(Close Window)
Topic: Packet Tricks That Use Cards From a Normal Deck
This is a topic that I thought I had seen in this forum before but I can't find it now. What I'm looking for is a list of packet tricks that can be performed with cards from a normal ungaffed deck. This is different from the "examinable packet tricks" thread because many of those still require special cards (blank facers, etc.)

In this case I'm just looking for what you think are the most impactful effects. In other words, if you were going to entertain someone with a couple of packet tricks from a standard deck, what would you perform? No exhaustive lists necessary (and no ace assemblies ;) )

Why don't I start this off? My favorites to perform are:

[list]
[*] Oil and Water (Derek Dingle)
[*] Jumping Gemini (Darwin Ortiz)
[*] Three card monte (with Joker, AS and QH as the kicker)
[/list]
8 card brainwave by Nick Trotz
"Overture", "Cry Wolf", "Counter Revolution", "Spiralvator", "Masque"...all found in "Focus" by Phil Goldstein.

Cardamagically,
Dom :) ;)
Paul Harris' Reset.
Larry Jennings' "Impromptu Wild Card" and/or his "Well-oiled Reset".
Sanverted - John Carney
Dom, I've never read Focus but I need to pick it up as I've heard nothing but good things about it. Chris, is there a particular handling of Reset that you favor? I know that there have been numerous reworkings of this effect and at this point I don't know enough to be able to separate the wheat from the chaff. Alibaba, I'll check out the Jennings' material.
I thought there had been a thread like this before also. But anyway,how about "Too Many Cards" by Derek Dingle from "The Complete Works of Derek Dingle" that is a personal favorite.

"Slow Motion Jazz Combo" from "Still Small, Still Deadly" is another.

Aldo has a couple of DVD's devoted to such effects.

Paul.
[quote]
On 2010-07-08 14:51, Steven Keyl wrote:
Chris, is there a particular handling of Reset that you favor? I know that there have been numerous reworkings of this effect and at this point I don't know enough to be able to separate the wheat from the chaff. Alibaba, I'll check out the Jennings' material.
[/quote]

Steven,

Check out Caleb Wiles' version of Re-set called Reswindled. [url=http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/card-magic/high-spots/]Paul Harris says, “Caleb Wiles’ Reswindled is my new favorite version of Re-Set.”[/url]
Look an Illusion - Larry Jennings. Open Travellers - Larry Jennings.
We'll Twist If you Insist-Derek Dingle
To Many Cards-Derek Dingle
Rock and Roll Aces (Peter Marshall) Harry Lorayne's Best Ever Series

Best
Leo Jr
Even I don't have them, but Aldo Colombini has some DVD's about packet tricks I guess, and most of them are also ungimmicked.
Merely Thought of Card Miracle
Mini Oil & Water
Psychic Twins
Twisting the Aces
I am surprised it was as many posts before Twisting the Aces appeared :)

Here are 2 more of my favorites: Dr. Daley's Last Trick & Vernon's Variant
There are so many, but as I read this one interesting one came to mind - you'll have to locate it somewhere in APOCALYPSE, by a Japanese contributor, called, I believe, Not By Sight. I've taken in every magician with it, laymen go without saying. HL.
Torn
Asher Twist
An altered version of Duplicity
Hi, Harry -

According to the Magic Reference pages, the effect is in Apocalypse, Vol 10, No. 3 (March, 1987) - "Not By Sight," by Tetsuyoshi Hoshino.

Hope this helps. Tx -

Mark
That's the one, Mark. Thanks. H.
You may want to take a look at my effect "Final Countdown" available at lybrary.com
These are some excellent effects here. Thanks all. 723sabre, can you cite references for the effects you mention? I have not heard of these before. Paul, I've been meaning to pick up SSSD for a while now, I will have to bump that up on my list of things to get. Harry, the effect you cite is excellent. I have used the basic method for a long time but this handling not only helps to control the spectator but also shades the method more deeply. KD, I will take a trip over to library.com and check out Final Countdown.
Steven,

Don't forget Jennings' Ambitious Classic :)

