(Close Window)
Topic: Short and Pithy
Saw this somewhere recently and it really made me think:

"A magic effect happens both in the hands of the performer and the minds of the audience members. The second is the most powerful and not always the result of the first."

Best,
Nice...there are a lot of great quotations in many magic Books.That a one one.
The one that made me think a lot if from David Regal and say: " I don't understand how people can say that they don't like magic, is like saying you don't like music...maybe you don't find the kind of music that you like, but you like music! "
My best,
Hansel!
Don't know who said it, but I was told --

"Magic is about memories and hope -- a good effect takes a person back to pleasant experiences, and makes them hope for more."
Hansel: It's not really that some folks don't like magic. What they don't like is being fooled which they conflate with being made to seem and for them to 'feel' stupid. That's too bad really and fortunately it is fairly rare. Best,
Brad:
You are right, the endless battle of be Mistified and Fascinated or Fooled and feel stupid...Such is life!
My best,
Hansel!
I agree the second part is the most important. If the only person who believes the magic happened is the magician, then it didn't happen. The magician must always keep in mind how the audience reacts and create his magic around his spectators as that is why we perform: are spectators. Otherwise we would just perform in front of the mirror for the one looking back.
Rod.. Well said couldn't agree more and as for people not liking magic (or not like being fooled) well isn't it up to the magician to understand their audience if they are enjoying themselves or not and sometimes you can make the people watching look to bethe hero which always goes over well.