(Close Window)
Topic: Activity in this section
I noticed its not as active as other sections. I wonder if it is because few people are interested in memorized deck stuff and stacks (or lack of interested topics?).
Hi, no, I think a lot of people are talking about memorized deck magic only, but only few actually doing it. So, be happy about it. I am! Jan
:). You might be right. Many threads make it sound like getting a medical degree to learn a stack. I guess I should be.
Dmitriy,

Remember that mem deck allows miracles that are impossible by any other means :) A friend of mine and I used to work large walkaround venues. Occasionally he would yell over to me "Hey Vlad, this person just shuffled the deck and I cannot find the Queen of Spades! Can you help?!" Without missing a beat with my group I would yell back "It's 48th from the top!" We would FLOOR audiences with that ;)

Ahimsa,
Vlad
That is hillarious Vlad!

Eric
I agree 100% Vlad. Oh and I should have pointed out I am a big fan of mem deck work so it was sort of disappointment that its so slow on this part - given that its so powerful a tool, this is ALL people should be talking about:) .
[quote]
On 2010-04-19 07:40, dimazales wrote:
I agree 100% Vlad. Oh and I should have pointed out I am a big fan of mem deck work so it was sort of disappointment that its so slow on this part - given that its so powerful a tool, this is ALL people should be talking about:) .
[/quote]
Then let's kick it up Dmitriy!!
I have been trying for Days :) !
I tried to get it spiced up a bit as well a while back.

I think a lot of it is that only a very small subset of magicians are using MD's.

I'll gladly throw in my 2 cents when I have it to add!

:o)
[quote]
very small subset of magicians are using MD's.
[/quote]
Sounds like that might be the case. Very strange, as soon as I heard of the concept I knew the possibilities where endless!
The possibilities are endless, but it's a difficult thing to discuss, apart from effects. A friend of mine also has memorized a stack, and we do jazz it regularly with each other.
Hi Josh,
I agree it is fun jazzing or learning new routines with a another MD magician. I have a friend that uses the Tamariz stack and I still use the Nicola stack but we really have fun practicing and trying out new routines.

It is quite interesting that only a minority of magicians use a MD and I suspect that an even smaller number suscribe to The Magic Café, hence the lack of posts.

all the best

Mike
I think that most casual magicians prefer to work on knuckle busting sleights to impress people with their abilities, instead of working on truly mystifying people with mem deck routines. (Sorry, my bias is showing.)
I don't think that it's a preoccupation with sleights that prevent most card workers from getting into mem deck work. In looking over past threads here there seem to be three reasons why cardicians neglect mem deck work:

[list]
[*] By far the biggest reason is that people think they won't be able to memorize a stack. It can be difficult to get started in the process, especially if you're not fully aware of what is possible with the use of a memorized deck.
[*] Some card workers are against stacks of any kind and prefer to work exclusively FASDIU. I know some people that, at the most, might cull a four of a kind to the top to begin an effect, but other than that they are against setups of any kind.
[*] A distant third reason is that some workers don't want to be bothered to constantly set up their MD. They feel it would just be too much hassle to deal with.
[/list]

The fewer that do MD work the better. It keeps what I do somewhat distinct from what everybody else is doing.
Steven, that's exactly what I wrote above before and I do agree wholeheartedly :). Jan
[quote]
On 2010-09-21 23:54, Josh Chaikin wrote:
The possibilities are endless, but it's a difficult thing to discuss, apart from effects. A friend of mine also has memorized a stack, and we do jazz it regularly with each other.
[/quote]

That is an awesome Josh, I am jealous. I do not have any magician friends, let alone another MD user ....I might start a thread one of these days to look for someone else who lives in NYC and knows the Aronson stack for Jazzin/secessions :)
John Born lives in NYC, but he uses the Joyal stack. He has released two fantastic manuscripts on the ACAAN plot, naturally using a memorized deck (Meant to Be and The Flip Shift). He's a member here. I'm sure there's no shortage of NYC magicians with mem decks...Asi Wind comes to mind as well.
The reason that I initially learned the Aronson Stack was precisely because I knew of no on in my area (San Diego) that was doing any kind of stack work. I have used it in countless performances since and consider it to be one of the strongest tools in my box.

