(Close Window)
Topic: Best self working card prediction effect
Can anyone suggest some good self working card prediction effects?

The only good one I know is Overkill by Paul Harris.
<BEGIN RANT>
The Best self working card prediction effect, eh? I have no idea! How could I? First, I'd have to have knowledge of every one of them, and I'd have to have an objective way to determine which one is best. What a ridiculous question!
<END RANT>

Whew! With that said, here's one that's worthy of your consideration: Your Fateful Hour by Carlhorst Meier, described in Robert Giobbi's [i]Card College Lighter.[/i] It's a nice variation on the classic Clock Trick. It has a sound theatrical structure, it will fool and entertain people, and it's dead easy to do.
Magic For Dummies has a good one. The spectator shuffles the deck and Magician places an envelope on top of the deck with a prediction inside of it. Doesn't get easier.

BTW, I didn't find your question ridiculous at all. jmo
Amen Barry.

Phil, here are a few [b]killers[/b] for you:

Prior Commitment by Simon Aronson in his book Try the Impossible.

Detour de Force by John Bannon in his book Smoke and Mirrors

The Annihilation Deck by Cameron Francis

Just a word: Barry's reaction is warranted. You had titled your thread with the word "best". Not only would anyone have to know every possible prediction effect extant, which is an impossibility, more importantly, the term "best" is highly subjective. "Best" is defined by what works for [b]you[/b]. The adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" is so [b]very[/b] true. I think Harris' Overkill [b]is[/b] an excellent effect. If it does not work for you, then of course it is a good thing to find different effects/methodologies to the plot. There really never IS a "best" and that's a good thing.

Subjectively speaking, The Beatles are the best rock band ever, Willie Mays was the best baseball player, and Kurzweil Music Systems makes the best workstation synthesizers. You see how ANY of these could be refuted easily? To ME they are the "best" but another would counter with Led Zeppelin, Honus Wagner, and Korg.

To your credit in your [b]post[/b] you used the terms "suggest" and "good". While the term "good" is also subjective, it is not a superlative, so you will actually get more options and you avoid sidetracking your own thread.

Barry is a good guy [b]and[/b] one of [b]the[/b] most knowledgeable magicians I have ever had the pleasure of corresponding with. Take his "rant" as a positive sort of tough love. That rant is truly invaluable wisdom.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
OK agreed the title of the thread could be better. The word "best" is very subjective

I find Overkill a good effect but I was just looking for any other variations of the prediction plot be it single card or multiple card predictions that are either self working or easy on sleights

Will definitely look into Bannon's Detour De Force and Aronson's 3 point spread
Barry's friend: "Hey, where's the best place to eat around here?"

Barry: "The Best place to eat, eh? I have no idea! How could I? First, I'd have to have knowledge of every restaurant, and I'd have to have an objective way to determine which one is best. What a ridiculous question!

You must be a blast at parties.
Parody is wasted on the humor impaired...
[quote]
On 2010-07-17 13:55, magicphill wrote:
OK agreed the title of the thread could be better. The word "best" is very subjective

I find Overkill a good effect but I was just looking for any other variations of the prediction plot be it single card or multiple card predictions that are either self working or easy on sleights

Will definitely look into Bannon's Detour De Force and Aronson's 3 point spread
[/quote]
And Phil,
I mentioned Prior Commitment. It is [b]very[/b] strong.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Phil,

Vlad's recommendation is an excellent one. Simon Aronson has created effects that are very fooling and generally require few or no sleights, but conversely require a lot of thought before and during the routines.

Prior Commitment is an excellent usage of Aronson's UnDo Influence principle. Try the Impossible contains other effects that make use of this principle as well. A couple of these effects that I particularly like are Queenspell and Euph-Oracle. But any of Aronson's stuff is great.

Instead of just riding on Vlad's coat tails, I'll provide my own recommendation as well. There is an effect called the Spectator's Card Trick from The Card Magic of Nick Trost. After reading it you should also be able to devise a way to do it without touching the cards a la Daryl's Untouched. It's a great prediction effect that requires no sleights, you just need to be able to tell one card from another.
Phil,

I have an effect that I perform as a prediction effect. It is at http://www.imentalism.com/e-books/cards/tocsnd I get amazing reactions to it and it involves no sleight of hand and everything can be examined. Thanks

Greg
I like Daryl's Untouched (I think that's the name of it). Simple card prediction where you never touch the cards. I think it is taught on Ammar's ETMCM Vol. 4. I would say completely impromptu and you NEVER have to touch the cards and the spectator even shuffles them before-hand. Simple, but blows people's minds.
I love these 3:

Quadruple Prediction, Steve Beam

LIIkelihood, Stewart James

43, Paul Hallas
Let's not forget Stewart James classic "Miraskill" either.

So many additions have been developed to go along with this so there is loads of room for customization.

In fact, my friend Andrew Gerard fried me good back in January with an original touch on this classic.

I also second Aronson's "Prior Commitment". In fact, I really wish that one was all mine...LOL.

Cheers.
If you only know of Overkill, you have much reading ahead. I wish you luck on your journey. There are hundreds if not thousands of prediction card effects in the literature. The ones listed above are good suggestions. Many are self working, many are not. My favourites are by Randy Wakeman, Jack Carpenter, Allan Ackerman, and Larry Jennings. Harry Lorayne has published some killers in this area. Check out his, "The Indicator" from Deck-sterity, an old favourite routine of Simon Aronson.
Rodney
And if you want to check out a prediction routine that many, over the years, have told me that they consider it "the best" (I never use "best" unless I know 'em [b]all[/b]) check out my Amazing Prediction in Lorayne: The Classic Collection, Vol. 2. It may not be the "best," but it sure is a killer. HL.
I agree, Sir. It is a killer. I have it on your Best Ever Collection Volume 4. The last revelation is the kicker!
I learned it years ago from Rim Shots, and like Harry writes, its just impossible that you could have predicted so many things. Well presented, its deadly.
Rodney
This is Harry's performance of Amazing prediction.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk-PDqImyLI

It is self-working even though Harry throws in a few false cuts.
I watch that performance from time to time because it's such a good trick and so well done. His patter makes it look natural and non-mathematical, it never has a self-working feel to it.
Harry's Amazing Prediction is a really nice self working effect. And a real killer. Impromtu and yet so many outcomes. Lennart Greene Eye of the Stonehenge is also a nice impossible prediction effect.
There's nothng wrong with stating what one belives to be the best, yes, its subjective, but that's what most of life is. What a depressing world where one cannot give their opinion on what is best. We talk about the best tricks on this site all the time; people's favourites, which tricks are stronger, those that are most effective, most magical, most clean, etc etc. Anyway, that's just my subjective opinion.
Well, a lesson learned!!! I just watched the performance and WOW!!! Excellent effect Mr. Lorayne. The kicker is of course that I HAVE the routine in my library. YOu blew me away. You realize I HAVE to learn it ;)

All,

Another great effect that I have seen nobody perform is an excellent effect from Tom Dougherty called "Three Proofs". It is along the same vein as Mr. Lorayne's Amazing Prediction but the effect is different. Anyhow, it is in the "black" volume of Apocalypse.

