(Close Window)
Topic: Do you get dressed at the last minute?
With me it is 5 minutes until I walk out the door before I put my pants, shirt, tie, and shoes on. I have two friends that cary their shirts on hangers, and put them on in the car. One outher friend I saw putting his shirt on back stage. I remember on Jerry Seinfeld show they did an episode about not putting your pants on until the last minute. Of course before I do anything to myself my car is packed, and ready to go.
I get dressed about 3-5 minutes before I take the stage. Also I never sit in my pants once they're on - ala Seinfeld.
With a smaller show, Birthday's and such, I get dressed just before it's time to leave the house.
For a stage show I like to be dressed and ready to go about 15 minutes before showtime.
Bob.
For most of my shows I don't wear pants.
Payne
That is too much information.
I can't dress up that late. I dress up before I see the client.
MT
What I meant in my original post was about puting my pants on before I walk out of my door. I never suggested that I wanted to show up at the party in my underwear.
Never say never Al, you might find you get more bookings this way!
Always a tough call. I try to dress as late as praticality allows.
I have a routine I do my best to stick to when getting ready.

I like to listen to classical music while I get ready as it puts me in a good mood. Years ago I got sick of having to change in a restaurant or hotel manager's office or worse, a public bathroom.

I dress at home and because I wear high end clothing (Oxxford) it does not wrinkle.
My wife either leaves the house or stays out of my way because I get a little crazy when I getting ready to to do a show. And yes I get dressed the last thing.
George
I'm having a hard time imagining you pacing the floor in your underwear before a show. Is that your wife's head in your hands?
Like Al, I wait until the very last minute before putting my performance clothes on before leaving the house for a gig like a birthday party or restaurant event.

If it is a stage show, I use the dressing room because that is what they are for :). I try to avoid public restrooms to change in like the plague.

Al, good to see you again. I thought of you when I was in Charleston SC last week and walked into a hat shop to look at the Panama hats.
Darkwing
I spent a lot of my misguided youth in Charleston SC. I'm sure that all my old haunts have long since closed, and I remember chasing young girls around on the south battery late at night. I remember seeing Jackie Wilson perform at the high school auditorium there in 1966, when I was nearly the only white man in the auditorium. Ah yes the Merchant Seamans Club, and the Cadillac club were two very naughty all night clubs.
No kidding, I thought I saw some of the locals that kind of looked like "little Als" around the Battery Park area. Al you are a stud.

You got to see Jackie Wilson. Man that is great.

This is our second year to go to Charleston and we love it. The only downer is the weather is so stinking hot.
I always was amazed that Charelston was such a hip city surrounded by such unhip towns. There was Charelston, Savana, Columbia, and not much else.
Yes Al that is my wife's head in my hands.

You can see a larger picture on my web site.
Trousers that do not wrinkel are a very good solution.
You can find them in a lot of different styles and you can at least prepare yourself a little bit earlier and sit relax before you go on stage.

Rgds
Serge
I always Dress at the Venue. If it is a Small Show such as a Family Reunion or
B-Day Party I stop just a little down the road before I get there and put my Shirt on. That is where my GPS comes in handy. I know when I have .05 Miles to go and that is usually when I stop. I also refresh my Deodarant at that time.

RJ
I timed myself tonight:
Shave 1 hour early
black sweat socks 1 hour early
wrinkle proof pants 30 minutes early
shirt, and tie 15 minutes early
car was packed last night
all other important info in my top hat on the kitchen table.
kiss my wife, she usually tells me to break a leg, I return in about two hours with a pay check, and I will take her to dinner.
Now that's a system!
Gotta wonder what Garcia and the Street Magic crowd do...
Daniel Garcia always wears shabby clothes, with a knit cap, it's his imaga. It's us guys that always try to look clean that have problems.
[quote]
On 2010-08-29 10:34, Al Angello wrote:
Daniel Garcia always wears shabby clothes, with a knit cap, it's his imaga. It's us guys that always try to look clean that have problems.
[/quote]

Not necessarily Al :)

When performing for a gig, whether it be a corporate event or not, I always tend to do the same procedure:

1) I get a manicure the day before with a half buff so that my nails are not EXTREMELY shiny but still gleam.
2) I have an Armani suit that I get dry-cleaned the day before with light starch.
3) I shower, shave, and dress right before I walk out the door with my Jacket on a hanger.
4) I get a drive through car wash and wax on my way to the gig.

It's all kind of become a habit :)

D. Garcia
I guess I've only seen Daniel Garcia the lecturer.

Daniel
Do you wear your knit hat for gigs?
How cool, Danny! Hope some of the younger crowd read this...
Hi Al.
I tried to get dress as late as possible.
I usually carry a extra set of clothing on hot days. My favourate changing places are Gas station wash rooms and coffee shops.
During the winter months, I carry only a extra shirt.
I try to look as neat and fresh at every performance, you don't want to go in front of the children smelly and sweaty.
Tricky Ricky
Ricky (Richard)
You are always one step ahead of me I bring shirt, tie, and matching suspenders, but I have never put a second pair of pants in my car.

I really do like that black shirt, and brightly colored tie look of yours.
For me, getting into my performance clothes is like a starting point for a show. I always dress at the venue, but before the audience is arriving. So my first impression is not a private. Traveling with performance clothes on, makes me feel uncomfortable. Very often I have to carry some stuff on stage. That's where casual clothes are very usefull.