(Close Window)
Topic: Alaskan Zibit!
I am *so* freakin' excited, I just ordered my own Zibit! (Is it here yet?)

My family (me, wife, two teens) live on the road and I've been looking for something outside my "normal" income making for the family to do as we travel. I'd seen mention of the Zibits before, but this time when I "stumbled" across some threads here it hit me -- THIS could be what I've been looking for!

We're in Alaska for the summer (it's our home base) so will get our feet wet up here and then will head south in late September. Down through WA, OR, CA and then across AZ, NM, TX, etc.

And all along the way we're now going to be on the lookout for flea markets and other good places to show our Zibit.

My intention is to show the kids another example of "living outside the box" so they know they have options when they leave home -- a "normal" job while living in one spot isn't a requirement.

I'm going to get my tent and signs ready while I'm waiting for delivery, so by the time it gets here I should be *completely* ready to go.

Yeehaw! =:)

Jay Jennings
Good luck to you my friend!

I have my zibit show ready and will take it out for it's first spin next month at the flea market and then am trying to book in at a local 'community day'.

Enjoy!
Welcome to the family Jay. :) 'Living on the road'...intrigueing...what do you guys do? How do you do it? hmmm...never mind, sounds like a book that needs to be written! :)
Nutshell version: At this point I make most of my living writing and selling online marketing tools (examples below in my sig) -- so as long as I can find a Starbucks with wifi I'm able to work. We sold our house about 2.5 years ago and have been on the road in 208 square feet for two years this September. We summer in Alaska and then head south when the snow starts to hit the mountains.

I'd like to be able to transition from working online to working offline -- doing stuff like busking, zibiting, etc. Living like a gypsy. =:)

I have about 2 more years before my oldest is 18 and want to give my kids some "street skills" they can use whether they decide to work in an office (gag!) or not.

Jay Jennings
Just an update and a question for anyone with Zibit experience who looks in here...

Checked with a local place for my signs and they wanted $240 for the 2x6 -- about $900 total. Maybe they thought I wanted the gold-plated ones? Got them online at worldofbanners.com for $90 including shipping. Even if they're lower quality I can afford to replace them a few times for that price.

Next week I'm taking a trip to Costco for one of their $200 canopies with sidewalls -- unless I spot one on Craigslist before then. Then I just need to wait (patiently!) for the actual Zibit and I'm ready to go.

Question...

My Mom's friend has a nursery (plants, not babies) and sells plants at different farmers markets around the area. She mentioned what I was planning and he said it sounded good, but that $1 was too cheap because anyone who would part with 1 dollar would just as easily part with 2 or 3.

I can think of two reasons why $1 is a better price, but has anyone *tested* charging more? The marketing side of me doesn't like to believe "gut feeling" because testing often proves those wrong.

Jay Jennings
Normally, admission is $2, but today everybody comes in for the single child's price, $1!
Message: Posted by: The Curator of the Unusual (Jul 12, 2010 12:23AM)
Checked with a local place for my signs and they wanted $240 for the 2x6 -- about $900 total. Maybe they thought I wanted the gold-plated ones? Got them online at worldofbanners.com for $90 including shipping. Even if they're lower quality I can afford to replace them a few times for that price

Why? even go for the Worldofbanner BS...why not have Professiional Banners painted and elevate your show into the realm of REAL $$$$$...Even if you blank...the banners if done right, will retain your investment....(has nobody ever heard "Front of the show...gets the Dough")and you would be surprised how reasonable you could get which I can only imagine what your wanting for...
Why? Because right now I don't have the money for $900+ banners. And while I'd rather have quality than crap, I'd rather get started than wait until everything's just right. I'm a big believer in starting, and then improving over time. I've seen a lot of people NOT do stuff because they're "not quite ready."

