(Close Window)
Topic: Most impacting effect using a TT?
Just curious as to what others think their most impacting effect would be utilizing a TT ?

Part 2: Does the production / vanish of a small silk still amaze / entertain people after all the exposure in the past ?
Vanish of a Lit Cigarette.

Part 2: Yes
Money Morph and the Vanish of the Lit Cigarette (but only if you have short sleeves.

Part 2: I concur

:nod:
I had a bizarre moment where my kid found the thumb tip and wanted to know; "What can you do with [that]?"

So I borrowed a dime from him and casually showing the hands empty, popped the tt into the fist, put the dime into it, picked it up with the other hand and showed the dime gone. Now, he [knew] I had the tip, but he'd seen me put it on my right hand and now he could see both hands empty front and back (casually, but quickly) before he could focus on the [other] hand and notice where the tip (and thus the dime) had gone, I made a grab at the air with my [left] hand and poured the dime into his hand.

Thing was; he [knew] I had the tip! He'd handed it to me, but once I started working he was just as stunned because he thought he knew what he was going to see and it didn't work out that way! :wow:
I think "Strong Medicine" is a very powerful way of utalizing a TT.
Since the vanish of a lit cigarette has been mentioned, let me add another great effect.

Dave Williamson had an effect that was written up in Genii years back as "The Envanishment and Reappearance of a Quantity of Salt". The name was a bit of a joke on the way effects were named in "Discoverie of Witchcraft". The effect can also be found on one of his "Sleight of Dave" videos. It's a very powerful vanish and transposition of a fistful of salt. For table hoppers, it resets instantly.

Check it out.

Paul
So what is the effect of "Strong Medicine" ?

And if you do use the appearing/vanishing silk do you do it bare handed or from something, i.e. dollar bill, business card, etc. ?
I used to vanish a silk from my hand into my mouth.

I use a thumbtip in my Bill To Lemon routine solely so I can get the bill to my pocket. I also use it to reach into a can of creamed corn to get a note out.
I go with Money Morph
John Cornelius's routing using the "100 dollar bill switch". Can't remember the title of the routine but its an excellent use of the TT. He sets alight a borrowed bill, makes it magically re-appear - its not the original, so he changes to the borrowed bill. Its far better than my description - so apologies to John.

When you vote for vanishing lit cigarette, do you find most impact from vanishing it in a borrowed jacket, or from vanishing it in your own hand?
I Think that vanishing a lit cigarette into a borrowed article of clothing is just about unbeatable in regards to impact.
Strong medicine: The corner is torn off a borrowed and initialed bill. The piece vanishes. When a bottle of Tylenol that has been in plain view since the beginning of the effect is opened the spectator finds the matching torn corner inside. The piece is folded up in side the bill, and when the bill is unfolded, it is completely restored.

Michael
Whose effect is "Strong Medicine"?

Where can it be found?
Strond Medicine is on Volume one of Sankey's Secret Files.
If you're searching for a killer effect with a TT that no one does and will stun your audience, get a copy of the Gaetan Bloom vid on the subject. It's in French, but you don't need to speak it to appreciate it it's full value.
Search for Gaetan Bloom Faux Pouce and you will find stores that sell it over the net. Bye.
I'd second David Williamson's saline solution. (the the title from genii sounds more impressive)

Its the only reason I use a wand, and since it resets itself, I can do it again and again all night.

And surprisingly, the vanish of a silk still amazes people.
I've also done four small silks melt into one using the TT.
$100 bill switch is the best trick to do with a TT.
Bill Switch
Disappearing Silk
Vanish Lit Cigarette
What method do you use to 'steal' the TT ?

Pinch vanish like Tony Clark? The Vernon tip out ? Classic 'Five Finger Poke' ? Or something else?
Vernon tip out? Pardon my ignorance, but where can I find this reference? (I just received a copy of the Dai vernon book of Magic, is it in there?)
Silk Appearence and Vanish

#2 YES!
Message: Posted by: Alexander the Magician (Jul 5, 2003 05:22PM)
Troy Hoosers Sponge work. In Troys hands these effects are incredible.

(((See my other post in Rings, strings... I have a few questions for anyone who preforms the above.)))
Change a borrowed signed bill to a one dollar bill and reproduce the borrowed bill from a change purse....always knocks em' dead.

