(Close Window)
Topic: Dan Harlan's Awakening
Just had the pleasure of seeing Dan Harlan lecture her in Chicago. Very solid lecture and would have given it a solid recommendation. Some new, some old, pretty good stuff. That was until seeing his new effect - The Awakening. His improvement to the Professor's Nightmare is truly magnificent. I have seen a lot of magic and this is the first item in a long time that had me grinning from ear to ear. I truly felt like an 8 year old the first time grandpa made money come from my ears.

Simply a wonderful creation.
Totally agree! This was a real highlight of the lecture!
Is this on his latest 2 DVD set or a separate item?
It's a searate item, Dan had them for sale at the lecture, haven't seen them for sale anywhere else
I can only imagine Dan putting his own sneaky spin on this. I'm sure it will make me actually want to do rope tricks again.

In the times that I spent with Dan I was constantly amazed and impressed by his mind. He just looks at stuff in a whole different way. I remember him doing a weird cards across thing that just kept fooling me on each level. It was a marvel.

Greg
Can you describe the effect? Dan's stuff is just great.
Kakuna,
"The Awakening. His improvement to the Professor's Nightmare is truly magnificent"
You know what pro nightmare is, right?
I was just at a Harlan lecture. I admit I was fooled by this trick and purchased it, 20 bucks not. It is neat thinking and a neat effect. I may be too attached to my Fiber Optics set to change but this is pretty cool. The presentation really just involves change the three different length to the same lenght and back again several times in the blink of an eye. There is by-play where you essentially show them how the traditional Prof Nightmare works and then still fool them anyway. Dan presents this sort of as a magic just happens to me and I don't why.
It seems awfully close to Timothy Wenk's Insomnia routine. The principle is the same, though, the gimmick on the ropes from Dan Harlan makes the handling easier.

Sincerely,
David
I appreciate all the great comments on my new effect "The Awakening." To clear up any confusion, there is some relationship to Timothy Wenk's "Insomnia," but there are important differences. Yes, both routines display the ropes separate before and after the change, but (due to my contributions) "The Awakening" features multiple instantaneous changes and a very natural handling. It is definitely not the same trick. Here's a quick description:

You clearly show three separate ropes of different lengths (short, medium, long), and then (with NO moves) they instantly become the SAME length, AND they are clearly displayed separately! As if that were not enough, you then run the ropes once through your hand and they instantly revert to different lengths! This is repeated again with no suspicious moves at all. In fact, it looks just like real magic. Then, a pseudo-explanation is given in an effort to express how difficult it would be to do *without* magic. Following this, the different lengths are shown again and instantly change to the same simply when you begin to count them! You have to see it to appreciate it. Finally, the equal ropes are given a little tug that changes them back to three different lengths! (Note: This particular change made me giddy like a schoolgirl when I came up with it... literally giddy)

No disrespect to Mr. Wenk (whom I admire greatly), but you can't do that with "Insomnia." I hope to have a video of "The Awakening" posted soon so everyone can see for themselves.
--Dan Harlan
Where can I purchase this item? It sounds great.
Can it be adapted to an existing rope routine?
This sounds great Dan!

A video would be nice, but I do hope you decide to sell this outside of your lectures. Just one question. Can the ropes be examined at anytime?
Welcome back Dan! I can't wait to get this.
I LOVE the moves from Dan's "Tightrope" routine from his DVD set "Harlan Live" so I hope this new rope routine gets marketted.

Is there a clip of it we can see ( if it can't be reverse engineered of course ).

Chris
[quote]
On 2010-05-08 14:59, Gospel Dan wrote:
This sounds great Dan!

A video would be nice, but I do hope you decide to sell this outside of your lectures. Just one question. Can the ropes be examined at anytime?
[/quote]

Hi Gospel Dan,

I picked this up when Dan was in Cleveland. It's a very visual routine, but the ropes cannot be examined.

Regards, Steve
I just came back 5 minutes ago from seeing Dan lecture in New York at the Long Island Mystics.

It was an excellent lecture and I enjoyed "the awakening" as well as many of his other effects....I suggest you buy it.

I just wish it came with a video DVD of the performance.....however, the written description is good and once you see the routine it will make sense to you....But, it is a fooler, if you don't know the method.

I suggest that you see Dan's lecture if you can.

