(Close Window)
Topic: Name of effect?
I can remember seeing a remarkable routine on YouTube by a Chinese performer.

He had a rectangular shaped jig-saw. Sized approximately 18"x12".
Made up of different sized and shaped pieces, and it was held together in a picture-frame type holder.

The pieces were geometric shaped and not regular jig-saw pieces.
He would remove one from the jigsaw. But by moving the pieces around would create a complete jig-saw again.

This was repeated several times. A nice effect.

Hope my explanation makes sense!

regards,
WulfieSmith
This sounds like the Bernard Billis puzzle we're talking about further down in this forum:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=361750&forum=101&6

Check out the links, and see if that's what you're thinking of.
Hi Scott,
a big thanks for the reply.

No, this is not the routine I meant.
BUT it IS fantastic.

It is the same puzzle in reverse.
In the Bernard Billis puzzle you keep adding a piece, and it still fits back into the box. The routine I am talking about has the performer remove a piece each time. But the puzzle still re-assembles and fits back into the box.

Now I want both ... my starting point being,
WHERE CAN I BUY THE BILLIS PUZZLE??

regards,
Wulfie
The Bernard Billis puzzle effect comes up from time to time here on the Café. Does anyone know if the EXACT version he performs is available for sale?

Not the version currently sold on ebay from Hong Kong and not the William Freer version but the exact one made in wood as performed by Mr. Billis?

For some reason when this is discussed people always talk about the other versions available and not the one in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWgTEoDXfxs
Wow- I love this effect. Please let me know if you find this.
Found this in another thread.

http://www.stevensmagic.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=88_90_10&products_id=111998
You can perform the Freer puzzle in either direction. You can start with the maximum number of pieces and remove one or you can start with the minimum number and add one.

BTW, Bilis is spelled with only one L.
Both versions are included for those magic carpenters who want to make this themselves in my Mini-Mysteries "Winston Freer's Tile Deal Puzzle" e-Book on my site.
I've tried the effect both ways and I think taking the pieces out one by one leaves you with a stronger visual ending -- the impossibility of the three pieces that won't fit back in the frame. I have the John Rogers puzzle, pricey, but I highly recommend it.

Marc
Karl Norman also makes a fine Winston Freer model using a tile story (loss/chipped tile where a piece is removed three times). He surrounds the board with a frame made of rulers to show it starts and ends with a 9" X 7" area. It is a beautiful wooden product. He made 2 versions; one with white tiles and another with dark hardwood.