(Close Window)
Topic: James Biss...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKaZS5hBBCw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU5ZI3rbQsA&feature=related

Not sure if this has been posted here or not, but here he is in front of "humanists, skeptics and freethinkers" (CFI)...Not magicians. Anywho just more youtube exposure.
He's exposing the MOABT near the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ou-7hGwaKM&feature=related
[quote]
On 2010-04-05 07:06, Nelson Hoofard wrote:

[/quote]

That surprises me. I would imagine as a creator and performer of mentalism he would show more respect for others ideas.

Anthony
I am embarrassed that he comes from my home city!
That's just plain wrong

M
I'm just glad he wasn't giving away any subtleties and psychological gambits that we use like having a spectator begin the "letter guessing" for you. Oh wait. Nevermind. He gave up the goods on that one.

-rob
[quote]
On 2010-04-05 08:05, Anthony Jacquin wrote:
[quote]
On 2010-04-05 07:06, Nelson Hoofard wrote:

[/quote]

That surprises me. I would imagine as a creator and performer of mentalism he would show more respect for others ideas.

Anthony
[/quote]

I am not surprised.
The man has an attitude, ethics and moral that is disputeable, - and that's an understatement.

For a period he ripped of, copied or talked down on pretty much everything that crossed his path, and named most of them his own creations.
Anyone who had read his books will reckognise quite a number of real creators' work.

Sven
Maybe he didn't expect it to be put on youtube?
Also I like how he tries to get these skeptics used to the idea that it can be a good thing to enjoy a magician/mentalism-performance rather then always be after the secret explanations.

best,

Lexa
I'm quiet disappointed. As Lexa said, maybe he didn't expect it to go on youtube.

Daren
I think that any one with half a brain nowadays expects to be put on you tube if they lecture.
True integrity is displayed when no one is watching.

-rob
Rob, you just blew my mind!!! :) Bravo!!
He is a rip off merchant - he steals ideas to sell as his own. Its not suprising he would sell out to skeptics for a few dollars.

Yet many on here support him. Its beyond me.
[quote]
On 2010-04-05 09:17, necroloid wrote:
I think that any one with half a brain nowadays expects to be put on you tube if they lecture.
[/quote]

Maybe that's where he fails. Half a brain seems like a lot to ask for.
[quote]
On 2010-04-05 09:34, necroloid wrote:
Rob, you just blew my mind!!! :) Bravo!!
[/quote]

Must give credit where credit is due. I saw this on Lemniscate's signature. Not sure where he got it from or if it's his own, but I felt it was appropriate for this thread.

-rob
Well, there you go. A lot of us attacked him when he first came out for stealing ideas. We were told that we were jealous of him.

He is a THIEF!!! When are you guys going to get it. Do you fanboys get it now? Do see why a large group here were against him? How many more clues will you need to see his true colors?

Greg
It seems that it is James Biss's personal choice to not try to please magicians. I think this is well documented, I don't think it should come as a suprise that this is out there. James puts good stuff out but I don't think he's one of those guys that's tapped in to the magic community. Sadly a lot of buyers don't care about the ethics of creators they just want good stuff. One can only look at the success of magic makers to see that. BTW I am not in any way comparing James Biss to MM. I am simply saying that J. Biss simply does his own thing and doesn't seem to worry about anyone else.
I for one have never purchased anything with James' name attached.

After this I don't plan to, and encourage others to do the same.

The only way to combat exposure and theft is to stop supporting exposers and thieves...

One a side note -- James is a consultant on Haim Goldbergs' "Gold Mind" TV show here in Canada. I also plan on boycotting that program...

dispicable.

J
I didn't expect that. Disgusting. But we've seen in the past always people explaining in public things they didn't invent. They are simply poor thieves. Unfortunately thieves can't explain what they invented as they are too simple minded to invent anything. Jan
This should not be on YouTube!

James Biss should do everything to take it from YouTube a.s.a.p.
(James I know you read this…)
It's one thing to educate people on the psychology and general principles of fake psychics, but other than the spoon bending most of what Biss needlessly exposed came out of the repertoires of working mentalists, not phony psychics.

Biss seems desperate to be seen as an "authority" and an "expert" to people who think they are “in the know.” They aren’t as Biss isn’t exposing anything that phony psychics use. Thus we have Biss, claiming to expose "psychic cons" is himself conning the skeptics who don’t know any better. This presentation served no purpose except to push the undeserving "career" of Biss.
Wonder if purchasers of his item could launch a lawsuit...
[quote]
On 2010-04-05 11:05, Dr. Eamon wrote:
This should not be on YouTube!

James Biss should do everything to take it from YouTube a.s.a.p.
(James I know you read this…)
[/quote]
Honestly, I don't think he cares.

I just looked him up, and he seems to be all over YouTube more or less exposing every principle of the trade.
One thing is what he does for the gathering in the links above,that's serious enough, another thing is a number of clips recorded in some kind of a club or café.
(I opened just a couple of them.)

I don't know what motivation he has for doing this.
-Except for being out of his mind, and for the money of course.
A tactic I suggested back in the bad old days of the Masked Magician was that every performer in the US who owned a Zig Zag file a small claims case in their jurisdiction against Fox and the production company for the value of their presumably now-useless prop.