Yawn......he is also a great and personable guy !
Thanks for answering my question Steve. It's not a deal breaker for me because I perform on stage as well. I usually perform Fiber Optics and I'm looking to add more rope tricks to my set. Awakenings sounds very interresting, and it has my attention.
How does this from Ran Dayton's book about Professor's Nightmare also entitled Awakening?
Make than Ron Dayton ....aka KOTAH.
My ears just perked up. I was surfing along the Café, here, when I glimpsed that Dan had a new routine. I immediately began salivating like a dog with a steak in front of his nose...

(Just kiddin'!)

Anyway, my wallet is in my hands ready to fork over the dough as soon as Dan releases this. His reputation alone is all it takes for me.

And when was the last time we saw a REAL, genuine improvement on profs nightmare?
[quote]
On 2010-05-11 21:04, daffydoug wrote:

And when was the last time we saw a REAL, genuine improvement on profs nightmare?
[/quote]

Hi daffydoug,

Take a look at Magic Ian's "Dances With Ropes." There's several threads in the "Knots and loops" area. It uses gimmicked ropes, but will likely fool the pants off you when you see it :)

Regards, Steve
Or, Fiber Optics. Ungimmicked ropes. I do like dances with Ropes too though.
[quote]
On 2010-05-12 09:57, yachanin wrote:
[quote]
On 2010-05-11 21:04, daffydoug wrote:

[/quote]

Hi daffydoug,

Take a look at Magic Ian's "Dances With Ropes." There's several threads in the "Knots and loops" area. It uses gimmicked ropes, but will likely fool the pants off you when you see it :)

Regards, Steve
[/quote]

Thanks for the tip! It figures I'm behind the times.
Hey everybody! I've just returned from the latest "leg" of my tour and have slapped some titles onto the video of "The Awakening" shot at Magic Inc. Take a look:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRf0kgnN33A

In an effort to answer all the questions that have come up here...
"The Awakening" is currently only available directly from me (PM if you're interested), uses a subtle gimmick to make the handling appear very natural, and shares the same name as Ron Dayton's book, but otherwise has no relationship to it. I guess the title must have been in my subconscious when I was trying to come up with a good name. Hopefully we can all live with a trick and a book having the same name. Anyway, hope you enjoy the vid!
--Dan Harlan
That was absolutely delightful to watch. Only someone like you could take the Prof. Nightmare to a whole new dimension of astonishment. Your storytelling and brilliant humour is truly one of a kind.

PM'ed you.
Great video, Dan! Hope you come back to Seattle some day.
That was great, thanks for sharing it with us :)
I was there, I believe it was shot over my daughter's shoulder. Neat trick as you can see and only 20 bucks at the lecture.
Difficulty level?
Regarding difficulty level:
My magic "guinea pig" (her words, not mine!), who knows basically nothing about magic, was able to perform it the very first time she tried... so, I think anyone can perform "The Awakening" with confidence and success!
--Dan Harlan
I'd say it's almost easier than the original Profs Moightmare
When I saw Dan do this at the lecture in Reading PA I first thought it was Dances with Ropes but then I was really caught off guard when I found out it wasn't because the method he uses no one would think of it being that simple.

Should have purchased it when you were in Reading. This is going to be a killer.
In real estate, it is location, location, location
In magic, presentation, presentation, presentation
Hold it buster is s staple in my stand up act on got 4 rounds of applause!
Why? Funny patter and visual magic just like this effect.
I agree, JSBLOOM, and as has been said before, both the Awakening and Hold it Buster are easy enough that you can focus on presentation.
Just on question.
Can you hand the ropes out before your start or after ?

Looks really nice ;)
I got my set yesterday. Super fast shipping from Dan. He sent them on Tuesday and I got them a day later. Well worth the price. I thought the ropes would be gimmicked in a certain way but they are not, to my surprise. There is a minor gimmick but it really just makes the handling slightly easier. It isn't really necessary though. So the ropes aren't really gimmickd per se, but you can't hand them out.
I'm ready to order this. Have been waiting with anticipation, in fact. Anybody please give me the link?
You have to PM Dan for ordering info. I've been doing versions of PN for over 20 years and this is the first really different method I've come across. Well worth what Dan is asking.
[quote]
On 2010-05-21 09:26, emyers99 wrote:
You have to PM Dan for ordering info. I've been doing versions of PN for over 20 years and this is the first really different method I've come across. Well worth what Dan is asking.
[/quote]

Received mine today - quick and efficient service directly from Dan - wonderful routine, original handling - amazing results! Thanks, Dan.
I'm confused. If Dan never learned the secret to this trick, as he himself states numerous times on the video, how can he possibly turn around and sell it to other people?

