(Close Window)
Topic: Ring & chain
Anyone using the classic drop a 3 inch ring down a chain and the chain wraps around the ring? People seem to respond to this. I thought if one ring was good, two would be better. Great reactions and I kept going. I currently can "catch" 8 rings on the end of the chain. I use a simple chain used for a pull light switch and cheap($1 for 5 rings) linking rings trick from the dollar store. I have not seen multiple rings done but I am sure someone must be doing this.
If you haven't tried this you might be surprised how well it goes over.
I will try it, it sounds like fun anyway.

- Mary Mowder
Just bought one yesterday.

Jim
I have this on me always, I do the link then an off move whilst the spec holds on to the end of the chain and finish with one more off move where the spec ends up holding the ring and I have the chain.
Although I've never used it on a paid gig its great for them show me a trick moments.
Where can I see this?

I saw it years ago in a video in youtube...though I have never seen it again, funny you should mention it..

a link to a video would be great!!
Ok, here is a video of the trick, though it is not performed real well:
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1055661/chain_and_ring_trick/
I have been adding rings and am up to 10 rings that attach. It has been getting great responses. I am really wondering if other magicians have tried multiple rings.
Never tried multiple rings, I am unclear on how you are linking on multiple rings, do you link a few at once and they all become attached? or are you linking on one after another?
Usually about 5 rings attach and the others just rest on top of the attached rings. I use cheap rings just under 3 inches in diameter. The more rings the more difficult to "drop" them correctly.

Posted: May 19, 2010 9:13pm
Sorry I was not clear. I stack the multiple rings and lower the chain thru the middle. Then I drop all the rings at once and they attach (most of the time)to the bottom of the chain..
I received my ring and chain last week. After a little practice, I took it to a German beer garden on Friday night. Had a blast! This thing really entertains people. I have a walk-around gig Saturday and I'm wearing it around my neck to the party.

jim
Wow! I've never seen that before. That looks great. Where can I learn and get that?
http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=S4951

Here ya go

Cool trick people love it

I have also bought chain at Hobby Lobby and the rings are available at just about any hardware store
[quote]
On 2010-05-20 21:14, amerigo wrote:
lso bought chain at Hobby Lobby and the rings are available at just about any hardware store
[/quote]

What do you look for at the hardware store? I've tried looking at my local "Lowes" and they didn't seem to have anything of that sort. I didn't really know what I was looking for though, and even asked them if they had any 3" or 4" or 5" rings, and they looked at me like I was crazy.

I looked for something appropriate for this, and I ended up buying some cheap bracelets at a different store.
[quote]
On 2010-05-21 12:27, Yekrats wrote:

What do you look for at the hardware store? I've tried looking at my local "Lowes" and they didn't seem to have anything of that sort. I didn't really know what I was looking for though, and even asked them if they had any 3" or 4" or 5" rings, and they looked at me like I was crazy.

[/quote]

Welded steel rings. About the largest ring the hardware store will carry is 2" sometimes you will find 2.5". Look in the hardware section sometimes they are in draws that have specialty parts.

Ray K.
You can also look in the children's section at Dollar Stores. They sell a linking rings trick for $1. Lousy trick but you get 5 rings; 2 linked, 2 not linked, and 1 you know what. I adjusted all rings to be solid. The rings are about 2 3/4 inch. That is how I got the idea of using multiple rings. You can also use a wedding band. I haven't had much feedback here on attaching multiple rings to the chain but I am getting great reactions.
Maddermax it funny you say that I just found $1 store linking rings and bought a few.
If you cant find them ant the $1 store any craft store will have them ask for dream catcher supplies
For those $store Rings I got several sets and can now swap in a set of three and a set of four to pass around. They are small enough for Ring-on-String effects and big enough for some Ring-on-Rope. Don't know asbout the chain.
The $ Store Rings are heavier than the Dream Catcher rings I've seen at craft stores. Heavier is better.
This was shot just for my dad to play with the routine. So apologies for the quality. This is the routine I do ALL the time. Funnily enough, I mentioned this on another forum as one of the best value effects I've ever bought. Cost me a fiver at the Blackpool Convention a few years ago complete with instructions for most of the phases on here. It's one of the very few things I'll take out with me if I'm not working as it fits in the ticket pocket of my Jeans. Also I can do my Fast and loose routine with the chain, so it's a lot of magic for very little space.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52Jr7bbKmEY

The last bit is something a barman showed me, I've never seen it before or since. Though this works better with a longer chain and using the whole hand rather than the finger.