It would have been easy enough to arrange by Internet for everyone to file on the same day.

Had this happened it would have required Fox to respond to hundreds of locally-filed suits costing them time and money. It was unlikely that plaintiffs would win but it would require Fox to defend itself in dozens if not hundreds of small claims jurisdictions. It is possible it would have made Fox think twice about going forward with the next MM special.

No one followed my suggestion but plenty of magicians publicly whined and complained, which gave Fox and the MM reams of free publicity.
[quote]
On 2010-04-05 10:38, JanForster wrote:
I didn't expect that. Disgusting. But we've seen in the past always people explaining in public things they didn't invent. They are simply poor thieves. Unfortunately thieves can't explain what they invented as they are too simple minded to invent anything. Jan
[/quote]

Maybe I´m a old fashion but I feel a little pain every time I see mentalism been revealed on YouTube or TV and unfortunately this happens more and more.
[quote]
Maybe I´m a old fashion but I feel a little pain every time I see mentalism been revealed on YouTube or TV and unfortunately this happens more and more.
[/quote]

You're not old fashion. That pain you feel tells you that you're one of the few that actually cares about this art.

-rob
I'm reminded of the page in "Greater Magic" for hanging exposers in effigy.

This presentation served no useful purpose. It appears to have been posted by the group he was lecturing. I doubt they have any interest in removing them.
This happens more and more these days especially in the Netherlands:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=359472&forum=15#0

Not funny...
I lost respect for Biss several years ago when he stole items for his first book. He also revealed methods, not his own, in his first book.

As Sven pointed out, Biss doesn't care. He loves the controversy and enjoys spitting in our collective eye.

I have always dissuaded people from dealing with him.
We should take heart in that the counter that indicates how many times the video has been clicked on reports that they've been looked at 167 times. That's probably double the number of people who were in his audience and doesn't indicate how many people watched Biss' "mind numbing" mentalism all the way through.

As there's nothing we can do to stop him as he clearly doesn't care what the community thinks, he should be ignored. That means people should not buy his products, his books, or pay any attention to him at all. Getting upset will only raise out collective blood pressure and frustrate us as there's nothing we can do except ignore him and not support his work.
So where are the Biss supporters now? C'mon guys, you were quick to defend him when many of us spoke up about his stealing of other performer's material for his books. You all bragged about how wonderful James was, even thanking him for releasing the material. What say you?
[quote]
On 2010-04-05 12:31, Domino Magic wrote:
So where are the Biss supporters now? C'mon guys, you were quick to defend him when many of us spoke up about his stealing of other performer's material for his books. You all bragged about how wonderful James was, even thanking him for releasing the material. What say you?
[/quote]

They're not around anymore. They all drank his Kool-Aid.

Greg
[quote]
On 2010-04-05 12:31, Domino Magic wrote:
[/quote]

I don't know about "supporter" but I have several of his works and products and use them on regular basis.
I'm certainly not happy about these videos being posted... particularly about the workings of his own products... nor could I think of any performer who would.

And I think if the original poster geniunely cared about exposure he'd edit his post and have the link to the videos removed.
[quote]
And I think if the original poster genuinely cared about exposure he'd edit his post and have the link to the videos removed.
[/quote]
I think it should stay so you can all see what a sleazebag he really is. The traffic here at least have an interest in magic.

There really isn't much Biss can claim as his "own".
The op cannot edit his post. You lose edit abilities if someone posted after you or after 15 minutes if no one has responded yet
Any use us creating a petition to send to all e-shops that sell his stuff? telling him we'll boycott unless they stop selling his stuff - or is that as likely to happen as Biss himself to realise what he's doing is wrong?
This run of videos should put to rest any last doubts on exposure.

Doesn't seem to be any reason for not subbing unimportant methods to make his points.
Iain shops don't care so long as there are buyers. Stop buying "his" stuff. And don't let him breath if you see him on forums like this. If you are near him physically punch out his lights.
Message: Posted by: MentalistCreationLab (Apr 5, 2010 01:35PM)
It is all, so very sad!
[quote]
On 2010-04-05 12:14, David Alexander wrote:

As there's nothing we can do to stop him as he clearly doesn't care what the community thinks, he should be ignored. That means people should not buy his products, his books, or pay any attention to him at all. Getting upset will only raise out collective blood pressure and frustrate us as there's nothing we can do except ignore him and not support his work.
[/quote]
David

Of course you are right.
Continuing this doesn't result in anything except for frustration and waste of time.
Ignoring James Biss and "his" material is probably the best way here.

-and I guess there are enough "I hate James Biss posts" on the Café for the point to being made for a long time.

Just forget him.
Regardless of what he has done/is doing, life moves on.
-and magic too.

Sven
Im so glad this video is posted, I saw it months ago, none of what I do is based off of anything Biss does, so I couldn't care less.

This video would only be of concern to the people who use the material he exposed, so, maybe instead of crying about it, you can re-direct your mis-spent energy on inventing NEW things he doesent know about, and therefore cant expose.

so what he exposed the circle/tri force, so did Martin Gardner and so did Ray Hyman over 30 years ago!

so what he exposed his board, I will never use a store/internet bought prop, so if you do, maybe hide it in something new or different.