I'm going to be cautious with this guy and will order only one until he declares he knows how to do it.

Better to be safe than sorry, you know.
Dear marknem7 (if that is your real name),
I declare emphatically that I do NOT know the secret to "The Awakening," and I am (in fact) also completely clueless when it comes to the secrets of all the magic I do! However, in my own defense, I don't feel that my inability to learn the secrets of magic should in any way detract from my ability to do it. Thus, having cleared that up, I can assure you (and others who may purchase "The Awakening") that it comes complete with instructions that contain the secret... which I do not know... that you may choose to read if you are into that sort of thing.
Yours in mystery,
--Dan Harlan
PS--As one pregnant goat said to another, "Do they know we're kidding?"
Message: Posted by: Robert//Livingston (May 22, 2010 10:57PM)
Dan,

This looks amazing, and I can't wait to see you're lecture June 1st! I'm really looking forward to it. :D
[quote]
On 2010-05-22 17:26, marknem7 wrote:
I'm confused. If Dan never learned the secret to this trick, as he himself states numerous times on the video, how can he possibly turn around and sell it to other people?

I'm going to be cautious with this guy and will order only one until he declares he knows how to do it.

Better to be safe than sorry, you know.
[/quote]

I guess you didn't know that Dan is caught in a vicious time loop of his own creation. His future self knows how everything works, but only teaches his present self how it works after the routine. It's a paradox. Or as the goats said when they saw Donald and Daffy coming their way, "Oh, it's a pair of ducks."

Greg
[quote]
On 2010-05-22 18:08, DanHarlan wrote:
Dear marknem7 (if that is your real name),
I declare emphatically that I do NOT know the secret to "The Awakening," and I am (in fact) also completely clueless when it comes to the secrets of all the magic I do! However, in my own defense, I don't feel that my inability to learn the secrets of magic should in any way detract from my ability to do it. Thus, having cleared that up, I can assure you (and others who may purchase "The Awakening") that it comes complete with instructions that contain the secret... which I do not know... that you may choose to read if you are into that sort of thing.
Yours in mystery,
--Dan Harlan
PS--As one pregnant goat said to another, "Do they know we're kidding?"
[/quote]

Thank you, Mr. Harlan, for clearing that up for us, along with all the rest of me.

Having been re-assured, I'm now quite sure you won't need to send me the secret instructions when I order The Awakening from you.

But I will take one goat, should you have any left.

Your Web site, please?

--marknem7 (my Confirmation name)
If anyone wants to order this inexpensive and impressive effect, PM Dan directly.

Even if he is clueless about the secret.
By the way, I want to say something about Dan's magic and his thinking on magic. Dan is one of those guys in magic that makes me want to leave mentalism and return to regular magic. He has a way of coming up with diabolical methods and funny presentations and quirky structures.

Time and time again I've seen his mind at work and I sit back and think, "Man, I want to do magic again." There are a few guys that do that to me when I see them work... Dan is high on that list.

Greg
Hallelujah! Mine arrived, and all I can say is "Thanks Dan!" This is great!

If anyone is hesitation about ordering, I would advise you to not delay, while Dan is still being nice.

You will be shocked when you find out the secret that you'll never know. Elegantly simple. In fact the genius in this is the utter simplicity in itself.

I have been looking for a better PN for a long, long time, and this fits the bill perfectly!

You might even call this professor's nightmare for the space age, (if that term is not considered outdated.)

Dan should sell this for double the price.
After playing around with this, I discovered that it is quite possible to do the effect without the tiny gimmick, but the addition of the gimmick makes it 200% easier and prevents the possibility of dropping the rope and exposing the secret.

I still think it's genius.
[quote]
On 2010-05-17 02:05, gman wrote:
When I saw Dan do this at the lecture in Reading PA I first thought it was Dances with Ropes but then I was really caught off guard when I found out it wasn't because the method he uses no one would think of it being that simple.

Should have purchased it when you were in Reading. This is going to be a killer.
[/quote]
Just watched the quick video of the effect. It has an element of Dances with ropes as an "in plain sight" move, but it is not the same at all. Here is "Dances".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsWClZ2rkEk
I can see, however, it could be incorporated as one of the "prelude" nightmares in my routine. Very nice, Dan. I am impressed and would love to have you lecture in Florida.
Dan first showed me this trick about a year ago at his home while messing around with some magic. Then he had very little scripting worked out and just did his thing improving along the way.

