(Close Window)
Topic: Terrorism and freedom of movement.
If your town or city came under terrorist attack would you be 'contained' within the area, or allowed to take your family to what you would consider would be safety. Do you get the impression that your local Police and the Military would act against you by preventing a 'ripple' effect of your local population to the countryside etc? We've all seen the movie "Independance Day" where the hundreds of campervans attempt a break to safety. I personally would try to get my family to our caravan (trailervan) in remote West Wales if my nearest City came under chemical or bio attack, - but something tells me we'd be held prisoners in our locality. Do you feel the same would happen in your area? Not a happy subject folks, - but maybe an interesting one(?)

Tony.
.... In Canada 'freedom of movement' is a right. Unless the War Measures Act comes into play, you can move as much as you want.

Lee
[quote]
On 2003-06-23 17:58, pyro_magic wrote:
.... In Canada 'freedom of movement' is a right. Unless the War Measures Act comes into play, you can move as much as you want.
[/quote]

Your second statement invalidates your first.

A right is something that cannot be taken away. If "freedom of movement" is a right, then it cannot be followed by an "unless".
??

Does that mean that a convicted criminal still has the right to bear arms because of the second amendment? I can think of other cases as well where this statement would be problematic.

-Reg {*}
Yes, - but Lee, David and Reg, this is something ongoing now for all of us -especially in the USA, UK and Australia - as of course we appreciate Canada's splendid role in Afghanistan - but I would guess those who went physically to war in Iraq may be top of the terrorists lists. The UK is supposed to be a world expert on terrorist suppression but yet some idiot managed to get into Prince William's birthday party dressed as Bin Laden and perform an act on stage which involved giving William a kiss on both cheeks, before the security realised he was not a booked entertainer!! If this guy had been a suicide killer then the whole Royal family would have died, - with the exception of Edward, who was not there, and would have succeeded to the throne. So if this can happen at Windsor, then with the greatest of respect, WHEREVER you live terrorism could strike - including in New York, - again! The point I'm making is what do your local authorities have planned for you? Freedom of movement or containment if a spreadable contaminent were used?