Eric just mentioned the Jim Sisti routine in the latest Magic Magazine...that's it!
Message: Posted by: Alexander the Magician (Jul 5, 2003 08:44PM)
It hasn't been mentioned so I will, Paul Richard's Sweet Success. Looks wonderfully impromptu!
I once did an effect for a bunch of 3 and 4 year olds where I took off my thumb. I completely exposed the TT and showed it to the kids. I only did this because I didn't have anything else on me at the time nor was there anything around for me to use. However I wouldn't recommend doing this, but the kids loved it. :pepper:
What is the premise of " Paul Richard's Sweet Success " ?

And where can it be found ?
The vanish of a small silk still amazes and entertains people if you do it in a good way. That means if you can build a presentaion that is strong enough. The vanishing silk is a classic and will remain a clasic for the lay audience. They have seen it done hundreds of times and still think it is amazing.
Snow Production and vanishing a lit cigarette in the bare hand.
Message: Posted by: Alexander the Magician (Jul 8, 2003 11:08PM)
Nicodemus-
Sweet Success,
the magician rips open a sugar packet, and makes the contents dissapear. He offers to explain how it is done, but this time, not only has the sugar dissapeared, it has reappeared back in the sugar packet!

Paul Richards one-man parade appears in Volume 80 Number 3 of the Linking Ring, dated March 2000.
Thank you Alexander for the reference.
I really like Johnny Ace Palmer's 3 silk routine. Like he says, "It looks like real magic," how the silks vanish and reappear. :cool:
Joesph: where is the " Johnny Ace Palmer's 3 silk routine " published please ?
I have the Palmer trilogy tapes, and it is on one of them. He uses it all the time, and came up with it at an early age. It is really good, and all you need are the 3 silks and the tt. :cool:
My favorite is to have a spectator sign a silk with a magic marker, then do your vanish. A bowl of fruit is sitting in full view and the spectator hands you the fruit of their choice. Cut a hole in the fruit and pull the silk out of the fruit. This was a routine that the late, great Doug Henning did in his act and the audience reaction was excellent.
-Iven :patty:
Joesph... Can you give a basic idea of what the "Johnny Ace Palmer's 3 silk" routine effect is ?
Cig in Jacket is my one and only routine with a T T. I always carry this, some cotton wool and a pen knfie. You can then load the TT into there jacket with the cotton wool it, stab the pen knife in your HARD tt and then pull out the cottom wool as if it was the coat's stuffing! Leave a little in and when the cig goes in that thing will really burn!
It involves vanishing and producing 3 different colored silks from the center of each other, with the spectator pulling the last one out. Great for the birthday kid, etc. :cool:
Check out Dean Dill's handling for the Three scarves, he has a more amazing ending to the effect that I think is more memorable.

It's called the "Tonight Show Silks" which is in his "Intimate Secrets Booklet"
I've been toying with the idea of producing a live goldfish.

I wonder how long the little suckers can last out of water?

Any fish hobbiests out there know?

:magicrabbit:
For the gold fish production. Here's something that might interest you. [url=http://www.kjmagic.com/catalog/effects01.html]Click here[/url] and look at the goldfish Production and half way down the page. It's a great thumb tip gimmick.

Now, let's not over look the old vanishing salt trick with the T tip. This can be played very big. Dave Williamson has a great salt routine with T tip and a coffee cup in his Sleight of Dave video. I'm not sure the name of it but it's a very fun trick.

i remember seeing an effect in one of the Thumb tip books (I forget the author) but it's with Skittles candy. The different colors are dropped into the cup. Two people pull out a piece and the colors always match. This is similar to an old trick with a paper bag and ping pong balls but it's in a smaller scale.

Ron Jaxon
I've heard of other people doing a card to inside of a salt shaker.

It sounds good... any references to learn this?
Richard Osterlind's effect wherein a packet of sugar substitute is signed (wouldn't that preclude the use of substitutes?) crushed, torn open and inverted (the "sugar" is poured into your fist, followed by the balled up wrapper) and then all restored.

Check out John Born's "Matrix God's way" for an amazing take-off on the saltshaker under a napkin, and "oil and Water" done with salt and pepper. Forget the "Matrix" stuff, this is way cool.

Jimmy Yoshida's "Volcano" from the Darwin books. I used it for years on stage. It's a modern classic.
As mentioned before - the Williamson effect with the salt vanishing and reappearing in a cup is a killer - he even kills magicians with it every time.

