(Close Window)
Topic: Finding A Stage Name
I've just spent the last couple hours reading threads here from the last few years about stage names -- I'm just posting this in case someone's had a brainstorm lately about coming up with a good stage name (um, not the first pet / street you lived on thing).

I'm getting back into performing after taking a couple decades off and while I think my name is actually a good stage name, I use it in my main business and if someone Googles me about magic I'd rather they find magic-related stuff, and not marketing stuff.

(If I could start over I'd have used a pseudonym for my business -- it makes it awkward now for things like Facebook where I'm interacting with *family* -- I don't feel like I can be myself because people searching for me about business may find personal stuff.)

Since I'm basically starting from scratch I figured this was the perfect time to come up with a name to perform under.

I've come up with several possibilities but the problem I'm running into is those domain names have all been taken. That may not be a compete deal killer, but it would sure be nice to use a name and get the domain, too.

Plus, I'm finding it hard to come up with something that's strong sounding but not cheesy.

I could get a name book and start throwing darts?

Jay Jennings
Go with Doug Henning, he's no longer performing under that name.
You've got a great name. Rolls off the tongue well and is memorable.

Question: what's wrong with people knowing you do internet marketing work and have a personal life? Plus, your internet marketing site seems to not say anything about you anyway (could be a different person for all they know)(would they even get to your marketing site if they are looking for a magician?).

There are several other Scott Burton's out there including a prominent artist and a juggler/speaker. I've never really seen an issue with that personally.

All things being equal, people like to do business with friends and family. The more people get to know you as a person, the more persuasive you can be. Unless, I suppose, your other on-line or off-line identities conflict with the values you are trying to communicate as an entertainer.

With my limited info, my vote is to keep your current name.
I understand what you're saying Scott, but if someone's going to see Max Maven on stage and they Google him and find posts where he's talking about how he's sitting in a service center waiting room because his car broke down, or ranting about what a pain it is to move to a new house -- is that really what he wants people to see?

The stuff I'm talking about isn't bad so it's not a "conflict of values" thing, it's just a disconnect between a public persona and a private persona.

Right now I feel stifled online as *myself* because of doing business under my real name. I figured since I was starting over as a performer I might as well head that future/potential problem off at the pass.

Jay Jennings
What if you just went with J jennings its sounds the same but spell it differntly and see if you can get the domain for it too.

just a thought.

what style magic do you perform that would help us readers be able to steer you in a better direction. with out knowing your character or personality its hard to just whip up a stage name.

I kept my name sam sandler but created the title the Hilarious magic of sam sandler. its on everything I own in the magic world. you coudl do some thign similar.
You got a great stage name!! since you want to keep it seperate try Mohawk Magic!
[quote]what style magic do you perform that would help us readers be able to steer you in a better direction. with out knowing your character or personality its hard to just whip up a stage name.[/quote]

I tend to "go for the laugh" in most of the things I do, but I don't consider myself a "comedy magician." And while I'm just getting back into performing I'm planning on being a "work in progress" for the next two years while I transition from what I am now...

What do I want to do? Mentalism. The only problem is that I think it's really easy to do boring mentalism so I'm hesitant to jump into it -- I really don't want to screw it up. Meaning, I don't want to be boring. =:)

Names on my short list:

Alex Morgan (First name has always been a fave, just sounds good)
Jay Ivan (My real first and middle name)
Frank Chandler (Chandu the Magician's real name)

Or, I could go with popular opinion and just keep my real name and not worry about mixing business and personal. *sigh*

I don't have a looking deadline or anything, so I'll just keep thinking about this for a bit.

Thanks.

Jay Jennings

PS - None of those names above have available .com domain names. Gak.

PPS - The mohawk comes and goes, it's not anywhere around right now, and while I do have MohawkMan.com sitting here I'm not sure Mohawk Man Mentalism would work. Yes? No? =:)