(Close Window)
Topic: MP3-Tech and/or other show controllers
I'm considering buying one of Kerry Pollock's MP3-Tech units, and I'd be curious to hear from users of that or any other automated show controllers. I want to be able to control music cues hands free.

Looking forward to your input.

Thanks.

Bob
I use an mp3Tech in my ventriloquist act and absolutely love it. Very reliable, high quality and worth every penny for the professional performer. Also get the wireless display if you can swing it. I've made a mounting bracket which allows the display to be concealed behind my performance case within my view throughout the show. The display gives peace of mind knowing the correct song is cued and ready to go.

I don't use the ankle straps (and magnets) however I do secure the remote control in my left pants pocket and can activate the remote (and hence, the music) using either a PK ring or simply reaching into my pocket and pushing the appropriate button.

Greg Claassen
Good timing Bob! I purchased an MP3-Tech and it arrived about a week ago. Before that, I was using a MiCue to control my iPod. They went out of business last year and the unit recently started acting up, so I contacted Kerry. Here are my impressions/comparison...

The MiCue was smaller, but I had to carry an iPod and in most cases a direct box to plug into other sound systems. The MP3-Tech is larger, about the size of a half rack wireless microphone receiver. It is much more rugged and much better quality. (Inside and out*) I no longer have to deal with the iPod, direct box and extra power cords/connectors. It will also save me from having to think about charging my iPod before shows.

The MP3-Tech sets up quickly and the video on Kerry's site is an accurate look at the unit and operation. The remote has a greater range than I will probably ever need. The ankle straps take a bit of getting used to if you go that route.

I like my music to start, fade out and then cue to the next song. The MP3-Tech can do that, but the ankle straps limited me to starting and pausing my music. Since I didn't want to worry with hitting a remote button, I contacted Kerry to see if there was a work around. He burnt a new chip that solved my problem and sent it out within a day. GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE! He included simple instructions with photographs that gave me the confidence to open the unit, replace the chip and get the unit working immediately vs. sending it back for the change. * - That is how I know the inside is quality workmanship.

I didn't bother getting the display. I don't use much music and have no desire to jump around a play list. If it provides you with peace of mind, I can see where Greg's set up would be helpful. I will be keeping printouts of my playlists in my case so I can remember which is which. The computer software does that with a click of a button.

The remote function capabilities of the unit are amazing. I plan on adding some new features to my act based on those.

The only downside to the MP3-tech that I have noticed is a light, "airy" hissing sound that emits when the unit cues to the next track. I doubt the audience would even register it, but I do. To be fair, I haven't used it with my performance sound system yet - so it may be isolated to my test set up. If not, I'll probably talk with Kerry about it.

Based on my past experience with the MiCue, plus my testing and practices with the MP3-Tech, I know I'm going to be very happy with the purchase. If you have any other questions, please ask.

Tom
[quote]
On 2010-02-28 21:57, Bob Baker wrote:
I'm considering buying one of Kerry Pollock's MP3-Tech units, and I'd be curious to hear from users of that or any other automated show controllers. I want to be able to control music cues hands free.

Looking forward to your input.

Thanks.

Bob:

I've had an Mp3Tech for about 3 years. Top quality components, flawless operation and great customer service. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Doug

Bob
[/quote]
You guys are the best!

Thanks so much for your help. I think I'm going to bite the proverbial bullet.

Bob
Hey Bob,
Go for it I have one and it's great. I use it with my Remote Toucan and it never lets me down.
Well worth it!

Louis
Where can I buy it (website)
http://www.theceswebsite.com/
While I'm here, I wanted to make an update. The "airy" hiss I was getting with my MP3-Tech was actually radio signal being picked up by my Anchor system. Apparently it only happens with Anchor. When I've tied into a house system there was no problem.

I now run the unit into a direct box and convert the signal to low impedence. The hiss was eliminated. Kerry was extremely helpful with this, his customer service is tops.
Tom
This might be a naive question, but does this hook up to an Ipod or do you directly place the music on the system? I'm considering buying, sounds like a great system
No Ipod used with the MP3 Tech. Your music must be converted to an mp3 file and loaded onto the memory card that slips into the unit. You can find out more on their web site.

After several months of using this system, I love it. The only thing I hate is having to change a playlist on the fly. It can be done, but it is a pain without the additional display that Kerry sells. I will probably end up buying one of those in the near future.
Someone mentioned having to use a software application to manage the playlists. Does anyone know if this software can be used on a MAC? Or is it necessary to use Kerry's software at all?
I believe Kerry has it for the Mac. Its available for download on his site. Based on the way the playlists are assembled, I believe you'd have to use his software.
Looks like a great product and perfect for my bigger shows... does anyone use it with say, smaller birthday type shows? I do close to a couple hundred or so of those a year and would hate to find out it's too clunky compared to the iTouch (with the Opus Music App running music) on it.

Secondly, I do a summer show at a theme park. Currently my assistant runs music from backstage and it works fine. I could certainly give her less duties and take better control of the music for those inevitable moments of needing to do so.

Just trying to get some background before I spend $1600.00. Comments?
[quote]
On 2010-10-03 09:10, idomagic wrote:
Looks like a great product and perfect for my bigger shows... does anyone use it with say, smaller birthday type shows? I do close to a couple hundred or so of those a year and would hate to find out it's too clunky compared to the iTouch (with the Opus Music App running music) on it.

Secondly, I do a summer show at a theme park. Currently my assistant runs music from backstage and it works fine. I could certainly give her less duties and take better control of the music for those inevitable moments of needing to do so.

Just trying to get some background before I spend $1600.00. Comments?
[/quote]
Chad:

I did a show last week for 25 people in a very small room and used my Mp3Tech. It's a very small piece of equipment and works flawlessly.

I also think you'll find that is it unnecessary for your assistant to run your music. You'lll be able to do taht very easily, hands free, with the Mp3Tech.

Doug
Kerry and CES are amazing and his stuff is highly recommended. We are involved with CES on their MediaStar product with a special Axtell Version which can now work with the Axtell Hands-Free Puppets.... so if you end up wanting to to do vent with multiple characters in your show, you can have 3-4 Axtell characters interacting with MediaStar. http://www.axtell.com/remotemagic.html Ax
Does anybody worry about using music in their act? The way the record companies are going after file sharing sites and YouTube content, it has renewed my fear that if I use music or sing in my act and I become slightly well-known I'm going to get hit with license fees.

Does anybody use any kind of service for music clearance?

Dave
Hi,
with the new "media star" coming out from CES, I'm hoping someone will be upgrading and want to sell their old "mp3tech" Does anyone have a suggestion as to where the best place to buy this "mp3tech" would be?

I've tried magicauction.com, and only see the old mini-disc show tech systems.

any suggestions would be most appreciated... Is there a page on magic Café that sells used items? (i didn't see one)
thanks,
JOHN
Message: Posted by: Sock Puppet Monkey (Nov 20, 2010 10:04PM)
I have an MP3 Tech and it works perfectly. I think the CES is more than must of us need but not knowing your show.