He has a video out called "another 30 minutes with D.W." and it is there - absolutely killed me. A must have. This is sleight of hand the way it SHOULD be.
I would also recommend the $100 bill switch.

n
Two gems from Roger Klause; Sponge up the Sleeve and The Name's the Same. Both can be found in Ammar's Encore 3.
Dill's 3-silk routine indeed plays very well for family/party venues. So are his variations on spongeballs and TT.

I recently saw The Flicking Fingers movie where a very cool vanishing silk routine is done. Fools all of those who think they know!

Does anyone know if I can still get the sleight of Dave video somewhere?
Geoff Williams rabbit in the hat effect.Kids just love it when that little bunny comes out. Adults too.
In general, any effect done naturally with a nice story line...
Paul
Where can one find this David Williamson Video? A Google search turned up no mention of it.

[quote]
On 2003-08-07 03:55, Nir Dahan wrote:
as mentioned before - the williamson effect with the salt vanishing and reappearing in a cup is a killer - he even kills magicians with it every time.
he has a video out called "another 30 minutes with D.W." and it is there - absolutely killed me. a must have. this is Sleight of hand the way it SHOULD be.
I would alos recommend the 100$ bill switch.

n
[/quote]
Patrick Page has a descent video on the TT and he has a very nice steal which wipe that smirk off the faces of those dads in the audience that think they know what's going on.

The steal takes the Slydini steal one step further.
"Roger Klause: In Concert" has a great handling of the $100 bill switch in it.

He covers the basic handling and adds some nice touches that really strengthen the illusion.
Pulling the green silk fibers out of a dollar bill.
Gotta check out SILVER SEASONING in "Matrix God's Way". It is a KILLER application perfect for an incredibly powerful set while dining in a restaurant or at someone's home. :wow:
Disapearing bill
vanishing a lit cigarette.
snort and sweet (michael Ammar)
Burnt and restored hankee
Mr. Born: where can 'Matrix God's Way' be located please ? Thank you.
Hi Nicodemus!

You can order it from me, as well as it is available at Steven's Magic Emporium, Denny & Lee's, Magic Music & More, and U.S. Toy Magic. You can read more about the effects in the book section of the Café', as well as an unbiased review at online-visions.com. Let me know if you have any questions...
:spinningcoin: :spinningcoin: :spinningcoin:
Lately I have been playing with Phil Cass` "Fisherman's Wharf Special". The effect is straightforward and strong. With your sleeves rolled up, you pour a small amount of water or any liquid into one closed fist. It vanishes and reappears inside your other fist.
I do a nice watch stop using a R.E.M. in the tip. You can pinch the watch at the fingers and hold it up as you stop it.
Make some cream form a plastic creamer vanish. Remember, surface tension is your friend!
Vanishing a lit cigarette definitely has the most impact but there are many very cool things that can be done. Silk routine is one of them.

Here is a TT routine I do. This is just the basic idea. The sublties have been omited.

I have a bill signed and under the intention of doing a bill change from a dollar into a $5, it fails... so I proceed to tear the bill in half and then in half again to make 4 dollars in frustration. Then I burn the torn bills to ashes. I have someone select an orange from many in a bowl. I then produce the signed, torn and burned bill from that orange using a TT.
People go nuts!
Lit cig vanish kills. Check out Geaton Blooms Ring flight type effect using a TT. This guys a fricken genius.
My favorite effect with a TT is to have 2 spectators hold the corners of a 18" or 24" inch silk and then pushing a smaller 6" inch silk of a contrasting colour through the larger silks center center.
I agree with ottomagic,

Jim Sisti's routine where you change a borrowed signed bill to a one dollar bill and reproduce the borrowed bill from a change purse is great.

It astonishes people AND you end clean! How many TT routines are there where you can say that!
About 10 years ago, I got my first TT. I was playing around with it. My wife has a daycare and there was one little boy watching me.

I smiled and told him to watch. That I was going to chop my thumb off. I used a slicing motion and dropped the TT on the floor.

He looked at me and with the sternest voice he said, "You pick that up and put it back and don't do that ever again!"

I never have. I've learned that I was exposing too much, plus I learned that children are way too literal (they get bigger though).

For many, many reasons I would never do a repeat performance. (I'm sure others will tell me why - grin)

But it is still very memorable to me.

