(Close Window)
Topic: Interesting finds at Michael's Craft Store
While at Michael's Craft store I came across some interesting props someone may find of use.

Both items were by Tim Holtz idea-ology.

The first item was called Word Keys. It consists of 7 aged keys with words on them: Love, Life, Journey, Secret,
Memory, Heart and Dream. Each was a different size, 3 or 4 of the keys were a Skeleton type and the other 3
are more modern keys. Al made of metal.

The second item was called Muse Tokens. There are 12 about quarter size. Each has a word on them and a letter cut-out. The words are Excellence, Journey, Significant, Genuine, Knowledge, Thoughts, Courageous, Lifetime, Moment, Wonderful, Forevermore and Unique.

Here's a link to his catalog: http://www.timholtz.com/findings.htm

Many other interesting things.
Here's a link to the keys at Walmart:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tim-Holtz-Idea-Ology-Word-Keys-7-Pkg-Antique/10881209

Muse Tokens:
http://store.scrapbook.com/ch-th92676.html
Nice finds.
Those are cool.
It's not bizarre, but I found some great tokens that are : "good for one birthday wish," needless to say they will soon be a part of my birthday shows.
Take a good look through his catalog.
As usual, not available in the U.K. SUCKS !
PSYSHADOW,

Do a search for Tim Holtz. I'm sure you can find some online site who ships to the UK.

Or ask someone you know in the US to buy it and ship it to you.
Motown,

Thanks. Tried that, so far nothing.

Oh to live in the States ! I wish !

BOBBY.
Bobby

I'll have a look as well and see what I can find.

Craig
Bobby

I'll have a look as well and see what I can find.

Craig
Great stuff. I can easily make up a couple of good effects with this. Thanks for the heads up.
Thanks Craig, much appreciated !

BOBBY.
Here's two stores that ship to the UK

http://www.scrapbook.com/

http://shop.scrapbooks.com/ch-th92676.html

check shipping info on their web pages.
For those of you that have Michaels' store in the area, they usually have an ad in the Sunday paper with a 40% Off one item coupon. You can also go on their website for the coupon and save a lot of money.
You could tie in those advantus tokens with some CR and/or WA.

Great find motown!!
Just picked the keys up for $6 plus tax using the coupon.
Message: Posted by: SpellbinderEntertainment (Mar 15, 2010 01:06PM)
What we magicians sometimes forget, is that if an item is available at huge chains like WalMart and Michael’s Crafts, they are quite ubiquitous, and must be seen as common or everyday items, and not claimed as “rare’ or an “artifact”.

Too often I’ve seen something that could be picked up at Walgreens or Target which the magician tries to pass off as “his grandfather’s old ------“ or an “antique I brought back from my travels to ------”.

Only if you can re-make, re-think and disguise, a prop successfully (such as the brilliant Ed Solomon can) may you then claim it to be original or an artifact.

There are many interesting props out there, but if we see them, it’s likely our audiences will to, and it’s best not to be caught with your pants down when trying to weave an odd and original tale.

My two-cents,
Walt
Or as we often say, "Buy it so that we can paint it flat black and then re-detail it." :)

An object also doesn't have to be old or mystical to be a part of a good routine or story. I could see the keys being used to assign attributes, or maybe to divine the person with the strongest of one particular personality trait. They could be tokens from a child's game or reminders given by a loved one.

Sometimes we get too caught up in the ancient and forget that wonder can also exist in the present.

Chris

P.S.--I've purchased more magic props at Michael's over the past 10 years than I have at magic shops.
Well said Chris.

I like to see possibilities.

I think, when you take something out of the context in which it's normally seen and place it
into a new one, it will be perceived as something different.

I find when I keep an open mind, many wonderful ideas flow forth.
I for one LOVE the set of word keys! I'm thinking maybe a lovely equivoque routine (seven is perfect), or they pick one from a bag and I do a brief reading, or a stunning booktest word force (their randomly chosen word is on the key around my neck), or a contact mindreading routine, etc. They don't have to be old or rare--as long as they are this beautiful! (Of course, I am a huge sucker for keys and boxes...)

Thanks for this find, motown!