Jay Jennings

--EDIT--

Plus, at least initially I'm following Doug's recommendations, which is "plain and simple." Paying $900 for black and white banners seems like idiocy.
Message: Posted by: The Curator of the Unusual (Jul 12, 2010 02:04AM)
[quote]
On 2010-07-12 02:46, Jay Jennings wrote:
Why? Because right now I don't have the money for $900+ banners. And while I'd rather have quality than crap, I'd rather get started than wait until everything's just right. I'm a big believer in starting, and then improving over time. I've seen a lot of people NOT do stuff because they're "not quite ready."

Jay Jennings

--EDIT--

Plus, at least initially I'm following Doug's recommendations, which is "plain and simple." Paying $900 for black and white banners seems like idiocy.
[/quote

Black and white banners at any price is Idiocy....
Message: Posted by: Doctor Mythsonian (Jul 12, 2010 08:49AM)
[quote]

[/quote]

So it would seem on face value.
Got my banners from VistaPrint on line. Was like $100 or so for all three.
Message: Posted by: The Curator of the Unusual (Jul 12, 2010 09:52AM)
[quote]
On 2010-07-12 09:49, Doctor Mythsonian wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

So it would seem on face value.
[/quote]

Obviously you play for peanuts...
Message: Posted by: Doctor Mythsonian (Jul 12, 2010 10:29AM)
Me? No way, full color and good, solid graphics all the way, by my own hand. On the other hand, I'm not following a methodology that advocates the simple, plain black and white ones as a proven marketing tool. Just saying.
I use gotprint.com for all my printing. Easy and inexpensive.
http://www.wholesalebannerz.com Been using them for years to make all the banners that I design myself. Inexpensive
Again...the black and whites are just a simple idea for the FLEA MARKETS to attract a certain type of clientele that was not into repsonding to midway Side Show hoopla and a carney look...and to be able to get 'in the game' for little money. It was NEVER intended to replace the time honored methods on the midway or threaten old timers but to reach a different segment in a completely different venue. It worked. It continues to work.

I used fully painted and illustrated banners for my own shows for years. But the black and white idea proved itself for a small single-o in a flea market setting again and again...so please Jim calling it idiocy might make you feel all knowing but it's a bit harsh and rather ignorant.

It is but ONE idea among many. I can't belive we're back at this one up BS again.
The black and white worked well for me as Doug said "To reach a different segment of the market" Fully coloured banners and all the razzmatazz would be better for the midway though.

There seems to be something about a gaudy set up which plants it slightly down market in some peoples minds (Not mine I hasten to add) There again us Brits are known for the conservative feel !!

Ken.
How do conservatives feel?

with their hands.
Not felt one for a while !
Message: Posted by: The Curator of the Unusual (Jul 13, 2010 07:49PM)
[quote]
On 2010-07-13 13:05, Doug Higley wrote:

..so please Jim calling it idiocy might make you feel all knowing but it's a bit harsh and rather ignorant.

It is but ONE idea among many. I can't belive we're back at this one up BS again.
[/quote]

I am/was not trying to be "all knowing"...I was merely answerin a question posed by Mr. Jennings...However, after re-reading the question..I found it was aimed at Folks with Zibit experience...Since I have none, I would like to retract my answer, apologise to Doug and hope that zibit owners everywhere can find it in their Hearts to forgive me....Sincerly...
Thank you Jim. Sincerity appreciated. In all other corners and wide expanse of American Sideshow but my tiny fragment, I defer to your knowledge and experience.
Group Hug!!!
Too old...you go ahead...
[quote]
On 2010-07-13 14:46, Harley Newman wrote:
How do conservatives feel?

with their hands.
[/quote]

Conservatives feel quite pleased at the moment!!

As they got in to govenment despite not having a straight majority. I know our simple ways are nothing compared to your american elections ..... but simple works .... oh wait a minute!
Message: Posted by: The Curator of the Unusual (Jul 14, 2010 07:33PM)
[quote]
On 2010-07-14 10:11, Chance wrote:
Group Hug!!!
[/quote]

As the group prepares for a group Hug...Doug and The Curator duck out the back door..head to the corner Tavern...Have a Beverage and cut-up jackpots...