As a personal friend I never ask Dan how something he is working on is done ( I just hope he shows me :) ). However I had to break this rule and ask. I was shocked at how easy this is to perform and I was way off the mark with how it is done.

Simple, Direct and in your face magic, the Dan Harlan way.

Floyd
Good stuff, man! Dan has a winner here!
Message: Posted by: Illusion & Beyond (May 30, 2010 04:04AM)
Just got this and it is great. I love it when you get something and are pleased with the working of the trick. You will fool yourself with this the first time you do it!!
Apparently Dan fools himself all the time with it. He still has no idea how it's done.(lol)
I'm still trying to figure out his Missing Think...I perform it, and still don't know how the heck it works .. but it is awesome... :) ...
You serious?
Just got mine north of the border.

It's taking a lot of will power not to drop everything I'm supposed to be doing (rehearsing effects for a show) and start playing with The Awakening.
[quote]
On 2010-06-03 12:52, dgcuff wrote:
Just got mine north of the border.

It's taking a lot of will power not to drop everything I'm supposed to be doing (rehearsing effects for a show) and start playing with The Awakening.
[/quote]

Totally agree. I have kept it on my desk, and keep picking it up to play with it. So smooth and fun to just practice, let alone perform.
Just got this last night at the lecture here in NC. This is just what I've been looking for. Great job Dan! Very funny and simple to do trick that amazes. Of course I haven't been able to practice but a few times yet but this is definitely going in my act. Thanks for such a sweet deal!
Message: Posted by: A Birthday Magician (Jun 13, 2010 10:41AM)
Fast delivery from Dan all the way to Australia...I am impressed. It is a pleasure to perform, easy repeatable sequence...and a definate fooler...it is like trick camera work. Just hope I can find a place for it in my show....so much fun to do just for yourself. I would like to know why Dan chose the thicker ropes rather than the standard magicians rope.
Regarding the thick rope:
You would soon find, if you were to try every available kind of rope (as I did), that the thick rope allows you to easily find the ends without conscious effort... plus, it looks like ROPE... like the kind people are used to seeing... not some soft, limp, stringy stuff that you're trying to call "rope." If you work for large crowds (especially), you need to use substantial props. Also, I like my props to stand up to repeated use without looking worn out. Thus, I have chosen the best rope for "The Awakening."
Message: Posted by: A Birthday Magician (Jun 14, 2010 11:09AM)
Dan that's a great answer...no probs with the size of the rope..was just wondering. I still keep going over to the ropes to do it for myself..it is fun...and the changes are lightening fast...well done for a strong simple routine.
The similarity between the awakening, and dances with ropes is odd.
[quote]
On 2010-06-15 10:21, Al Angello wrote:
The similarity between the awakening, and dances with ropes is odd.
[/quote]

I totally disagree!! The only similarity is they both are like the professors nightmare in so you are changing the length of ropes, the mechanics and handling of both are very different.

Floyd
Got this from Dan just a couple of weeks ago. AWESOME. Did it for our local Ring this past weekend and they loved it. Contact Dan and have him send you the notes TODAY!

I also have Dances with Ropes. LOVE IT TOO. Heck, I just like the PN premise. Go ahead and get Dances with Ropes too.

Both Dan and Magic Ian are so very creative and a treasure to the magic community. Thanks you two.

All the best,
Dorian
Good news! I recently had the pleasure of performing in Raleigh, NC with Jeff McBride at an event where I also had the good fortune to have Phil Wilmarth in attendance at my lecture. Phil, in addition to being a past President of the IBM, also OWNS THE RIGHTS to the original "Professor's Nightmare!" Pretty cool, right? Well, he told me that "The Awakening" is a great improvement and he gives it his full blessing! Sweet! Thanks Phil!
--Dan Harlan
I've had mine for a few weeks now, and I am so happy that I ordered this from Dan Harlan. This is by far the coolest looking illusion with three unequal ropes that I have come across. I am honored to be allowed to perform this masterpiece.