There is also a marketed effect called White Bikes. It is very strong and only requires ONE move. I used to do it before Blizzard came out. So, for those of you afraid of Blizzard, ask your dealer if he has White Bikes. It was released by Paul Richards through Elmwood Magic. And really, the "move" in this beautiful effect is one virtually everybody knows, and it is NOT "bold" as the essential move in Blizzard.

Two more mentions because again, they seem to be neglected effects. Both are from David Regal.

"Luck of the Draw" and "Yes, You Can Change Your Mind". The first effect is truly off the beaten path and it surprises me that this is not done. The second effect is IMPOSSIBLY clean. The spectator CAN change her mind.

If I was the type of magician that liked the fool the cognoscenti at magic club meetings, I know I could fry these folks with all of the effects I have mentioned. But, I find the exercise of fooling magicians rather boring.

Thanks Mr. Lorayne for a great effect. I think like many of us, I really have NO idea of the treasures right there on my book shelf.

Ahimsa,
Vlad

PS: Rodney!! You did it AGAIN!! LOL Is it your mission to know my library better than *I* do you scoundrel??? ;) Why I passed this by in Rim Shots I will never know. You realize Rodney that I owe you TWO now :) I'll getcha :P
Sorry, Breather, can't agree. Okay to use "best" if you know them ALL. Otherwise, easy enough, and CORRECT, to say "This is the best for me" or "This is the best within my knowledge" or "This one works best for me, this one gets the best reaction, this is my favorite," and so on. Making a definite statement like -"This is the best" as if it's the "best" for everyone, and, without qualifying, is really not subjective, it's just wrong. My opinion. Anyway, this really has nothing to do with what's under discussion here. HL.
OOTW
[quote]
On 2010-07-27 17:34, tltq wrote:
OOTW
[/quote]

tltq,

Respectfully submitted, but if you are presenting OOTW as a prediction effect, you are asking for a LOT of difficulties. PM me if you would like to know my reasoning - not that I am an authority - but, presenting OOTW as a prediction weakens it - CONSIDERABLY - to the point of a puzzle.

Ahimsa,
Vlad

PS: I will give you a hint: PSYCHOLOGY
Anyone here remember Synchronicity III ?
[quote]
On 2010-07-27 20:22, Vlad_77 wrote:
[quote]
OOTW
[/quote]

tltq,

Respectfully submitted, but if you are presenting OOTW as a prediction effect, you are asking for a LOT of difficulties. PM me if you would like to know my reasoning - not that I am an authority - but, presenting OOTW as a prediction weakens it - CONSIDERABLY - to the point of a puzzle.

Ahimsa,
Vlad

[/quote]

Actually, I agree......I thought about it after I made the post
Vlad are the two David Regal tricks you mention self working or relatively simple on sleights ?

Have watched a video of Harry's Amazing Prediction on Youtube and will seek this one out as it looks very clean and has a killer climax

I've also seen a video of Yves Domergue's Ten for Ten which I'm desperately trying to find. I know it was in the September 2003 issue of Magic Magazine but can't find it anywhere
Just thought of another...Thom Peterson's "The Known" is a very nice prediction effect.
Some members will get mad at me for letting this slip, but don't overlook Lorayne's brilliant Tell My Fortune. Not exactly self working, but one of the strongest pieces of magic I've ever come across. I'll be quiet now.
Rod
Shhh! :)
[quote]
On 2010-07-31 00:35, magicfish wrote:
Some members will get mad at me for letting this slip, but don't overlook Lorayne's brilliant Tell My Fortune. Not exactly self working, but one of the strongest pieces of magic I've ever come across. I'll be quiet now.
Rod
[/quote]
Could this be found in apocalypse?
Couldn't find "Tell My Fortune" in any of the "Apocalypse(s)". I did locate it in one of Mr. Lorayne's books: "Close-up Card Magic", page #104.
Always go to my The Classic Collection volumes to find these long-ago written gems. HL.
[quote]
On 2010-08-01 18:08, Harry Lorayne wrote:
Always go to my The Classic Collection volumes to find these long-ago written gems. HL.
[/quote]

*Smiles* Except for your gems in Apocalypse and Best of Friends 3 volumes set.

I have been trying off and on for the past 3 years to have Steve Brooks have a section in the periodicals part of the Café devoted to OOP journals, but, to no avail as yet.

I really think the great journals such as Apocalypse, The Jinx, and, well, there are SO many, really deserve a section, and not buried. Many of these are STILL available in hard copy, and a growing number are available digitally. Some of the greatest magic you could ever perform waits in these pages.

Someday I will bribe Mr. Brooks with a Lamborghini. (I could NOW, but, I don't think a Matchbox (TM) car would cut it ;)

Okay, back on topic: these really should be posted in Gaffed and Funky, but, it also DOES fit here too. But, if it gets moved, that's cool.

Blizzard, White Bikes, and Synchronous are WICKEDLY strong prediction effects. The third one is perhaps the least well known, but oh MY is it POWERFUL.

As for another that technically IS all in the cards:The Annihilation Deck, by Cameron Francis.

I bet many here who have knocked about in Scarne on Card Tricks would know Vosburgh's "Future Deck". ;)

Ahimsa,
Vlad

PS: I hope I mentioned in an earlier post, Three Proofs by Tom Daugherty. This is VERY strong. You will find it in Apocalypse.
One of my favorites is a three phase prediction effect called Jeopardy by Paul Green. It's from his DVD "In the Trenches." Completely self working.

Here is a performance video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JKx_iFWoWU&feature=related
I am REALLY awful sometimes at keeping up with PMs. Somebody had PMd me asking about David Regal's excellent "Yes, You CAN Change Your Mind" published in Apocalypse. My PM box had runneth over and I THINK the PM got trashed :( So my SINCEREST apologies to that person. If you are reading this here is the answer to your question as I recall it:

There are absolutely no "sleights". There is a little maneuver that has to be done, but, if you can lift a packet of cards, you can do this very powerful prediction effect. The strength of Regal's effect is that the spectator truly CAN change her mind. In addition, what Regal does in this effect I believe has wider applications.

The other question was about Luck of the Draw (also from David Regal) but I cannot remember the question! Grrrrr!! So, if you are here, PM me and I WILL get back to you :)

Ahimsa,
Vlad

[quote]
On 2010-08-01 22:05, Bill Beach wrote:
One of my favorites is a three phase prediction effect called Jeopardy by Paul Green. It's from his DVD "In the Trenches." Completely self working.

Here is a performance video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JKx_iFWoWU&feature=related
[/quote]
Hi Bill,

I have heard a LOT about this effect. Paul Green is an AMAZING talent, so, thanks for the video clip!