Later when told.."Hey, you Guys shoulda been at the Group Hug today..Todd R. revealed his new Bearded Dragon w/2-heads, Brett L. swallowed a Dagger, and the Canadian SS performers treated everyone to Tim Horton's donuts..." Doug and The Curator just smiled politely...

Moral of the Story...
No matter how Big the Attraction, How daring the Entertainment, or How tasty the Refreshments..Doug and The Curator "Don't Do Group Hugs!"....
But WE DO EAT DONUTS and partake of Beverages! (don't we?)
Message: Posted by: The Curator of the Unusual (Jul 14, 2010 08:23PM)
[quote]
On 2010-07-14 21:17, Doug Higley wrote:
But WE DO EAT DONUTS and partake of Beverages! (don't we?)
[/quote]

We like most* everything...Except..."Group Hugs"....

*note: most
Frankly I can't handle 'individual' hugs either.

pass the waffles...
MMM Dough nuts. .....

.... oh even better soft pretzels! MMMMM have not had any of them for years! If I thought they would get through customs I would get you all to send me a food parcel! We just don’t have them over here!!! See you have all the best stuff…….

First black president, Best junk food, best doughnuts …. Best doughnut holes, best army, best death penalty, best funny painted 1980s singer (ir Boy George) and well I am sure I am missing something?

Did we manage to fob you off with (err I mean kindly donate) Tony Blaire as well? He has not been seen over here for quite some time (thank goodness) ……… is he missing or is he just stuck up Mr Bushes arse? I guess not now that GWB is no longer president!

But really do feel free to send pretzel parcels ….cinnamon and raisin and or other interesting mixes.
Dave...off your meds again?
Dave... breath o' fresh air?

yes'm, to us'm.

My ...... Wife made me take them again.....

so I am back "down to earth" for a few hours at least! Well she cant watch me all day when she is at work ....

Till tomorrow....

:)
Corn dogs , Dave ,believe me you havent lived until you try a corn dog.Asda did them years ago and stopped ....I yearn for corn dogs.....................
Yeehaw, I picked up Myron today from the mailbox place. He'll be shown by this time Saturday (maybe Friday). =:)

Jay Jennings
Hi Jay,

Saw your post and picture in the Step right up section. Here's a picture of my Zibit set-up:

http://s1033.photobucket.com/albums/a420/wbeach059/?action=view¤t=850A0333.jpg

I used 3/4 inch electrical conduit for the frame to attach the banners to. It's available at home improvement and hardware stores, it's inexpensive, cuts easily with a hack saw, and is more sturdy than plastic PVC. No sagging. The fittings and connectors are available here:

http://www.ysbw.com/3-4-Canopy-Fittings-s/6.htm (Many thanks to Don Driver for originally posting this link!)
Thanks, Bill. I was wondering about conduit, I think I'll go that way. Thanks for the picture and the link to the connectors.

Jay Jennings
I have been stoppin by Yuma Bargain warehouse for years when I do the Yuma County fair. I think I gave out that link some time back..Anyway they and PTM out of LA (Los Angeles) are pretty good..

Regarding the above posted picture. Here is just one minor change that I would do. Its simple, just create a banner, screen or whatever so that from the outside, folks have no comprehension or pre-conceived notion as to the size of the exhibit. Already folks know its a certain size because of the ten foot front---But hey, that's me--your mileage may vary. Heck, one year I walled off the exhibits with a ten foot plywood wall and cut peep holes in it---

My next project plans to be even more audacious and be-fitting the title of America's Smallest Travelling Museum.

I will clue you all in around the end of the year when the units are assembled and ready to go!

ciao

the professor
The screen is a good and logical suggestion, but Zibet Mastermind Doug Higley suggests a wide open front so parents have no qualms about letting Jr. go inside as they see everything from the outside. It's just a table and a box to look into. Nothing threatening.

Doug also suggests that most women do not like surprises either so you get more of them because they can see what they are getting into.

Another advantage is folks outside see their inside friends' reaction which peaks their curiosity as well. People inside often encourage their outside friends to come in sayiing "you gotta see this!"

