(Close Window)
Topic: Looking for High Quality Chinese linking rings with lock system
Hi,
I'm looking for an high quality Linking rings set with a good locking system,
do you know where I can buy it?
everywhere I can see just the classic set with no lock system or sometime I can see just the magnetic lock, but who sell that locking system I saw few year later that one I can give the key ring to to spectator?
thanks.
You can see this demonstrated on my web site http://www.petebiro.com clik on video clip and scroll to see Joe Porper demonstrate. This is a new locking system created by Porper and I.
[quote]
On 2010-06-02 11:01, Fabricem wrote:
...but who sell that locking system I saw few year later that one I can give the key ring to to spectator?
thanks.
[/quote]
You only seen that in your dreams!
WHOA... WM... you could hand the Himber Locking Key out... Karrell Fox did, and if you look at the video clip on my site of Porper's new one you can hand that to someone too.
Just missed my chance to get Porper's Ghost Ring (Large size) in ebay...
His new locking ring is better. See it at http://www.petebiro.com and look at VIDEO CLIPS and scroll to see Porper do his rings.
Joe Porer. Simply the best.
[quote]
On 2010-06-02 12:05, Pete Biro wrote:
You can see this demonstrated on my web site http://www.petebiro.com clik on video clip and scroll to see Joe Porper demonstrate. This is a new locking system created by Porper and I.
[/quote]

Isn't that, "… created by Porper and me" not Porper and I?

Anyway, these new examinable rings are not listed on Porper’s website to purchase. Nor is the price listed.
Hey Pete, I did not see any rings on your site either. What up? Are you dreaming along with Fabricem?
Klik on video clips and scroll. Joe shows the three rings with the examinable locker. NO DREAM HERE. Ask R. Paul Wilson (it's his voice you hear). Not to give anyehing away, but when Joe "taps" one ring onto the other the inner mechanism opens.

email Joe at joeporper@hotmail.com and tell him I sent you for information.
[quote]
On 2010-06-06 10:45, wmhegbli wrote:
[quote]
On 2010-06-02 11:01, Fabricem wrote:
...but who sell that locking system I saw few year later that one I can give the key ring to to spectator?
thanks.
[/quote]

You only seen that in your dreams!
[/quote]

Richard Ross had a locking key that could be handed out to the audience. A friend of mine in the Netherlands made it for him.

[quote]
On 2010-08-18 20:56, Pete Biro wrote:
Klik on video clips and scroll. Joe shows the three rings with the examinable locker. NO DREAM HERE. Ask R. Paul Wilson (it's his voice you hear). Not to give anyehing away, but when Joe "taps" one ring onto the other the inner mechanism opens.

email Joe at joeporper@hotmail.com and tell him I sent you for information.
[/quote]

I saw this system at the IBM in San Diego. It definitely works.

There was one made a while back called the "Q-Ring" or the Quantum Ring. The people who made it had NO concept of how this was supposed to be handled. At a dealer's booth, they would hand a magician the key and say, "See if you can open this." The location of the opening was obvious. It required a special knack to make it work.

That was NO good, because any fool could see where the work happened. The Porper-Biro ring is not like this at all. It's done correctly.
Right oh Sage... But Hegbli is right in one way... MY IDEAS START IN MY DREAMS... then I go to Porper and he figures out how to make. Some take dozens of prototypes that get thrown away... some never work... but when they do... Whoopie...
Dear Mr. Biro, If I join Ghost key ring with ordinary ring together and put those two rings in the hands of an audience member could she during the performance unlock them? Let say I do Whit Haydn's Comedy 4 Ring Routine. Thanks for the answer.
If you do Whit Haydn's routine you do NOT want a locking key. Trust me on this one.

Jim
Hi, well here is my problem. I am creating my own routine for my new show. I am still working on the act. I want to use 2 key rings. I don't know how invincible the Ghost key rings are because I never saw them except on Joe Porper video presentation. I personally don't like the false count. What I want is that I clearly show 2 rings and put them together. I want to put the same rings in the hand of the audience member and than took the second set of rings, which will be with the gap and also put them together and than I want to continue with the act. At the end I want to use the same rings which I give it to the audience member and unlink them. Now, some of you will probably say why or look how Whit’s is good with misdirection but every time I am watching at others linking rings routine, there is so much fumbling (I hope this is the right word) with the false count. I want at the beginning and the end clearly showed that her rings can be unlinked too. So I want to know if Ghost rings can be used like that. Of course I want to know what the difference between Ghost and Master key rings is. The picture at Joe Porper page is the same.
[b]GHOST RING... NO... Locking ring OK.[/b]
Thank you Mr. Biro, today I just received yours Comedy Linking Rings from Stevens magic. Can't wait to read it.
Thanks for your purchase. Enjoy the book.
Just wondering if anyone has some experience with the Owens Locking Key Ring - I have a set of Owens Rings and I am interested in adding a locking key to my set.
Any input on what locking key ring is the best to work with, in terms of ease of use, whether it can be opened and closed with one hand, etc, would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers!
If you want it to match your other rings you need the Owen locking key. It can be opened with one hand. Closed? Not sure, I have very little hand strength and couldn't do it, but someone with a strong grip may be able to.
I had and just sold an Owen 12" locking key ring. Like Pete I could open it with one hand but not close it one handed. Furthermore, when locked closed the seam was obvious if it was handed out (I'd never hand it out). I was used for a chain that used two keys. One locked closed and the other hidden in the standard way. I worked in the routine. At the point it was introduced and used it was not handed out.
I have the Owen 12 inch locking key. I can open it easily with one hand. I can also close it with one hand most of the time. The problem is not having sufficient strength but more maintaining the grip on the ring. I find the ring which is very smooth slips between my fingers. If my hand and ring are perfectly dry, a one hand closing is not hard. But in all practicality, a one hand closing cannot be done reliably. Currently I don't use the locking key in the current 6 ring routine found in my latest book and DVD.

