(Close Window)
Topic: Music for a comedy act for general audience
Café members,
I am setting up a 20 minutes comedy act suitable for all ages and sex. What type of music would be suitable?
I have a 45 second fanfare. The rest I want to be comedy music. When searching stock music sites I am geting mostly cartoon music. I am afraid that if this type of music is used it wound be branded as a children's magic.

any openion?
Solo piano (ragtime)

Also -- check Tommy Wonder's available work -- he used classics.
[quote]
On 2010-06-08 15:12, chmara wrote:
Solo piano (ragtime)

Also -- check Tommy Wonder's available work -- he used classics.
[/quote]

Solo piano (ragtime) is good suggestion
Thanks a lot

any other?
Hi Sherifmayika,
I find the best music to use comes from movie soundtracks. There is no such thing as "comedy music" unless you want something with odd sound effects mixed in. Background music in any movie is usually composed to relate a mood or feeling to the audience. I suggest you pick a few well known movies - they can be comedy, drama, or even horror - and listen to what is being played at specific points in the action. You will probably have to do some editing, but to fit a particular act you would most likely have to do that anyway. My favorite composers for this kind of music are; John Williams, Danny Elfman, James Newton Howard, James Horner, Dave Grusin, Hans Zimmer, Randy Newman, Lalo Schifrin, Quincy Jones and Henry Mancini. All have done many movies and have loads of useable music for practically any mood, and most of them are instrumental so you don't have to edit out voices. Good luck!
Bruce
Bruce,
Thanks for the advice.
I have movie scores from Sound ideas, Smart sound Music Bakery and Partners in rhyme. My worry is that all the music labeled as comedy seems like suitable for kids show (may be my wrong assumption) I can't select a few which are suitable for a adult also.

chmara advice was an eye opener for me to a new direction. I am looking for some thing specific ideas. Because I am not a music guy.

sherif
Henry Mancini makes some good funny classical music.

Try his song Baby Elephant Walk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Nh49a8q2E4
That is a cool one.
A lot of Henry Mancini's movie songs are valuable for comedy, specially since ther're no lyrics.

Oliver.
To expand a little further on Bruce's comments, we did a comedy routine which involved audience members participating on stage; I decided to use some heavy drama music to make the comedy seem more bizzare and... it worked perfectly!

The magician really hammed-it up, which made the comedy effect even greater.

Good luck!
Tommy
Oliver,
I agree I collected a few Henry Mancini's movie songs. They are fantastic.
Tommy,
Thanks for the help. I will try this. If I understand correctly we have to give extra care while using heavy drama music as they may over power the show some times. Am Correct?
Well, the short answer: yes AND no. Depending on what you're doing, and if you're comfortable enough with the routine, you could let the music lead you. But unnecessary, obnoxious antics could overdue it. All things in moderation is my motto.

Gotta share this story:
There was a guy at the World Magic Seminar in 2000 (forget his name --maybe someone here was there?) who did a cane routine to the Tom Jones piece, 'It's Not Unusual'. I was having a bit of a rough time with getting our CD's to be delivered (we were dealers)...incredibly distraught. Despite my overwhelming depression, this fellow made me laugh so hard my stomach hurt for 2 days. His act started out kinda normal ('Usual),...Upbeat, sorta 70's sleaze-ball 'Vegas' (for lack of better terms). As he progressed through the routine, he started missing a few steps. Nothing huge, but noticeable. Then a few more, then a prop was knocked over, then the cane misfired, all the while trying to act as though it was a normal (serious) routine; almost like how Inspector Clouseau might act at a crime scene. I can't remember the exact sequence, but his timing was dead-on. I'd have to say it's a given that your timing in any comedy routine is EVERYTHING. But he picked THE perfect song to go with it. I immediately thought it was going to be a "Gee, I've seen this a million times...", and it wasn't --at all.

Drama, pop music,...something that may lead the audience into thinking you're going one way, but are headed the other; that's one small example of how effective music can be, IMHO anyway.

Who knows, maybe you'll find something nice on our brand new RXP-1 release! (sorry, couldn't resist).
Take care, and I hope you find the prefect track.
Tommy
http://www.opus1productions.com
I'll second opus1 productions music, great stuff!
bob