WHOA!"

And it's one of the few routines I've ever done that I didn't feel needed to be changed in some way to make it more suitable. It plays like a miracle right "out of the box".
This isn't an effect, but I just want to say Richard's customer service is great. A few months ago, I emailed him late at night, and he responded early the next morning...which was Thanksgiving! I certainly wasn't expecting that :)
Mortimer, did you do Viewed ESP Prediction from stage or parlor or close up or...??? I've been working on a stage version, not using ESP symbols, but same basic idea...
I do most of my stuff fairly close-up. This was in a surrounded performance, for about 20 people.

Richard mentions that it's adaptable for different-sized venues; you can use large ESP cards (or whatever you're using) for it and draw the prediction out on an easel facing half the audience or so, even make your own cards if need be.

A second easel with double-sided tape laid out in the proper positions can hold the cards as they're chosen, and they can be unstuck and re-stuck as they're revealed, even. 'S'what I'd do, anyway. Just put the tape on the board backing, then handle it a bit so anything stuck onto it won't stick permanently, but can be pulled free easily. Laminate your cards, and you're good to go for multiple performances.

It kills. Seriously. Totally worth incorporating into an act, in whatever way possible, as long as it can be done properly. Do it with the right emphasis on the right points, and you will bring the house down.
One that I've always liked that you rarely see mentioned in these threads is Change of Mind
[quote]On Jan 9, 2015, clairvoyant wrote:
One that I've always liked that you rarely see mentioned in these threads is Change of Mind [/quote]

I'm not familiar with it. For all I know I've read it before, and forgot. The stuff I choose to perform is all that tends to stick sometimes... I'm bad about that.

What's it like? Now I'm curious.
It's on Mind Mysteries Volume 3. Essentially, they pick a coin out of their stash and reach into your pocket and pick a coin out of yours. You knew what each of the coins would be, and the year they were minted. Not a mind blowing routine, but it's nice how consistent the two phases are given the method at play, and the gimmick employed is quite a unique solution that I haven't seen elsewhere.
I think that could actually be a pretty mind-blowing thing, really.

Sounds cool!
I thought the best part of Change of Mind was the fact the predictions are all signed by the spectators. Very nice.
The problem with Euros depending on where they are from is that they have no date on them.
I was thinking about Change of Mind too, clairvoyant. But then of course you already knew that!

COM is actually sold on its own and is a "utility" with many applications. Nuff about that up here :rotf:
[quote]On Jan 10, 2015, george1953 wrote:
The problem with Euros depending on where they are from is that they have no date on them. [/quote]

Really?, I thought that all eurocoins have the year in which they where made in on it.
Also there are 31 different national desgins (each national design also has 4 different designs).
There are some nice revelations you can do with does designs instead of the year they where made in.
Change of Mind is truly brilliant. There literally is just no other explanation to the layman as to how it is possible other than you have some real esoteric ability! Highly recommended routine!

Regards,
Mike

[quote]On Jan 10, 2015, Bill Cushman wrote:
I was thinking about Change of Mind too, clairvoyant. But then of course you already knew that!

COM is actually sold on its own and is a "utility" with many applications. Nuff about that up here :rotf: [/quote]
Artificial Inteligence is very good.
A more recent Annemann-rooted effect and prop, Extra-Sensory Perception Expanded, deserves prominent mention with these others.

George
My favourites are Hands Off and the Osterlind Envelope.
Rex
I perform his PCT, watch routine, and Inside The Fold almost daily. I checked out Change OF Mind last night per all the great reviews on here and it looks as if I better make one of these gimmicks. He teaches how on his MM series. I'm currently working on the Radar Deck. You really can't go wrong with Richard's stuff.
I am not familiar with the Osterlind Envelope, do you know where it can be found ?
[quote]On Sep 15, 2016, Nestor D wrote:
I am not familiar with the Osterlind Envelope, do you know where it can be found ? [/quote]
It's on his Sapphire Collection DVD
[quote]On Sep 15, 2016, Nestor D wrote:
I am not familiar with the Osterlind Envelope, do you know where it can be found ? [/quote]
It is a utility used in the Perfected Add a Number effect in the Sapphire collection.
Although I use it in a different way.
Rex
Thank you :)
In which of Osterlinds books DVDs is Change of Mind ? I think I have read/ watched almost all of Osterlinds work but don't seem to recollect COMind.
I am also looking for the name of the DVD in which Osterlind does a 'hypnotism' effect.All my DVDs and books are packed haphazardly in boxes(moved house recently) so any help would be welcome so that I can open the appropriate box.A PM would also be welcome.
"Change of Mind"=Mind Mysteries Vol. 3 :)
"Principles of mentalism" is not an effect, but at least in my top 5 ranking of Richards work!
Really enjoying this thread. I recently picked up a bunch to his DVDs. Looking forward to watching them
[quote]On Dec 30, 2014, The_MetalMaster wrote:
Inside the fold
PCT
Watch Routine
Spoon bend
Hands Off