Oh well, Im glad people like this expose generic garbage that everyone else uses, it FORCES people to evolve, grow, and continue creating new presentations & techniques!
I've never bought any of his stuff...heard some second hand horror stories from people I trust about him, as less as the threads on here...

@stashu - is it ever fair for one man to decide whats right to expose "for the good of the rest of the mentalism community"?
Hey, Biss!

Come to England. We'd really like to repay the favour!

******!
[quote]
On 2010-04-05 15:01, stashu wrote:
[snip]
so what he exposed his board, I will never use a store/internet bought prop, so if you do, maybe hide it in something new or different.

Oh well, Im glad people like this expose generic garbage that everyone else uses, it FORCES people to evolve, grow, and continue creating new presentations & techniques!
[/quote]

It's my understanding that Biss knocked off the Buma Board so it's not "his board." Further, I wouldn't say the Buma Board and the Mother of All Book Tests are "generic garbage."

It takes a long time and a lot of effort to develop a new idea or technique and even longer to work that insight into a successful presentation. Biss has no right to cavalierly toss the hard work of others into the trash.
Exposure, in any form, is disrespectful to the entire community that has worked so hard to create the effects. I am disappointed in the way Biss has handled this.

Regards,
Mike
What is happening to our art? It seems commercial fees draw people into exposure. The dollar speaks loud and clear. Last months gadget show in the uk did the same thing for iforce, rendering it useless.What a great app until now. My nephew yesterday said "wanna see a cool trick?" This item along with MOAB is reduced to a trick! These people are not interested in magic and everything is becoming trivualised.
Hey all,

I sent an email to Mr. Biss expressing my concern about the videos and he was prompt with his reply.
I know this won't dowse the flames, nor am I interested in coming in the middle of this, I have friends with strong opinions both ways on Mr. Biss...

This is from an email he forward to me to some one else who was expressing their concerns too:

Thanks for taking the time to write me and express your intelligent concerns about the YouTube Videos and yet another debate on the Magic Café.

Let me share a couple of things from my perspective that may help. They may restore your faith in me. Perhaps not. But here they are...

First, the performance and lecture were for an elite group of scientists and scholars in my home city. There were a few magicians in the audience as well. I received a donation to my favourite charity for the lecture and I did not authorize it to be video taped. They did so and when I inquired afterwards I was told it was for their archives. This is James Randi's foundation, it seemed like a complimentary request!

Second, the performance and the lecture was great, if I do say so myself. It was dumbed down for the crowd in terms of revelations, but all in all a great night that magicians and hobbyists all over the world have enjoyed variations of. I thought I did a good balance of reveals and psychology and most of all philosophy. (I think most performers today would benefit by vieweing it, but it was for an intellectual group of debunkers. Not layman.)

Thirdly, a while after the entire video showed up as a Torrent. Around the world, without any control on my part, my entire presentation could be downloaded. For Free. This continues. If you do a torrent search there are now dozens of servers with the entire piece. With no compensation or consent for or by me. I have no way of shutting this down.

Fourth, soon after this I discovered the YouTube videos of the same content put up by James Randi's foundation. Not by me. I complained, agressively. I demanded that at the very least, clips 8 through 10 be removed as I was okay with the performance and early lecture portion as it was essentially already in the public domain as a torrent. CFI blamed a (former?) employee's judgement lapse, Clips 8 through 10 were taken down.

Fifth, until your e-mail today, I had no idea that 8 through 10 were back up. I very much regret this as the material is too good for the masses (or couple of hundred people or less who apparently have watched it. who are probably magicians as it hasn't gone viral, but could)

Six, I will write CFI after this and ask them to once again remove 8 through 10. I have no idea if they will comply or whether this will remain down. Unfortunately I have no control of this. (I suppose I can complain to YouTube for breach of my commercial intellectual property?)

Regardless, the whole thing remains out on Torrents around the globe.

I'm pleased with the performance and lecture, after watching again just now. Sorry it's freely available to anyone to watch. Certainly it's totality. That was never my intent or was consented by me.

Regretably, in 2010, this is the reality of the Internet. Thank goodness, the content is as good as it is. I'm sorry that there is nothing in it for me than the growth of my beloved art.

I'm going to avoid wading into the craziness of the Magic Café and the handful who like to stir up debate. I really don't have the time to get involved in that sink hole. The quality of the material and its popularity speaks for itself. (With the exception of my new and wonderful Remote Control Change Packs, I'm sold out and out of print of everything. I must be doing something right and desireable. I've had no reviews of late or ads.)

Say hi to the gang on the Café. I wish them well! Share any of the above if you wish to those with open minds.

Thanks John for your support and encouragement. I hope this addresses at least some of your concerns.

Warm regards,

James

...and?
[quote]
On 2010-04-05 16:46, dmoses wrote:
I sent an email to Mr. Biss expressing my concern about the videos and he was prompt with his reply.

First, the performance and lecture were for an elite group of scientists and scholars in my home city. There were a few magicians in the audience as well. I received a donation to my favourite charity for the lecture and I did not authorize it to be video taped. They did so and when I inquired afterwards I was told it was for their archives. This is James Randi's foundation, it seemed like a complimentary request!