You realize I am going to cry if I find this in Magic Menu lol

Ahimsa,
Vlad

PS: I noticed you are in Ohio. So am I. Is the magic shop you are standing in front of in the Buckeye state? My dealer is Buck Bressler at IllusionsMagic in Cleveland.
Hi Vlad,

The picture is of my "Pitch Joint" I set up from time to time at flea markets and smaller street fairs and festivals. I pitch Svengali decks and Squirmles (magic worms). It's a lot of fun and usually very profitable, but a lot of hard work,too.

I recently moved to Lakewood - haven't made to to Illusions yet but hope to soon.
@magicfish: Synchronicity III, yes I remember it, still perform it from time to time, too.

Why? Are you nominating it? LOL
Just making light.

Cheers.
Sure Warrens, I'll nominate it. Its quite clever and its a fooler. The trick popped into my head and I wondered if any of you knew it- thanks for responding. Cheers!
Rodney
Yeah - it definitely does rock! I can't remember seeing any other magicians doing it over the years, which is always nice (for me)! :)

Cheers!
Another vote for Prior Commitment
Peter Nardi has a great effect called Knock Em Dead that I usually carry with me to conventions. It's great for laymen and magicians. It is completely self-working and self-contained.

Caleb
Vlad where can I find Synchronous ?
John Bannon's Origami Prediction is one of my fav's. It has a kicker ending :)
I really wonder that no one mentioned Al Koran's ingenious Five Star Prediction.
100% selfworking and with conditions which are hard to top:

Spectator deals cards face up (!) on the table and stops wherever he wants. The card stopped at matches precisely the prediction card, which was the whole time in an otherwise empty envelope on the table...

Maybe not objectively the best prediction effect, but at least IMHO very high ranking...
[quote]
On 2010-08-24 15:55, cjmagicman wrote:
Peter Nardi has a great effect called Knock Em Dead that I usually carry with me to conventions. It's great for laymen and magicians. It is completely self-working and self-contained.

Caleb
[/quote]

With all respect I have "Knock 'em Dead" and I find that it depends way way too much on the old "Magician's Choice" ruse. I dug it out last week and performed it for a co-worker after being in the closet for years. It knocked no one dead - not even an eye twitch.

I happen to be a big fan of Jean Boucher & Patrick Reymond's PROTON DECK - Self working, very easy, the prediction can easily be changed for different spectators, and it is a fooler:
http://www.camirandmagic.com/rt_025.html
[quote]
On 2010-11-03 02:03, saysold1 wrote:
[quote]
On 2010-08-24 15:55, cjmagicman wrote:

Caleb
[/quote]

With all respect I have "Knock 'em Dead" and I find that it depends way way too much on the old "Magician's Choice" ruse. I dug it out last week and performed it for a co-worker after being in the closet for years. It knocked no one dead - not even an eye twitch.

I happen to be a big fan of Jean Boucher & Patrick Reymond's PROTON DECK - Self working, very easy, the prediction can easily be changed for different spectators, and it is a fooler:
http://www.camirandmagic.com/rt_025.html
[/quote]

What do you mean "Magician's Choice?" They deal the cards and stop when they want. Then you show that you predicted the card they stopped at. There's no equivoque in the routine if I'm remembering correctly.

Caleb
http://www.CalebWilesMagic.com
Magician's Choice - That is pretty much explained here, and this effect depends on it hook line and stinker...

In a typical example of the Magician's Choice, the magician will ask a spectator to make an apparently free choice among several items. No matter what choices the spectator makes, the magician ends up with the item which he wanted the spectator to choose.

In a simple example, the performer may deal two cards face down onto the table, requiring for the purposes of his trick that the card on the right be selected. He will ask the spectator to choose one of the cards. If the spectator chooses the card on the left, the performer will say something like "you keep this card, I'll take the remaining card." If the spectator chooses the card on the right, the performer might say "okay, let's use the card you chose." Thus, the choice of which card to use is really made by the magician, hence the term "Magician's Choice."

Suppose, for example, the performer requires that a spectator select a particular one of three objects (say, the middle card in a row of three). To ensure this result, while giving the appearance of choice, the performer first asks the spectator to select two cards. If the spectator selects the left and the right card, the magician may continue by saying "Okay, we'll remove your selections, leaving us with the middle card." If the spectator selects the middle card and another indifferent card, the magician may continue by saying "... and now give me one of the cards...." If the spectator hands over the middle card, the magician may conclude, "... which we'll use," and if the spectator hands over the indifferent card, the magician may conclude "... which we'll get rid of." In each case, the middle card is apparently selected. By keeping his instructions ambiguous until after a choice is made, the magician retains full control over the apparently free selection.

Posted: Nov 3, 2010 4:24pm Reply with quote Send a Private Message View Profile of saysold1 Edit/Delete This Post Report this post to forum moderator View Posters IP (Moderators/Admins Only)
[/quote]

What do you mean "Magician's Choice?" They deal the cards and stop when they want. Then you show that you predicted the card they stopped at. There's no equivoque in the routine if I'm remembering correctly.

Caleb
[/quote]
Yes there is equivoque...

Equivocation is a technique by which a magician appears to have intended a particular outcome, when in actuality the outcome is one of several alternative outcomes. Also called a "multiple-out"
To see a very good, self-working card prediction effect, go to Youtube and search Greg Rostami's "Predict". It's based on Paul Curry's "A Swindle of Sorts" from PAUL CURRY PRESENTS.
"Gemini Calling" in Card College Lightest is an excellent self-working prediction trick, and it is extremely easy to do with zero set up and a borrowed set of cards.
Try with "Destiny is back" by Tommaso Guglielmi this effect is a killer effect:
You will able to predict a card thought of by the spectator and this card will be at named number by the spectator without the performer touches ever the deck.

MP
Is "Destiny 2" (which I found on Lybrary.com) the same as "Destiny is Back"? If not, is one an improvement over the other?

http://www.lybrary.com/destiny-2-p-67303.html - Destiny 2
https://sites.google.com/site/m2mmagictrick/subtle-scam - Destiny is Back
The video demos are really tough to watch.

Posted: Nov 4, 2010 12:12pm
Looks cool as anything though - very clean!

Has anyone else played with this? This is a $32 download - 94 pages...

This video is easiest to watch
http://www.lybrary.com/destiny-2-p-67303.html

Posted: Nov 4, 2010 12:22pm
Here is a link to the extensive MC thread:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=369802&forum=159&start=0
Destiny is Back is a bonus effect of Subtle Scam.

Another amazing effect inside this pdf is Duplicity aside Subtle Scam.

MP
Cardoracle.
[quote]
[quote]
On 2010-11-03 16:24, saysold1 wrote:

Caleb
[/quote]

Yes there is equivoque...

Equivocation is a technique by which a magician appears to have intended a particular outcome, when in actuality the outcome is one of several alternative outcomes.Also called a "multiple-out"
[/quote]

I've always thought of equivoque as being different from multiple outs. Tomato, tomato... hmmm I guess that expression doesn't come across in writing :)

Either way, "Knock Em Dead" is a GREAT trick!

