(Close Window)
Topic: Rolling rubber bands
Maybe they will next study boomeranging rubber bands:
http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2010/07/the-physics-of-a-rolling-rubber-.html
Ah yes I am a student of angular momentum (boomerang rubber band), and you can learn it too at http://www.juggleral.com/ just click "more videos" twice, and then click "boomerang rubber band" twice.
Thank you Mr. Angello!
Al Angello,

stanalger is the one who taught me 'my' boomerang rubber band technique many moons ago ... on a racquetball court far, far away in Ann Arbor, MI.

How long ago was that? Have to give that some thought ...

Cap'n Mike
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``
Mike & Stanalger
I was taught by Don Cox from Knoxville Tennessee who used to do it do it the conventional way, but some time ago he came up with a better handling which develops much more torque. Please go to my web site, look at my handling, and tell me if your technique is different than mine.
Hi Al,

I can't find the video when I follow your link.

All I get is a page of contact info and a list of links to other websites.

Cheers,

Ros
Ros
I just tried it, and it worked fine for me. No one has ever told me that they had a problem with my web site before. I don't know what to tell you?
Al,

Is your site a flash site?

I accessed it this morning on my iphone and there was a large black space where, on my computer, there is now something.

iphones don't recognise flash, so I think that was the problem.

Cheers,

Ros
Yes Ros
My site is flash, and I hope you like the boomerang rubber band, and the other rubber band tricks that I have up there.
I love stuff like this. Little tricks with ordinary stuff. Not really juggling, not really magic... Just darn cool!!!
Ros
Once my dentist's assistant introduced her teenaged daughter to me, and told her that I was a magician. The girl got excited, and said "show me some magic", so I looked around on her mom's desk for some help. I did 5 rubberband tricks for her from off the top of her mom's desk. Her mom tells me that she tells all of her friends about the day she met a magician.
Boomerang Rubberband has won me a lot of bar bets and free drinks - and that's all I got to say about that ...

Seaside Showman
(Thanks to stanalger for showing it to me many moons ago at a raquetball court far, far away)
Cap'n Mike (aka Seaside Showman),

Can you believe that was over 25 years ago?????
Al Angello,

No, the technique I use is different from the technique you use.
I learned the trick from Chris Kenner. Chris credits Paul Sponaugle with improvements to a Michael Weber technique written up by Scot Morris for the Games column in Omni magazine (April 1986). I believe Dan Garrett also deserves part of the credit for this technique. However, my father SWEARS that one of his old bowling buddies did boomerang rubberband on bowling alleys many, many moons ago. The bowling buddy is no longer with us, so I couldn't follow up on dad's story.
I've seen others use the Don Cox method...and I must say that the spin you get doing it that way is better than the spin you get doing it the way I learned. But the method I know works 100% so I don't plan to learn the Cox method. However...I would recommend the Cox method to anyone starting from scratch. Fantastic spin on that one!!! And your video generously provides any student all of the info they need.

Al
I was unable to lock my pinky, which made the conventional method impossible for me. Don Cox taught Dan Garrett the conventional method before he changed his technique, and because it is an oral tradition I teach it at every convention that I attend.
I paid for the trick years ago from TMyers Magic... but couldn't get it to work for me until I went to University of Chapel Hill's Juggling Convention a year or so later and watched a guy doing it... he would shoot the rubberbands out (he brought a bag of 'em for everyone to practice with) and when they came back, he'd have the bands go over a ramp. Pretty cool to watch and try and do.
Was his name Captain Mike?
I honestly can't remember... if Captain Mike also did a trick where he would launch a yoyo across the floor, over a ramp and thru a flaming hoop, then yes. :)