Second, the performance and the lecture was great, if I do say so myself. It was dumbed down for the crowd in terms of revelations, but all in all a great night that magicians and hobbyists all over the world have enjoyed variations of. I thought I did a good balance of reveals and psychology and most of all philosophy. (I think most performers today would benefit by vieweing it, but it was for an intellectual group of debunkers. Not layman.)

Thirdly, a while after the entire video showed up as a Torrent. Around the world, without any control on my part, my entire presentation could be downloaded. For Free. This continues. If you do a torrent search there are now dozens of servers with the entire piece. With no compensation or consent for or by me. I have no way of shutting this down.

Fourth, soon after this I discovered the YouTube videos of the same content put up by James Randi's foundation. Not by me. I complained, agressively. I demanded that at the very least, clips 8 through 10 be removed as I was okay with the performance and early lecture portion as it was essentially already in the public domain as a torrent. CFI blamed a (former?) employee's judgement lapse, Clips 8 through 10 were taken down.

Fifth, until your e-mail today, I had no idea that 8 through 10 were back up. I very much regret this as the material is too good for the masses (or couple of hundred people or less who apparently have watched it. who are probably magicians as it hasn't gone viral, but could)

Six, I will write CFI after this and ask them to once again remove 8 through 10. I have no idea if they will comply or whether this will remain down. Unfortunately I have no control of this. (I suppose I can complain to YouTube for breach of my commercial intellectual property?)

Regardless, the whole thing remains out on Torrents around the globe.

I'm pleased with the performance and lecture, after watching again just now. Sorry it's freely available to anyone to watch. Certainly it's totality. That was never my intent or was consented by me.

Regretably, in 2010, this is the reality of the Internet. Thank goodness, the content is as good as it is. I'm sorry that there is nothing in it for me than the growth of my beloved art.

I'm going to avoid wading into the craziness of the Magic Café and the handful who like to stir up debate. I really don't have the time to get involved in that sink hole. The quality of the material and its popularity speaks for itself. (With the exception of my new and wonderful Remote Control Change Packs, I'm sold out and out of print of everything. I must be doing something right and desireable. I've had no reviews of late or ads.)

Say hi to the gang on the Café. I wish them well! Share any of the above if you wish to those with open minds.

Thanks John for your support and encouragement. I hope this addresses at least some of your concerns.

Warm regards,

James

[/quote]

Uh, no.

CFI (Center For Inquiry)is NOT a James Randi Foundation. It is also not a branch of CFI Transnational, but is a local organization. Nor is it an elite group of scientists and scholars, although there are some very qualified professionals and academics on CFI Canada's Advisory Fellows: http://www.cficanada.ca/about/cfi_canada_advisory_fellows_board_of_directors

It is an organization with membership open to anyone with a similar, rationalist point of view.

It appears that James was performing for the Toronto organization, CFI Canada.

I've written Randi to get his "take" on James' comments re: Randi's involvement in posting the videos.

- entity
...I also thought the randi stuff was off.

Thanks for clearing that up Tom.

J
The Center for Inquiry (CFI) is NOT James Randi's organization. It is the successor organization to CSICOP when it merged with the Coucil for Secular Humanism. See Wikipedia's entry where the organization's history is laid out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_for_Inquiry

James Randi's organization is JREF, the James Randi Educational Foundation.

This particular file was uploaded as a torrent in late November, 2008 in 4.66GB. It's a large file that doesn't seem to be particularly popular as I saw one site that noted it had been downloaded 10 times and another 23. It was uploaded by an anonymous source.
Yep, keep drinking his Kool-aid. When he first published his book he had to re-edit it from all the complaints about his stealing.

Then the IMB board. Everyone who had a Buma knew this was nothing new. Of course, Biss had the answer: This was specially made for him by his special team that he always called Oompa-loompas. Then it was shown that some people knew about where the board came from. Once again that oh-so-nice Biss came onto help everyone by coming clean and telling everyone the name of the boards. Of course, he gave the wrong name so when people did a search they couldn't find it.

He knew the name. He knew these things he found were from another industry that used them and at no time did he have a special team manufacture them for him. Finally someone outed him and now everyone knows where to get the boards and know that he added nothing to them except the routine.

I'm sure he'll always have an answer to his shady ways. Step right up! Get another large glass of the marvelous grape Kool-Aid. It will blind you from the truth and help you buy some more "original" product from this fine fellow.

I know too many places and people he has stolen from. No thanks. I'll skip his excuse.

Greg
[quote]the performance and lecture were for an elite group of scientists and scholars[/quote]

So it ok to expose to "elite groups of scientists and scholars" but not to average people? Give me a break. That was totally uncalled for.

Exposure anytime is just that. If you want to illustrate a point use an optical illusion or the colored words or something else that gets the point across without discussing actual methods.

Just my opinions.

Dan
The fact he won't come on here also shows he's hiding for a reason...
I've seen both Banachek and Jamy Ian Swiss lecture for the JREF and NEVER do they expose anything! They use their magic/mentalism to illustrate their points and that is all.

The fact that these exposures are being done in front of a room of skeptics/scientists is absolutely not justified. To make matters worse, the fact that he's revealing things that are not his own creations is simply malicious.

I'm sure that Mr. Biss has complained about his books being uploaded to share sites, but really what's the difference between uploading the actual book or uploading a video with all of the instructions?