Caleb
Just found another good one "Post It Prediction" from Solomon's Mind very clean and easy to do
Can anyone tell me where I might find Al Korans 5 Star Prediction, please? Cheers

Martyn

ps PM if you like.
I read about it in Al Mann's manuscript:
http://www.zem.demon.co.uk/almann.htm

However, it's featured on the Osterlind Mental DVDs as well.
Hi Martyn,
The mentioned Al Mann manuscript is an excellent source as well as "Al Koran's Legacy". The first is a treatise about the Al Koran deck (including many different versions of the 5 Star prediction), the latter contains many of Al Koran's professional routines, both are well worth reading...
Friedrich
Another interesting (almost) selfworking prediction effect using a quite different principle than the "5 Star Prediction" or "Knock'em Dead" is Tommy Wonder's "Elisabeth IV" found on one of his DVDs (newer version than in his books...).
Quite ingenious but at the same time a little unpractical...
Some ideas for it:
-use for the top prediction card the standard 52-cards-on-one-card gag card
-using Woody's Mnemonica Siamesa (see "Cosas Mias", Woody Aragon)you can do the
trick using only one deck which you can use for many other effects, the downside
is, that the card can't be just named any longer, but has to be chosen, though
very freely, for instance spectator deals cards face up and stops where ever he
wants (no equivoce this time!)
-could also be done with Bob Kohler's black envelope...

Has anyone performed this little marvel?
Thanks, Nicolino and Friedrich. Are these sources still in print or is it a second-hand-only track down and purchase? The routine sounds really good and I need to investigate it further.

Will be away in OZ and NZ for the next 5 days but will look upon my return.

Best

Martyn
Just reading an old issue of Magic Magazine and Double Vision by Simon Aronson is also a nice little 2 card prediction effect virtually self working apart from some simple sleights
[quote]
[quote]
OOTW
[/quote]

tltq,

Ahimsa,
Vlad

[/quote]

I was going to suggest Ammar's OOTW from the Easy to Master series. You can predict two cards that don't match which you reveal at the end.

This variation has always stunned my audience. Interested though Vlad in why you think it weakens the effect. Do you not think getting them all right is too perfect?

Also I'd like to add Premonition by Eddie Joseph or one of it's variations that use the same principle. Futurezone by JB Magic is also incredibly strong.
[quote]
On 2010-11-26 02:49, UncleBunkle wrote:
[quote]
[quote]
OOTW
[/quote]

tltq,

Ahimsa,
Vlad

[/quote]

I was going to suggest Ammar's OOTW from the Easy to Master series. You can predict two cards that don't match which you reveal at the end.

This variation has always stunned my audience. Interested though Vlad in why you think it weakens the effect. Do you not think getting them all right is too perfect?

Also I'd like to add Premonition by Eddie Joseph or one of it's variations that use the same principle. Futurezone by JB Magic is also incredibly strong.
[/quote]

UncleBunkle,

I would be happy to offer my reasoning. I do Harry Lorayne's Impromptu Out of This Universe. In this approach, the spectator shuffles the cards; there truly is NO set up. Each phase is so unbelievably fair. The first phase where the magician pulls an as yet unknown card from the fan and has the spectator "feel" the color is enhanced by the second phase of the spectator pulling the cards herself.

I present this such that at ANY time the spectator can can change her mind - even AFTER the deals. I play this to the hilt. Since I present this as an "experiment" rather than a magic effect, I have found that the WTF factor is profound. I tell the spectators at the outset that this MAY fail, that it is really up to how in tune THEY are. Mr. Lorayne's version provides for so many opportunities for the spectator to seemingly control the outcome that the impossibility factor and tension increase dramatically with each card.

One of the BEST touches in Mr. Lorayne's routine is when you show the remainder of the deck in random order that is a result of the SPECTATOR shuffle. This occurs BEFORE the final reveal. (N.B. The whole deck is NOT dealt in this version) So, the spectator has a visual reminder that SHE shuffled the cards as you recap what has happened. The second phase locks in the "fact" that SHE handled the cards throughout. The final reveal then becomes as hard hitting as a Lou Gehrig line drive. (I know you are British Uncle, so, Lou Gehrig was actually considered a much more dangerous hitter in baseball than Babe Ruth. It was said that while Ruth's home runs were towering, majestic shots, Gehrig's were wickedly lethal straight on line drives that exploded off the bat.)

To have a prediction for THIS particular effect in which you have demonstrated that you knew before hand where the spectator would miss - what cards they guessed incorrectly - detracts from the impossibility factor because it is implied that somehow you ultimately had control of the cards and it is thus "reduced" to a (very) strong magic effect.

Mr. Lorayne has commented elsewhere on the Café concerning the problem with the prediction aspect and I believe his reasoning is sound. Hopefully he will see this thread and make comment. If he does not, I will PM and ask him if he would kindly take a moment to share his thoughts.

अहिंसा

Vlad

PS: The "Too Perfect Theory" has its merits of course. But, let's take the classic effect Do As I Do. This effect is still in my opinion one of the most powerful effects in card magic. One would think it could be easily reconstructed given the fairness of method, yet, never in 20 years of doing this classic have I ever gotten anything less than gasps at the denouement.

Posted: Nov 26, 2010 9:30am
Hi all,

Chiming in once more with a GREAT prediction effect that I have reviewed and will be released in early December. It is a new effect by Cameron Francis entitled "Backdraft". This is a wicked effect on its own, but, the extra ideas create insane possibilities for other applications.

My review is here....

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=390790&forum=159&21

Cameron's demo is here....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGkp5zY5d48

अहिंसा

Vlad
Thanks for your thoughts Vlad. Where can I find Harry's version?
Stewart James' "Miraskill" is probably one of the greatest self-working prediction type of effects out there.

Another I personally favor is "Prior Commitment" by Simon Aronson.
Peter Duffie's 'That's a Fact' is a great self worker in which the spectator does most of the work. The magician only has to remember one simple thing.
[quote]
On 2010-12-14 19:34, J.Warrens wrote:
Stewart James' "Miraskill" is probably one of the greatest self-working prediction type of effects out there.