And finally, in today's world everyone is in a hurry, they can see there is no time investment.

So for flea markets and small festivals or street fairs this simple setup works well for me.
Thanks Bill. For the Fleas, the 'plan' works as is for reasons stated.
When I do my Zibit at the flea market, I tell people who go in that they can take phone pix of the thing. They then show it to the people who didn't wanna spend the buck. Phone pix are really pretty bad, plus the sunlight washes out the pix. Makes 'em hard to see. So the pix pique the enterest of the others and they then wanna go see it. I've found allowing pix really makes a difference.

By the way, I have my signs EXACTLY as Doug recommends. But I do have a "story" rigged up on the wall of the EZ Up and the front of my fish tank, "telling" where the "thing" came from. :) My fish tank is much bigger than Doug suggests because I got it for only $5 at a 2nd hand store. Its size has not really been a prob.

I do not bally, like David Walker does with his "Chupacabra" but I do answer questions and tell 'em they can read the "story" on the wall of the EZ Up. This "story" is 9 pages in page protectors stuck to the inside wall by Velcro. They can't really read it all from outside because the pages extend nearly to the rear wall. I figure it's one more way to make 'em wanna come inside

Jon
[quote]
On 2010-07-25 13:08, Bill Beach wrote:
Hi Jay,

Saw your post and picture in the Step right up section. Here's a picture of my Zibit set-up:

http://s1033.photobucket.com/albums/a420/wbeach059/?action=view¤t=850A0333.jpg
[/quote]

Oh man I can not believe what the punks (generic term for a miscreant rather than a supporter of Punk Music) did to your banners! That must have been such a pain to clean off later! Or did you just buy new ones? ;)

I have to say I kike working Doug’s method – its fun and the people love it. I too use the smallest museum line when talking to people – but then I have a Mini-Mer (very cool) and no reason why banners don’t work with it – Doug chastised me (well sort of) by saying “you got banners for that thing?!!!”).

But as I told him I am used to having a small hairy wrinkly thing that I don’t mind people paying to see – so thought I could make it work.
Okay, it took longer than I planned to show the zibit in a "legit" manner, but I set up at the Anchorage Saturday Market today and the kids and I had a blast. We had 100% satisfied customers and saw *lots* of cases where previous customers came back dragging one or more new people behind them.

Some people leave smiling, and some people leave with a shocked/dumbfounded look on their faces -- it's like you've rocked their normal little world and now they don't know what to believe.

I had a couple people tell me afterwards how they knew it was real. I just smiled, nodded my head, and said, "Uh-huh."

And one lady thought it was a genie, and she was going to bring her friend back next week to verify, since he's apparently an expert on that. (Cue the Twilight Zone music.) I have a prior commitment next week so I won't be there, but I'd kind of like to see what he says. =:)

Jay Jennings
Today my daughter and I set up at the Houston Founders' Day Festival -- I wasn't expecting much because Houston (in Alaska, not Texas) is a *small* place, the population is about 2,000 people.

The booth space cost us $25 and we had to set up SIX freaking hours before most everything started, so the first several hours we made a grand total of $12 -- it was about then that I discovered the "festivities" hadn't actually started and I calmed down.

We went as late as we could but had to turn people away at the last because I didn't have lights in the booth and it was getting too dark to see into the case. Based on the rate people were coming right before we stopped -- and the number of people who came by even after the signs were down, we probably lost at least another $20-$30 because I didn't have a light. Argh!

Even so, we made enough today to pay for more than half a zibit -- so I'm very happy. =:)

It's such a blast when you see someone far away heading for your booth with a dollar clutched in their hand. Or when a group of people stops in front of your booth and they all start talking to each other -- you know they're trying to get *someone* to go first, and as soon as that person walks in and says, "What the @#$% is that?!" the rest of them are digging out their dollars and heading into the booth.

Zibits rule!