Ahimsa,
Vlad
[quote]
On 2010-07-10 18:45, Steven Keyl wrote:
These are some excellent effects here. Thanks all. 723sabre, can you cite references for the effects you mention? I have not heard of these before. [/quote]

You bet!
Merely Thought of Card Miracle - wildcolombini DVD "Self Working Packet Tricks"
Mini Oil & Water - wildcolombini DVD "Card Capers"
Psychic Twins - Max Maven, I got it out of "Collected Almanac", page 314.
I second failed magicians well twist by derick dingle I perform this on a regular basis,
another teriffc effect is called Reflipped by Yannic Chretien
the is one of the all time gems in my opinion
the godfather
Three Card Monte
Definitely Reswindled with that Color Blind opener... that's such a powerhouse routine with a strong finish.

However I really like that in the hands 3 card monte that David Stone does alot! I didn't like the ending however so I turned it into a transposition kinda thing which made it also pretty powerhouse
Card Warp
Color Monte
Check out Monte Monte Plus - in Apocalypse.
Twister by Chris Kenner. Which is a combination of Twisting the Aces and Reset. And Doc Daley's last trick. EASILY my 2 favorite packet tricks with all regular cards.
Another one by the same name is Twister by Paul Gordon 4 kings turn face down one by one then change into aces.

Best
Leo Jr
Hey Leo,
That's VERY similar to Kenner's twister. He uses Aces that turn face up one at a time then change to Jacks. I say it's a combo of TTA and Reset because of the feel at the end that they change to Jacks one at a time, then they change back to Aces all at once, just like Reset.
Bro John Hammon's: Twins

J.C. Wagner's: Underground Tranposition

Cannibal Cards
Jazz Aces and Mexican Poker, both by Darwin Ortiz.
Pepka: Had to check out Kenner's Twister on You Tube its changes the aces one at a time Where Gordon's changes them all at once.
Looks good think I'll have to buy Out Of Control to learn it.

Thanks
Leo Jr
Some great stuff here. Thanks again to all who have taken the time to answer. I'll add another one that I've been playing around with for a couple of weeks now. John Bannon's Fractal Jacks from his booklet Mega 'Wave.

The construction of this effect is brilliant as the spectator thinks they know what is happening and by the end, WHAM!, they realize that they had no idea what was happening.
[quote]
On 2010-07-23 09:59, Steven Keyl wrote:
Some great stuff here. Thanks again to all who have taken the time to answer. I'll add another one that I've been playing around with for a couple of weeks now. John Bannon's Fractal Jacks from his booklet Mega 'Wave.

The construction of this effect is brilliant as the spectator thinks they know what is happening and by the end, WHAM!, they realize that they had no idea what was happening.
[/quote]

Steven, I am blown away by Bannon's booklet Mega Wave. You are further along than I. I am still having a blast with the first effect :)

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Vlad, I couldn't agree more. The Mega 'Wave effect itself is brilliant. I've always liked Stephen Tucker's Alpha to Omega and this effect reworks it wonderfully to eliminate the only part of the effect that I didn't love.

I would definitely have included it here but it requires special cards (or at least cards from 2 different decks). But every effect in there (save for one) is something that I could see myself using.

One reason I'm such a Bannon fan is that he always combines raw sleights with additional principles that make backtracking his effects extremely difficult.
Here is another one from Focus. This is my favorite effect in that book. It is called Ascension. Four kings and four indifferent red cards are shown. One of hte red cards is discarded and a king is placed into the red card packet. The packet is shown to still consist of only four red indifferent cards. One is discarded, and a 2nd king is added to the red card packet. This is repeated with all four kings. They are never seen in the red card packet. You end up with four discarded cards on the table. Everyone and their brother knows the kings are there until you turn them over and they are the aces. KILLER!

John
There's been several already mentioned that I really like to do, here's a few that weren't:

- "Relative Interchange", it's in Focus and on one of Rafael Benatars DVDs.
- Dingle's "We'll-If you Insist"
- "Logical Conclusion" from The Cardwright (Larry Jennings)
- "A Switch in Time" from the Complete Walton book
- Randy Wakeman's "Smorgasbord Cannibals"
- Italian Dressing by Aldo Colombini
"Gemini twins" - You'll need to know the Elmsley count though
"Gemini twins" - You'll need to know the Elmsley count though
Message: Posted by: Distracted-Artist (Aug 18, 2010 07:02AM)
I love 'Travelling Man' by Roy Walton. It can be found in 'the Complete Walton Vol 2'. A brilliant effect!