Another I personally favor is "Prior Commitment" by Simon Aronson.
[/quote]

Agreed---and the price is right
Hey Russell, to answer your question, you can find Harry's Impromptu Out of This World in the book "The Classic Collection Volume 1" as well as a TON of other great effects. It's a bit pricey as magic books go, but it's worth it! At least, it was to me!!
Harry's IMPROMPTU OOTW is also in his booklet MY FAVORITE CARD TRICKS. Brilliant and powerful!
Just a simple comment. Learned years ago when discussing movie serials (if you are old enough to remember them)that there is never any such thing in any field as THE BEST. There can only be YOUR FAVORITE. That will eliminate a lot of controversy.
Some other good prediction effects I've found lately

Something Happened from Lennart Green's Masterfile DVD which is an impromptu handling of Paul Harris Overkill that can be done using a shuffled deck and the right card at the right number prediction from Danie Peris book the Peristance which relies on a new variation of the gilbreath principle and some other techniques combined to make what I think is a very clean effect. The cards are shuffled by the spectator they have a free choice as to what 3 cards they get and when these are totalled the card at that number in a deck which has been in full view is the one the magician has predicted. They even get to deal to the card themselves face up to show that there are no duplicate cards and can examine both decks at the end there's nothing to find.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIhjeExdkkw&feature=related
"Subjectively speaking, The Beatles are the best rock band ever, Willie Mays was the best baseball player, and Kurzweil Music Systems makes the best workstation synthesizers. You see how ANY of these could be refuted easily? To ME they are the "best" but another would counter with Led Zeppelin, Honus Wagner, and Korg. "

Consider this before persisting in the pedantic Everything is Subjective posts: No right-minded could regard the Starland Vocal Band, Buddy Biancalana, and my self-assembled synthesizer the best band, baseball player, and synthesizer. So while every single person obviously won't say the same person/thing is the best, asking the question narrows the list from the millions to just a handful of plausible "bests." That's a question worth asking. That different people have different preferences is neither an interesting insight nor a reason not to ask "what is the best..."
>that there is never any such thing in any field as THE BEST

Pfff, are we going to get that discussion again. In the eyes of the people who respond in this topic these effects are the best. We (almost) all know what the initiator of this topic meant. Is this a magicforum of some philosophy group ?
Where in print can be found Harry Lorayne Amazing Prediction ?
Rim Shots was where it was originally published I think. But I am sure he'll tell you very soon in which of his Classic Collection series you can find the reprint of that book.

To be honest, my opinion is that this is the weaker of the books written by Lorayne I've got. I do not own them all so there could be something worse that Rim Shots. Anyway, it's a small booklet and Amazing Prediction is (always IN MY OPINION) the best effect in it.

I admit having had some problems in the past with Mr. Lorayne, but undoubtedly he has published some of the best material you can perform with a pack of cards.

Now, here's the heresy: there is an effect called Insured Prediction in Card College vol. 5 page 1311 and which is credited to Racherbaumer and Lorayne. It's very similar to Amazing Prediction, but with a different presentation. For my style it is a better presentation and I have had huge success with laymen, but as Giobbi says it is not an effect can can be performed in any circumstance and with any audience. You need to choose the right moment and right conditions. If you have the opportunity, check it out.

mlippo
From a borrowed, shuffled deck in use:

Tarot Below Zero/ Spectral Chill.

The basic principle can be adapted and performed as a very strong prediction effect.

It is utterly self-working and impervious to reverse-engineering. A compelling story helps.
In Up the Ante, there is a final reveal that is such a shocker, I adapted the core presentation and now perform it as a prediction effect.

The spectator cuts, shuffles and deals the cards. You needn't touch the deck.

Which makes the final prediction...staggeringly impossible.
[quote]
On 2010-07-30 01:28, Blueroyalty wrote:
Just thought of another...Thom Peterson's "The Known" is a very nice prediction effect.
[/quote]

Love this trick. Love a good chunk of the tricks on that DVD in fact. Which is not something you can always say.
My lottery ACAAN that I previously sold as a limited release. Completely hands off ACAAN using normal deck
I've released a trick called "Prediction: Impossible". I know not everyone is going into the ebooks reviews section so it may be relevant to speak about it here.

You can find some reviews on the Café if you want to know more: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=464015&forum=159&20

Best,

RAPH
Daryl's Untouched
Haven't read this entire thread, but - my effect [b]Amazing Prediction[/b] was mentioned. You can see me perform it (not under the best conditions, but...) if you go to [i]www.youtube.com/harrylorayneonvideo[/i] (I think that's the Link). Just scroll down until you find it - it's among about 33 other videos of me doing some stuff. Or, go to my magic website - listed under this post, with the word "magic" in it - I believe it's right there on the first page, for you to click on. HL. (No, no, mlippo, I realize that you will stick to doing that other (stolen?) version, right?.

And your remarks re: Rim Shots are not only SO WRONG (IN MY OPINION) but also entirely uncalled for (IN MY OPINION). Putting down a book that contains my false riffle shuffles, that have been, and are, used my card guys ALL OVER THE WORLD, for decades, and Controlled Spelling (with which I - and Michael Vincent - have fooled other magicians ALL OVER THE WORLD, for decades, plus my Status Quo Shuffle, Any Ace Spell, Ribbon-Spread Palm, Spectator-Challeng Aces, Mind Boggler, HaLo Cut, HaLo Aces and HaLo Again, with which I've fooled magicians (and laymen, of course) ALL OVER THE WORLD, for decades, plus so much more --- is not only WRONG, it's also OBVIOUS - to me, anyway, and IN MY OPINION. Yes, of course, we've had our problems in the past - after posts like yours in this thread, right?

Putting down a book of that caliber (according to cardmen ALL OVER THE WORLD) is beyond wrong, it doesn't help anyone. Oh, and thanks for the plug opportunity - that book is re-written, up-dated, etc., in LORAYNE: THE CLASSIC COLLECTION, Vol. 2, along with Reputation-Makers (I know you'd knock that, if you had it) and Afterthoughts (same thought, IN MY OPINION.) I'm in the throes of doing Volume 4, the last, of that series right now - re-writes of my The Magic Book, Star Quality (The magic of David Regal) and The Card Classics of Ken Krenzel.) Not for you, mlippo, obviously. I do, of course, thank you for your remark (the only TRUE (IN MY OPINION) remark in your post - re: my books being the best, etc. (I never say that, so glad you did. Thanks so much.) Interesting to me that you still know what's in my books, because - many moons ago you posted that you BURNED ALL MY BOOKS!! Here's a match - get to Rim Shots! Anyway... HL.
Pre-deck-ability by Aldo Colombini is very hard to beat :)
Sum-traction
Triple Psychometry
Janus Prediction (the easiest)
Chance or Choice

All four are taught in [url=http://www.barnowskymagic.com]The Book of Destiny[/url]