I also have done walk around with a good friend of mine. He does not use the stack, but has memorized the first ten cards. The way we would work the situation is that every so often one of us would ostensibly not be able to find the spectators selection and call out to the other, and with out breaking stride he would yell back 9S or whatever. We would just move one card up the stack each time. By the end of these shows people would be buzzing about how the other magician across the room could possibly know their card.

The only bad thing about not a lot of magicians using a stack is that it is hard to find new material published on it.

I would highly recommend Eric Richardson's book to all Aronson Stack users.

Paul
I am just getting start of using my stack and so I just keep quiet to see others' posts. =P

- Arthur
I find the Café far less useful now that you can't search for stuff. That may be causing a lot of folks to spend less time here, including this section.
Dennis Loomis
I second that opinion Dennis
In my area its a rare thing to see mem deck magic. You can do amazing stuff with a mem stack. I don't know why many magicians ignore this concept, its great.
[quote]
On 2010-10-21 09:40, Dennis Loomis wrote:
I find the Café far less useful now that you can't search for stuff. That may be causing a lot of folks to spend less time here, including this section.
Dennis Loomis
[/quote]

If you go to google, you can search the whole forum by typing in

site:http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/ (your search term)

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.themagiccafe.com%2Fforums%2F+memorised+stack

(sorry about the snark on that link)
Message: Posted by: greydonthemagician (Dec 13, 2010 10:39AM)
I'm glad that not many perform stack work! Means we are unique ;) Aronson brought this up in his "bound to please". On page 84 he eludes to 3 reasons for this. One that magicians think a stack is impossible to learn, second that having to switch in the stack during a routine is wracking and third that over the years many effects have come out for the stack that are simply mundane. That every effect using a stack is a simple location effect or a weighing the cards effect. All of these points are valid.

Personally I feel if you don't put time, effort and creativeness into stack work then yes the effects will be long and boring. It is what you do with it, the possibilities are endless. As for the first point learning the stack does take time but once learned it is hard to forget. To the second point, learning a false shuffle and allowing the spectator to shuffle (Eric Mead has some ideas on this)will allow one to already have the stack out in play. I usually will perform one or two effects before a stack effect.

With that I hope that stack work remains used but only few and lets help each other with new ideas. Other Magi don't know what they are missing out on!
Yesssss! :) Jan
Alright, I'll bite.

What would you folks recommend as a "starter" MD set-up?

Jorey
Juan Tamariz' "Mnemonica", and Simon Aronson's "Bound to Please", "Simply Simon", "The Aronson Approach" and "Try the Impossible". :) Jan
Jan,

Thanks for the recommendations

J.
[quote]
On 2010-10-24 05:15, Kjellstrom wrote:
In my area its a rare thing to see mem deck magic. You can do amazing stuff with a mem stack. I don't know why many magicians ignore this concept, its great.
[/quote]
I think most are a) afraid of the work involved memorizing b) can't choose a stack - and this one is BIG, just read some of the arguments about stacks their features etc to get a feel for this c) have a philosophical objection to stacks - something along the lines that it's not sportsmen like to the spectators (true :) ).
Hey, neither are any slieghts we use. We are cheating and fooling them(that's not very sportsmen like). However the spectators know that we are cheating. :)
I don't have a philosophical objection to stacks , nor did I honestly represented it either , I was teasing but it doesn't come through well in writing sometimes. I think the real deal with c) is something along the lines "what about borrowed shuffled deck" (answer: it can be stacked in front of spectators).
Of course I agree with you, in fact , the more something is NOT sportsmen like the better , magic is not the Olympics, you are supposed to cheat as the magician. Mem deck takes it to another level in my opinion, like super steroids or since we like those weapon analogies, its like hunting rabbits with one of those smart self navigating stealth missiles :)