(Close Window)
Topic: The Compleat Pitchman is ready
Hey Guys,

I told I would let you know,well Don Boles book The Compleat Pitchman would be ready for shipping.This book covers it all.A must have for all pitchman.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280512261362

Later,Don
Looks fascinating. Wonder how one pitches midget Bibles?
[quote]
On 2010-05-26 07:08, iugefu wrote:
Looks fascinating. Wonder how one pitches midget Bibles?
[/quote]

I would suggest underhanded? ;-)
This really is a fascinating book - I checked it out from a university library and it was hard to read because the print was so small, but the content is amazing - there are some elements of the Sven pitch in this book that must have came right from Don Driver or David Walker. Do yourself a favor and pick up a copy - I know I am!

./sam
The new one is 8 1/2 X 11 and much larger print,easy to read.
Great information on it.

Don, Are you thinking to release an e-book version?
First off its NOT my book and second the person that reprinted it is NOT doing an e-book version.

Don
I just got my copy.My friend that reprinted this book and would like I not used his name on any magic fourm has dedicated this new edition to S.David Walker and myself. I had NO idea till I just open it.It says:

This Edition is Dedicated to

S.David Walker and Donald Driver
Two Men Who Have Lived Their Lives As "Compleat" Pitchman

I'm most humbled over it.

Don
Congrats Don - You and David deserve it.

./sam
Congrats, Don, it's a well-earned honorable mention. :applause:

As I've said in other contexts -- when you plant lots of seeds, sooner or later some of them will grow into trees and bear fruit.

Don has been extremely helpful and giving of his time and advice to many folks, and now it's bearing fruit. SETH
CONGRATS DON!
This is quite an honor!

ROD
Seth, I know about "trees" but "...bear fruit..."? Is that like gummy bears?

But seriously, if ANYONE deserves a dedication, it's Don and David. They TRULY are "total pitchmen"! Too bad the author doesn't know how to spell "complete". :)

On second thot, take a look at this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Complete-History-Corvair-Vol-1-Vol-2-RARE-/270337088303?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ef1589b2f Enlarge the picture.

I'm not selling them but they ARE the books I wrote. Maybe I need a spelling lesson too!

Jon (or "John")
Don Boles spelled it C O M P L E A T when he wrote the book back in 1972.The person that reprinted the book did look it up and found out it is some old english way of spelling " complete " so he left it the same as he wanted the book to be 100% reprint of the first printing other than the size so it could be read easer.

That is the reason he listed as he did on ebay because he knew everyone would search "the complete pitchman" and not find it.

Always an answer Jon....

Later,Don
Yep, C O M P L E A T, that's how I spelled it on my books too--"The Compleat History of Corvair for the Compleat Corvair Nut!", Vols. I&II I knew I'd get lotsa flak from people who thot I didn't know how to spell but it does attract attention. :)

John
[quote] On 2010-05-27 Jon-O the Great wrote: Seth, I know about "trees" but "...bear fruit..."? Is that like gummy bears? [/quote]
Hey Jon, I was thinking of apple trees and Johnny Appleseed! Sorry I didn't make that clear. SETH
Seriously, how do you pitch a midget Bible? What is it?
Ted,
I guess you'll have to buy the book and read the pitch.For thoses that don't know what "The Compleat Pitchman'is,its a book with many pitch's in it.Including,the Svengali pitch,the mouse pitch,the Jam auction and hundrends more like a midget bible pitch.kitchen gadgets and many others.
On the borders are old adds that were in Amusment Bussiness ( the carnival trade paper,no longer being plublished )for pitchman and where to buy stock.Fun stuff to read.As a matter of fact I saw some old adds from my friend Jerry Spaulding that owned http://www.usjesco.com till his two kids fired him.

Lots to learn from this book and its just a fun book to read and the price is right.This book became a collectible and when one would show up on ebay they sold for over $100,so at $25 and a biger format its a real bargin.

Whos wants one ..raise your hand...one sold over here...another one sold back there...