Have a great day - El Lamo
I love the sucker color change silk. You get a lot of presentation with very few props. Billy Mcomb's color change silk is killer too. But that's not using a "TT."
Of course the $100 Bill switch is the best effect using a TT. I'm probably the 10th person who has said this. :bigsmile:
Visi-bill
sucker color change silk
vanish a lit cigarrete in spectator clothes
I do a routine using a coin, pencil, and a silk.
It begins with the coin apearing and disappearing repeatedly.
I then show an 18" silk, which I explain has a magic hole in the middle. I pass the coin thru the silk, a knot is tied in the silk and disappears "through the hole". then I reach into the center of the silk and produce a long loop of string. I tell the audience the loop of string is the hole. I then use it to perform a number of string figures.
I use a Vernet giant TT to produce the string from the silk.
Reading it above, it doesn't sound like much, but I'm not sure of the name of all the moves I use. It is a very strong routine and I usually use it to open my close up routine.
What is your ending to the Lit Cig vanish?

Surely the cigarette is damaged and they really wouldnt want to smoke it again, so a fresh one behind my ear for them to puff on...removing it from my ear first or that would be hideous! :angry:

Dave ;)
There are some killer effects and TT handlings on Dirk Losanders newest DVD "Magic Anytime Anywhere"
It is a 15 minute "improptu" magic act with nothing more than a loop and a TT.
Well worth looking into.
Williamson has a cool routine where he borrows a bic pen and mentions they come with change. He shakes it and you can hear change rattling around. He takes off the cap and dumps out 2 dimes and a nickle. Then he puts them back and returns the pen.
Vanishing cigarette to pound. :thumbsup:
I've done the vanishing silk for a quickie effect. The lit cigarette, back when more people smoked. :) I like the 41 cent Miracle from Michael Ammars Money Miracles series. (vol 1) An easy way to perform money miracles.
But after reading this post, it makes me realize I'm missing out on some great effects. Especially the vanishing/reappearing routines using a piece of fruit.
Where can I learn a good presentation of vanishing a lit cigarette in a spectator’s shirt?
I am teaching in a new school again this year and as an reward for the kids being good in class, I will sometimes do magic for them.

I did the basic vanish and reappearing silk for them, usually making the silk come back in some impossible place, like a kids coat pocket.

That one simple routine is really quite amazing to anyone has never seen it before.

Incidentally, I had one kid come up to me after class, (he was about 8) and in a someone distraught manner tell me that he really couldn't figure out how I did that trick. He said he had seen a magic thumb thing before, but he had really had no idea how the hankie trick was done.

I love it! ;)
Lit cigarette vanish. I have been thinking recently about add a few drops of water for the sizzle of burnt skin (while making painful faces :wow: ) Anybody try this yet .. is it worth it?
Signed bill from cigarette and vanish of a lit cigarette are two of my TT staples and both always get strong reactions both performed in bar venues.

2. Yes!
My favorite is the $100 bill switch. It always gets great reactions from people, even if they KNOW I have a TT on. I preface this effect by doing the old Upside-Down bill trick. This puts them off guard so that when I switch the bill they're amazed.

I still find people like the old vanishing/reappearing silk. I've heard people say that stuffing with your thumb is an unnatural move, but I've never had a spectator say "hey, that was weird - are you doing something sneaky?"
What spectator's say and what they think are often worlds apart. The only real way you can judge the effect is in thier response to it. Lukewarm reactions are where the 'I know what he did but am nice and won't say anything' spectators roam.
[quote]
On 2003-11-11 14:43, Johnnymysto wrote:
I preface this effect by doing the old Upside-Down bill trick. This puts them off guard so that when I switch the bill they're amazed.
[/quote]

Roger Klause published that idea, and it's really excellent because when the $100 bill is fully opened but upside down, the audience doesn't yet realize that it's a $100 bill as long as your fingers cover the indices. The magic seems to happen when the bill is righted.

Larry D.
[quote]
On 2003-08-07 13:27, Joshua Lozoff wrote:
Where can one find this David Williamson Video? A Google search turned up no mention of it.

[quote]
On 2003-08-07 03:55, Nir Dahan wrote:
as mentioned before - the williamson effect with the salt vanishing and reappearing in a cup is a killer - he even kills magicians with it every time.
he has a video out called "another 30 minutes with D.W." and it is there - absolutely killed me. a must have. this is Sleight of hand the way it SHOULD be.
I would alos recommend the 100$ bill switch.

n
[/quote]
[/quote]

"Saline Solution"
This material is on the video "Dave 2: More Magic & Laughs with David Williamson." I finally managed to get, through the Magic Café, "Sleight of Dave (1990)" and "Dave 2 (1993)." They are very hard to find but worth their weight in gold. I understand Mr. Williamson may soon put these out on DVD. Too late for me.