Jay Jennings
Message: Posted by: The Curator of the Unusual (Aug 22, 2010 09:13AM)
Just think how much more exciting it gets when your rent for the spot is $5900...and you blew a tranny ($2700)...Payroll is $1400...misc expenses are $400 instead of just $25...as a matter of fact..exciting does not even weigh-in..at that point Dude...your breakin the threshold of Insanity...
Hahaha been there Curator,,,aint the biz great !
If all the world was but Houston Alaska and all you'ld pass up was $20 or $30...
Yeah, yeah, I know you guys are big-time but for me and my kids it's still cool. And it's a start. =:)

Jay Jennings
Good job Jay - keep rocking the zibit and teachin them kids to live out from under "the man"

I admire your tenacity!

./sam
Me and my friend Sideshow Sam is behind ya all the way Jay and so is Kondini who started small with his Higley Zibit (in a 5 foot joint!) and eventually rocked it.

Jim IS big time (and old time) and despite playing the hardazz is really eggin' yo on to bigger and better things someday! You're in the family bud. :)
I took the egging as encouragement -- even if it wasn't meant that way I decided to take it that way. =:)

For anyone who wants to give me a hand, here's what I need...

A good pitch to get people to come inside.

I know some people sit and read books and let the signs do the work, but if I'm going to be setting up and tearing down the booth and standing there for hours, I want to make as much money as possible.

I interact with people a lot, but don't have a specific pitch. Sometimes it's as simple as, "C'mon, you know you want to" or even "Dig out your dollar and get in here!" Most times it's not quite that aggressive (and those kinds of lines are said with a grin to the "right" kind of people), often it's just, "See the strange thing, it's only a buck!"

And that non-line gets people into the booth.

But I'm wondering if I should have some sort of "real" pitch that would work better.

Any ideas?

Jay Jennings
If your doing a traditional sideshow or grind show the old standby grind tape (I'll make you one if you like) still works.

But as you know the type of show you are doing (if you followed my design) and in the smaller confines of a flea market or whatever with a fully open front and a totally BLIND pitch, there is not much you WANT to say. You have some simple yet effecftive copy on the banners and what I did was just say those things IF I was pitching or on a tape. You're selling a minor MYSTERY. Keep it such. But for the most part I just CONNECTED with folks, a smile, a howdy, a buenos dias...size 'em up and invite them in with what ever line I think might trigger movement. haha.
A small town Flea market is a different animal and this show is designed to appear grass roots and down home...just a guy with a silly thing for a buck rather than some slick outfit after their gold. I NEVER got aggressive with this type show. Now others milage will differ but that's the way it was put together.
I would like to see your set up and if you are following the plan. (email me please)

Once you go off the plan, there's many other ways to do it and that's not my arena. :)
[quote]
On 2010-08-23 04:20, Doug Higley wrote:

But for the most part I just CONNECTED with folks, a smile, a howdy, a buenos dias...size 'em up and invite them in with what ever line I think might trigger movement. haha.
[/quote]

Yeah, that's basically what we do -- and in my limited experience seems to be working. Maybe I don't need anything else at this point.

I sent you a PM (wasn't sure which email address to use) with pics of my setup as well as a question about doing the zibit in a larger venue such as a state fair.

Thanks!

Jay Jennings
The How-To Grind Show manual is now OFF Sale. I will be rewriting it with some new concepts and a few major changes. This should please all those who are currently DOING the specific show taught. I'm assuming it must have reached it's saturation point by now so I figure I'll pull it before I hear that there are too many out there with the show. The new version will NOT feature a specific show to be replicated...so you current Zibiteers should be safe from upstarts. :)

It was a great run for a long time but for the sake of all those out there doing the show I'm pulling the plug. Those with the current plan PLEASE respect those doing the show in the field (and me) and NOT offer it or email it or sell it on ebay. That would be VERY un-cool.