I will be officially performing it for the first time July 16 at a wedding reception I am booked for.
[quote]
On 2010-06-19 01:46, DanHarlan wrote:
Good news! I recently had the pleasure of performing in Raleigh, NC with Jeff McBride at an event where I also had the good fortune to have Phil Wilmarth in attendance at my lecture. Phil, in addition to being a past President of the IBM, also OWNS THE RIGHTS to the original "Professor's Nightmare!" Pretty cool, right? Well, he told me that "The Awakening" is a great improvement and he gives it his full blessing! Sweet! Thanks Phil!
--Dan Harlan
[/quote]
I thought Phil owned the rights to Hen Fetchs "Quadropelets", not Professors nightmare?
From what he said, I've got the impression he owns both!
--Dan Harlan
I thought Paul Richards of Elmwood Magic owned the rights to Quadropelets.
I remember reading that Phil Wilmarth obtained the rights to all the Hen Fetsch's rope effects and Professor Nitemare. But as so many times happens, they do little of nothing with them, I do remember the article said you could obtain Professor Nitemare and another effect from Phil Wilmarth and that was about it.

He never ran an advertisment (to my knowledge) for the products in any of the popular magic magazines, only read he was selling 2 effects of Fetsch's in a review article once. Never seen that a dealer is handling the products or selling the original versions.

Thus he is the proud owner of the rights, but what does that mean to someone that will not put the products out for sale. I purchased the book Fetsching Magic, hoping that the the complete Professor Nitemare Routine would be found therein, but to my surprise it was not even mentioned in the book. So my thoughts that maybe it was Hen Fetsch's patter was possibly mistaken.
Wmhegbli, you must have read that article a LONG time ago....

As Ted states above I do own the rights to Quadropelets, as well as a number of other Hen Fetsch items. I purchased them from Phil Willmarth and we have been producing Quadropelets since 2003. In that same year we ran several full page ads for the effect in Magic Magazine and Linking Ring.

You can find the item here:

http://www.elmwoodmagic.com/?nd=full&key=1568

Best,
Paul Richards
Thanks for the update, Paul Richards, and that is great you obtained the rights and is actually doing something with them. I wish you all the best in sales and suppling a classic for the magic society.

Yes, it was a very long time ago, I think it was while he was President of the IBM.

Think you can find the guy who purchased the Russ Walsh items and start making them for the magic society. I need another Acrobatic Golf Club and Multiplying Tees. Also, Sam Berlands son was to do something with his products but never did, and Warren Stephans products were suppose to be taken over by George Kemmery, but I do not see them anywhere.
How hard wearing are the ropes? If the gimmick is in the ropes (as I suspect it is), can it be transferred easily?
[quote]
On 2010-07-01 19:58, meilechl wrote:
How hard wearing are the ropes? If the gimmick is in the ropes (as I suspect it is), can it be transferred easily?
[/quote]

Doesn't that depend on how often you present the effect. If you are like most magicians, then it will last you a lifetime, because you will get it learn it and show it to your family, then a few friends and then put it in a drawer were it will set until you sell it or die.

At the very good price, if you are a professional performing regularly, you should by at least 2, if you do more shows then you should by several. Hope this helps with our question.
[quote]
On 2010-07-01 21:49, wmhegbli wrote:
[quote]
On 2010-07-01 19:58, meilechl wrote:
[/quote]

At the very good price, if you are a professional performing regularly, you should by at least 2, if you do more shows then you should by several. Hope this helps with our question.
[/quote]

Hi wmhegbli,

You could easily replace the gimmick instead of buying several.

Regards, Steve
Steve you are correct, but as I browse the Café, I find many on the Café are not craft-y at all. They refuse to cut a piece of paper or rope, and glue 2 cards together. That is okay, it just helps the economy.

I recently found when performing the cut and restored rope, I may have to stop performing the effect. I am finding out new generations of people do not know how to use a simple pair of scissors. They cannot cut a loop of rope. I find that very sad, but it is true and when a whole generation cannot even use scissors.

I have even ask for spectators that know how to use scissors and every time the jam the rope between the blades. I have purchased new scissors and they still manage to jam them.
Welcome back Dan......
This might be good for magicians but it tips professors nightmare.
I wouldn't be doing this for the public.
I really do not get how this tips PN. And if you feel so then leave that part out of the routine and script your own as I have. Although I did leave that in my script I like it.