I just received his ForeSign and ThoughtScan Compact in the mail and very excited to add these to my show! [/quote]

I've added several of other Richard's effects to great success over the past few years and would like to add my New Top 5. I still perform his PCT, Watch Routine, and spoon bend constantly.
My new 5 include:
1. Glass of Water production
2. Signed Torn and Restored Newspaper
3. SOS Psychometry routine with the Ross Johnson "bit"
4. Leather and Stainless Steel Blindfold
5. Radar Deck with Challenge Mind Reading
[quote]On Dec 30, 2014, Richard Osterlind wrote:
Bryn, George, Robb and all the rest of you - what an incredible way to end 2014! Thank you so much for your wonderful and gracious comments!

May you all have a wonderful and prosperous New Year and thank you again for making me feel so good!

Richard :) [/quote]

6 years later... a pandemic, not as much social interaction, and the rise of Zoom/online performances...

With that in mind, how have your answers changed?

Bryn
Bryn, I recently did Osterlind's Foresign via zoom. It worked perfectly and it's an easy thing to do via Zoom.

In my list of his stuff that's at the very top is the SOS bag and ODDS. Both have so many uses that you could do each over and over in different acts and have different presentations and outcomes.

Greg

P.S. In the 90s I had his VHS tape that had Tic Tac Toe prediction and I immediately started doing it.
Osterlind's effect called Hands Off is my favorite of his. It fried my brain when I first saw it. I've since learned the trick and begun to use it. What a fantastic bit of thinking from Richard Osterlind!

- Richard
So much to choose from, but I've always been a fan of his BCS and Numeric Vortex.
For me it has to be ODDS.
RO top 5 effects:

1. Being Richard Osterlind
2. Being entertaining and engaging
3. Oozing passion for his act.
4. Making laughs organically. (And yeah, he does have some stock gags, too. He knows how to use them.)
5. Making the necessary skills invisible and/or effortless.
Any effect with BCS does it for me
[quote]On Dec 11, 2020, Greg Arce wrote:
Bryn, I recently did Osterlind's Foresign via zoom. It worked perfectly and it's an easy thing to do via Zoom.

In my list of his stuff that's at the very top is the SOS bag and ODDS. Both have so many uses that you could do each over and over in different acts and have different presentations and outcomes.

Greg

P.S. In the 90s I had his VHS tape that had Tic Tac Toe prediction and I immediately started doing it. [/quote]

Great suggestions, guys.

Things have certainly changed regarding some regarding in-person interaction, and these classics from Richard all would certainly fit the bill!

As a side note regarding "adapting" during this "apocalypse:"

I took up drawing in my retirement from law enforcement (link in signature if you want to check out what I draw...)

In the few (very few) in person shows that were held this year, I always do a little magic (and of course some mentalism!) as it certainly helps draw people in to the table. Of course, in-depth mentalism effects are out due to time constraints, but effects such as my "7" and a few others are quick enough.

I do a lot of money and credit card effects due to the nature of the environment as those are always already out and in play. I also do some silver dollar effects (my 3-fly with a triple Morgan split, etc,) as it is quick and eye-catching.

Another effect that has usually results in increased sales of my art prints:
I make a prediction on the back of my #DarkMountainArts business card. I ask them to look through one of the baskets of prints on the table and select one that appeals to them. Of course, due to my boon, the prediction matches. (And it also ends up with a busines card in their hand, if not a sale of that print!

Since my artist pens and pencils are out and on display along with a sketch pad, I have done drawing dupes to great success as well, and it ties in PERFECTLY with the art I am selling! RIchards "ODDs" is perfect in this envirinment!

It seems we are all adapting during these "unprecedented times."

You gave some great suggestions regarding Richard's vast catalog, and I appreciate that (another great excuse to dig out his DVDs and books and go gold-mining!)

