(Close Window)
Topic: Immortality: Impossible Magic
Every now and again I am humbled and reminded of my own mortality. As much as I hate to face it, as I don't believe anyone enjoys looking down the barrel of a gun, one day I'll die. While meditating on the loss of some large names this past year, Gary Coleman, Michael Jackson, Carl Ballantine, and Farah Facet to name a few, my mind began to wonder over the many magical mysteries that is life itself.

Death is only a natural part of the cycle of life. The only ultimate reason why we are born is to die. However, it isn't birth, or death that is the important issue that we all must face; but rather what happens between the two. What our journey in life will be like, who will be the people we will meet and to what ultimate effect we will have on their lives? If you stop and think about a single day that you live, consider just how many interactions you have with how many different people. From the "hello" to the guy walking his dog, to the fight you had with a co-worker over who gets to take their break first. Each and every single person and interaction bears with it the potential to be a moment that they may never forget, and it may have enough impact on them that it will influence the rest of their day, life, or even how the interact with others. All because of you.

I've heard it said that life is like a still pool of water, and everything that we do is like tossing rock into that pool. The ripples caused in the wake of that rock affect a lot more than just the immediate area around it. I guess the only thing left to be determined is just how big of a rock do you plan to be tossing?

I went to my magic shelf prior to writing this, and I was thumbing through a book there. It's a trophie book of mine really, consisting nothing more than memories from my first (and only) three years spent at the Magic Castle. The book is the tour guide book that you can purchase at the gift shop. I had a tradition where I'd have the guest performers sign the book, and occasionally if I had an important guest there of my own, I'd have them sign too so as to immortalize the evening. As I was leafing through the book I came across one signature. It read: "Never forget that you are also an inspiration to all you encounter." -Katey

Wow. Suddenly that single often overlooked signature meant more to me than all of the other celebrity and whose-who of the magic world whose names shared space in that book. That is some powerful advice. I don't know what miss Katey is doing now, or what she took away from our meeting that night, but one thing I do know for sure: I touched her life, and left a mark.

As performers we get so use to being in the spotlight that I feel we often take for granted the little things like meeting a stranger in a bar, and doing just a little magic while they wait for their party to get out of the restroom. To us, it's just another double lift, followed by a pop out move, into a double blindfolded helix reversal ending with the jazz hands style "Ta-Dah!" But to the people we're around, it's something more. We can never forget that we leave impressions with people no matter what the occasion is.

In retrospect, I wonder what kind of legacy I'll leave behind? More importantly, weather or not living my life the way I have was worth it. Should I have taken more chances, should I have taken less? Should I have had the chocolate milkshake or the strawberry? Whose to say that a different choice would have produced different results anyways? I guess the real lesson learned here is to take no day for granted, to live life to the fullest, and remember that life is a stage: Give it your best performance even if you think you're playing to the empty house, and when the curtain call comes, give them something to think about as you are on your way out!

Immortality isn't a magic trick that any of us can learn. the only immortality that we can hope to achieve is the kind granted by others memories of who we were as an individual. We're all in this together, and no one is going to make it out alive. Our best option is to try and make each day we live just that much easier for the rest of us. Maybe someone will cut us a break too along the way.
All golden lads and lasses must
as chimney sweeps, come to dust.

Nice post.
Personally I think we are all ***ed. The ship is going down. So it's best we try to touch those around us - be it through love, mystery or laughter - because we may as well enjoy the sinking.