(Close Window)
Topic: I Figured the Trick out, So I Bought It
YouTube surfing the other day, I came across a video of a magician I've never heard of, demonstrating an amazing impromptu magic trick. Being the seasoned and fairly knowledged magician that I am, I was able to download the video, play it in GOM player, move frame-by-frame, and figure the method out. Woohoo! I now know a great impromptu magic trick without even having to buy it to learn the method! So, I researched the name, found the distributor of the magic trick, and spent $25 for the manuscript and dvd. If you're saying "What?" right now, you need to get your magic morals in check.

Magically, Jack McCoy
For a seasoned and fairly knowledged magician, I suppose the question as to why you would want to play it in a GOM player, then move it frame by frame to figure out the method should be raised don't you think? I see nothing moral about that.
Jack, I can see a gloriole growing on you. How does it feel?
I've always tried to figure tricks out first, just as a personal challenge. But, regardless of which comes first, the ability or the secret, I always support the creator. They deserve it.
Magically, Jack
Good on ya', Jack. Wish more felt (and acted) that way...
Ethics aside, it seems to me that if you're serious about [i]mastering[/i] a trick that you took the time to merely "[i]figure out[/i]", you'd buy the manuscript anyhow to gain all the insights that the creator offers.

People who pirate DVDs and copy manuscripts are simply ignorant "info hoarders", and their magic will never really go anywhere.

Will even ONE successful, professional DVD pirate/master magician stand up to challenge me on this? Didn't think so; because they don't exist.