Jon
My favorite packet trick is from:
The Art of Close-Up Magic by Lewis Ganson vol. 1 book. It's a Oil and Water Routine.
Here's a vid of the routine.
Enjoy
Tim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9KuED5ruLU
[quote]
On 2010-08-26 21:47, feher wrote:
The Art of Close-Up Magic by Lewis Ganson vol. 1 book. It's a Oil and Water Routine.
Enjoy
Tim

[/quote]

Just saw the video. It's a very nice routine Tim!
You can do the exact routine of Color Monte, using a joker, a red queen, and the Ace of Spades as the kicker finale.
Tim, Very nice indeed. Now to get my A of C-U M back from the guy I loaned it to. John
Guys, Check out the Goldstein/Maven effect Very Good Hand in Card Cavalcade IV. It's a quick, easy, three-stage ambitious card effect, with an eye-popping finish in which all the cards change. John
Sohaib and ejohn,
Thanks, glad you liked it. The original used red and blue backs so it was a packet trick you brought around with you. I have never been a big fan of pulling out packet routines, so I do it from a deck instead. Hope you know what I mean.
Again thanks for taking the time to view and comment.
Tim
I'm particularly a fan of Guy Hollingworth's oil and water, and twisting the aces, I like the visuals. I also enjoy "Wicked!" (the last effect in Bannon's Mega Wave). I've changed the patter to suite my style, but it is a great little effect.
Like to add another one from Aldo Colombini called The Aces are Gone Effect 4 black cards 4 red cards and 4 aces are mixed when counted again the 4 aces have vanished you then mix the red and black and the red cards vanish leaving the 4 aces video on You Tube can be found in Aldo's book or e-book Direct Hits.
kind of like Oil and Queens.

Best
Leo Jr
What patter line do you use when you do Color Monty with the queen joker & the ace?
Thanks George
George,

I've been using Joker(s), QH and AS for quite a while now. My patter is generally relaying a story that happened to me when I got swindled by a street performer.

(As an aside, when retelling a story this way it dispenses with the performer saying "so where do you think it is now?" kind of patter. Instead, you can say "He asked me where it was and I said 'The bottom card', but I was wrong!" In othe words it removes the idea of the spectator getting duped because the story is about how the performer himself was duped).

In any event, the basic script is about how in life you usually end up on the short end of the stick (Jokers), but every once in a while you find success (AS). Then when you finally reveal the QH at the end, talk about how the rarest thing of all is true love.

It's not as corny as it reads. At least I certainly hope not. ;)
I've been on a bit of a Larry Jennings kick lately as I'm re-reading the Classic Magic of Larry Jennings. Right now I'm liking the Maestro's poker demonstration, royal twist, uniflection, ambitious classic and open travelers.
I don't know the name of the effect, or who it's by, but there is an effect that uses the four aces, and you show the spectator that you can place the ace of spades and ace of clubs on the table, and make them switch places with the other aces in your hand
Sounds like either Doc Daley's Last Trick or Eddie Fecters(sp) Be Honest What is It.
I think that it was Daley's Last Trick, thanks!
I recently put this on a similar thread....
[quote]
On 2010-09-19 17:29, andini1 wrote:
Taken from an ordinary (could be borrowed) deck.
1. Masquerade (Walt Maddison)from his Spaka-Trix book.
2. Jackrobatics (David Britlands)
3. 3 Card Monte (??)
[/quote]
Message: Posted by: Alysson Nishiyama (Sep 23, 2010 10:33PM)
Heres the packet tricks that use cards from a normal deck that I'm really loving doing:

Reswindled - Caleb Wiles
Invisible Palm - Wayne Houchin version
Alysson,

I'm glad you like Reswindled. For those who want to see the routine in action, there's a video at http://calebwiles.blogspot.com/2010/08/performing-reswindled-paul-harris.html. You can also see Lu Chen's performance of it on Taiwanese TV at http://calebwiles.blogspot.com/2009/07/reswindled-on-taiwanese-tv.html

As far as other packet tricks from a normal deck, I would have to say that Darwin Ortiz's Jumping Gemini, John G's Double Monte, and Steve Beam's Back to Aces are a few of my favorites.

