(Close Window)
Topic: OxF, 3CM, 3CFrustrating...
Do these titles bother anyone else? Cross product confusion frustration, wow! Okay, I've said my piece...
I'm okay with that :P
Seriously - If they called them what they are, like Nesting Shell Set with Magnetic Flipper. That would be so much clearer.
Tony

As with every occupation, hobby, academic enderver, etc there is a short hand. I work in the corporate tax world we deal in APA, ERISA, TEFRA, COGS, SOL, check the box, 482, 861. All of these are short hand code. In magic we have the same thing. For those who know it is easy, for those that don't it is confusing and requires translation. Or a Bao (that lucky guy)said "I'm okay with that".

Joe
Besides, it exercises those brain cells.
I tend to agree with Tony. All the cryptic acronyms do are cause people who donít know to ask and commonly receive answers just as cryptic - with most of the letters missing in that really fun game of Ex*****d s***l, f*****r,etc. Someone recently posted a question about replacement bands for flippers and had "flipper" typed out but used b**d to hide the word "band"! Just an example of how confused people can get when trying to please all the strict members who donít want any "secret" words used in the forums. Kinda crazy IMO. I donít think many - if any - non-magicians lurk in here just trying to learn our "secret words".

I do agree with manreb that all occupations have acronyms and we should expect them in magic. However the ones mentioned in Tony's original post are good examples of poor acronyms. Not sure why Schoolcraft names his wares like that but they ARE his, after all so I can't whine too awful much. But another problem arises when someone tries to describe a 3CM, 3CF, or OxF by using our mysterious asterisked codewords! Actually it is downright comical at times.

Jim
Manreb - I appreciate secrets and specialized trade names. And I have been doing coins and magic long enough that I have a basic understand of the various apparatus.

But I agree with J-Mac, these appear to be poor acrostics (althought I will admit, I don't fully understand them). I would be very pleased for some enlightenment as to the specifics of what each letter means. Do you mind pointing me to a description or laying it out on this thread?

Take OxF for instance. From the Schoolcraft web site it appeart to me that the Ox stands for Oxy-Clean, a name given to a routine developed by Eric Jones. The F is obviously for a flipper. If that is right, that really doesn't tell me much. If I'm wrong, then I would very much like to be redirected. Can someone who understand the acrostics to break it down for me?

And for the record, I do respect Jamie Schoolcrafts work. It is my interest in buying something that has me trying to distinguish all these C's and M's and F's.
I also want to understand, especially prior to purchase.

OxF = 110%[ + 100%F
3CF = 110%[ + 100%[ + 90%F
3CM = 110%[ + 100%[ + 90%[ + M

Is my math right?
Okay, I thought I would update this thread.

3CF = Three coin nest with flipper
3CM = Three coin nest with magnet
OxF = Oxyclean & Flipper. Two coin nest with flipper.

All three of these sets are magnetic, and the only flippers he sells are gravity flippers. I hope this helps someone... Not a very consistent acrostic methodology, but at least I get it.
Thanks Tony, for my part I've figured most of this out by now. Different vendors use different names as well.
Part of the Frustrating aspect of the situation is that there is not a clear pipeline:

gaffs + routines = magic

So coming up with a consistent name for the gaffs would help, but the big gap is in the routines (tricks & material) for using them.
There are a FEW books on the TT = 3CM and Eric Jones has done a great job with material for the OxF but there is a real vacuum in the 3CF = TTGF area!

I would like to see a READING LIST for these and other coin gaffs maintained as a permanent topic in this forum!
Good point. I would love to see that as well...
I agree, just got a 3CM and am looking for routines, it is quite confusing but oh well :D
How about the DVD off the Schoolcraft site called 3CM. Anyone have feedback about this as a resource.
Tony, thanks so much for this post!...I had given up trying to decipher these (in my opinion) very poor acronyms