(Close Window)
Topic: Magician doing balloons (starting out)
Message: Posted by: swingjunkie (Jun 3, 2010 10:01PM)
Hi, my name is Randall. I am a magician a heart, but can use some extra money doing balloons at restaurants that might not be down for magic. I'd also like to be able to make some balloons after my shows for kids.

I have Balloon School, but would like to know how to get the most, quality sculptures for my money starting out. I'll probably never make a huge sculpture, and don't need to know how to make a 14 balloon portable jungle gym.

Could someone please tell me, if I were to drop about $200 or so on balloon DVDs, what would you recommend?
Message: Posted by: coma185 (Jun 4, 2010 05:57AM)
I would recommend Bad to the Balloon 1 & 2, Patricia Burnell's Twisted Critters, Mad Hatz and Wild Wearables Vol 1 & 2 to start with. Don's stuff is amazing but can be time consuming, I do some of his stuff for line work and others I do for special occasions and to help me book my next gig.

Good luck, I started the same way and now I enjoy the balloons more than the magic
Message: Posted by: Graham Lee (Jun 4, 2010 08:30AM)
There are some basic instructions on the balloon forum http://www.balloonchat.co.uk and some more advanced models with all the instructions on how to make them on the model of the month section.
Message: Posted by: jimhlou (Jun 6, 2010 09:58PM)
Go to youtube.com, type in "balloon twisting", and there are dozens of very good videos showing how to make various balloon animals.

Jim
Message: Posted by: alee7371 (Jun 7, 2010 12:04AM)
Check out "Buster Balloon" or Jonathon Fudge in you-tube. Both have excellent balloon animals.
Message: Posted by: Rob the Balloon Guy (Jun 7, 2010 02:58AM)
I will second the Buster Balloon recommendation. I will go so far as to say that he's got the best beginning video instructions out there, and they're totally free!

http://www.busterballoon.com/BusterBalloon.com/Learn_How_To_Twist/Learn_How_To_Twist.html
Message: Posted by: Bad to the Balloon (Jun 7, 2010 03:10PM)
Het I got a family to feed!!! quit pumping out the free videos.....

I kid of course.....

but when your ready to learn the fastest restaurant work that impresses people I do recommend Bad to the Balloon #1 & #2 . Not only do I endorse them I own the company!!
Message: Posted by: seanmcd51 (Jun 7, 2010 03:49PM)
I can say that I self taught by doing the you-tube thing and going through portfolios of balloon artists.

I still bought Bad to the Balloon 1 AND 2 - both are great and EXACTLY what you're looking for. I'm not kissing Mark's a** here. They're quick, 2 - 3 balloons. Mostly 260's. Not only recognizable but downright impressive.

Because I'm more balloon artist than magician I also have Caldwell's videos. I love them and they are some of my favorites. But it doesn't sound like you want to spend ~7 minutes on a balloon sculpture.

Do yourself a favor and get B2tB 1&2.

Hi Mark. Hi Rob. Funny meeting you guys here.
Message: Posted by: Bad to the Balloon (Jun 7, 2010 09:21PM)
[quote]
On 2010-06-07 16:49, seanmcd51 wrote:
I can say that I self taught by doing the you-tube thing and going through portfolios of balloon artists.

I still bought Bad to the Balloon 1 AND 2 - both are great and EXACTLY what you're looking for. I'm not kissing Mark's a** here. They're quick, 2 - 3 balloons. Mostly 260's. Not only recognizable but downright impressive.

Because I'm more balloon artist than magician I also have Caldwell's videos. I love them and they are some of my favorites. But it doesn't sound like you want to spend ~7 minutes on a balloon sculpture.

Do yourself a favor and get B2tB 1&2.

Hi Mark. Hi Rob. Funny meeting you guys here.
[/quote]

You may kiss away :P
Thanks Sean
Message: Posted by: FuDD (Jun 8, 2010 12:12AM)
Its been said. BTTB 2 is all I own currently.(was the only one in stock at the local magic shop)Williams Magic, love it...Dons stuff is great from what Ive seen and read,though I have yet to purchase any of his dvds.

Ive also Enjoyed Ed Chee Hat Attack and Hat Attack the sequel.

http://www.MBD2.com
http://www.Balloon-animals.com
and like Graham Lee said
http://www.balloonchat.co.uk
Message: Posted by: Bad to the Balloon (Jun 8, 2010 09:46PM)
Alright to Fudd and anyone else reading this thread. Free shipping for one month on Bad to the Balloon #1 or #2 or both.

Since I am a bit lazy... I will slip a $5 bill in with your orders. Because otherwise I have to change my paypal parameters. It will bill you $30 but you will pay $25.

Use a the code : FFM (Free for ME) in the note section on your order no code no discount!!!

http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon

This expires midnight on July 8th!!!
Message: Posted by: montymagi (Jun 8, 2010 10:42PM)
I have to second that. I would say that Marks videos are perfect for restaurant. Quick and cute and that is where the money is in restaurants. I have three or four big things I do for birthdays or special occasions and some stuff I picked up along the way, but if you make even half of what you will find on bad to the balloon 1 & 2 you will be doing great.
Message: Posted by: BIGmagiclV (Jun 24, 2010 10:33PM)
I'm in the same boat as the original poster. Magician who does a little balloon twisting at the end of the show. I do very basic stuff. Dog, sword, giraffe.
Now, my question is...how the hell do you remember more than that? how do you memorize anything more sophisticated? Is it all about muscle memory? Do I have to fill my apartment with mutant failed balloon twistings? Help!
Message: Posted by: coma185 (Jun 25, 2010 05:54AM)
Bigmagic, for me it's about knowing what I am making and not so much memorization. For example, if I'm making a bear, I will say nose, 2 connectors, chin, ear forehead, ear chin, twist instead of 1" bubble, .5" bubble, .5" bubble ect. Also this works when you are doing new designs for a client and you don't have the muscle memory yet, just stop and think what you are making and the twists will come.