You should order your copy today http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280512261362

Later,Don
Mr Boles was quite correct in his spelling. Compleat is not quite the same as complete, my dictionary defines it as "Of or characterized by a highly developed or wide-ranging skill or proficiency" .
I got the book, buy it if you are full time pitchman, it has some good ideas. I only skimmed thru the pitch section but will read it further later on. Has a lot of "old school" stuff but you can apply it.

Thanks for letting me know it was out there Don. I think I'll dedicate my DVD to you as well and give you a 5% royalty.
Don, now you can retire with style.
Thanks Ted,that was nice of you to say.( I see I'm up on you by only two post...and I've been a member here five years longer than you...)

I hope that was just another one of your bad joke's Mr Roya.I don't want my good name associated with your DVD in anyway shape or form.I'll sue you if you do.This is official !

Don Driver
Your welcome Don, not sure what the post comment was about.
Hahahaha not a thing Ted.Either you post a lot or I don't post enough...or maybe a bit of both.It was strange we were two post away and five years.
The last 2 years I have been promoting several products on the Café and I have been posting a lot.
Oh you're doing good posting Ted...its me,I just don't post that much.As a matter of fact I only posted this post because you got one up on me.Now we should be back to me being two up. LOL

Don
Hey Don, leave some bandwidth for the rest of us! :) SETH
Me leave some...look at how many post you have compared to me( over a 1100..and I have been a member for 2 years longer)I have a lot of bandwidth left to catch up with you...

Later,Don
Just kidding, Don -- as we know, it's not the quantity of posts, but the [i]quality[/i] of the posts that matters. SETH
Does anyone know what has happened to the seller of these books?
When the thread first went up I contacted him through ebay asked him to hold one for me till I got a check I would get the 2nd week of June.He told me not to worry, he would be selling them though June.
Well, I got my check,then checked out his Ebay listings.There were none.
I sent him an email through Ebay. I never heard back,and as of yet, he hasn't answered or posted anymore books on EBay.
Did anyone get this book?
No, but while looking for that one, found this one:
http://tinyurl.com/28qsokx ;-) A NEW profession! :)

Jon
Jon,
Thanks for the laugh!
Kim
I ordered and receive the book. I would say for my needs I didn't find any value in this book so if any of you would like my brand new copy I'll ship it to you for $30 paypal, shipping included.
PM me if you are interested.

JC
Hello JC:

Sorry you didn't see any value in this book???? I personally think it is one of the finest books on the subject to come down the pike in years. I realize the ads are dated , but that is for a touch of history. that's how many suppliers there were at the time it was originally published. some go back to the 50's ..the good old days ....when you could pick up a copy of Billboard ( AB) and find anything you needed in the pitching business. The pitches however are timeless..just as good today as when they were written. I give this book a 5 star rating.

ROD
Ditto Rod

Don
Rod/Don it is not that I didn't see any value in this book, I just find any value for me personally. I was hoping for a more direct how-to information book than a historical type text something more like The Medicine Show Manual.
I have other Don Boles' books. I have Midway Magic (several copies including a hardback) that I love and I've been looking for a good copy of his Midway Showman as well.
Is this book still avaliable? I clicked the link but it is dead? =(
Its at Amazon now.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004EJP580/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1295991305&sr=1-1&condition=new
You are the Man Don! Thank you!
I actually got 10 copies,trying to get rid of 9!
Book arrived today, what a tresure trove of information! I look forward to reading this book tonight! Thanks Don!
I just ordered this book today....and I expect it will be nothing less than AWESOME! If not, I'll just blame Don! LOL!!!
I get blamed for everything else that goes wrong...I can take the heat.
Well....the book got delivered - and it got here quick!

Here's just the opinion of a new guy - ME!: If you are someone like myself who just wants to start pitching products part-time (kitchen gadgets, automotive stuff - any kind of demo product), then you will learn far more about pitching (as a whole) by investing in Don's DVD. If you need a good script for products other than Svens, you can surely find a good one on YouTube.

That being said, it's not that there isn't anything good in the book, but at least with the actual pitch scripts, you can find far better ones by doing a little research. Still, it's a good book if you like nostalgia.

Again, this is all just my own opinion.