Caleb
http://www.CalebWiles.blogspot.com
The first performance link doesn't seem to work.
Sorry, it looks like there was an extra period at the end of the URL. Here's the correct link:

http://calebwiles.blogspot.com/2010/08/performing-reswindled-paul-harris.html

Caleb
http://www.CalebWiles.com
Focus by Phil Goldstein is almost all packet tricks and they are excellent (some use just a packet while others use a packet and the deck).

You asked for non gaffed packet tricks, but does that include using cards with different colored backs? Check out Transfourmation in Focus. It's a four of a kind transformation with a color changing kicker ending. Very cool...
Blu tiger,

I forgot about focus. You guys should definitely check out "Masque" by Phil Goldstein. It's a great packet trick using ungaffed cards.

Caleb
http://www.CalebWiles.com
[quote]
On 2010-09-23 08:56, andini1 wrote:
I recently put this on a similar thread....
Taken from an ordinary (could be borrowed) deck.
1. Masquerade (Walt Maddison)from his Spaka-Trix book.
2. Jackrobatics (David Britlands)
3. 3 Card Monte (??)
[/quote]
I forgot to mention the absolutely brilliant "HOMING CARD" ala Kaps.
Are there DVD's dedicated to tricks with cards from ordinary decks and not the full deck. I am looking for a DVD of only packet routines with ordinary cards.
I check out MAsque and was impressed. In which publication would I find it and also is Focus a title of a book.
If you'd like a packet trick with a story (besides Color Monte), David Regal came up with Royal Jazz Quartet, which, I believe, he released for free.

Here, courtesy of Searchthemagiccafe.com is the link:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=10000&forum=67
>Are there DVD's dedicated to tricks with cards from ordinary decks and not the
>full deck. I am looking for a DVD of only packet routines with ordinary cards

Check out the site of Aldo Colombini. He has some and for a stunning price !
I have a new DVD out called Slim, which is a collection of packet tricks using cards taken from a regular deck. It's available through all dealers

Any questions let me know.

Here's a link to the trailer -

http://www.worldmagicstore.com/slim-craig-petty-p-6284.html?osCsid=g5cil41g13527fnnblvq38nff5
Lepzig would have loved this - MArlo
21st Century 21 card trick - Ammar (Vol9)
In the near future, I will be giving away ( for a $5 donation to the Café) an effect done with normal cards.
It is based upon John Bannon's TWISTED SISTER;however, the entire face of the card is exposed and the suits are not the same color.
No EC's needed thanks to Cameron Francis handling
Best,
Jeff
Late to the party on this one, but as to another handling of Reset, Nick Trosts has been my favorite for sometime.

A 'thread' of similar moves with the bang of reveal of the original reset yet much easier from the handling/technique p.o.v.