Seth
Just a quickie, the keys, as far as I'm aware are not solid - they are embossed metal so one side will be concave...
Since I am on a tight budget going to the Williams Magic store in Tucson has had to decrease to one every month -- or two

Now I have to stay away from Wal-Mart and Michaels as well since you guys started pointing out ways to use all this stuff in the craft sections. That is because they always have unique boxes of some type -- and it is up to me to figure out what they will do ---
Lebanoncircle,

I bought a package of the keys and they're whole keys.
They appear the way a key should appear. Hope that helps.
Hi Craig,

Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately they want $20.50 postage on top of the price, so I don't think I'll bother.

Thanks again,

BOBBY.
Thank Motown, that's always prevented me from buying them in the past - I#ll be purchasing a set!
[quote]
On 2010-03-15 14:50, handa wrote:
An object also doesn't have to be old or mystical to be a part of a good routine or story.
Sometimes we get too caught up in the ancient and forget that wonder can also exist in the present.

Chris
[/quote]

That reminded me of the first time I saw Jim Gerrish performing Sefalaljia with a plastic crate from the Dollar Store. His story was that he was walking in the crowded aisles of the Dollar Store when this little plastic crate fell on his head. He put it back and it jumped right down again. After doing this several times, he decided that the crate might be haunted, bought it, and took it home to examine it more carefully.

I was giggling to myself when I heard the story, but the audience ate it up. Apparently weird things happen to others in crowded Dollar Stores and I overheard several people talking about similar experiences to one another after his performance (OK, so I eavesdropped!). The dark, spooky forests and caves of the past follow us into the spooky corners of our own modern world.
I usually have a blast at Michaels looking for odds and ends. I love their small bottles and vases, for example.

Another great place to look for unusual, exotic, and affordable bizarre goodies is "Home Goods" stores. If you have one nearby, check it out. They're nothing like a boring old "Linens 'n' Things", which is what I thought at first. Home Goods has some really neat stuff.
Don't forget Hobby Lobby. They have a ton of stuff.
I saw a lot of the Tim Holtz products on eBay for those of you who don't have stores that sell it in the area. May also have better shipping prices.

Type in: Tim Holtz ideaology in the search.
Thanks for that !

Just got a set of word keys on ebay for approx $18.

Cheers,

BOBBY.
Always remember the craft stores generally have a 40% off any single item coupon available every week.

Also the craft stores generally accept their competitors coupons too.

This site always has the weekly coupons available to print.
http://www.mycraftcoupons.com/
Some people are are outside the USA and don't have access to the coupon or stores.
Just received my set after ordering from WalMart online, for ten bucks. They are absolutely beautiful! They'll come in handy for a variety of routines. Thanks again for the heads up!

Seth
Michael's sells a great glass and wood display case for football helmets. Perfect to display a Doug Highly Zibit!
[quote]
On 2010-03-15 22:17, Seth speaks wrote:
I for one LOVE the set of word keys! I'm thinking maybe a lovely equivoque routine (seven is perfect), or they pick one from a bag and I do a brief reading, or a stunning booktest word force (their randomly chosen word is on the key around my neck), or a contact mindreading routine, etc. They don't have to be old or rare--as long as they are this beautiful! (Of course, I am a huge sucker for keys and boxes...)
[/quote]
I just discovered these keys while searching for something else and I was just about to post a very similar idea. Gotta love the new and improved Search feature on the Café! :)
[quote]
On 2014-01-07 17:02, Mind Guerrilla wrote:
[quote]
On 2010-03-15 22:17, Seth speaks wrote:
[/quote]
I just discovered these keys while searching for something else and I was just about to post a very similar idea. Gotta love the new and improved Search feature on the Café! :)
[/quote]

These ideas are already in Scott Grossberg's "the seven keys" booklet. He also uses the same keys from Michael's. I don't see the effect available on his site any longer, but he has marketed these ideas with these keys. Just a heads up. . .not trying to start anything!

Jorey
http://www.vinnymarini.com/sevenkeys/
[quote]
On 2014-01-07 20:30, afinemesh wrote:
http://www.vinnymarini.com/sevenkeys/
[/quote]

Sold out. :( I wonder if he means the book or the keys, or both. :(
I'm sure it's the book because the keys are avialable in many different places as noted in this thread!
I love Scott's "The Seven Keys" reading system -- sorry to hear it is sold out. Since the Word Keys and Muse Tokens appeared, Tim Holtz has come out with a lot of things that, while being craft oriented, are of great interest to mentalists and readers, like the Philosophy Tags, and some items that Iain Dunford uses for his wonderful "Tessarula" reading system. I was just at Hobby Lobby today, and they have an entire Tim Holtz section with all kinds of cool stuff.