--Floyd
[quote]
On 2010-07-02 03:47, wmhegbli wrote:
Steve you are correct, but as I browse the Café, I find many on the Café are not craft-y at all. They refuse to cut a piece of paper or rope, and glue 2 cards together. That is okay, it just helps the economy.
[/quote]

Hi wmhegbli,

That would help the economy :)

Regards, Steve
[quote]
On 2010-06-19 01:46, DanHarlan wrote:
--Dan Harlan
[/quote]

I'm not surprised. This is the best improvement or advancement I have seen in thirty years. Like most of us, I'm kicking myself for not thinking of it. Simplicity to the ultimate. The only difficult part is memorizing the patter, which is integral to the routine. But this is par for the course from Dan.
Just saw Dan perform this at a lecture in KC tonight. Waaaaaay cool! It was especially entertaining to see a room full magicians giggle like little kids. Very visual and very commercial. Thanks Dan.
We're having Dan Harlan lecture for us at IBM ring 6 in Springfield Pa. on Sept 13th. With all the great reviews, we're really looking forward to it.

Rich B.
This is ****ing AWESOME!
Read over the instructions & had the moves down in about 15 minutes. I have been standing in front of the mirror doing it over & over for the last half hour & it looks amazing!

For something to look so magical & no real "moves" almost makes you feel guilty.

I have that funny Christmas morning giggly feeling in my belly :xmas:

Thank you Mr. Harlan :)

Mike
"Thank You" to everybody for all the great compliments on "The Awakening." I'm glad you enjoy it as much as I do. If there's anyone who hasn't seen the clip yet, take a look:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRf0kgnN33A

If you want to get one, just PM me for ordering info!
--Dan Harlan
I like mine a lot! As the man said, there is barely a real "move" in the routine. Not in the traditional sense.

The patter is tough to memorize, though. I'm still working on that because it is obviously integral to the routine and adds a ton of entertainment value.
Looks great Dan well done! :)
As are all Dan's releases.
Well I must say this is just fantastic. Ordered this on Tuesday and It was here on Friday. It was very well packaged and the instructions were well written and a piece of cake to follow. So easy to learn and it really looks like magic. Everyone should get this It's the best twenty bucks I've spent this year.

Dan, Thanks for the great service and wonderful piece of magic.

Gimpy
This is definitely going in my parlor show.
I caught Dan's lex 2 days ago at SAM 6 in Baltimore. Awakening was definitely the 2nd most impressive part of the lex! Having done PN since I was about 14 (rather not say how loooong ago that was!), this is definitely going to replace my old way.

BTW, the _most_ impressive part of Dan's lex was his emphasis on theatrical principles and how to use them to make your magic more entertaining. That stuff may be old hat to many performers, but as an engineer who works magic bits into my short courses a lot of this is a brand new way of thinking. Thanks, Dan!
I've been playing with Dan's latest release for several weeks now and have posted my official review [url=http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=383712&forum=71&0]Here![/url]. Enjoy! :)
My PN routine is a combination of Proffessor's Nightmare and Professor's Day Dream. I've had nothing but excellent results with it for many years. There are a lot of interactions between both myself and my spectators. One of the things I like is that the ropes are able to be examined by spectators. I understand it's not necessary the spectators examine the ropes, but in my routine, it adds to my particular presentation.

Will I be able to use the ropes that come with Dan's routine with my handling of PN with the added benefit to incorporate the visual aspects that Dan's ropes will allow?
Anyone?
The ropes included with Dan's routine can be shown pretty fairly throughout, but can't actually be examined by the spectator.
THe magic community is very fortunate to have the great inventive minds of Ian and Dan. Also when they present their magic they are so relaxed and confident, they exude a feeling of warmth and likability immediately.

This could be a good lesson to those younger magicians starting out. Practice, practice, practice. Perform often until you can 'do the moves' with your eyes closed. This way you can concentrate on your presentation and misirection. Be yourself. Relate to your audience, smile, get them involved.

You are there to entertain them, not show them how much more smarter you are than they are. If you don't have the personality, or acting ability to attract people and make then like you, do a mime act like Cardini or Marvyn Roy "Mr. Electric".

Watch videos of all the successful performers and you will see why they are popular. I never had these tools when I was younger. younger magicians today are at a big advantage with all the resources available. Remember, It's always better to do a few effects very well than a hundred half-assed.

