(Close Window)
Topic: Funny ways to choose specators
What do you got?
I like throwing out weird and awkward plush toys or have my assistant hit the plush toys with a wiffle ball bat.
Lawn darts tossed blindly into the audience will keep them awake!
Or a marshmellow shooting gun. :)
Maybe it's just me, but I dislike any throwing objects into the audience. Someone always get hit in the head, and while it's funny for everyone else, it's embarrassing for the person that gets hit.

Don't know about you, but I'm not out to embarrass any members of my audience. I'm there to entertain them.
I like phisically tromping through the rows and staring them down... if they don't come up voluntarrily.

At one show I had two people get someone by lifting their chair and taking them for a ride. But this was a special occasion,
I shoot the marshmellow gun into the air above their heads and they all look up and watch it fall down. So far, no eyes have been put out nor noses broken by falling marshmellows. Whew! :)
Sometimes it is not what you do it is what you say.
“Excuse me sir, can you see the pink elephant from where you’re sitting? You sure come on up here let me show you” Get the person on stage and show a pink elephant from your pocket, toss it over your head and say. Well since you’re already here.

Dan Harlan likes to go down into the audiance pick the person have them go on stage as he sits down next to their wife and puts his arm around her. It’s very funny and the guy does not know what to do so he just keeps walking. Oh and he does this all without saying a word.
Throw a net over them before they get away!

Have fun!

John
Use Derren Browns idea of introducing a soft toy an naming it after some sort of sexually transmitted disease and then throw it into the crowd and shout 'someone catch gonorrea' or the like.

Josh
- "exscuse me sir. I need a strong, handsome, smart and sophisticated person to assist me with my next effect (pause) who would you reccommend?"

- (as you literally stare at the person) "ok this next effect uses a person from the audience, ti can be pretyt much anyone.. anyone at all....(leabn in more and stare) hwoever if you would like to help all you have to do is raise your hand (smile)."

Kyle
(Directed at/gesturing toward a specific adult member of audience) “I need a responsible adult … who would you recommend?” (Or “can you recommend someone?”)
I tell them DC is classy and uses roses to throw into the audience. This is a low budget show so...( I bring out a foam brick)
Who just got of the witness protection program? Hold up your gun!
Eeeny, Meeeny, Mineeey, YOU!
We are going to select alphabetically by height.
I need a beautiful woman from the audience.... you ma'am... do you know any beautiful women?
[quote]
On 2010-05-27 11:30, J+S wrote:
Use Derren Browns idea of introducing a soft toy an naming it after some sort of sexually transmitted disease and then throw it into the crowd and shout 'someone catch gonorrea' or the like.

Josh
[/quote]

That's so awesome! Which show was that?
[quote]
On 2010-05-24 21:31, aceofharts wrote:
Dan Harlan likes to go down into the audiance pick the person have them go on stage as he sits down next to their wife and puts his arm around her. It’s very funny and the guy does not know what to do so he just keeps walking. Oh and he does this all without saying a word.
[/quote]
OH!
I love this one!
Funny!
You two each get to choose a medieval weapon. The winner of the fight gets to come up on stage.
What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow? Don't know ... then you get to come up on stage.
[quote]
On 2010-12-01 16:12, hbwolkov wrote:
What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow? Don't know ... then you get to come up on stage.
[/quote]

African or European?
I usually ask about the African , no the European .....
Put a fart machine under one of the chairs in advance.

Tell the audience you will only select someone who is not afraid to let out gas. Push the remote control.
Message: Posted by: thorsten dankworth (Jan 1, 2011 05:39PM)
[quote]
On 2010-11-17 20:58, Chris Abernathy wrote:
I need a beautiful woman from the audience.... you ma'am... do you know any beautiful women?
[/quote]
This is the best way to invitate a woman to assist you... ;)
A nice gag, but nearly every woman will hate you for this gag and normally I don´t want a person on stage to assist me that hates me. So meanwhile I only do this gag with male.
"For my next effect I need an intelligent, athletic and nice looking young man....You Sir, what´s your name? Frank, do you know anybody?" ....
There was a time when I would walk out with a leather bag, reach inside, pull out a handcuff and cuff someone.

I forgot to mention the cuff had a chain attached to a 20 pound ball. I never asked them to come up. I would drop the ball and leave with the bag. Sometimes the person would sit there the rest of the show and sometimes that would ask if they should come up. I usually responded that I wasn't going to go down there again because that ball was heavy.

Then I would ask people to help and if they didn't I'd get out another bag and intimate that I was headed their way.

- - - -

Once I pretended that a thought of card would appear under someone's seat and as soon as they stood to look, I took their chair and walked up on the stage with it.

- - -

I just had a challenge to get a lady up so I pretended to ask her 88 year old mother and to have her help me move her mothers chair.... then I "noticed" that the woman was 88 BUT too late the victim was already standing and I pushed her chair into the isle which gave me enough space to wrangle her up, onto the stage..... the entire time apologising that I didn't notice how old her mother was and thanking her for filling in.

That was a friendly hundred dollar bet between the owner and myself. The co-owner asked me to remind him to thank his partner for aggravating his wife... which I pretended to do by writing a note on the hundred dollar bill I had in my pocket.... explaining the bet as I displayed the bill.
Who in here really loves their wife or girlfriend and isn't afraid to say it...thank you sir for volunteering, come right up here.
Toss a sponge brick in the telling someone to catch it.
Ask which female audience member is wearing the shortest dress.
"Is there a blind witness in the audience?"
[quote]
On 2011-01-01 21:52, Father Photius wrote:
Who in here really loves their wife or girlfriend and isn't afraid to say it...thank you sir for volunteering, come right up here.
[/quote]

LOL I do that all the time. Classic.
Who is happy they paid their own money to see this show?
Message: Posted by: Simon Southern Moss (Aug 12, 2011 09:59AM)
"What do you call those tribes of small people in Africa?", "Pigmy", "OK I will"
For certain groups I have been lately toying up with throwing angry birds doll into audience to get em name randomly some things... Seems to work very well since the birds are at least regonized by everyone in finland :)

Also maybe the most used one in finland is to go to audience or ask some one to put up their hand, then introduce your next bit explaining that you will need a volunteer and since there is allready one hand up, he/she will do... Usually gets huge laughs and easy to follow up with most common jokes; get up, "put your feet one infront of other and pper body will follow you to stage with a round of applauses" and so on

J-M
You can SHOOT towards four out of five spectators.
Then, you just have to PICK the one that is alive.
"Sorry, did I spitted on you? you are the cohosen one. come to the stage."
I had a presentation for a set audience participation effects where I said that I needed a young lady to help, one that reminded me of 'El meu cor I la meva ànima, mi Doña María (My true love, my heart and soul). I would go into the audience and look for the obvious husband/wife or boyfriend/girlfriend couple, and after asking the lady her name, complementing her beauty and staring into her eyes like she was exactly what I was looking for, I would look at the boyfriend/husband and say, "Alright buddy, come with me!" This always got a huge laugh and it fit well into the set. It was always followed by the girlfriend/wife taking the blackmail photos or video of that part of the performance.
Frisbees!