(Close Window)
Topic: Daring Spring Traps
Two questions that I'm sure have been covered before, but I can't seem to find a thread:

1. Suggestions for "antiquing" the traps so they don't looks so darn new and shiny.

2. What "shatters" the best when placed in the trap (besides a baby's hand).

--Tony
1) Leave in Horse sh@t.

2) Bread Sticks
Pretzels work great.
As for antiquing...Are these Abbots traps or straight out of the sporting goods section?
If out of the sporting goods section...It'll happen on their own. Just leave them outside for a night or two.
If they are the pretty traps from Abbots then attack with a wire brush to scuff the surface and then dab on some rust colored paint (Then wipe it off lightly)
Carrots.
Yup....bright and shiny abbots traps....

Muchas grassy-ass all around!

--T
Zucchini is also inherently funny.
I use chicken bones. Fingers are made of bone not vegetables so I like bones. + they shatter like mad.
I use the tube of a chrystal biro ,explaining that the breaking strain of a human bone is 14LBS per suare inch ( utter toss I know ) and that the trap snaps at 50 lbs per squre inch ( more drivel ....but it plays out well ), and when the pen tube shatters it's superb .
Mark
Ps. I do caution anyone sitting close to shield thier eyes .."we don't want any accidents ,do we ?"
Craft stores (like Michaels) sell a compound that rapidly 'rusts' unburnished steel.
If you want Abbott traps, you can ask them to give you one that hasn't been chromed. It won't take long for it to look evil. Just get it wet, and let it sit around.
Coney Island Chris uses pretzel rods to great effect because they fit in with his comedy and style.

I like something with more of a point.

Michael
Pretzel Sticks. They 'shatter' SAFELY. Plus you can eat 'em.
It seems to me that there are some note about doctoring the appearance of the traps in the Sideshow School notes.

When I was doing the tour of Hoodwinked and performing the three trap monte, I used pretzel sticks spray painted white. I never said they were bones, but that what the audience thought. And they do shatter well and get a good reaction from the crowd.
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Mar 25, 2010 09:52PM)
Resident metal expert speaks:

Get some acid.. battery acid, muriatic acid, phosphoric acid, these are readily available and will work. (Carefully) pour acid into a small cup. Place the trap (or any other metal you want rusty) near and around the cup of acid. Wait overnight. Pretty much anything with iron in it will rust within 2 to 4 inches of the acid. There is a long winded scientific explanation on why this works. I don;t have the time for it right now. Trust me, it works.
2. Performers' Egos when they blow their concentration at the wrong moment in the routine.

1. The natural oxidation process when the traps sit in a corner, neglected after the above happens.
[quote]
On 2010-03-25 21:33, Todd Robbins wrote:
It seems to me that there are some note about doctoring the appearance of the traps in the Sideshow School notes.

When I was doing the tour of Hoodwinked and performing the three trap monte, I used pretzel sticks spray painted white. I never said they were bones, but that what the audience thought. And they do shatter well and get a good reaction from the crowd.
[/quote]

Now I have to go and find my copy of your notes...*grumble* (clutter sloshing around) Hey! Wait a minute, I saw Hoodwinked and your traps were so shiny they should have been on "Pimp my Ride."

BTW Instead of working on aging mine, I got my traps from a retired trapper and nature has done the work for me.

Depending on what you know about traps and what you want to do with them you could always check the outdoor/sportsman shops like Gander Mountain and Cabela's. And I would trust Gwyd when he said they rust easily.

Michael
Size 1 1/2
When I did Hoodwinked, I needed the traps to look identical because of the nature of the routine, that why those were not doctored. Others I have used have needed a bit of primer and black paint misted on them. It's very simple and doesn't rough up the exterior of the metal. And one more thing, a Abbott's daring spring trap with a little primer/black paint on it looks better on TV than a trap that is really rusty. So there.
[quote]
On 2010-03-25 16:08, gsidhe wrote:
Pretzels work great.

[/quote]

What even the cinnamon coated soft ones? mmmmmm at last something GOOD to come out of America! (Only joking You also gave the world ..... erm...... leaving it to the last minute to join in so you can see who is winning [too Political?]

….Oh and you gave us the Flexible Urethral Catheter in (1752 )

….. oh and crackers (1792 )

….. oh and refrigeration (1805), well that last one is NOT surprising as we all know (and this is not at all a stereotypical point of view) Americans eat more food than any other nation so need to keep big stock piles for personal consumption – hence the need for a massive fridge!) PLEASE realise I am only JOKING.
Sorry to post two in a row .... but someone I think Michael K used a line about “pimp my ride”. It strikes me that there could be quite a funny routine there with pimped up traps? It would not suit everyone’s presentation – but you know …. I think it could be fun...

[quote]
On 2010-03-25 22:52, thegreatnippulini wrote:
Resident metal expert speaks: ……..

