(Close Window)
Topic: Plate Spinning
Message: Posted by: Christopher Rinaldi (Feb 4, 2010 12:45AM)
Okay, I just ordered 3 plates and 4 sticks from Dube, I've never spun plates and thought it would be easier than this.

Apparently there is a method to getting the plates to spin with just one hand, I'm spinning at the wrist but cannot get it for the life of me as of yet...it looked easier in the videos.

I really wanna get this with just one hand dang burn it...both hands!!!

This must be a "knack" kinda thing huh?
It really isn't that hard once you get the right monement.

First you hold the stick at the bottom and point index finger up the stick.

Now you can either have your arm at a right angle or hold it straight up. You'll find one or other easier.

Then you want to get your plate to rotate around the stick by drawing a circle with the end of the stick. It should still be hanging on the stick at this point, your finger pointed up, stick straight, movement from the wrist.

Next make that circle movement bigger. The plate will go flat.

Speed up the move and then suddenly stop! It's the sudden stop that will make it jump to the middle.

The most common problem is the stick dropping forward. If it's not straight the plate won't spin. Also make sure the movement doesn't migrate up the arm to the elbow.

You could also throw the plate in the same way as you would a basket ball.

To do that hold the rim and twist and throw at the same time catching it on the stick.

I hope this helps.

BTW, what plate are you using?

The best I've found for learning are these http://www.butterfingers.co.uk/Ko-Bespoke/stockdetails.asp?product=Plates/1/PLAT01002

They're not too light and the lip under the plate is a nice size. The professional plates, like those from Dube, look great for performance but are much harder to learn with.

If you're still having problems I could stick a plate spinning vid up if you think that would be useful.

Let me know.

Ros
That's all great advise Ros. Thanks for posting.

Cap'n Mike

That's how I learnt. And it's how I teach my students. If anyone has any other methods or little tricks that I've missed please do add them on. Plate spinning is one of those things that tends to get forgotten.

So here's a question. What do you do with the plate once it's spinning?

So far I have:
throw and catch plate
throw and catch plate turning stick 180/360
throw plate and stick together (I call it Nick's Trick because a young lad aged 11 showed it me about 6 years ago. His name is Nick)
throw plate and pass stick (including behind the back under legs etc).
throw plate and you spin 360
spin plate one in each hand
plate on finger
balance plate and stick (on chin, forehead etc)
curls
behind the back throw

That's about all I can think of right now. Does anyone have anything else they do with a spinning plate. Oh they lend themselves to some of the hat flourishes too. That's quite nice to do.

Always looking to learn,

Ros :)
I have done gigs where all I did was restart spinning plates for a bunch of little kids. I literally did not get off of my chair, and the kids stayed within 20 feet of my chair. As Christopher found out it is not a skill that you can pick up in a few minutes.

Chris
I taught myself how to do it with either hand one Saturday morning. Just keep the stick moving faster than the plate, and you will achieve lift off.
Thanks for the link for the plates!
I have been looking for these plates for years!!
Could not find them. Ones that I found work just as well (and are alos flexiable and quite heavy) are from circus jojo (belgium)
http://www.circusjojo.be/shop/Nl/Frame.aspx

They are good (easy) for beginners as well.
I learned that the disadvantage is that the ones that are easier to get to spin will spin shorter. (due to being less heavy)
I've used these plates too. I had them before I switched to the Cathys Plates.

By the way, for those who don't speak Flemish (I think that's the language of the site. Looks like Dutch to me, but being as it's a Belgian site I'm guessing that's what it is) you need to click on Chinese Borden and then Circus JoJo Borden.

The link above gave me two options, neither of which I understood, so I just clicked "ok" and I found the plates using the menu.

For some reason I knew what spinning plate was yet I don't speak any other languages! I know, I know, typical lazy Brit. I can only appologize.
Oh yeah I am sorry did not realize not everyone speak dutch/flemish...
+ it does not open to exactly the same site as I pasted.
First you have too choose wether you are a private person or buisness/school/etc. I think the last categorie will get discount. But to just have a look it is easiest to choose the first one.
Chinese borden = chines plates (=spinning plates)
Circus jojo borden = plates of circus jojo.
By the way for some nice tricks on plate manipulation (not spinning) have a look here:
http://www.trickswithhats.org/plates/menu.shtml?pid=180
(very good source for hat tricks as well!)
Most of these work better (lot easier) with (more heavy) normal plates then plastic plates.

Spinning china plates however I find quite difficult. I had some succesfull tries but unfortunatly did not manage to get control over it yet.