Keep your eye open for the new REVISED How-To which will have a different name and purpouse. :)
Actually it will not exactly be a How-To in the strict sense of what it HAS been. I'll no longe be advocating a specific show but the little book will be one of ideas and concepts.
You know when I came up with this SPECIFIC idea for a simple relatively low-cost way to get into the biz...even part time if you wanted to, side show was recieving last rights everywhere. Obituary notices right and left. A little grindshow or sideshow was for the most part a shock or surprise when seen at a flea market or most fairs...out of sight, out of mind so, a surprise for most of the population. Well, that's not the case anymore. It seems everybody and their uncle is knocking nails in their nose, eBay is infested with so-called 'sideshow' gaffs. Vibrant new shows are appearing coast to coast. Sideshow is back, even though still fringe, it's out of the weeds of the cemetary.

Nothing could make me happier! Maybe I had a miniscule part in the re-birth. Cool. When I first started at this, there was me and Frierson...The legasy to be filled at that time was Homer Tate's. I'm happy to continue that portion of my contribution to the growing 'industry' and community...I just think it's time for the 'Strange Thing' show to ride on it's laurels and not continue to feed new clones into the system.

The show and it's parameters are so specific, the elements so interrelated, so refined if you will, that if anything is changed, it is no longer that particular show. And I think at this stage, that's a good thing. Thus I'd like to relinquish all responsibilty for stifling the potential growth of new ideas. This SPECIFIC show has been done for many years. Since the late 80's? (I forget.) That's enough. There are enough out there to entertain the masses...there are enough show folks who got their start with it still doing it. Basically I feel I did my job and if I continue to feed this stuff out there, there comes a point where it will not be beneficial. SO...I made my name with the gaffs. I never meant to be an information source or god forbid a 'guru'. It was just a good idea to share.
You did it as written or you didn't. I think it is still a great idea and yes it still works. Best not to wait till it doesn't. My goal has always been to be helpful not start a religion or be responsible if you make it or don't make it.
Fortunately all those that I'm aware of that followed the plan made it work.

I'm working on a new version as I said. It will contain all the good stuff, the chemistry...it will mainly be the WHY this show worked and how these fundimental principles can be put to work in other types of shows. At least that's the goal. It will not advocate this SPECIFIC show over any other but it will show HOW others used it. It will be up to the showman/woman to get a Zibit and do 'something' with it. You will be able to pull the essence out of it and do irt if you want to...I'll just no longer be an advocate...just an old gaff maker, making and selling dopey ludicrous 'things'.

So what does this mean??? Well...one thing is, it means I no longer have to feel like maybe I should price these to get a 'piece of the action' since you are going to take the Zibit out and make a killing. Yeah, goal is to lower prices somewhat or at least just price this stuff like any other collectable or art object rather than as a mini-business.

I taught a lot of people, got a lot of people into the game, worried over everyone's successes...I have a huge 'family' out there...well...you 'get it' I hope...Hopefully somebody will get creative and take it all to the next level.

I have felt a lot of pride in being able to help a lot of y'all over the years...and most recently to advise Mike Miello (Dr. Mythsonian) on his new show and direction. He has talent to burn! I see fantastic artists like Kevin Gerrone run with Mark Frierson's guidence and turn it into his own. Grind Show is alive and well. Cool.

D

Oh...and yes...I'm still here to consult if you like. I ain't deasd yet...and Higley Zibit will still be made. (unless I hit the lottery.) :)
Message: Posted by: Doctor Mythsonian (Aug 25, 2010 12:41PM)
There's a good reason why I call you 'boss', Doug... many reasons, actually. Serendipity brought us together, and my only regret is not contributing a tenth back to you of what you've done for me in this relationship. 'Mythsonian' as a name was difficult to digest when you suggested it, as I was so attached to my old name and it's establishment, but when I learned to let go of all that, it turned into solid gold. Your marketing and ideas are right on the money. Thank you, sir, for all of your assistance and praise!
Thank you Mike!

Lots of changes here. take nothing for granted...ASK!
Somethings will no longer be made...some new things added. Watch the site!!!

Will be starting a LIST as well for Zibits and stuff ie: "Serving Number 12" etc. with your designated number ON LINE so you can follow progress!...solid delivery dates a goal. Also attempting to start a 'Store 13' concept where there will be certain things IN STOCK for imediate shipment. This will probably be in November.