Chance or Choice also was published in MAGIC Magazine February 2009

Larry :readingbook:
Oh, I just have to get this off my chest/mind - I omitted two points from my post above, re: the post seven above mine. One of those points is that this remark, talking about my books - "I do not own them all so [i]there could be something worse than Rim Shots[/i]. Anyway, it's [i]a small booklet[/i]..." (the italics are mine; need to point out these lovely remarks)is probably the most "put-down", "unknowledgeable", "obvious", "nasty", "un-called for", have to repeat -
"UNKNOWLEDGEABLE", remarks I've ever heard or read. And, the out-and-out lie - Rim Shops was NOT "a small booklet." My The Epitome Location had 29 pages, soft cover - THAT'S a "booklet." My Personal Secrets and My Favorite Card Tricks are "booklets." Rim Shots was 150 pages, with about 48 GEMS (according to other people's, from all over the world, opinions) - it certainly is NOT "a small booklet." I just feel it important - necessary - to make sure that you know with whom you're dealing when you read some of the posts by certain people - people like mlippo. (Now he REALLY will burn all my books - of which he doesn't "own them all." Please!
[quote]
On 2012-07-01 18:56, Harry Lorayne wrote:
Oh, I just have to get this off my chest/mind - I omitted two points from my post above, re: the post seven above mine. One of those points is that this remark, talking about my books - "I do not own them all so [i]there could be something worse than Rim Shots[/i]. Anyway, it's [i]a small booklet[/i]..." (the italics are mine; need to point out these lovely remarks)is probably the most "put-down", "unknowledgeable", "obvious", "nasty", "un-called for", have to repeat -
"UNKNOWLEDGEABLE", remarks I've ever heard or read. And, the out-and-out lie - Rim Shops was NOT "a small booklet." My The Epitome Location had 29 pages, soft cover - THAT'S a "booklet." My Personal Secrets and My Favorite Card Tricks are "booklets." Rim Shots was 150 pages, with about 48 GEMS (according to other people's, from all over the world, opinions) - it certainly is NOT "a small booklet." I just feel it important - necessary - to make sure that you know with whom you're dealing when you read some of the posts by certain people - people like mlippo. (Now he REALLY will burn all my books - of which he doesn't "own them all." Please!
[/quote]

Harry, he was comparing the quality of Rim Shots with your other books. Presumably some of your books are better than others. His opinion is that Rim Shots isn't as good as some of the other stuff you've published.
[quote]
On 2012-06-24 13:34, Harry Lorayne wrote:
(No, no, mlippo, I realize that you will stick to doing that other (stolen?) version, right?.

[/quote]

If you ever care to read the wonderful Card College series you'll see that Mr. Giobbi makes a great effort to credit sleights and effects and where they were originally published. If you did that you'd have noticed that in the effect I talk about, you are credited as one of the magicians that inspired the effect and your 'Rim Shots' is cited as where it was published.

mlippo
[quote]
And your remarks re: Rim Shots are not only SO WRONG (IN MY OPINION) but also entirely uncalled for (IN MY OPINION). Putting down a book that contains my false riffle shuffles, that have been, and are, used my card guys ALL OVER THE WORLD, for decades, and Controlled Spelling (with which I - and Michael Vincent - have fooled other magicians ALL OVER THE WORLD, for decades, plus my Status Quo Shuffle, Any Ace Spell, Ribbon-Spread Palm, Spectator-Challeng Aces, Mind Boggler, HaLo Cut, HaLo Aces and HaLo Again, with which I've fooled magicians (and laymen, of course) ALL OVER THE WORLD, for decades, plus so much more --- is not only WRONG, it's also OBVIOUS - to me, anyway, and IN MY OPINION. Yes, of course, we've had our problems in the past - after posts like yours in this thread, right?

[/quote]

That is my opinion and I still stick to it. The other books written by you and which I own (cannot speak for the ones I haven't got of course) are in general better. Just in case someone thought of buying ONE of your books, there are better choices. That's all. I also said that 'Amazing Prediction' is (for me) the best effect in Rim Shots, not THE ONLY ONE THAT IS WORTH MENTIONING.

[quote]

Oh, and thanks for the plug opportunity

[/quote]

As if you need an excuse ...

[quote]

I do, of course, thank you for your remark (the only TRUE (IN MY OPINION) remark in your post - re: my books being the best, etc. (I never say that, so glad you did. Thanks so much.) Interesting to me that you still know what's in my books, because - many moons ago you posted that you BURNED ALL MY BOOKS!! Here's a match - get to Rim Shots! Anyway... HL.
[/quote]

My pleasure, Harry, but since you like people to be very careful when using words, I'll do the same here. What I wrote is the following:

"I admit having had some problems in the past with Mr. Lorayne, but undoubtedly he has published some of the best material you can perform with a pack of cards."

This is not saying that your books are the best (as you seem to 'understand'), but that in general your books contain some material which is among the best things that you can perform with a pack of cards. But I could say the same thing for books/magazines written by Roberto Giobbi, Richard Kaufman, Tommy Wonder, Paul Harris, Lewis Ganson (who wrote Dai Vernon's material), Larry Jennings, Aldo Colombini, Stephan Minch, John Bannon, Michael Ammar and apologies to others that I don't mention...

[quote]
On 2012-07-02 03:55, The Burnaby Kid wrote:
Harry, he was comparing the quality of Rim Shots with your other books. Presumably some of your books are better than others. His opinion is that Rim Shots isn't as good as some of the other stuff you've published.
[/quote]

Apparently my English is good enough for The Burnaby Kid. Why isn't it good enough for you?

mlippo
Okay; obviously if I misunderstood, I apologize. I just didn't read it the way Burnaby did. To me, a remark like "there could be something worse that Rim Shots," is an obvious put-down. Perhaps it is the language barrier. Stefmagic asked simply and directly "Where in print can Harry Lorayne's Amazing Prediction be found?" You answered that mlippo, and that's where (IN MY OPINION)you should have stopped. Stefmagic DID NOT ask for your review of one of my books. NOR DID ANYONE ELSE. Sure you're entitled to your opinion WHEN IT IS ASKED FOR. And my assumption always was/is that I AM ENTITLED TO MY OPINION ABOUT THE OPINIONS OF OTHERS ABOUT ME OR MINE. NO?

And you still haven't mentioned your lie (or language barrier) calling Rim Shots "a small booklet" WHICH IT ISN'T. Obvious omission? So, again, hopefully it's the language barrier - obviously my brain doesn't work as efficiently as Burnaby's - he saw nothing wrong with your uncalled-for remarks (wonder if he'd feel the same if it was his stuff you were talking about). I'll assume he's right and as I said, you have my apology. If he isn't right, and I am, then my statements above about your remarks stand as originally posted.

I'll even assume that your, IN MY OPINION, put-down remark "As if you need an excuse" is part of the language barrier thing. If it isn't, then right back at you - DO YOU EVER NEED AN EXCUSE TO COME IN WITH UNCALLED-FOR REMARKS AND PUT-DOWNS WHENEVER there's mention of me or mine??? Again and obviously, if I'm wrong, and am simply not understanding you properly because of the language barrier, I do apologize.
PS: I certainly find nothing wrong with your English. I wish I could speak/write Italian anywhere close to how well you write English. But, as discussed above, there may be an "understanding" problem.
Can we go back to the topic please ? Hope this is plain English enough, even in small caps.
Thank you.
I'm with you - I always stay on topic. More than I can say for some.
[quote]
On 2012-07-02 12:06, Harry Lorayne wrote:
To me, a remark like "there could be something worse that Rim Shots," is an obvious put-down.
[/quote]

It was not. It was just victim of a comparison with better books.

