(Close Window)
Topic: Himber rings
I am interested in gettng a quality Himber, what would you reccomend? Cheers.

Sean
http://www.stevensmagic.com and search

Get the video too
Wouldn't be a personal reason for selling a video, would it?

Seriously, Pete's idea on the Stevens' video is just beautiful! I've used it, Pete...it's great!
Stevens used to sell a signet Himber ring that was absolutely beautiful, and sold for around $900. He can't get them any more and I could kick myself for not getting one when they were available.

I hesitated only because the routine I developed, which I think would have been killer, required the use of two Himber rings, and I didn't want to shell out $1800 for the effect. Now I wish I had as I've never seen a Himber Ring that was so well-made and where the "work" was so impossible to detect. :bawl:

Anyone have a recommendation for a precision-made, high-end Himber ring?

Larry D.
Rickmagic1, sir...you have good taste. Yes, that little idea is the topper... and it costs NOTHING...
:applause:
I really like the effect of rings linking together but, don't you think the audience would figure out that your ring is gimmicked in some way. I would love to do this routine but, that fact that the they could think that the magicians ring could be gimmicked, is why i never got it.

What do you think about it?

Brad
Brad, the classic presentation avoids that possibility because it appears that you link three borrowed rings and the audience doesn't even know that your ring is in play. It's workable, though, only when performing for a big group of people.

A weakness of linking a borrowed ring to yours is exactly as you state...the audience has to conclude that your ring is gimmicked. I overcame that problem by developing a routine that uses two Himber rings (it's not obvious how that overcomes the problem unless you know exactly what my routine is), but I haven't performed it because I missed out on the only opportunity to buy a Himber ring that I really liked -- the one that Stevens used to sell, as I mentioned in my posting above.

Nobody answered by question so I thought I'd give it a try again -- does anyone have a recommendation for a precision-made, high-end Himber ring, preferably signet-style?

Regards, Larry D.
Larry, I would suggest going to a jewler. From what I understand, there are rings especially made (Himber) for people with arthritis. It enables the arthritic person to easily, and painlessly, take the ring off.
Take into consideration that you want your ring to look like an average ring in order not to arouse any suspicion of a switch. If you have a decent size audience you will more than likely have somebody in the audience with a ring that looks like yours.

Brad,

If you can get a tape somewhere of Bruce Cervon performing his borrowed linking finger rings it would be well worth your effort.

Charles Spector :stout:
Thanks Charles, I've heard of arthritic rings, but totally forgot about their connection to magic. I'll check it out. Thanks again.

Larry D.
Sorry, the Arthritic Ring is not going to do it... it expands but does not open.

The Himber Ring, actually designed and invented by Persi Diaconis, when he worked for Himber, was created totally for the effect. The first rings were made by NY Jeweler Willy Schneider to Diaconis' design.

I doubt if Cervon would let ANYONE tape his routine. It is by far the best I have ever seen.

He is using something of Al Koran's that is totally a secret, one that Koran taught me before he died, but since I wasn't doing the routine I gave it to Cervon... and he more than does it justice. Even fools me with his impeccable handling.

The second best I have seen is Nick Lewin's routine with five rings.

Kreskin did it for the University of California in Berkeley one night (I happened to be there) and got TWO STANDINGN OVATIONS doing it, and he did it poorly by magician's standards, but he SOLD IT SOLD IT SOLD IT.

XOXXOOXO
Pete, where does Cervon live and where can I get truth serum?
Hollywood :dancing:
ROFLMAO, but I said truth serum, not botox.
Larry,

You're going to Hollywood, in search of...the truth? :confused:
Curtis, are you suggesting that it would be easier to find Amelia Earhart? :realnerdy:
She's in Oakland with the Raiders. :coolspot:
I actually met a magician in Georgia once who had Koran's orginal instructions for his Himber ring routine!

I had no idea it was so outstanding until 7 years later. I was just a kid buying a Himber ring from a stand in a mall and I asked the guy what he thought the best routine was.

He started "jabber-ring" about all of these, then he mentioned Al Koran and my ears perked. I told him all I had read about him and he took meinside the stand and unlocked a filing cabinet. He took out some old papers and explained to me how he had won them at an auction. HE showed me the whole routine and I was completely baffled with what he could do with that piece of ****/plastic. He showed me how to do the first part of the routine, but I forgot a few days later.

If I had known at all how great and rare that routine was I would have really listened.

And for the life of me I can't remember the guy's name. He said he performed on stage professonally. He was really quite nice and gave me the Himber ring free.

Well, I suppose I should stop Jabber - Ring. Just thought I'd share.

Jakks
Roy Roth has a nice looking engagement himber ring on his website. It appears that it is crafted by their London Jewler to their specifications.

Check it out at:
http://www.rarmagic.com/online/

Michael
http://www.stevensmagic.com sells a neat one too.
http://www.dennymagic.com/cgi-bin/hazel.cgi?client=64920863&action=detail&item=004910
Hi,

I recently acquired a very nice Himber ring from L & L Publishing, but I didn't care for the routine that came with it.

I have AL Koran's Legacy, and Al Koran's Professional Presentations, but neither have a description of his 3 ring routine. Where can I find a good printed description of this? Thanks.

Jeff Binning
[quote]
On 2003-10-16 13:04, Jeff in Colorado wrote:
Hi,

I have AL Koran's Legacy, and Al Koran's Professional Presentations, but neither have a description of his 3 ring routine. Where can I find a good printed description of this?
[/quote]

Jeff

You must have the earlier edition of Al Koran's Legacy. The effect has been marketed and what is effectively the instruction sheet was added to the "Silver Anniversary" edition of this book.

Cheers
Linds
The Himber Ring Tape is brilliant and should be seen by anyone that wants to learn both the routine as well as the little bits of business that truly sell it. Aside from the opportunity to see many leading pro's do their routines from McComb to Lesley, Pete Biro's tips are worth twice the price for anyone that wants to do this routine. Brilliant and well worth the money!

The other outstanding routine to learn is from the Cavney book "WiseGuy" - the magic of Harry Anderson. If you use the video and that book's routine, you will be able to construct your own routine that avoids any problems of the audience suggesting that you are using a gimmicked ring as it will appear that you use three BORROWED rings, not one of your own and that you have each ring lender varify that their rings are seen.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Tom Stone, from Sweden, has an excellent Himber Ring routine.