It has been said that mystery entertainment is a dying art and it is clear that Mr. Biss has at least one hand on its throat selfishly helping to choke out any remaining life.

-rob
To mis-quote Selma Bouvier: There goes the last vestige of my objectivity.
His justifying e-mail is pathetic. Nothing can rationalize his actions.
>>>>>>>>I'm sure that Mr. Biss has complained about his books being uploaded to share sites, but really what's the difference between uploading the actual book or uploading a video with all of the instructions?<<<<

The majority of the information in his books don't belong to him.
[quote]
[/quote]

Can you substantiate that?
No, he may have others work in his books but I would be suprised that more than 50% of his books are others.
Ted and Mindpunisher:

Do you have James' books?

- entity
[quote]
On 2010-04-05 18:56, Anthony Jacquin wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Um, yes. I have his first book and I know first hand the creators of some of the effects and they are not James Biss'.
First this posting is not to defend James Biss, I only want to share this with all that are interested. As you can read in previous posts and topics I´m 100% against revealing to laymen, especially on YouTube or TV.

That´s why I contacted James and asked him why he did this FOR LAYMEN, and literally wrote: how the **** these video´s could be posted on YouTube. He answered me within two hours with the e-mail that is posted above. But a few minutes later he also send me a copy of all e-mails he corresponded with CFI about the video´s, 8 (long) e-mails to be exactly.

To be short: James wrote to CFI that they were never allowed to make these video´s public and demanded to take them of the internet as a torrent and in a later e-mail from YouTube. CFI promised James to do everything they can to do this, they did as promised and remove the video´s. Today after receiving my e-mail James immediately contacted CFI again to complain that the video´s where posted on YouTube again with the question if they want to remove at least video´s 8 to 10 once again. In a reply the lady promised James to take down the video´s from YouTube, this was her exact reply (without the full names):

-----------------------------------
“Hi James,

Are they up on the youtube site? I'm really sorry that this keeps happening. I know you didn't want the videos up in any way, whatsoever.

I've copied this message to P… (the new me, at CFI), D… (who deals with the media things) and J… (who I'm sure you remember). One of these three can ensure that your videos are taken down and never put online or used publicly again. I hope that they can also get the message out about respecting your intellectual property and requests. I'm positive one of them will confirm with you that this has been done, shortly.

I hope you are well! Take care,

K…”
-----------------------------------

My opinion is that it was wrong to explain the effects to laymen after the show, I still think these people were laymen!

I also believe that this lecture could have been just as much fun without the explanations and so I also told this to James.

It does make a difference for me that it was never his intention to put these video´s in the open and to see that he does take action to get the video´s down a.s.a.p.

What did I learn from all this:

Never trust a magician!

No that was a poor joke, (Dutch humor :) ) But for real: Take care nobody is filming explanations if you do a lecture, or put something on paper and let them sign for it that if the video or parts of it get out in the open (in any way or form) they have to pay big money. I don´t mind if it´s paid to a charity but put it on paper!

I hope someone with better English than me and some knowledge of the law can post an example of such letter for us here at the forum. Thanks already!

Best,
John
James Biss is out spoon feeding the hard work efforts of other to the skeptics and acting like it is his to give away. Wrong. It is very sad though, I imagine he will sell his 666 books to them.
If the skeptics work at finding out things they will appreciate a bit of the the effort, money, time and skills involved and not just be exposing because they can for their ego. Such people as the skeptics say the work is to prevent fraud, but they are being exposed to top class performance pieces, not fraud techniques.
Biss needs to make sure this stuff is removed from youtube.
Rationalizing any type of exposure to non-magician/mentalists let alone allowing it to be videotaped I don't understand at all.
I am surprised, outraged and majorly disappointed at this whole exposure episode.

What was Biss thinking? Shame on you Mr. Biss.

You couldn't stack the money high enough for me to do such an thing.

Kevin
Entity, no I don't have any of his books. Actually this will be funny I was about to buy one but I decided not to because of all the accusatioms on the Café lol.
It appears the links have been taken down. Let's all breathe a sigh of relief that relatively few people saw it.
[quote]
On 2010-04-05 20:58, Tony Razzano wrote:
[quote]
On 2010-04-05 18:56, Anthony Jacquin wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Um, yes. I have his first book and I know first hand the creators of some of the effects and they are not James Biss'.
[/quote]

substantiate means provide accurate proof. ;)
[quote]
On 2010-04-05 20:03, entity wrote:
Ted and Mindpunisher:

Do you have James' books?

- entity
[/quote]

I have his first book lying around somewhere I can't remember everything that was in it but I do know there are a few classics in there that don't belong to him. including sneak thief.

He also stole the 7th Sense and claimed the manufacturer had cheated us both. The truth was that he asked the manufacturer to modify his sex toy but he wouldn't because he was told I already had an agreement with him. So he bought the toys with no modification and sold them to murphies kowing he was stealing.

Also one of his close friends and acomplices was asking me about 7th sense a few months before he released it. Its a pity the videos didn't stay up as a reminder to everyone what sleazebag he really is. The way he talks about "magicians" on the video sums up his attitude.
Not surprised by this at all. It is irrelevant if the videos were put up or not when it comes to the actions of exposing to non-magic groups and exposing items that are not yours to expose. "***, if only that camera was not there when I murdered that man, nobody would have cared and it would have been okay."