Larry
I goota say, Joe Porper's looks really nice. A bit out of my price range right now though.
Karrell Fox gave me his 3 ring routine in the early '70s. I've used it since 1978. At the start of the routine, the girl (audience assistant) holds all the rings and I have her look at them.

I've now been retired for a few years, but I would estimate those rings have seen in the neighborhood of 9000 audiences. I have never had the girl see anything! I use the rings for adults, colleges, high schools, and elementary schools. It's simply a matter of audience management.

DANTE used the "standard 8". As he finished the routine, he would tell tha audience that "...up in Chicago, there is a store that sells these rings. Across the street, is a store that sells violins.
--you need to learn how to play!"

The rings I use, came from India (yes). They are beginning to show some wear. --but, they're still very usable. When Karrell died, I inherited his rings. Maybe I should start using my backups!

I'm sure that what I'm about to say has happened to other experienced magicians. I was behind the counter at Magic Inc. one Saturday (about 30 years ago) and a young lad asked to see the Ed Drane "parlor size" rings. I showed him a few very basic moves. A boy standing nearby said, "I have a set of those at home, but mine don't work like that!"

With any trick that requires skill: THE PERFORMER IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE PROP!!!

If Karrell had not given me his routine, I would most definitely be using WHIT HAYDN'S FOUR RING ROUTINE. I have his original hand written MS, which Hersy Basham gave me years ago. I've only seen it done once (in person) by 'Brother Paul' (the guy who is selling the "STUPID BEAN TRICK")at a Renaissance Fair. One performance by 'Brother Paul' definitely convinced me!

I haven't seen Joe Porper's key, but everything else that I've seen of his (courtesy of Rainboguy)is "magic jewelry".
Maybe Aftereight can clarify, but I believe he is saying, when the 2 rings are handed to the spectator, he wants them to handle the 2 rings as well. I take that from his comment when he mentioned Whit's routine above. I don't believe any locking system allow the rings to be banged against each other.

Looks like we have 3 members asking different questions, instead of starting their own threads. This is getting confusing as to which question is being referred to in the helping answers.
[quote]
On 2013-02-16 07:55, Dick Oslund wrote:
Karrell Fox gave me his 3 ring routine in the early '70s. I've used it since 1978. At the start of the routine, the girl (audience assistant) holds all the rings and I have her look at them.

I've now been retired for a few years, but I would estimate those rings have seen in the neighborhood of 9000 audiences. I have never had the girl see anything! I use the rings for adults, colleges, high schools, and elementary schools. It's simply a matter of audience management.

DANTE used the "standard 8". As he finished the routine, he would tell tha audience that "...up in Chicago, there is a store that sells these rings. Across the street, is a store that sells violins.
--you need to learn how to play!"

The rings I use, came from India (yes). They are beginning to show some wear. --but, they're still very usable. When Karrell died, I inherited his rings. Maybe I should start using my backups!

I'm sure that what I'm about to say has happened to other experienced magicians. I was behind the counter at Magic Inc. one Saturday (about 30 years ago) and a young lad asked to see the Ed Drane "parlor size" rings. I showed him a few very basic moves. A boy standing nearby said, "I have a set of those at home, but mine don't work like that!"

With any trick that requires skill: THE PERFORMER IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE PROP!!!

If Karrell had not given me his routine, I would most definitely be using WHIT HAYDN'S FOUR RING ROUTINE. I have his original hand written MS, which Hersy Basham gave me years ago. I've only seen it done once (in person) by 'Brother Paul' (the guy who is selling the "STUPID BEAN TRICK")at a Renaissance Fair. One performance by 'Brother Paul' definitely convinced me!

I haven't seen Joe Porper's key, but everything else that I've seen of his (courtesy of Rainboguy)is "magic jewelry".
[/quote]

AMEN, Dick!!!

Personally, I get a "charge" out of doing the Linking Rings 'cause everyone has seen the trick but FEW have been totally mystified and amazed when they see a stellar performance....

It's THE PERFORMER who brings magic, mystery and the thrill of total wonderment to the audience, NOT the prop!
Dick O... Jade was working behind the counter at a shop in San Francisco, a couple of guys came in and asked if they had the ring trick. She did her routine, and the guy said, [b]"No, that's not the one, I want one like the guy at Fisherman's Wharf has, with the ring that has a slit in it."[/b] :) :)

Go to http://pete-biro.com/tricks/ and look for Porper demonstrating his locking key. The voice in background is R. Paul Wilson. I shot the video with my Flip camera.
Thanks Pete! I just watched Joe Porper demoing his locking key. In words of one syllable: W O W !