[quote]
And you still haven't mentioned your lie (or language barrier) calling Rim Shots "a small booklet" WHICH IT ISN'T. Obvious omission?
[/quote]

No omission, but a really bad mistake on my part. My ignorance in the language caused me to call it that and now I realise it is not a 'small booklet'. I deeply apologise!
'Personal Secrets' (which I like very much by the way) is smaller than Rim Shots. I wonder what I'd have called that??? :)

[quote]

Burnaby's [snip] saw nothing wrong with your uncalled-for remarks (wonder if he'd feel the same if it was his stuff you were talking about).

[/quote]

Actually I enjoy his writings very much! Haven't found anything wrong yet but if I ever should, I'll probably say it.

mlippo
[quote]
On 2012-07-02 12:08, Harry Lorayne wrote:
PS: I certainly find nothing wrong with your English. I wish I could speak/write Italian anywhere close to how well you write English. But, as discussed above, there may be an "understanding" problem.
[/quote]

Thank you very much. I am actually quite proud of it.
But there are certainly many many things you can do better than I do. Writing good books in an excellent teaching style being one, for example.

Now I really have all the best intentions to stop all not constructive arguments with you. Life's too bl***y short...

Just to let you know, I've been re-reading Best Of Friends 3 these days while "sitting on the throne" (don't get angry, Card College get also the same treatment!) and now I'm practising and writing the script for 'Guess Quotient' (page 19). Very good and looking forward to trying it for laymen.

mlippo
Okay, mlippo, seems as if we're okay. Also seems as if you didn't burn ALL my books, and where you read them is immaterial as long as you read them (and hopefully enjoy them, and learn from them). Many have told me that Guess Quotient has become one of their top favorite impromptu card effects. Personal Secrets WAS a booklet. Harry L.
No, Harry, books are all there.
That was really idiotic thinking ...

mlippo
Good - and agreed. H.
Back to the topic!
As Vlad mentioned earlier, The Annihilation Deck by Cameron Francis is great and for what it is, very practical.
Icontact by Chris Congreave may be worth a look, its a similar principle. Saying that I don't own it, but hear that it is very good.

Hope this helps
There are working, Professional Magicians, all over the world that use the sleights and routines from Harry Lorayne's Rim Shots.
Now that the train has been put back on the tracks...I'm surprised nobody has mentioned DEVASTATION from Geoff William's DVD. I love that trick. I'll also chime in for Daryl's Untouched.
I've recently started performing Steve Dusheck's ID Case. It fits in that it's a prediction-type effect, is dead easy and it kills.
Folks

we managed to source some absolute KILLER self working prediction effects on the DVD we just put out (Ultimate Self Working Card Tricks). Liam Montier's 'Henry Sugar' is one of the best regarded (and still little known), multiphase predictions ever. you can watch Liam performing it here - http://youtu.be/hI2HEZ51nXU

also, Aldo Columbini's 'Contact Colors' is just ridiculously powerful. (watch that one here - http://youtu.be/nHwnTOYfLXw)

but there are other's on there too... mike austin's 'impossible' is the perfect trick to do if someone just hands you half a dog-eared deck. added to which it completely fries magicians. we demmed this thing all week at FISM and nobody had a clue how it worked. HA!
Well, this one isn't so much of a self working prediction card effect, but a "fortune telling" one because it deals with playing card tarot readings. IT is called Tell-All Gemini by Allan Ackerman in Las Vegas Kardma. It has no set up, and one move that is slightly annoying because you have to do it publicly and it can look suspicous to very suspecious people!
[quote]
On 2012-08-10 16:04, Discordia wrote:
Well, this one isn't so much of a self working prediction card effect, but a "fortune telling" one because it deals with playing card tarot readings. IT is called Tell-All Gemini by Allan Ackerman in Las Vegas Kardma. It has no set up, and one move that is slightly annoying because you have to do it publicly and it can look suspicous to very suspecious people!
[/quote]

I have no idea what this post means?
What don't you understand about it?
Found this thread while "surfing"

Watched HL "Amazing Prediction"; one I have failed to read or watch! I want to work this one.

Has anyone used this in performance? I love it! I am still in "shocked" mode!! WTH just happened???

There are many great card effects out there. I also watched Aldo Colombini, "Pre-Deck-Ability" also a fun one to do, where spectator has some hands on.

But you can NEVER go wrong with any Harry Lorayne effect!
How did he do that??? I have Classic Collection Volume 2, so I need to go home this evening and do some reading!!! :)
Hey Mike: I'm surprised at you - thought you knew all my stuff. Best - Harry L.
Just watched Harry's "Amazing Prediction", and I am amazed. That is self working?? Looked great!
I love so many! Off the top of my head: Prior Commitment (Aronson), Point Spread (Aronson), Shuffle-bored (again, Aronson), A View To a Skill (Bannon), OOTW (impromptu half-deck version as done by Ammar), Open Prediction (Curry, as given in Fulves). And those are just a few! Most prediction card effects seem to be mostly or completely self-working, so we can really milk the drama of the presentation. Good question!
I know a lot of prediction effects but Harry's amazing prediction
is on top for me. I learned it out of his RimShots book. I saw the video and I had to have it.
Wonderful effect.
Loads of good suggestions here, some I know, others I don't.

A very easy to do, but very cool, prediction effect is to be found on Ryan schultz's Miracles Without Moves DVD: Degrees of Boredom.
One of my favorite mentalism effects that is self working is called into the future found on Gerry Griffin's Complete Card magic DVD set. I have performed this many times for friends and it kills all the time. One of the nice things about it is that once you make the predictions, you are completely hands off.
Free Will has a great method for just that! Just start wtih a prediction and amaze! http://www.lybrary.com/free-will-p-476988.html
[quote]On Jul 17, 2010, Vlad_77 wrote:
Amen Barry.

Just a word: Barry's reaction is warranted. You had titled your thread with the word "best". Not only would anyone have to know every possible prediction effect extant, which is an impossibility, more importantly, the term "best" is highly subjective. "Best" is defined by what works for [b]you[/b]. The adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" is so [b]very[/b] true. I think Harris' Overkill [b]is[/b] an excellent effect. If it does not work for you, then of course it is a good thing to find different effects/methodologies to the plot. There really never IS a "best" and that's a good thing.

Subjectively speaking, The Beatles are the best rock band ever, Willie Mays was the best baseball player, and Kurzweil Music Systems makes the best workstation synthesizers. You see how ANY of these could be refuted easily? To ME they are the "best" but another would counter with Led Zeppelin, Honus Wagner, and Korg.

To your credit in your [b]post[/b] you used the terms "suggest" and "good". While the term "good" is also subjective, it is not a superlative, so you will actually get more options and you avoid sidetracking your own thread.

Barry is a good guy [b]and[/b] one of [b]the[/b] most knowledgeable magicians I have ever had the pleasure of corresponding with. Take his "rant" as a positive sort of tough love. That rant is truly invaluable wisdom.