Let's one focus more on presentation and story rather than the moves themselves.
Thanks for the submissions everybody. Here is an updated list of all packet tricks listed thus far:
[list]
[*] Oil and Water (Derek Dingle)
[*] Jumping Gemini (Darwin Ortiz)
[*] Three card monte
[*] 8 Card Brainwave (Nick Trost)
[*] Masque by Max Maven contains - Overture, Cry Wolf, Counter Revolution, Spiralvator, Masque, Ascension, Relative Interchange
[*] Larry Jennings' Ambitious Classic, Impromptu Wild Card, Well-oiled Reset, Look an Illusion, Open Travellers, Logical Conclusion
[*] Sanverted (John Carney)
[*] Too Many Cards, We'll Twist If you Insist (Derek Dingle)
[*] Slow Motion Jazz Combo (Paul Hallas)
[*] Reset (Paul Harris) and variations including "Reswindled" (Caleb Wiles)
[*] Rock and Roll Aces (Peter Marshall)
[*] Merely Thought of Card Miracle, Italian Dressing, Mini Oil & Water (Aldo Colombini)
[*] Psychic Twins, Very Good Hand (Max Maven)
[*] Twisting the Aces (Dai Vernon)
[*] Dr. Daley's Last Trick
[*] Not By Sight (Apocalypse)
[*] Torn (Daniel Garcia)
[*] Asher Twist (Lee... can't remember his last name)
[*] Reflipped by Yannic Chretien
[*] Card Warp, A Switch in Time, Travelling Man (Roy Walton)
[*] Twister (Chris Kenner)
[*] Twister (Paul Gordon)
[*] Twins (Bro. John Hamman)
[*] Underground Tranposition (J.C. Wagner)
[*] Cannibal Cards
[*] Jazz Aces, Mexican Poker (Darwin Ortiz)
[*] Fractal Jacks (John Bannon)
[*] Smorgasbord Cannibals (Randy Wakeman)
[*] Jackrobatics (David Britlands)
[*] Invisible Palm (Wayne Houchin)
[*] HOMING CARD (Fred Kaps)
[*] Royal Jazz Quartet (David Regal)
[*] Slim (book of packet tricks from a normal deck by Craig Petty)
[*] Lepzig would have loved this (Marlo)
[*] 21st Century 21 card trick (Michael Ammar)
[/list]
Tailspin by John Guastaferro
Using a four-of-a-kind of the spectator's choosing, you cause each of the cards to turn face-down, then transform...twice!

Two thumbs up!!! I just love it.
I'm a little late on this too but have to agree with Vinny here much earlier on as I absolutely love Yannic Chretien's, "Reflipped" WOW! :) It's one of my favorites now and causing me not to do the gaffed packet stuff more & more. :)

Refipped is just a wonderful little effect and I'm very glad I came across it. Not big on Yannick's handling of it but Josh Jay's take on it makes it a bit more straight-forward and just as visually amazing. Wonderful effect with just 8 cards from a normal deck. :)

It makes a decent-enough coin guy look like a pretty good card man too. Love it! :D
Not sure of the real name (as I'm sure there is a good name for it, and a poor magician that was robbed of the credit) but I always get a great reaction with "The Million Dollar Card trick" and "Waveing the Aces" Hollingsworth.
[quote]
On 2010-08-26 21:47, feher wrote:
Enjoy
Tim

[/quote]

I know I'm late to the party here, but that was a great little routine!

(but [i]dang[/i] is my wallet ever going to suffer from all these "gotta buy it" books.) :-)
Sorry for being late to this.
but my absolute favorite from "the card magic of Nick Trost"
"Double Pinochile with an Elevator Finish" the tittle does not
do justice to how great a reaction you get from this packet trick
from a regular deck.

Rad
Two of my favorites that I perform all the time:

Ambitious Rendezvous from [url=http://www.barnowskymagic.com]The Book of Destiny[/url]
Urokinase from Kingdom of the Red

Larry :readingbook:
I like doing "The Devil's Elevator" followed by "Oil and Water" to explain (wink, wink) why the cards keep traveling upward. The only move they share is the Elmsley Count so I feel pretty confident that I won't get busted so long as my Elmsley Count is kept smooth.

All I have to do is secretly add a fifth black card to the bottom of the packet after they examine the cards from the first effect (pretty easy to do in a wide variety of ways). I just tell them I'm cheating and go into Oil and Water showing that I can't keep them together even if I try. And since I already let them hold all the cards I'm using (at least that's what they think) they are usually content to let it end without a second examination. If they do want to examine after I finish Oil and Water, I usually just cop the card back out.
Definitely my favorites are 3 card monte, Jumpin Gemini, and oil and water
Dr. Daley's Last Trick is still the best by far :)
I suppose most any 4 Ace tricks would work.
Hi Steve,

I imagine you're already familiar with Paul Wilson's variation on Color Monte, called Gypsy Monte. It's pretty stunning. Best done with tarot cards, but can be done with regular ones.