Dan and Ian are two pros. They have been doing magic all their lives and have done hundreds of shows. They are always willing to share information with others and are really all around nice guys. I am proud to be a member of an art that has such wonderful people with one thing in common. Our LOVE OF MAGIC!
[quote]
On 2010-10-03 20:53, nonvpro wrote:
My PN routine is a combination of Proffessor's Nightmare and Professor's Day Dream. I've had nothing but excellent results with it for many years. There are a lot of interactions between both myself and my spectators. One of the things I like is that the ropes are able to be examined by spectators. I understand it's not necessary the spectators examine the ropes, but in my routine, it adds to my particular presentation.

Will I be able to use the ropes that come with Dan's routine with my handling of PN with the added benefit to incorporate the visual aspects that Dan's ropes will allow?
[/quote]

Probably not. It would be a little difficult to use this in conjunction with another handling. Not to say its impossible... just not conducive.
[quote]
On 2010-07-02 10:27, chappelly wrote:
This might be good for magicians but it tips professors nightmare.
I wouldn't be doing this for the public.
[/quote]

Me too, I would think twice about the fact of showing a similar rope position of PN which could give the audience a hint of how PN could work.
It's not a straight give-away of the trick technique, but if you've shown to a repeat audience PN in the past and you switch to Dan Harlan's "The Awakening" it could give them a little hint.

This said : The routine and the trick technique is awesome. Magical Dan, just magical !

Oliver.
I know it's a little off topic but can anyone think of any routines that could be used along the same theme that Dan uses in the demo?
Magic where while you are saying you can't do it, it is in fact happening.
I used this effect yesterday at a Heritage Park 2 hr. walk-around, and it got raves,.. ooohs and ahhhs every time.
It's a keeper!!
[quote]
On 2010-12-28 13:53, David Klass wrote:
I know it's a little off topic but can anyone think of any routines that could be used along the same theme that Dan uses in the demo?
Magic where while you are saying you can't do it, it is in fact happening.
[/quote]

Check out Martin Lewis Come-Back Card
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ5BHAc5Y1A
Dan, did you teach this or show this at the penguin Online Lecture? Im backed up since the baby was born..
[quote]
On 2012-07-13 14:26, paisa23 wrote:
Dan, did you teach this or show this at the penguin Online Lecture? Im backed up since the baby was born..
[/quote]

Try a little Metamucil.
Ha ha ha Nice Sly...
I love awakening. Get it here: http://www.magicinc.net/TheAwakeningbyDanHarlan.aspx
This really is a great trick...yay Dan!!

They say all great tricks are killed by "improvements," so I figured I would take a stab at it.
I too wanted the ropes to be able to be handed out and I wanted a little more freedom in the handling.
Here is what I have been playing with. I think it is quite an attractive alternative.

http://youtu.be/x5KUwmUR3Zk

-Scott
Scott, well I would not think that is the type of patter that would be for laymen, most likely at a magic convention or at the magic club meeting. As your lines mentioning that they (the audience) seen it and know it is just not true. Now maybe if your perform the Professor Nitemare standard routine prior or even as running gag, then finally do this, it may make some sense.

Maybe look at the audience as you bring out the ropes, and say in your famous style, yes, again. Maybe name your trick, similar to Ali Bongo did some times, calling it "Famous Long and short of it Rope Trick" or some silly name that makes no sense.

I would also take out one or two of the repetitive long to short and short to long or different size bits. It get a little tiring, with the repetition.

I also see it is kind of hard to do a decent count action with these ropes. Can it be done with a rhythm count? When Dan come out with this, his handling was a little less flip floppy from hand to has as I remember. Have you tried using more of his handling and inject your wonderful personality more into the routine.

I really think it is your personality that make your magic so good. Now repeat after me, "I have a fabulous personality!" "It shines through beyond my magic." I am sure you feel better now.
Derek Hughes does a great personality piece with this routine. Funny, and establishes his character in 4 minutes. It looks like his opener, but I haven't seen his whole show. Derek is a talented actor as well.

Ken
Was this discussed on the Penguin lecture however? Just curious since I'm going to get a few this week.
No not for laymen Bill...just to show you guys what Im working on. I wouldn't do it for "real people"
lol
Great additions Scott! Really great thinking to make this clean!
Thanks...Im working on the script for real audiences, thinking about a premise of how everyone always says "do it again" to a magician....
Was this taught in either penguin lecture?
No, I did not include "The Awakening" in either Penguin lecture. I have been doing it in all of my personal appearances, though.
--Harlan
Teaching it in a lecture wouldn’t really help as you need the props to make it work. BTW it is a great routine!