Ahimsa,
Vlad [/quote]

I've only been a member here for a few hours and have noticed more than one version of Barry's rant in more than one thread, but as the new guy I have to say that when I see a thread asking for the "best" something," I take the "in your opinion" as implied. I see, however, that even though the OP's text included words such as "suggest" and "good" instead of "best," he received a rant anyway because of the technicalities involved in the wording of the thread's title. As you point out, Vlad, everything is subjective, so I would have thought that nobody would take "best" literally. And I would have been wrong.

Since it seems that the word is quite often taken literally here, I ask anyone else who cares to chime in - with no snide intent whatsoever - what other land mines should a forum newbie like me (who very well cound have fallen into the "best" trap without meaning "unequivocally proven to be the very best out of every trick ever performed") be aware of? I'm not as much interested in avoiding the rant as I am in not wasting the time of those who would be inclined to provide one, but I am most interested in not irritating forum members senior to me - and just in this thread alone I've sensed a lot of irritation.

Thank any and all of you for any helpful response. The OP stepped on that land mine with 280 posts to his credit. I can only imagine what would be in store for me if I didn't try to find out about other mines in advance.
[quote]On May 31, 2014, RogerTheShrubber wrote:
Amen Barry.

Ahimsa,
Vlad [/quote]

I've only been a member here for a few hours and have noticed more than one version of Barry's rant in more than one thread, but as the new guy I have to say that when I see a thread asking for the "best" something," I take the "in your opinion" as implied. I see, however, that even though the OP's text included words such as "suggest" and "good" instead of "best," he received a rant anyway because of the technicalities involved in the wording of the thread's title. As you point out, Vlad, everything is subjective, so I would have thought that nobody would take "best" literally. And I would have been wrong.

Since it seems that the word is quite often taken literally here, I ask anyone else who cares to chime in - with no snide intent whatsoever - what other land mines should a forum newbie like me (who very well cound have fallen into the "best" trap without meaning "unequivocally proven to be the very best out of every trick ever performed") be aware of? I'm not as much interested in avoiding the rant as I am in not wasting the time of those who would be inclined to provide one, but I am most interested in not irritating forum members senior to me - and just in this thread alone I've sensed a lot of irritation.

Thank any and all of you for any helpful response. The OP stepped on that land mine with 280 posts to his credit. I can only imagine what would be in store for me if I didn't try to find out about other mines in advance. [/quote]

Hi RogerTheShrubber,

First off, a deep thank you for your indirect assistance in defeating the Knights Who Say "Nee!" ;)

Okay, here's the thing: There are times when some actually do want "the best" and you might be surprised at how adamant they are. I'm not specifically referring to the post you cited which is four years old, but, it seems that The Café runs in cycles such that people will ask questions but usually don't offer any evidence that they have done any research on their own. The first answer to that is obviously to do some research. It's a lot easier nowadays with resources like Denis Behr's Archive and other online resources to get a sense of what's out there. Additionally, The Café's own search engine is rather good and most topics have been covered many times. I think there are a t least 30 different threads on "The Best Self-Working Card Trick." There have been queries, literally asking for the "best" of something because the questioner had a show in two days! I'm sorry but that sort of question deserves more than a rant.

There is also a dedication section for newcomers to the art and for members with 50 plus posts there is Secret Sessions in which topics can v=be discussed more freely.

As to the OP's number of posts, please do remember that The Café is the largest online magic community. As I look at the banner right now I see that there are 5,010,100 messages. I have 4677 messages which is a mere star in a galaxy. And, if you reviewed the entire thread you will also have noted that a lot of excellent advice was given - and that is the rule rather than the exception here.

Welcome to The Café and really it isn't a place littered with minefields; it's not a No Man's Land where the cries of "Quick lads, GAS!!" will reverberate in the trenches - sometimes it just feels that way. :) :)

Slainte,
Vlad

PS: I am curious as to why you chose my response rather than Barry's post, RogerTheShrubber. Have you been here before? WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE SAY NO MORE ...
[quote]On May 31, 2014, Vlad_77 wrote:
[quote]On May 31, 2014, RogerTheShrubber wrote:
Amen Barry.

Ahimsa,
Vlad [/quote]

Thank any and all of you for any helpful response. The OP stepped on that land mine with 280 posts to his credit. I can only imagine what would be in store for me if I didn't try to find out about other mines in advance. [/quote]

Hi RogerTheShrubber,

First off, a deep thank you for your indirect assistance in defeating the Knights Who Say "Nee!" ;)

Slainte,
Vlad

PS: I am curious as to why you chose my response rather than Barry's post, RogerTheShrubber. Have you been here before? WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE SAY NO MORE ... [/quote]

No, I chose yours because my first instinct was to get my point across springboarding off your examples of The Beatles and Willie Mays, but upon reviewing my first draft I remembered that tone can't be conveyed in a post and thought that because of that my post would probably come across as snotty, especially from a newbie. My rewrite of my post eliminated those references and I could have easily just posted it without quoting anyone, but I forgot to do so.

As for not directing my post straight to Barry, I thought the indirect touch might be more prudent because I didn't want to come across as the new guy who thinks it's his place to tell off the vets, especially one who draws such kind praise from another guy who is clearly miles ahead of me in magic to begin with. And even though getting in anyone's face was never my intent, you never do know how posts without voice tone will be taken.

But I love the Python references in your post and thank you for the answer. :)
There is an awesome one that almost all self working by woody aragon. He put it in genii about a year ago I think.
Check this out :)
http://www.lybrary.com/a-real-prediction-p-93886.html
The above effect, A Real Prediction, can also be found in the book: Last Word on Cards by: W.F. (Rufus) Steele. (I have it on Michael's VHS tape: Incredible Self-Working Card Tricks Vol. 1 & Michael credits Mr. Vernon. FWIW: Not my kind of a prediction effect. Some may think differently.)
Over at "The Lybrary", for an additional $3.00, (this effect is $4.00) you can get the PDF-Last Word on Cards, 162 total effects.
Go for a really simple force, try not to over think it.
Another vote for Prior Comittment - self working can learn it in a few minutes and it gets great reactions. Just can't repeat the trick to the same crowd.
Aldo Colombini's "Empty Envelope" prediction is easy, humorous, and a crowd pleaser!
Where can one find Aldo's "Empty Envelope"?
"An Empty Envelope" is found at WildColombini.com" :)
[quote]On Apr 11, 2014, mikenewman wrote:
Watched HL "Amazing Prediction"; one I have failed to read or watch! I want to work this one.

Has anyone used this in performance? I love it! I am still in "shocked" mode!! WTH just happened???[/quote]
It's good isn't it! For those who haven't seen it, here is Harry himself performing it.

[youtube]3p_ldT1xUjA[/youtube]

The way he performs it is entirely self-working, mind you, because he adds in various false shuffles and cuts, I think. But to my knowledge, this can be done like this as an entirely self-working effect, correct?