(Close Window)
Topic: seeking advice for first solo illusion
What do all you experienced illusionists reccommend for a solo illusion. I don't do any large illusions and am interested in adding one to my show. Does anyone perform anything from Andew Maynes Solo-X book? Can you reccommend any books or illusions? I'm just starting to do research on this so any pointers you could give me would be great! Thanks.

Soup
In book Andew Maynes Solo-X book absolutely small illusions are described not. :spinningcoin:
For a dramatic solo starter (providing you can find a willing volunteer from the audience, of course), a wrist chopper works pretty well, and they are fairly cheap to buy!

James.
I was thinking of things larger than a wrist chopper. I am aware of things like a chair suspention, but not much else. I guess a head chopper is more the size I'm thinking of. I was hoping there would be experienced illusionists who could point me in the direction of good illusions that might not be as common as the chair suspention.
When in doubt...use a sub-trunk. Use the Pendragon handling. Total amazement for as much as you want to spend on construction.
Are you familiar with base type apparatus? You can do more with bases in the long run imo...
One show you appear, next show you vanish etc... You get my point?
Hope that helps...

:online:
Please don't use Backroomboy's suggestion and steal the Pendragon handling on the sub trunk. Jonathon spent a long time perfecting that technique, and unless you have asked and received permission to use it, it is not yours for the taking.

Magicsoup, the chair suspension is an excellent first illusion for a solo show. As are items like, Dagger Head Chest, Abbott's Arrowhead, Straitjacket (not a larger prop per se, but it plays bigger), comedy Escape Shackle routine, etc...

Good luck and let us know how it goes...
I personally love the chair suspension.

Is awesome in my opinion...
I don't qualify as experienced but I did take the Sawing Thru a Woman (The one with the Black & Decker Saber Saw and constructed a matching table for it.

I used legs from a standard 6 foot utility table so they coud be folded up into the base and used some brass clasp hardware so the waist stock could be quickly clamped into posoition after my audience victim..I mean volunteer was lying down.

It was painted to match the stock. It took a relatively small illusionette and put it into the larger scale illusion class. At least it did so in the minds of the audience.

Hope this helps.
Hey everybody thanks for replying. I've done a little bit of research on the net and have thought about Bisection or Shrink Boy by Andrew Mayne. I like the idea of a audience member levitating and taking a polaroid of them. A great momento! What about the barstool levitation. I'm hesitant about the chair suspention, not because I don't like it, but because other people in my area do it already.
Magicsoup:
First of all wht is your budget in the show for you to add an illusion. There are several one manned illusons that are great to be doing but are expensive.
Second of all are you going to be rolling the cabinents on and off of stage? You going to be setting up curtains and your own sound or going to an area that has all of this for you? What is your style so that a illusion with out an assistant would look natural to you.
I can tell you from experience that you have to,literally, map out the stage for where everything will go,be able to keep the audiences attention while you are running props both on and off the stage, and keep the magic happeingn a steady rate. There have been some interesting suggestions so far and some are great and others....well not so great or no matter what they still need an assistant. Such as the sub-trunk. If you want email me and we can talk more bout one manned illusion. I do a one manned illusoin show that I have to set it up, perform, and tear down by myself. I do have some substantial props and others that are being developed currently. The sky is the limit on this but is not a easy thing. Best of luck!

Robert Long
May your dreams be touched by magic!

JinxTJester@juno.com
What is shrink boy?