(Close Window)
Topic: New wire for loops
Hey, guys, we've talked about wire for loops before, but I thought I'd post about a new wire I found. I don't know if it's really new, but I just found it last week.

In a craft store, like Michaels or AC Moore, you'll find this wire in the bead section. It comes in a few different colors and sizes, but I found the black 26 gauge type to work very well. It's called Stringing and is made by Jewelry Essentials. A 20 yard coil of it cost $1.89. That's enough wire to make about 65 loops.

Just thought I'd pass it on.
Message: Posted by: Michael J. Douglas (Feb 11, 2010 09:24PM)
Sounds like a good deal. How's the strength/durability compared to other wires you've tried, and is it a matte black? Many of the crafter wires I've seen are shiny.
You can buy "picture frame" wire... the type of woven wire used to put on the back of picture frames to hang. Often times, it will come in a picture hanging kit. Unweave the wire, and use a single strand. Paint it flat black, and you are ready to go. If you have an orthodontist friend, you can also use braces wire. Dr. Bob Escher (former president of IBM) used this for years.
Michael, it's not real shiny, but not quite flat black either. I haven't had any problems with it. I wear a tux which has silky lapels, so it blends it well. It's so thin, it really doesn't matter. As for strength, I haven't used it long enough to really offer an opinion on it from actual practice, but I did bend a section back and forth rapidly, and it took about 18 bends before it got warm enough to break. Since we don't bend the loops like that, I don't see it being a problem. I don't bend the loop at all, so it won't be an issue at all for me.

Crispy, another good tip with the picture frame wire. The jewelry wire and standard wire I have been using just eliminates the step of painting.
I used this wire for all my loops. They are pretty dependable, and I just leave them shinny like that. So far, no one ever mentioned to me, what are those wires hanging out of your jacket? ...yet.
Thanks, Dave. It's always good to have plenty of options!
I, personally, have used Andy Amyx's dove wire for at least 12 years... I swear by it!!! It's never let me down, and I can perform within a foot of someone!
Anthony
I've used Andy's wire, wire from the hardware store, floral wire and monofilament. This wire is just another option.
Thanks for the info, Dave.