Hope that helps

Coma
Message: Posted by: BIGmagiclV (Jun 25, 2010 02:54PM)
For me, I have to do 1 balloon items fairly fast as I only have a limited time. Do you recommend any others I can do easily and fast?
Message: Posted by: coma185 (Jun 25, 2010 08:16PM)
Sword, dog, ladybug/turtle, monkey, tiger, bear
Message: Posted by: Bad to the Balloon (Jun 25, 2010 09:18PM)
[quote]
On 2010-06-24 23:33, BIGmagiclV wrote:
Now, my question is...how the hell do you remember more than that? how do you memorize anything more sophisticated? Is it all about muscle memory? Do I have to fill my apartment with mutant failed balloon twistings? Help!
[/quote]

I am missing the Gene to do my own taxes.....
Message: Posted by: Kevinr (Jun 25, 2010 09:54PM)
[quote]
On 2010-06-24 23:33, BIGmagiclV wrote:
How the hell do you remember more than that? how do you memorize anything more sophisticated? [/quote]

Just like learning a new magic trick doing it over and over makes flow better..

Don Caldwell Mad Hats and Wild Wearables cant be beat!
Message: Posted by: Scott O. (Jul 5, 2010 02:11PM)
I received Bad to the Balloon Vol 1 the other day. I now have added a shark, a dolphin and a (Modified) duck to my repertoire. There are others on the DVD, but these were easy to do and remember.

BIGmagiclV, I do balloons as an add-on for B-days. So I do quick, one or two balloon creations. If you do the same ones over and over and then add a new one every once in a while, the list starts to get fairly long.
Mine includes, lion, cat, wiener dog, tiger, teddy bear, giraffe, airplane, sword, flower, bunny, flying mouse, guitar, ray gun, monkey in a tree, elephant, humming bird, butterfly, heart, alien hat, Dinosaur, pig, poodle, and now the dolphin, shark, duck and a fun frog. That's 26. Not an exhaustive list, but enough to satisfy the desires or most kids. Just make it your business to add a new model this week.
Message: Posted by: twistedace (Jul 5, 2010 02:58PM)
Learn how to make a few basic balloons and balloon hats. I like being able to make balloons that kids can wear. The sword and poodle are a must as well.
Message: Posted by: Bad to the Balloon (Jul 11, 2010 11:35PM)
[quote]
On 2010-07-05 15:11, Scott O. wrote:
I received Bad to the Balloon Vol 1 the other day. I now have added a shark, a dolphin and a (Modified) duck to my repertoire. There are others on the DVD, but these were easy to do and remember.

BIGmagiclV, I do balloons as an add-on for B-days. So I do quick, one or two balloon creations. If you do the same ones over and over and then add a new one every once in a while, the list starts to get fairly long.
Mine includes, lion, cat, wiener dog, tiger, teddy bear, giraffe, airplane, sword, flower, bunny, flying mouse, guitar, ray gun, monkey in a tree, elephant, humming bird, butterfly, heart, alien hat, Dinosaur, pig, poodle, and now the dolphin, shark, duck and a fun frog. That's 26. Not an exhaustive list, but enough to satisfy the desires or most kids. Just make it your business to add a new model this week.
[/quote]

If you do the dragon you can skip the wings to make it faster. This one even impresses teenagers!!!

Glad you like the DVD .... ready for #2 yet?
Message: Posted by: Scott O. (Jul 12, 2010 11:29AM)
Mark, Not yet. Like I said above, I add a couple at at time. You've got some easier and some more advanced hats. I started with the ones that were the quickest and produced a lot of bang for the buck. Love your stuff.

The point in this thread is that a person can very easily learn and remember enough balloon creations to add extra value to your magic shows. I started with the "One Balloon Zoo" book several years ago. Pretty basic stuff in there, but most of what I make is quick and easy. By no stretch of the imagination would I hire myself out strictly as a balloon artist. But after a birthday party, the kids just love getting a balloon.
Message: Posted by: magicguyri (Oct 7, 2010 11:48PM)
If reading a book is not too "low tech", I would suggest: How to Blow Up Animals: A Beginner's Guide to Fun With Balloons [Paperback] Lon Cerel (Author), Henny Youngman (Contributor)

http://www.amazon.com/How-Blow-Up-Animals-Beginners/dp/1419678469/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1286513210&sr=8-1
Message: Posted by: Bad to the Balloon (Oct 8, 2010 07:59PM)
[quote]
On 2010-10-08 00:48, magicguyri wrote:
If reading a book is not too "low tech", I would suggest: How to Blow Up Animals: A Beginner's Guide to Fun With Balloons [Paperback] Lon Cerel (Author), Henny Youngman (Contributor)

http://www.amazon.com/How-Blow-Up-Animals-Beginners/dp/1419678469/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1286513210&sr=8-1
[/quote]

Great idea Lon!!!

Windy says hi!!
Message: Posted by: pepita (Oct 8, 2010 09:27PM)
Concerning memory, it can be useful to print a menu of the sculptures you have learnt.

In every book or dvd, you will only keep the sculptures you like, so in the end you will have your own booklet with selections from different sources.

I have several menus, with one-ballon/two-balloon/etc... sculptures, which I use according to the number of kids and the time I have.

What is nice with them is that after a while you may become tired of twisting that same little dog, which the kids always ask (I still don't know why, by the way ! Why not a cat ?).
If they have a look at your menu, they are more likely to choose different things.

For those who are not afraid of French language there is this forum with a few tutorials:
http://balloonforum-fr.com/
Look at the 'tutos' section.

And you have a lot on Ballonhq.