Another great TT effect on this tape is "The Ribauld Rag" referred to in his book "Williamson's Wonders" and the "Whirly Bird Silk Vanish." A beautiful silk vanish with a wand. Jacket required.
I really like liquid vanish,silk production,andsuger vanish. All classics.
Jay Scott Berry does some of the best TT work I've seen. His handling is subtle, magical and will fool those who think they are in the know.
Jay Scott Berry's special Eclipse TT is the best I have ever seen and worked with. The Eclipse has a very smart concept integrated with the TT. The Eclipse can do things you never have seen before...
Jay´s handling of a TT is very smooth and magical.

He has published a DVD on the art of Eclipse:
http://www.jayscottberry.com/jsbeclipse.html
Producing a pearl anklet from a 5 dollar bill at Christmas.
The biggest reaction I ever got was at a bar with a big drunk guy who was really annoying everyone.

I jabbed him in the left eye with the TT and you should have seen him dance around.
10 years ago, I actually won a magic competition with the vanishing thumb tip...
I am a beginner, as you can see by my number of posts, and I want to know why thumb tips are so invisible yet can hide big stuff like silks. If you consider this an exposure, PM me.
Ya want impact?

Buy some meal worms from the pet store.

At dinner, start scratching the table with your fingernail. When someone asks what your doing.
Hold your finger out and say, "Eggs."
They will ask, "What the hell are you talkin' about?"
Then say, "Incubate."
Close your hand for a moment and..
Dump the meal worms from your fist.

Gross? Yea. :fruity: Impact? :eek:

heheh
What kind of presentation do you use for the vanishing/reappearing silk thing? I'm not asking for a full script, just maybe outline your idea. My problem is that I always end in the "okay, look at this, I place a silk in my hand..." patter which I don't like.

thanks

yfirum
The burned and restored handkerchief or napkin plays very well.
[quote]
On 2004-11-16 11:34, Yfirum wrote:
What kind of presentation do you use for the vanishing/reappearing silk thing? I'm not asking for a full script, just maybe outline your idea. My problem is that I always end in the "okay, look at this, I place a silk in my hand..." patter which I don't like.

thanks

yfirum
[/quote]

I don't talk much at all when doing this. I start with a blue or green silk - waving it around a little and say "Watch!" Then I take a red or yellow silk and stuff it into the first one. Wad this up into a ball and toss it up into the air causing the first silk to un-wad and float down to my hand with the second silk nowhere to be seen. Then toss the first silk to a spec. Reproduce second silk at your convenience.

Barry
Not my favourite TT effect but been having some fun with instant snow, nearly everybody likes snow.
Probably many would have overlooked this, but you can balance a card by the edge on the back of your hand, I present it as a stunt... Charlie frye had a version of this in Eccentricks 2, where he did it on his head instead
I LOVE LOVE LOVE Sucker Restored Match (p.12 No47 in 101 TT tricks). This always goes down very well and is quite confusing for the spec. They tend to get the trick 2 minutes after.
I also have a folding coin that is often to be found in my TT.
I also do a silk penetration on a specs clothing and cig vanish on specs clothing.

I also do a shock production. I used the gimmick from the bottom of an exploding coin joke. This is a little flipper with a toy gun cap on it. When lifted (or released) the cap lets out a loud bang.
This is FP'd in my left. My right brings the TT over for a left steal. I then vanish an object. As I am revealing I get them close in and open my hand slowly, then BANG! they get the fright of their life. This is a very cool stunner for any wiseacres.
The most impacting effect, IMHO, using a TT must be Richard Osterlind's Sweet and Lower, from Mind Mysteries.
For those of you who are not familiar with the effect, you hand over a packet of sugar substitute (Saccharine, NutraSweet, etc) and ask them to sign it. Then, in front of their faces, you rip it open and pour its content, along with the used packet, on your fist. A magic pass, and voila, the packet is restored.

