(Close Window)
Topic: The Book of Thoth by Stephen Minch
Hello Darklings,
I've been recommended this book for some great effects with tarot cards, but being a total numbnuts I can't seem to find it anywhere apart from to download on some dodgy looking sites.
Can anyone tell me how to get hold of this?
Failing that, Are there any other books/effects that anyone can recommend for some good tarot material?
I'm putting together a little stuff for a sideshow night and would love to blend some interesting magic that's more than reading, but still going to chill people just a little. :)

xx VB
http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/product.php?productid=5843
Ah! RCP, you come to my aid again you rockstar!
Thank you very much.
xx V
Hello Miss Vega
If you will check our site in my signature, you will find a link to Jim Magus' site and shopping area for his works, including "Turn of a Friendly Card"

Click the button on the left edge for "little shop of horrors" and then click the link to Jim Magus. He has some fine ideas that man does!
Kay
Jim Magus ROCKS!
Jim Magus is key to it all!
A living legend.
Magus
I always look forward to being permitted to submit material to Jim's projects because both he and them are first rate.

Kotah
[quote]
On 2010-07-30 14:33, RCP wrote:
[/quote]

That is akin to putting Jack the Ripper in charge of a brothel. If you want to hand money out, I can send you my address.
Hey, BOT has the greatest version of the 21 card trick I have ever come across..

In addition to Magus - PM T C Tahoe - he has a book entirely devoted to effects with Tarot as well.

Also, although not said yet - you can really wipe out minds with learning effective readings with them without any magic.... and there are a few great books out there too.
VB,
In the Play of Shadows by TC Tahoe
This is a over 50 page book with over 25 effects using tarot cards. TC Tahoe was/is a member here. You might be able to search his name on the Café and find contact information.

Barney
May the moon be in the 7th house and Jupiter align with Mars
[quote]
On 2010-07-31 10:10, Mark Raven wrote:
[quote]
On 2010-07-30 14:33, RCP wrote:
[/quote]

That is akin to putting Jack the Ripper in charge of a brothel. If you want to hand money out, I can send you my address.
[/quote]

Are you giving the book away for free? Send Miss Vega and me one.
No. . . but ordering an out of print item from Hank Lee will be interesting. They're more than happy to take your money and back order indefinitely, though.
The Black Hart's "Big Black Book" has a lot of tarot related effects, together with methodology etc behind putting together shows etc.

Check out http://www.blackhart.co.uk/books.html and also some of his bizarre effects.

Cheers,
Matt
Goodness me, I'm going to be a hard up girlie for a while, so much to look into! So this book is out of print, the thoth one?

xxVB
Unless something has happened that I haven't heard, which is well within the realm of possibility, yes. You can probably find it if you poke around a bit though.

That being said, all three of the other books mentioned are also very good. Jim Magus's is probably my favorite, along with the Thoth book.

Mark
I never had a problem with Hank Lee but if that is happening with others, I would think twice about ordering it unless they can confirm it's in stock.
TBH - why can't you just take a "simple" card effect and write a story around it using tarot cards instead of normal playing cards? That's what most of the effects in the mentioned books do. There's nothing I've seen new in terms of handling / sleights etc with tarot cards that hasn't been done already in something like Giobbi's Card College or even Royal Road to Card Magic.
True that!
I believe that Mickey Hades was the original publisher of TBOT before Stephen Minch himself began publishing.

He may still have copies try: http://www.mickyhades.com/

Leslie
Also, you could e-mail Steve himself at Hermetic Press - he is a great guy and who knows what he might dig up for you.
Thanks for the mention. If you enjoyed my book look for the sequel "In The Play of Light" coming soon...or soonish :)
[url=http://www.ronjo.com/magic/bkthoth.html]This place[/url] says they have [i]The Book of Thoth[/i] in stock as I write this.

:banana:
I am wanting to do a circus sideshow for Halloween this year and what I want to do is a Freak Show (using magic so no Freaks are harmed, of course). Any ideas of sources for such a show? Also want a lot of audience participation.

Thanks
[quote]
On 2010-08-06 09:10, weepinwil wrote:
I am wanting to do a circus sideshow for Halloween this year and what I want to do is a Freak Show (using magic so no Freaks are harmed, of course). Any ideas of sources for such a show? Also want a lot of audience participation.

Thanks
[/quote]

Umm... didja post in the right thread???
[quote]
On 2010-07-31 10:51, Dr Spektor wrote:
Hey, BOT has the greatest version of the 21 card trick I have ever come across..

Also, although not said yet - you can really wipe out minds with learning effective readings with them without any magic.... and there are a few great books out there too.
[/quote]

SHHH!!!!! That's MY trick! LOL.

Misdirections has BoT in stock and they ship worldwide...

http://www.misdirections.com

Joe is a personal friend of mine.
Thanks guys!! I got TBOT - Dr Spektor - the 21 card trick is great - I think it's actually better with tarot then playing cards?

Thanks again everyone... Oh and Weepingwil I feel you would have greater response were this posted elsewhere. Not sure what your asking exactly, but if I can, I will. Failing that, I'll come be a magic freak and hammer some stuff into my head :-D

xx VB
Hey VB - its one of the only ways to do the 21 card trick and maintain self respect and also floor someone! Glad you got it!
Ohhh great balls of fiery pumpkin!!! Iv'e accidentially become hooked on the magic of tarot. And now I can't stop thinking about it... Does anyone know of a UK stockist that carry TC Tahoe's In the Play of Shadows - The tarot effect?
I feel I must have it, saw a preview on Amazon US site. Utter Love.

PS Dr Spektor, totally agree. It's one of those tricks you teach your nephew whilst clutching the irish cream liquer on christmas day, lying on the living room floor, systematically picking your way through a chocolate selection box, half watching the queen's speech on TV to avoid your mothers annual careers guidance session and half fighting your brother over who has to take granny to the loo next... All while little jimmy bugs you for another card trick.

...Or that might be just me. Either way, I loving the tarot version.

xx VB
Just PM TC... look above, he just posted - he is a great guy and I'm sure he'll sell you his ebook!
Ha! He beat me to it and Pm'd me first. Sorted!
xx VB