Bryn
The Watch Routine (brilliant routining)
Breakthrough Card System (Card Calling, 2 Cards in Pocket etc.)
Alpha Mental Plus (his update on the original routine)
Total Knockout (His outstanding routine, but not the props he employs)
Hands-Off (One of the finest mentalism card effects you can perform)
Jared:

Great choices, all.

One of my favs I don't mention much (because it IS a shameless plug!) is an "Add-A-No" original effect that he gave me to include in my LOGAR eBook. NOTHING is needed and it is amazing. I've had the opportunity due to more time at home to refine it and work on some of the mental calculations needed (not there is much at all, but I'm OCD on such matters...)
'
The 'Watch Routine' is one of my all-time go-to routines, from ANYONE. I only hope not EVERYONE goes the route of the smartwatch...

Bryn
Bryn,
Agreed, the "Add-A-No" is a worthy inclusion for its simple set-up, yet powerful impact.
[quote]On Dec 21, 2020, Jared wrote:
Bryn,
Agreed, the "Add-A-No" is a worthy inclusion for its simple set-up, yet powerful impact. [/quote]

Absolutely, Jared...I'm so glad you like it!

Its another of those "A.A.A." nothing-required gems. My additions/handling in LOGAR really didn't add a lot, as his effect stands on it's own. I was just so grateful he gave me an original of HIS to include in my eBook, as it had been a huge thrill for me to have some of MINE included in his DVDs/books (No Camera Tricks, Mystique, etc.)

Bryn
[quote]On Dec 13, 2020, NeilS wrote:
For me it has to be ODDS. [/quote]

Great choice, Neil!

I kinda brought this discussion around to how covid/online performances/other "changes" this year has brought might have changed your selections of Richard's effects. His catalog of workers is vast, so there are many to select from!

Bryn
[quote]On Mar 6, 2011, Shrubsole wrote:

I always use that when getting a gig. I say "Look! Do you want me or Richard Osterlind?". Then I tell them how much Mr Osterlind charges and how much I charge and I get the gig every time! :lol: [/quote]

Hilarious!
Watching Richard Osterlind perform many of his routines on his DVDs over the years has been a significant part of my mentalism education. I love watching Richard perform and teach. His Vinyl Folder Q & A from The Sapphire Collection is one of many favorites.
[quote]On Dec 26, 2020, Stunninger wrote:
Watching Richard Osterlind perform many of his routines on his DVDs over the years has been a significant part of my mentalism education. I love watching Richard perform and teach. [/quote]

I couldn't agree more!

Bryn
Totally agreed...for me, watching Richard's performances were formative to my interest in mentalism. My top five (no order) would be:

1. OBCS (esp. Two Cards in the Pocket)
2. Spoon bends
3. Watch Routine
4. ODDS
5. PCT

If I had a 6th, I’d say 40,000 Words – I’d read it in Practical Mental Effects but until I saw Richard’s handling in one of his Penguin lectures, I didn’t realize how well it played (and I immediately went to the dollar store to buy dictionaries).
Good ones, 3sdb!

It's interesting how he brings some life to these classics by presenting them in a visual format that you can actually SEE.

And it also goes to show just how well some of these routines (that many literally be 100 years old!) can still entertain the hell out of an audiance.

And no offense to the particular forum here by that name, as I love checking it out as well, but it doesn't always have to be the
"Latest and Greatest."

Bryn
I always go back to Osterlind. You could do just fine as a mentalist with his Mental Mysteries set in a material selection sense.
[quote]On Jan 7, 2021, Blindside785 wrote:
I always go back to Osterlind. You could do just fine as a mentalist with his Mental Mysteries set in a material selection sense. [/quote]

BAM!

Bryn
For me:
- Breaktrough Card System (MM2)
- Bank Night (MM1)
- The Perfect Center Tear (MM1)
- Change of Mind (MM3)
- Predic-Tac-Toe (my favorite)
[quote]On Dec 13, 2020, Tom Cutts wrote:
RO top 5 effects:

1. Being Richard Osterlind
2. Being entertaining and engaging
3. Oozing passion for his act.
4. Making laughs organically. (And yeah, he does have some stock gags, too. He knows how to use them.)
5. Making the necessary skills invisible and/or effortless. [/quote]

Ditto!