Cheers

Andy
The ring and chain is a nifty routine. You can go to Home Depot and get both the Ring and chain there. You can get the rings in the hardware section and the chains in the lighting section. As simple as it is it gets a great reaction from the spectator.

Great video Andy thanks for sharing!!

TC
Looked good Andy, Thanks!
Thanks Andy, there were a couple of phases that were quite interesting, never seen them before and it adds value to the routine !
Andy:

That was a clever set of effects strung together. For the ring off the loop, if you do the 2'nd wrap-around-spec-thumb in the opposite direction, the chain will not have a twist in it.

Others: The first ring off, while the chain is looped around the spectators thumbs, is in Magic for Dummies. I do this with a wedding band ring and a piece of string. It is a nice little trick.

John
Andy, NICE work. Cheers!

It's really ironic that I found this thread as I just pulled my ring and chain effect out the other day and was messing about with it. To be honest, when I bought it, it was out of sheer curiosity, but, the cards and coins beckoned to me and this ended up in a prop drawer for six years! Watching your routine, and even just rhe basic routine from others has convinced me that this is not just a cute little puzzle, but a beautiful piece of magic.

Thanks all for the inspiration ;)

Ahimsa,
Vlad
You can obtain a solid brass 2" ring with no seam showing at a marine supply store. Or Wizardcraft has a solid brass ring a little less than 2". Both sell for around $5.00.
Here ya go

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?storeId=10551&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&pageSize=20&beginIndex=0&sType=SimpleSearch&resultCatEntryType=2&error1=&ip_text=steel+ring&ip_textHH=steel+ring&ip_requestUri=CategoryDisplay&ip_categoryId=14472&ip_mode=&ip_perPage=20

and

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?storeId=10551&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&pageSize=20&beginIndex=0&sType=SimpleSearch&resultCatEntryType=2&error1=&ip_text=brass+ring&ip_textHH=brass+ring&ip_requestUri=CategoryDisplay&ip_categoryId=14472&ip_mode=&ip_perPage=20
Can't vouch for the quality, but this is $1.61 including shipping!
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.24641
For anybody who would like to have a chain loop without a clasp to open and close see here http://www.lybrary.com/endless-chain-prop-p-11703.html
I produce these for a different effect, the endless chain, but it certainly works also for a chain and hoop routine. Not having a clasp removes any suspicion that you might secretly open and close the chain loop.
[quote]
On 2010-07-02 07:59, sruli wrote:
[/quote]

. . . and the instructions excerpted are everything one could ask for in a magic trick.
[quote]
On 2010-07-02 13:36, 0pus wrote:
[quote]
On 2010-07-02 07:59, sruli wrote:
[/quote]

. . . and the instructions excerpted are everything one could ask for in a magic trick.
[/quote]

You're right, of course. While it may be possible to learn something from the instructions, I wouldn't recommend trying. But there are other printed sources available. This is just the best price I've seen for the prop itself.
Mine is from Ickle Pickle. Nice and sturdy and I do believe the ring would survive a thermonuclear blast.

Side note: I love the name Ickle Pickle. Don't know why, but it makes me smile. :)

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Boy- Ickle Pickle chain and ring costs much less than the Infinity Ring to accomplish the same effect. Wish I would have known this before spending the money on the Infinity Ring. I was under the impression that the ring had to be a certain weight for it to work. Oh well- live and learn.

RNK