. I don;t have the time for it right now. Trust me, it works.
[/quote]

Ok so the explanation of it is this…… the acid contains scientific particles that we in the science community like to call “Rust fairies”. When you mix the mentioned acids together the “rust fairies” get together for a drinking session. In inevitably they get schlozled and end up sleeping with each other and playing raucous games. They run round pulling pranks on anyone near by. They make their metal items rust so that parts will break when least expected and cause the most damage!

So don’t go leaving the trap in the vicinity of the acid for too long!

MM I am so good at this science teaching! I wonder why I was pushed out of the school I used to teach at?
I think it was better when we were missing him ! Don`t you !
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Mar 26, 2010 09:23AM)
Uh... yeah... "rust fairies"... I think that is a reference to the gay heavy metal scene.
Pedestrians.
Jay walkers or the legal type that use cross walks?
I just got used actual animal traps off of ebay rather than Abbott's magicky chrome ones. They even smelled rank and had some fur attached. I think I bought 5 for $25 bucks.
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Mar 26, 2010 12:47PM)
Here's the real science... d#mn the pedestrian jay walking rust faeries.

The acid evaporates from the cup. It doesn't go too far, it the goes through diffusion as it settles onto the metal. Combined with the oxygen in the air it rapidly corrodes the metal. Now, if you immerse metals (especially rusty oxidized metal) in an acid bath it actually cleans it, not rusting it, so don't do that. If you live by any ocean just leave it outside for a few days. Pretty much the same effect causes the rapid oxidation.

Or, just buy some nice ol' used ones that have some real character.
What do you know? You think you are some sort of "blacksmith" or something?! Yeesh. Know-it-alls!
I have one chrome one and one old one. I use the old one for adult gigs now and the chrome one I used when I did kid shows. It was part of my spring animal routine. If I was doing the Higley monte routine I would buy all Abbott's so they match, as Todd pointed out already.

I am bed ridden with a mashed up leg so I have time on my hands to dribble on the pain meds help.
[quote]
On 2010-03-27 00:11, Rotten wrote:
I am bed ridden with a mashed up leg so I have time on my hands to dribble on the pain meds help.
[/quote]

So you beleive me about the rust fairies then?
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Mar 27, 2010 07:34AM)
You Brits, going on about your rust faeries, schilling trolls, mid earth, gloems and such. When you are ready to join the rest of the world and enjoy reality, let us know.

BTW, "reality" includes WMDs, suicide bombers, religious heretics, health care reform, and Dave Matkin.
[quote]
On 2010-03-27 08:34, thegreatnippulini wrote:
........ gloems........
[/quote]

Are they glow in dark Golems?

[quote]
On 2010-03-27 08:34, thegreatnippulini wrote:
BTW, "reality" includes WMDs, suicide bombers, religious heretics, health care reform, and Dave Matkin.
[/quote]

SH!T count me out I don't want to be stuck with him!

.... oh wait a minute you .... you..... you ..... erm I don't know a word strong enough for what you are! But you are one.....

And a total and utter one at that!! :)
Dave...I'm glad your not doing the Subtitles for Top Gear.
I did not know you were hard of hearing Doug :) I WILL TYPE LARGER FOR YOU! :)

I couldn't keep up with any one for sub titles.... I catn twyp farsed enofe!
Still thinking of the rust question.. I've had to force rust on a few things, and nothing does the job like a chlorine tablet in a covered plastic bucket. Found this out the hard way with a tub of chlorine tablets and a chisel I left in there. It takes only a couple days for some impressive blooms.
Superb! This is the salt water effect, but on steroids. What's salt? Sodium-CHLORIDE... it's the free-ion effect of the chlorides in salt. Chlorine tablets basically fix directly without having to free atomic bonds with sodium.
I was about to read the above post .... but I think I am on Chemistry Café not the magic Café. So I wont bother!

And I thought I had educated you people .... rust fairies .... remember?
Wow, we got the good Doctors very first post! Yeah for rust and show people. Great tip btw. I wondered why my garage shelves had rusted. They are sitting next to the chlorine tablet bucket.
This is an old thread. However, if you want rust/patina mix half and half white vinegar and water in a spray bottle. Spray the trap and you'll have a nice patina in a couple of days.
It is an old thread and the person requesting the advice has had time to just leave one to one side and tarnish nicely by now....

But thanks for the speeded-up method Tweed

:) Think positive thoughts and have a good day...

:)

Anyone coming to Blackpool this year? We had Todd a couple of years ago. It was GREAT!!!
The Café is all about Old threads becoming new again...like an Alexandrian Library that hasn't been destroyed yet by Visigoths (or some such). :-) As for the Traps...I get a request for the Traps-A-Monte-Mental routine a few times a week (free for the asking) so Old Threads are new to somebody somewhere. :-) :-)