Best,

Alfredo
Jay Sankey's Fan Mail. KILLER routine.

http://magicfriday.blogspot.com/2008/10/jay-sankeys-fan-mailkoslowskis-100-bill_31.html
Here's a great silk routine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eussdShPPQA

also... sugar to sugar cube sounds like a sweet idea! never tried it myself yet, but I would imagine that it goes over pretty well.
[quote]
On 2012-12-23 11:04, AdamChance wrote:
Here's a great silk routine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eussdShPPQA
[/quote]

Nice .. All the great entertainment out of that simple item. ...
I have several TT effects in my lecture. You have a well formed in a silk, drop a lit match in, and a silk appears. This can be reversed..a silk is vanished in the second silk, drop a lit match and a flash occurs and the silk has vanished in the flash.
----------------
I do a dye tube effect with a TT
---------------------
Silk in spectators wallet, eye glass case, or spectators sleeve.
Here comes the old geezer again!
I bought my first (metal) TT in 1946 from Percy Abbott (he paid the postage!!!)for 25 cents. (Percy apparently needed to raise some money, so he was running a sale on a few things! In those days the big thing was vanishing a STUB of a lit cig. in a borrowed handkerchief. The metal TT was about an inch long (deep)--a stub was about all it could hold. I used it a lot.

Then "Mr. Vernet" came along! In 1975,at the SAM conv. in Chicago, I was jackpotting with old friend J B BOBO. He said, "Dick have you seen this?" He produced and vanished a 12" silk. (bare hands) From the basic handling, I recognized a TT as the gaff. But, my eyes must have 'lit up' as I said, "Wow,(etc.)!!! That's beautiful J B!" We discussed the fine points. He wrote it up in his "BOBO SHOW BOOK"(pub. MAGIC INC.--late '70s) That fall,on the road with my school show, I tested it in almost 200 shows. It never missed! I developed an ultra simple routine as an opener with minimal lines. I used it for about five years regularly,in the show, and still do it often for close up, casuals and strolling. I'm retired. If there is any interest,I'll be happy to share it. My rule for presentations for anything I do,is >>>K I S M I F<<<--(Keep It Simple-Make It Fun)

OK, Someone above mentioned lit cigarette in spectator's jacket. I first saw old friend TERRY SANDMAN do this.(Possibly at the LITTLE ROCK IBM convention) He sold a very commercial routine about 25 years ago. I used it in casual work, until cigarettes went "out of fashion"--I'll still do it if opportunity arises. It's very strong.

I knew Mike Koslowski and learned his #100 bill switch when it came out, but learned to switch without a TT. Heqq! when the TT idea came along, I was too old to unlearn, and start using a tip. (I'm now 81) Either way, it's a powerful effect.

The most important thing is NOT to poke with your thumb! IT'S NOT NATURAL (except for Little Jack Horner)Maybe I'll try to write up what I mean.

Oh! if there is interest in the silk prod. and van. I'll explain how to vanish an '18" silk' w/ TT (common sense, if you've been around)

Now, here's a use that has not been discussed yet in this thread:::My old pal, the late ROY KISSELL told me of his involvement in a BLOODLESS SURGERY SCAM. It's a relatively long story, but interesting.

HERE IS (FOR ME) the #1 strongest effect, for casual, impromptu work, and even to CLOSE a short PARLOR show. It's titled SON OF MORNING.
JAY MARSHALL and I had flown from Chicago to North Carolina for an SEAM convention in 1977. We shared a room. During a break in the convention "festivities", Jay said, "Hey! here's a bit I just picked up." He picked up a packet of paper matches, lit one match and inserted it, blazing, into his closed fist. He fanned the fist with the match book, opened the fist and the match was gone. The effect was "slightly" spectacular! Again,knowing Jay's mannerisms, I recognized a TT. I said, "That jogs my memory. I think I saw the concept suggested in a "GENII" about 20-25 years ago. I THINK a guy named Jim or Joe LUCIER wrote it up." (I had sold my old GENIIs, so I've never checked that out) Jay didn't dispute it, but he could not remember where he had gotten it either! Later that summer at Abbotts GTG, Gene Anderson got "involved" with it, too. My memory is fuzzy on those details. But, it got into his lecture notes (THE PART TIME PRO) and he had SOME GREAT LINES for it. It was a little rhyme of about seven lines (normally I don't like poetic patter)but it "made" the bit into a neat closer as mentioned above. Gene said(if I remember correctly) that Fred Lowe (England) had used the name Son of Morning in his lecture in England. If this sounds like something that might play for you, I suggest contacting Gene Anderson and buying his notes with the rhyme. There, not only my thumb, but my fingers are tired, too.
Hi Dick and welcome to the Café, nice to have you here. :)

I enjoyed reading of your journey and views in magic. Haven't been around as long as you but hope to be. :D Sounds like you're still going strong. ;) I love these wonderful stories. :)