And of course his BT stack (a tool not one effect), his CT (a tool not one effect) and his versions of the Radar Deck (both the old one and the new and improved one)

-
Sorry to highjack the thread, but I have a Richard Osterlind related question:

I am trying to find a copy (to buy!) of Richard's "Memorized Breakthrough Card System".

I can't seem to find a copy anywhere, not even on his own site.

I understand that sometimes things go in and out of print but not to find and be able to buy a single copy anywhere is frustrating.

Has it been withdrawn for any reason?

Any pointers are appreciated.
Hello,

https://osterlindmysteries.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=15

Regards
[quote]On Feb 17, 2021, Escamoteur wrote:
Hello,

https://osterlindmysteries.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=15

Regards [/quote]

Yes thank you but that is his Breakthrough Card System, which I have.
He brought out, in the early 2000s a Memorised deck version where you could memorised his BCS called MEMORIZED Breakthrough Card System. (MBCS)

It's not on his site and no magic dealer seems to stock it.
Hello,

My apologies. I read too quickly and did not pay attention to detail.

https://osterlindmysteries.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=14

Hope that this is helpful.

Regards
[quote]On Dec 20, 2020, Jared wrote:
The Watch Routine (brilliant routining)
Breakthrough Card System (Card Calling, 2 Cards in Pocket etc.)
Alpha Mental Plus (his update on the original routine)
Total Knockout (His outstanding routine, but not the props he employs)
Hands-Off (One of the finest mentalism card effects you can perform) [/quote]

I have seen "Hands Off" miss too many times for me to feel comfortable with it. Just my opinion.
[quote]On Feb 17, 2021, rowdymagi5 wrote:

I have seen "Hands Off" miss too many times for me to feel comfortable with it. Just my opinion. [/quote]

How can you miss it?

I mean, if you follow the latest version in terms setup; I don't want to expose the method but I think you should be pretty safe.
[quote]On Feb 17, 2021, ltrblst wrote:

I have seen "Hands Off" miss too many times for me to feel comfortable with it. Just my opinion. [/quote]

How can you miss it?

I mean, if you follow the latest version in terms setup; I don't want to expose the method but I think you should be pretty safe. [/quote]

I have found a lot of people are not used to using jumbo cards. More than once, the card is not placed in the middle, instead placed in the 10 to 17 card area.

How can you miss it?

I mean, if you follow the latest version in terms setup; I don't want to expose the method but I think you should be pretty safe. [/quote]

I have found a lot of people are not used to using jumbo cards. More than once, the card is not placed in the middle, instead placed in the 10 to 17 card area. [/quote]

That would be a big problem indeed!

Spectator management is very important in this effect, also because the magician is supposed to turn his back and cannot actually verify what he is doing... I try to peek with my peripheral vision, but if he doesn't stick the card about in the middle the effect is lost :-(

I don't know what can be done to avoid/mitigate such a scenario.

Never happened to me, but I only performed "Hands Off" a handful of times, and I love it.

How can you miss it?

I have found a lot of people are not used to using jumbo cards. More than once, the card is not placed in the middle, instead placed in the 10 to 17 card area. [/quote]

Whilst punters will always do the strangest things, I think with proper emphasis on the middle of the deck, all should be well.
You can then play off this buy saying "try and get it exactly in the middle... ...oh you were no bad as I think your card is the 23rd card, that's close to the middle!

And even in the case they do put it in the wrong place then you will still be able to name the card and be off by one and can use that as near enough.
[quote]On Feb 17, 2021, Escamoteur wrote:
Hello,

My apologies. I read too quickly and did not pay attention to detail.

https://osterlindmysteries.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=14

Hope that this is helpful.

Regards [/quote]

Yikes! So I have to buy a whole dvd set that I already have just to get the booklet that I don't!
[quote]On Feb 17, 2021, Shrubsole wrote:

Whilst punters will always do the strangest things, I think with proper emphasis on the middle of the deck, all should be well.
You can then play off this buy saying "try and get it exactly in the middle... ...oh you were no bad as I think your card is the 23rd card, that's close to the middle!

And even in the case they do put it in the wrong place then you will still be able to name the card and be off by one and can use that as near enough. [/quote]

Great tips. Thank you.
I will include 5 that I regularly perform for paying audiences. They are little bit modified, with my touches on every single one of them.

- Watch Routine;
- Dynamo deck;
- Spoon Bending;
- Mantel Epic done with index cards.
- Perfect CT.
Watch routine
card calling
hands off
spoon bending
magazine test