It is better to teach a skeptic group you can be fooled rather than how you can be fooled, otherwise you set them up for failure. I often have about 10 ways to accomplish any one thing. If someone thinks they know how an effect is done, it makes it easier to convince them I am real by using a different method.

Exposing secrets for non-magic groups is catering to the lowest form of the wanting to know for the sake of wanting to know. It is the easy road to take when you do not know how to teach critical thinking and it is just plain wrong. You would think Biss would know better having been a teacher.

But looks like he does not care that much since in his reply he spent more time trying to sell his other goods.

To attach Randi to this is irresponsible and maybe even actionable? He is just hoping that those who don't like the JREF will come to his defense. I hope not as these are two different issues and a technique that James loves to use. He loves to deflect any blame to others and to spread and soften the blow directed to him by including others. Even if he did think it was a "Randi group" (He knows better) what does this have to do with his actions at all? This issue is about what he did and not about what anyone else did or has done.
Happy to see you weigh in on this, Steve.

Just in case, I checked with Randi, re: the videos. This was his response to James Biss' claim that Randi's Foundation had posted the videos:

<<a) CFI Canada has nothing to do with us, nor with me. I know nothing about it.

(b) We gave no permission to Biss – who I’d never heard of until now.

(c) What “videos on YouTube” are you referring to?

James Randi.>>

I explained the situation to Randi and apologized for wasting his time.

- entity
BTW I don't think Banacheck goes by Steve anymore I think he prefers Banachek much more than Steve.
Can I poýnt out that James Býss has the legal rýght to remove thýs from youtube. I work on remove ALOT of exposure videos from Youtube, and its suprisingly easy.
Since the publication of his first book, James has demonstrated his lack of interest in respecting the work of others.

It is so sad that a person with a some original ideas and presentations continues to expose the ideas and methods of others. And for what purpose?

I don't care who is speaking to, if you didn't create it (or gain permission to use/teach it) ... it is STEALING.

Chuck Hickok
If I go in front of an audience and read out the works of some playwright without permission. I'd get sued.

If I published a book that was Harry Potter under another name, I'd get sued.

Steve
Message: Posted by: Lord Of The Horses (Apr 6, 2010 11:25AM)
If I published a book that [b]was[/b] Harry Potter I'd be billionaire.
Touche

Steve
Don't Mentalists and Magicians copyright their material? If not then someone will rip it off sooner or later. And yes sueing someone is a big hassle, but profitable in the end I believe.

Having said that I know nothing about law :P
I think it is worse to explain MOAB to magicians than laypeople. The lay will forget, but magicians will remember the secret
Message: Posted by: Lord Of The Horses (Apr 6, 2010 03:04PM)
[quote]
On 2010-04-06 15:50, ted french wrote:
I think it is worse to explain MOAB to magicians than laypeople. The lay will forget, but magicians will remember the secret
[/quote]
Ted,

I disagree. There is this old myth that goes around in magic clubs.

But this is another thing that magicians around the world have created "ad arte" to delude themselves.

The fact some (many?) magicians believe that, does not make it true.

In my life I've met a great deal of people and the most amazing memories came from laymen who were showed once the method for Zig-Zag Girl or the old Center Tear and they remembered vividly the HOW TO even after many years.

Sure there will be some laymen who will forget a method they learned (but that's true for magicians too) and I don't think it has to do with being a magician or not, at least, only partially so.

It has more to do with the kind of mind and memory one has.

Plus, there is always the "recall by association" factor. Even if I forget how Moabt works, first time I see someone replicate the same thing with the book, that alone will trigger my recall (or it should).
I was reading The Jinx over lunch today. After talking about exposure and the impact of television Annemann writes this in The Jinx Winter Extra 1937-1938:

[quote]We've gradually learned that the only way to stop or impede exposing is to do it through the publishers and editors. After talking to a few of late, we've found them wholeheartedly in favor of the magician, and morally against the lice who turn their secrets over to the public for a few dollars or their name and picture in print. Most of the editors who use such material are convinced by the magus himself that is is interesting stuff and material of no value.....The editor just doesn't believe that a performer would expose anything of great importance to his own trade...[/quote]

Annemann then goes on and talks about the S.A.M. and their not expelling anyone for exposure up to that point.
[quote]
On 2010-04-06 16:04, Lord Of The Horses wrote:
...showed once the method for Zig-Zag Girl or the old Center Tear and they remembered vividly the HOW TO even after many years...
[/quote]

Well, I presume they remembered those "vividly" because there's not much to remember. The methods are very uncomplicated and simplistic (once known).

OTOH, a week later I doubt many non-magicians would remember the specifics of the MOABT methodology.

...Incidentally, last week there was a magician on our local tv show performing Zig-Zag Girl.
Even if they see a completely different booktest performed, laymen will think they know it all… even after many years.
Message: Posted by: Lord Of The Horses (Apr 6, 2010 04:50PM)
[quote]
On 2010-04-06 17:41, lane99 wrote:

OTOH, a week later I doubt many non-magicians would remember the specifics of the MOABT methodology.