See you,

Bob
Mr. Nick Trost's "Fourteen-Card Oil and Water."
Very clean.

(Can be found in Chapter 30, item #5, his: 'Subtle Card Creations' Vol. 3 & Aldo's 'Oil & Water l' @ Lybrary (WMV + MP4) download.)
Bob, Gypsy Monte was reviewed rather harshly when it came out. I don't own it, so can't really comment one way or the other.

Sixten, I think most versions of O&W would fit the description quite nicely. Of course, Trost's version, as with just about everything he released, is well thought out.
:)
Seeing this is an old post revived I have to add that the OP was looking for tricks with cards from an "ordinary" deck. 🙂. $.02
There are so many to chose from. I like much of what Paul Gordon has along with John Bannon (yes they have packet tricks that don't use gimmicks). My favorites are Dr Daley's Last, various Oil & Water Routines from the late great ALDO COLOMBINI & his NICK TROST DVD series on cards has many also.
I recently learned Masque (fantastic!) and I am always performing Color Monte with Joker, Ace of Spades and a Queen of Hearts as a kicker. The Queen helps with my pattern, e.g. as a final line I say: "These gamblers sometimes use a beautiful woman to distract the player!"

A little extra touch for the Color Monte: at the beginning I use the DD Double Lift (from The Complete Works of Derek Dingle) to show 2 Jokers; since the Joker has a one-way design, and the DD-DL turns the card over, the 2 (?) Jokers appear pointing in opposite directions (not sure I explained properly... hopefully you understand what I mean). The display of the second Joker pointing in the opposite direction reinforces enormously the illusion of two separate cards.

Thanks a lot to Steven for opening the thread and putting together this list of masterpieces: really useful!
Can't believe this thread was started over 8 years ago!!

Funny thing is I was looking over my initial post from 8 years ago and was shocked to find how little my initial idea has changed.

My favorites are still Jumping Gemini and Oil and Water (however I switched to Tamariz' version of O&W some years back). The only other "packet trick from a normal deck" that I perform regularly is something of my own creation, and is yet untitled. For the most part, however, I ended up sticking to my initial favorites.
Gabi Pareras:
- Incauto Bribon (homage to Pepe Carroll)
- Elevator
- Oil & water (with surprise ending) (4 red and 4 black, at the end they are all red).

Dani DaOrtiz has a simpler version for the oil and water with only 3 reds and 3 blacks.

And of course, Twisting the aces! already mentioned
One of my favourites is Oil & Queens, by Roy Walton, which I always follow with Modern Jazz Aces

Mark
Marc (and others),

You wrote:

"Gabi Pareras:
- Incauto Bribon (homage to Pepe Carroll)
- Elevator
- Oil & water (with surprise ending) (4 red and 4 black, at the end they are all red).

Dani DaOrtiz has a simpler version for the oil and water with only 3 reds and 3 blacks. "

Do you have references for any of the tricks you mentioned? I watched the Oil & Water and loved it. Wonderful how nearly everything happened in the spectators' hands.

Several websites mentioned having video downloads explaining the trick, but they were all either defunct or sounded like they might be a bit shady. I'm assuming, since you posted on this thread, that the cards are ungaffed.

I also wondered if you could give me a reference for the simpler version by DaOrtiz. And, how simple is "simpler"? Could you give me an idea, without exposing too much, of what sleights are used in Parera and DaOrtiz's versions?

Regards,

Bob
Hi Bob, yes, all regular cards.

Gabi's Incauto Bribon and Elevator are in his lecture notes, I don't know where those can be found.
The oil and water is in his Grupo Kaps Live DVD

The first one uses a couple of medium difficulty sleights but well in range from most card workers.
The Elevator's main move is an Elmsley

Dani's oil and water is in his SemiAutomatic tricks series (or the compiled book), so that tells you that it does not use any complicated sleight, I think the main sleight is like an Orlam count.

Both oil and waters have the surprise finish where instead of separating blacks and reds, in the third phase all cards are red.
Thanks, Marc, very helpful. Yes -- I'd forgotten, that was the other reason I was attracted to these O&W's: all the cards are red at the end. Okay, I'm off to do my research! :)