I have to agree as to the TT here, it's gotta be one of the most powerful closeup magic-makers ever invented. :) I also still carry it with me regularly and still do it for kids of all ages, works like Novocaine! :D It's just the perfect impromptu effect, to be done in an instant or stretched out in various routines. I typically do the Vanishing Hanky with it but have also done the bill switch with it. I prefer, like you, to do the bill switch without it, just as slick IMHO. :)

I was actually doing the Vanishing Hanky w/TT around the office a bit last week, and then just recently again at a family Xmas dinner. :D People are absolutely blown away by it after all this time, and it remains a great deception that is pretty much undetectable even right under their noses. :D It still amazes me as much as them. :D

My first recollection of watching how remarkable it was was while watching the great, Chris Capehart use it out on the tough streets of NYC - rough crowds on the streets, in the subways, on corners, etc., Chris was to be found everywhere in them days. :) Man, with just that little thing he got a lot of mileage. :) Even though I knew what he was doing, many times it kept flying right over my head, that's how good he was doing it. :D Amazing!

There's other great stuff out there for sure but the TT would probably be gold level IMHO. It's also easy to teach someone how to use it but takes a while and good effort to do it well and casually. Once you get that part down, then you've got yourself a piece of magic that will mystify forever. Heck, I'm still doing it and or keep coming back to it when I need a real rocket in my pocket. :) As a matter of fact, if I could do one trick for President Obama and his family, in those fleeting moments I think I would do the Vanishing Hanky, even though I am mostly a coin guy...Think that would instantly play well and deliver quite a memorable punch for him, his wonderful and lovely kids. I guess it's the perfect trick for anyone, anytime, anywhere. :)

Anyway, thanks for joining the fray here...Again, welcome. :) Hey, would you have also hung out with my buddy and great Magic creator, Magician, Steve Dusheck? He's another one that has been all over the place in magic with some tremendous accomplishments and recollections of his own as to the art and its people.

-Mb
I totally agree with you mb.
of all the effects I own and do.
the tt is the most powerful magic
I know of.it absolutly kills the audence.
but as you said anyone can learn this in a short
period of time.but it takes a very long time to
perfect this effect.and I'm still working on this.
there also are so many ways this can be used.
dick I also welcome you to the Café.knowledge is
everything and I know you will bring a lot of it here.
todd
Can any one recommend a good DVD with TT presentations. I have Darwin's DVD's but I'm looking for DVD's with presentations and not explanation of effects. I'm still looking for a good routine to watch with just a 6" silk.
You might check YouTube if you're just looking for presentations, there are few that are nice. Here's one with a nice idea to it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnj6VA4TmZg

And I've always liked the way this guy handles a TT, very smooth presentations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umAWh4VFFmY
[quote]
On 2012-12-27 01:41, theamazingsauce wrote:
Can any one recommend a good DVD with TT presentations. I have Darwin's DVD's but I'm looking for DVD's with presentations and not explanation of effects. I'm still looking for a good routine to watch with just a 6" silk.
[/quote]

The Pat Page DVD (via L&L Publishing) about TT's is pure dynamite - and cheap as chips.

Contents:
- Introduction
- Getting a Thumb Tip
- Vanishing silk
- Steals
- Transfers
- Thumb Tip 'Don'ts'
- A match vanish
- Paper bag vanish
- Salt trick
- Diminishing handkerchief
- Cigarette vanish
- Disposal of the Thumb Tip
- Cigarette vanish in silk
- Ditching tip in breast pocket & jacket pockets
- Big coin, little coin
- Variation with sponge balls
- Vanishing coins
- Silk purse
- Bill & silk
- Thumb Tip effects with a purse frame
- Torn & restored bill
- Further silk vanish & production
- Coin vanish afterthoughts
- Burnt & restored napkin
- Further chat about thumb tips (including a very convincing TT steal not using the thumb)

UNRESERVEDLY RECOMMENDED! ;)
[quote]
On 2012-12-25 00:40, Dick Oslund wrote:
Here comes the old geezer again!
I bought my first (metal) TT in 1946 from Percy Abbott (he paid the postage!!!)for 25 cents. (Percy apparently needed to raise some money, so he was running a sale on a few things! In those days the big thing was vanishing a STUB of a lit cig. in a borrowed handkerchief. The metal TT was about an inch long (deep)--a stub was about all it could hold. I used it a lot.