[/quote]

And I am sure many will remember.
I always thought that the major damage from a program like the Masked Magician was the emphasis on the "trick box." The message was that the prop was everything and that the performer brought little to the equation.

Essentially, the message went, anyone who had the money to buy the box and hire the pretty girls could be a magician. The main result of this was the denigration and trivialization of the performer.

Biss damages us all by exposing the simple methods used by mentalists (not fake psychics) and elicits the response from the audience of, “Oh there isn’t much to it.” While the spectator may or may not remember salient details they will have the attitude that there “isn’t much to the secret” which cheapens and denigrates the performance of magic and mentalism.

This does not work in our favor, or, in the long run, in Biss’ either. But since he is a fool, he will never understand this.
As for whether a laymen remembers specific methods:

Darwin Ortiz drew a key distinction in his book "Strong Magic" between the way a layman thinks and the way a magician (or in many cases mentalist) thinks.

If a layman knows 10% of how a trick is done, then he is apt to conclude that he knows how the whole trick works. By contrast, a magician might know how most of a trick works, but if he's fooled by the final reveal, he's still impressed. Why the difference?

If a layman looks behind the stage and sees a series of cables and wires and later watches a magician fly, the illusion is shattered. He might not know the exact mechanics of what the wires do, but he knows wires are involved and the magician isn't really doing it. Magicians who object and say "Oh yeah, well how did I do this other part" miss this point entirely. Such exposure in and of itself isn't fatal for magic, because many audiences can still appreciate the visualness involved in a magic performance. But can the same be said for a mentalism show?

So I'm afraid the effect of exposing methods such as MOAB may be more devastating than it initially seems.
I know I am about to paint with a broad brush but here goes anyways. So a lot of Magicians get into magic, because they might feel a little socially awkward, or want attention, be the life of a party etc. So what happens when they gather that attention and then people do the "how did you do that!" well they still want to be the life of the party, so they give in and say this is how I did it. What they don't realize is that in that moment they killed everything they were shooting for. One day they figure that out and then justify it by saying its laymen they'll never remember. The sad thing is they have done far worse than they will admit and the quote by Ortiz is spot on.

Now what does the computer age bring? Well these guys don't even have to walk out the door anymore to be "popular" and have people love them. They can just hook up the camera and shoot something and post it on youtube. What follows is a few people that complain and call names (still giving attention) and then the rest all tell them thanks for the teaching session etc. So now they can be an introvert and still be the life of the party. Wow win win for them. It also means this problem isn't going to stop until people stop publishing material. That wont happen either, so I guess live with it.
As for MOAB, unfortunately the method has been tipped several times here at the Café. I don't own it; I don't want to know how it's done. But it's so talked about that it's pretty hard NOT to know how it works.

Sadly, Youtube isn't the only place where commercial magic secrets are given away for free.

John
[quote]
On 2010-04-06 23:22, chichi711 wrote:
I know I am about to paint with a broad brush but here goes anyways. So a lot of Magicians get into magic, because they might feel a little socially awkward, or want attention, be the life of a party etc. So what happens when they gather that attention and then people do the "how did you do that!" well they still want to be the life of the party, so they give in and say this is how I did it. What they don't realize is that in that moment they killed everything they were shooting for. One day they figure that out and then justify it by saying its laymen they'll never remember. The sad thing is they have done far worse than they will admit and the quote by Ortiz is spot on.

Now what does the computer age bring? Well these guys don't even have to walk out the door anymore to be "popular" and have people love them. They can just hook up the camera and shoot something and post it on youtube. What follows is a few people that complain and call names (still giving attention) and then the rest all tell them thanks for the teaching session etc. So now they can be an introvert and still be the life of the party. Wow win win for them. It also means this problem isn't going to stop until people stop publishing material. That wont happen either, so I guess live with it.
[/quote]

But you can stop supporting the awkward inept Biss.
I have been looking for the IMB board for ages now with no sucess. After all this, James will never be getting any one my money. EVER.

This sickens me.

M
Quote : "I'm going to avoid wading into the craziness of the Magic Café and the handful who like to stir up debate. I really don't have the time to get involved in that sink hole".

Oh Really, Biss ?

Do you forget that many of us have spent a long time saving up for effects that you are so willing to expose ?

The only thing that should be put down the "Sink-Hole" is YOU !

The magic Café is not "Crazy" But YOU need therapy !

YOU ARE A DISGUSTING INSULT TO THE MAGIC AND MENTALISM FRATERNITY !
I think the next book he releases should be called "Biss takes the P*ss"...
No, should be called: "Biss masters the Pass". Jan
[quote]
On 2010-04-07 08:14, PSYSHADOW wrote:
The magic Café is not "Crazy" [/quote]

Well, maybe a little crazy...

- entity
Ha yeah to be fair a little crazy is about right :D
We are, otherwise we wouldn't do what we do. So the Café reflects us. That is o.k. :) Jan
Oh well.
I guess it will take some time before James Biss try to advertizing "his" material again.

Sven
I have noticed that the videos heve been taken off YouTube by the owner! Thankyou owner :) Paul
They wern't taken down willingly, James Biss should never have exposed stuff.
[quote]
On 2010-04-11 08:38, Eshla wrote:
They wern't taken down willingly, James Biss should never have exposed stuff.
[/quote]

But I bet you learned a lot while they were up though huh esh?

j
Bet it didn't sink in though John....lol
James Biss.. as if there is a bigger ******bag and insult to the magic/mentalism community...

