(Close Window)
Topic: Dove throw to silk
Seen a great many magicians use this trick, including Lance Burton. Just curious, can anyone recommend the BEST gimmicks to use as far as performance, quality and safety for the dove?

Any links would be greatly appreciated, as well.
Poveglia, there are no gimmicks with this effect. You need a dove, ordinary silk and a coat.
And, someone that knows how to sew.
And, a little 'extra' with the sewing to make it almost fail proof. *smile*
Message: Posted by: Michael J. Douglas (Jan 16, 2010 01:31PM)
And, a lot of practice.
If you attach a strong piece of elastic to the bird, it will just be snapped under the coat, eliminating the need for any sewing.

I'm kidding, of course. :lol:
Message: Posted by: Michael J. Douglas (Jan 16, 2010 04:23PM)
I'm sure it's been tried, unfortunately. :crazydude:
How long does this elastic band have to be? Can this same method be used for a rabbit, as well? ;)
Hahaha- I couldn't help but laugh when I read your post, Dave - and I'm sure someone had tried that before. I can just see them in their garage saying, "Watch this!!!".....not funny, but funny.
Message: Posted by: Michael J. Douglas (Jan 16, 2010 05:22PM)
For the rabbit, you need at least two bands to compensate for the weight. Also note that it's very angly once the rabbit has vanished unless you naturally have a hump like Quasimodo.
Message: Posted by: tropicalillusions (Jan 16, 2010 06:16PM)
And remember, It can be done without a coat, just give it some thought?? Have seen some do it without the coat.. Its a fooler. No sewing in this one.
Hey Tropical - I think I have seen you do it that way before in a video, but you were wearing a coat, but still did the vanish part without your outerwear. Am I wrong? *smile*
Message: Posted by: tropicalillusions (Jan 16, 2010 07:03PM)
Hey my old friend, good to see your post here. I did use that version... I had the coat, because I didn't have the new coat without the tails done yet, I have been wanting to get rid of the tails for a long time, so had to rethink some of the effects. Wow what a challenge, but as they say, necessity is the mother of invention.

When you get the chance, shoot me a pm with your website for building. I have dreamed up a small project and want to check in with you after a while when I get the other projects done. Last I had seen your stuff looked great,,, Chat with you later, I have to go feed my rubber doves, trying to train them to fly back, and it is not going so well. Good to hear from you. Do you have Skype???????
You could contact General Grant. He can set you up. Top notch products.

Dr. solar
Hey Tropic -yeah, man...Skype. I'll PM you the details.

Those dang rubber doves are so hard to work with in training! I would love to see a flyback on that one!
I never seen anyone do it with BA before, but it can be done that way.
Keep in mind that you do NOT have to wear a formal tuxedo with tails to perform this effect. I adapted a version for use while wearing my Wizard robes. This same method would also work with a Japanese men's Kimono, a clown costume or even a bathrobe.
Message: Posted by: tropicalillusions (Jan 20, 2010 05:33PM)
DynaMike,,, I am caught up with you know....LOL,,,BA. I see or I don't see...LOL. Good thought my friend, would work well, in the right situations. I bet me and you would have problems with it in our outside shows???? but a good idea none the less.
I have a Sponge dove are they harder to train then the rubber ones.
Message: Posted by: tropicalillusions (Mar 21, 2010 02:12PM)
Owln, you need rubber seed for those guys, it works wonders.
Yeah, and the sponge doves need lots of sponge cake.
Dave is that information in your lecture notes? By the way I'm planning on getting a copy of them as soon as I can get the electric company paid $590.00 last month $600.00 this month, cold winter and drafty house bad combination.
Chris where do you buy your rubber seeds, will this change my sponge rubber dove into a full fleged rubber dove, I do have my profound fixed now thanks to you and all your help, your one in a million very glad to have you as a friend.
As someone mentioned earlier, I believe General Grant sells the tail p****ts for the effect.
Message: Posted by: tropicalillusions (Mar 22, 2010 09:40AM)
Owln, I have rubber trees in the back yard, each fall, they drop their seeds in hope of growing new rubber trees, But I always pick up the seed, I will save you a big gunny sack full my friend.
Cool, I'll use some to make tires for my truck also