Jim
Classics are classics for a reason. And it is just darn hard to significantly and genuinely improve on a classic. The old sayjng about "Don't try to reinvent the wheel" usually stands.

But in this case, we have to make an exception, becsuse if Prof's Nightmare is the wheel, then Dan has most assuredly stepped up to the plate and given us a significant improvement, both in ease of handling, and in presentation. Even if Dan stops manufacturing and marketing these, they still stand in the hall of fame as an enduring neo-classic. This is just too good to be forgotten.

Way cool!
I picked this up at Dan's lecture ans agree its a great twist on an old classic and makes the moves seem unbelievable.
Good stuff, eh? Pure Harlan gold!

I used it as when I was doing MC, and they loved it! I loved it, too, because it made my reputation. Gotta love the way Dan's brain works!
I've been doing Daryl's rope routine (Great routine BTW) since the days of VHS. This handling is, well, more magical. No cover, they just change. Prof. Nightmare is a trick that most beginning magicians learn and it is a classic for a reason. But Dan's awakening is just an improvement over the classic in my opinion.
Yes, true. But it is a SPLENDID improvement.
I think this is one of the all-time best bargains in magic. A fantastic, professional routine (Props included) for only twenty dollars! Thank you, Mr. Harlan!
I've finally found time to make video instructions for The Awakening. I'm offering these FREE to anyone who owns this effect. I've already sent the link to everyone who ever ordered directly from my site, but I'd like to make sure everybody else can get them, too... regardless of where you purchased The Awakening. If you're interested, simply contact me through my email address below and tell me how many illustrations are in the original printed instructions for The Awakening. If you've lost them, you can still contact me and include a small picture of yourself with the ropes. I'll respond with a link to the video.
--Dan Harlan
danharlanmagic@yahoo.com
Message: Posted by: Illusion & Beyond (Mar 26, 2014 12:45AM)
I use this as a do as I do routine. All in the end I do professors nightmare with their ropes.
Extremely generous offer!

Thanks Dan!

Jim
And 8 years later Penguin is pitching it through email as their deal of the day for 39.95 with free shipping. I ordered one. A classic is always a classic.
I just don't understand the hoopla around this effect.

The right hand is so obviously concealing something throughout the routine.

A prerequisite of this type of routine imo is that all three ropes are shown (or apparently shown) clearly and singly as equal or unequal. This simply does not meet that requirement.
I open many of my smaller kids shows with Professor's Nightmare. The last time I did it some kid knew how it worked and shared that as well as the basic idea behind the method with the whole room. Shows are simply not the same when the opener is ruined that badly. I considered purchasing the Awakening so that would never happen again but then I realized that much stronger than the trick itself is the fact that they can examine the ropes afterwards. They're shocked that the ropes are ordinary. Even when I let someone inspect the ropes before they still want to inspect them again afterwards. You can be super clean but until they examine the ropes, they'll still think there is something fishy with them. If even Nick Locapo thought that there's something fishy with the ropes - https://www.facebook.com/penguinmagic/videos/1073374539914938/ , your audience is likely to as well.

Have to think about it more. For $20 (as most of you paid), I would just buy it. For $40 I'm not as sure.
I think this trick is a great magician fooler but I am not as enthusiastic about it for laymen. Its effectiveness as an instant transformation is almost detrimental, because it's over so fast that the only way to make a whole routine out of it is to repeat it over and over again, which can get old. Other tricks that require repetition (such as the egg bag) can get away with it by changing the conditions each time, getting the spectators involved, or a surprise ending. None of which can be done really in this case (other than the phase with the psuedo-explanation of the "classic method")
I think those are interesting and valid points Geoff.
I picked this up at Magic Live last week. It's certainly a different take on the Professor's Nightmare plot and I think Dan does a nice job presenting it. While parts are repetitive his "I don't know how this works" patter adds enough comedic lines to keep the audience interested. It certainly did for me and that's one of the reasons I bought it. I would definitely recommend this.
[quote]On May 5, 2022, leipzisch wrote:
I just don't understand the hoopla around this effect.

The right hand is so obviously concealing something throughout the routine.

A prerequisite of this type of routine imo is that all three ropes are shown (or apparently shown) clearly and singly as equal or unequal. This simply does not meet that requirement. [/quote]

To me it's a classic example of a fun piece of magic that wouldn't baffle anyone watching closely.

If that right hand could be opened and the rope in it shown, well...that would be another matter.