Hint: there is none..
The damage has been done, if James likes exposure well see how much he likes it when he finds me in the front row of his next show, if he thought he had problems with that Irish woman heckler, he hasent seen anything yet, if he wants to expose the IMB well see how much he likes it when it happens DURING HIS SHOW, you mark my words I GUARANTEE ill be at his next show, he's almost my neighbour
Message: Posted by: MentalistCreationLab (Apr 11, 2010 02:53PM)
Stashu Bravo,
Stashu.. id love to have a field raport on that. Bravo :D

What is he gonna do? Doing a Paddle move with his IMB :')
[quote]
On 2010-04-11 06:42, PWRIS wrote:
I have noticed that the videos heve been taken off YouTube by the owner! Thankyou owner :) Paul
[/quote]
oh, there are some still there.
Greetings,

You know, I try to never get involved in these types of threads...but I feel that I really need to add my comments.

First, I have spoken to a number of skeptic groups over the years, and I have NEVER exposed one single thing...and I never will. To do so is merely a shortcut for those that really have nothing else to say. It's really quite sad, but that's what happens with those that do not create their own material. A true creator understands the respect that we all owe to the art. On the other hand, thieves don't usually give a ***.

Also, the message from Mr. Biss proved that he didn't even know who sponsored the event...and yet he knows how prestigious the group was. Perhaps...or maybe he's just very full of himself (and obviously, very full of something else).

My suggestion would be this...if you honestly care about all types of theatrical deception, do not support those that disrespect what we do. The goal should always be to leave the art form in better shape than how you originally found it. That means respecting it...not raping it.

Keep the change,
Rick
@ Rick

Amen bro.. amen
Hello, you boys...

Rick's on point again.

The magic/mentalism community is pretty forgiving as a whole. We allow child molesters and drug addicts to pay their dues to society and re-enter our tribes without much fanfare.

But a thief and a liar who refuse to admit his crimes cannot repay his debt and certainly should not be hailed as a contributor to our art. In the past days of performers like Bert Easley, when men wore felt hats, thievery was taken care of by taking it "outside" with a good cuffing.

There may still be something in that philosophy.

Take a powder,
Docc
Ah, Bert Easley. They don;'t make them like that anymore.

Also the proper way to settle things like Gentlemen is long gone. A good cuffing, indeed, settled the scores of many 'misunderstandings'!

Chris
ABISSmal

Benny
In this case, I don't want to stir up anything, but I want address something that Lord of the Horses wrote:

"In my life I've met a great deal of people and the most amazing memories came from laymen who were showed once the method for Zig-Zag Girl or the old Center Tear and they remembered vividly the HOW TO even after many years. Sure there will be some laymen who will forget a method they learned (but that's true for magicians too) and I don't think it has to do with being a magician or not, at least, only partially so."

So, if I understand this perspective, we don't want anyone to know how we lie to them...why? So they won't be entertained by our lie? I hasten to point out that we are supposed to entertain our audiences, and we are supposed to understand that they know(!) what we do isn't real. So I would suggest that unless we are trying to convince our audience that we are the real deal, having the audience know we are fake and still enjoying the performance isn't a bad thing...is it?

My wife and I do a "real" and "entertaining" seance at Hallowe'en, and have had many people ask us to contact their late loved ones - we politely tell them that what they saw was a "show", and not the "real thing". We do not suggest that the "real thing" does not exist, just that we are entertainers. So, would we care if they knew that 'it' fell over by the use of a thread? Or that the planchette moved because of a magnet? No, not at all. And even though we do not advertise ourselves as an exposure-of-the-seance show (and we play it as real as we can, thanks to my theater background), we certainly don't worry that someone 'out there somewhere' exposes one of our effects.

Even the Masked Magician did not cost anyone (that I know of) any work, or any success. So why do we whine so much about another? If you don't want to play in his sandbox, then don't. But quit complaining. And go back to work, or back to creating your own material, or both.

Lee
http://www.mississauga.com/news/article/1370654--teacher-pleads-guilty-to-sex-charge
Lee, Many of us make sacrifices to learn the secrets of our Art, paying thousands of dollars at times, investing hundreds of hours to craft our technique and presentation. Someone comes along with no respect to the Art's rich history of secrecy nor our sacrifices. That's what the big deal is about.
No one will see this I doubt, but I've been leafing through a copy of a Biss book (had it for years, came in a lot I purchased on an online auction) I've been looking at it off and on (mostly on the john) for awhile. Sort of liked some of the thinking. I JUST googled the man this evening. Took me a long time to find much about him. Then I found this thread, followed by a couple of unpleasant news articles. My point is, right now I'm probably one of the few people thinking about him. There isn't much evidence that he was here at all. (I guess I'll stop reading the book, maybe)
Many years have passed since this has started, and after reading this again, I had only one question burning in my throat to ask: do those original people who posted comments here feel the same was abut exposure towards Penn and Teller? I remember feeling horrified that these two magical "greats" would expose things on their numerous television events, and they certainly don't seem to care what the average magician thinks. So, perhaps Biss has modeled his money-making career after P&T...after all, look how successful they are!