(Close Window)
Topic: Appropriate Picture?
I performed a corporate gig at the Playboy Mansion a few months back, and have a picture with a couple Playboy Bunnies that I took at the event. My main market is corporate and adult social events, but I'm curious if you think this picture would be too risque to include on a website:

http://www.kevinvinermagic.com/images/playboy-mansion-magician.jpg

Thanks in advance for your opinions!
Were you in the picture?
Yes, I'm the bunny on the left . . .actually, it's me in the middle.
Hi Kevin,

Great picture and it looks like you had a wonderful time. I personally do not have a problem with the photo myself. However, I am not sure it would be a smart move to place it on the website or use it for promotional purposes. I just think some folks in the coporate markets that you work, may find offense to it. If that happens, they may not contact you and you may see a decline in possible bookings.

I think they may especially be true for some of the woman out there who are CEOs or decision makers who might be looking at your site to book you for a possible event.

Perhaps you can still get milage out of it by not posting a photo or logo, but by mentioning performing for Hugh Hefner or adding him as the client in your client listings page. This way it may still serve well but lessons the possibility of it being perceived wrong.

Just a few suggestions and hope they may be of help to you.

Kyle
These ladies look just like many magician's assistants. Scantily-clad women are kinda synonymous with magic. Though I think you might consider cropping it just above the waist. But, it's not going to offend anyone I don't think. Congratulations on such a sweet gig! Definitely worth bragging about on your website!
I would not include it in any sort of "promotional" part because it has the red eye thing happening.

I WOULD however use it as a sort of a "picture page" showing different shots of you at different events, different people having fun. Just a sort of "fun" page rather than the promo part of the web page.

Seems like a fine distinction, but I think it is important. No need to "polorise" people. If you thought of it others can. Like I said as part of the "look at all these people having a great time" page I think it would be a fantastic shot.
I don't find it offensive at all, However I don't think you need to add it to your website. I would however mention on your website that you performed at the playboy mansion
Thank you all for your opinions. You gave me some great feedback - - Danny, I think it would be a good idea to add it to an overall Pictures page.
It's a great shot and I have no problem with it. If you said "Look who performed at the Playboy Mansion?"..you have covered your "bases".

Charlie
I definitely don't think it would hurt you in any way. Playboy is very "mainstream" now:)
I'd even use it here in Utah.
hmmm... photo shop anyone?
I find nothing at all offensive or risque about the photo, and the girls are very pretty. You do need to keep in mind that some groups are verrry conservative and may opt NOT to book you just because of the Playboy connection. I think you've gotten some good feedback above.

But that is a really good photo. You lucky dog, you!

Joe Libby
San Antonio, TX
Once again, thanks for the great advice everybody!
Dan... You would use that in Utah. How are you, April and the kids been?

Take care,
Bruce
I would not use it Kevin, people today are very concerned with hiring corporate entertainment and wether or not they will use blue material or not. I think it is a great pic and would love to have been there and have the pic for myself but the law of averages say that more likely someone will be turned off by it to the point of not hiring you rather than anyone thinking "wow I gotta hire this guy because he had his pic taken with some Playboy Bunnies".

Here in Denver I get calls for work as a magician and motivational speaker all the time from people terrified because they have a horror story from a past experience where someone that they hired said or did something inappropriate.

In short, more to loose than to gain by posting this pic if you ask me.

Keir
http://www.LifeIsMagical.com
[quote]
On 2010-01-18 19:24, BCS wrote:
Dan... You would use that in Utah. How are you, April and the kids been?

Take care,
Bruce
[/quote]

BRUCE! My Old Friend! Good to hear from you.
Ya, I'd use it in Utah.
April and the kids are doing great. Check your PM.
Kevin, Do you have a quote from that event that you could use?
I have some quotes, but the event was for an organization that would definitely be more risque than the picture itself. Might turn off a few clients.
I think Keir might be on the right track here, you might want to think long and hard about using it.

John
Message: Posted by: Mark Boody Illusionist (Jan 23, 2010 01:31PM)
When in doubt, leave it out!

Mark
GREAT PICTURE!!

With your permission - can I photoshop my face over yours and use in my summer VBS (vacation bible school) mailing?! If would get a reaction for sure!! lol

PS HOpe you know I'm kidding - I gonna paste my face on one of the bunnies instead!! lol - I am just too sick!
I agree. Awesome pic. It would be framed in my house! Hehehehehe. I am in agreement with most and wouldn't post it on the site. Unless they were completely naked- then I would! (joking of course!).

Pretty cool gig though!

Robert Haas