Then "Mr. Vernet" came along! In 1975,at the SAM conv. in Chicago, I was jackpotting with old friend J B BOBO. He said, "Dick have you seen this?" He produced and vanished a 12" silk. (bare hands) From the basic handling, I recognized a TT as the gaff. But, my eyes must have 'lit up' as I said, "Wow,(etc.)!!! That's beautiful J B!" We discussed the fine points. He wrote it up in his "BOBO SHOW BOOK"(pub. MAGIC INC.--late '70s) That fall,on the road with my school show, I tested it in almost 200 shows. It never missed! I developed an ultra simple routine as an opener with minimal lines. I used it for about five years regularly,in the show, and still do it often for close up, casuals and strolling. I'm retired. If there is any interest,I'll be happy to share it. My rule for presentations for anything I do,is >>>K I S M I F<<<--(Keep It Simple-Make It Fun)

OK, Someone above mentioned lit cigarette in spectator's jacket. I first saw old friend TERRY SANDMAN do this.(Possibly at the LITTLE ROCK IBM convention) He sold a very commercial routine about 25 years ago. I used it in casual work, until cigarettes went "out of fashion"--I'll still do it if opportunity arises. It's very strong.

I knew Mike Koslowski and learned his #100 bill switch when it came out, but learned to switch without a TT. Heqq! when the TT idea came along, I was too old to unlearn, and start using a tip. (I'm now 81) Either way, it's a powerful effect.

The most important thing is NOT to poke with your thumb! IT'S NOT NATURAL (except for Little Jack Horner)Maybe I'll try to write up what I mean.

Oh! if there is interest in the silk prod. and van. I'll explain how to vanish an '18" silk' w/ TT (common sense, if you've been around)

Now, here's a use that has not been discussed yet in this thread:::My old pal, the late ROY KISSELL told me of his involvement in a BLOODLESS SURGERY SCAM. It's a relatively long story, but interesting.

HERE IS (FOR ME) the #1 strongest effect, for casual, impromptu work, and even to CLOSE a short PARLOR show. It's titled SON OF MORNING.
JAY MARSHALL and I had flown from Chicago to North Carolina for an SEAM convention in 1977. We shared a room. During a break in the convention "festivities", Jay said, "Hey! here's a bit I just picked up." He picked up a packet of paper matches, lit one match and inserted it, blazing, into his closed fist. He fanned the fist with the match book, opened the fist and the match was gone. The effect was "slightly" spectacular! Again,knowing Jay's mannerisms, I recognized a TT. I said, "That jogs my memory. I think I saw the concept suggested in a "GENII" about 20-25 years ago. I THINK a guy named Jim or Joe LUCIER wrote it up." (I had sold my old GENIIs, so I've never checked that out) Jay didn't dispute it, but he could not remember where he had gotten it either! Later that summer at Abbotts GTG, Gene Anderson got "involved" with it, too. My memory is fuzzy on those details. But, it got into his lecture notes (THE PART TIME PRO) and he had SOME GREAT LINES for it. It was a little rhyme of about seven lines (normally I don't like poetic patter)but it "made" the bit into a neat closer as mentioned above. Gene said(if I remember correctly) that Fred Lowe (England) had used the name Son of Morning in his lecture in England. If this sounds like something that might play for you, I suggest contacting Gene Anderson and buying his notes with the rhyme. There, not only my thumb, but my fingers are tired, too.

[/quote]

YO! --as the dyslexic Rabbi said!!! I wrote the above last week, and the next AM I realized that in the THIRD PARAGRAPH, I mentioned Terry SANDMAN! ---I meant to say TERRY SEABROOKE! Terry first showed a bunch of us his LIT CIGARETTE IN A SPECTATOR'S JACKET in the mid '70s. I used it until working with cigarettes became "UNpopular".

I tried getting back HERE to correct my error---and I COULD NOT FIND MY COMMENTS. My 81 year old eyes totally missed the "page 1 2 3 NEXT"! I thought my comments had been deleted, or had fallen into a Sanada gaff! So, (as Paul Harvey used to say)now you know the "rest of the story"!

Some day, perhaps, I'll tell the story of Terry Seabrooke and the Little Rock AR convention.
Hi Todd (with two "Ds") and Marion!
Thank you for the kind words. Here "ist gemuetlichkeit, ja! I think that I shall enjoy many of the conversations.

I just checked out your one hand coin change. WOW! WWWONDERFUL! My mind flicked back to Magic Inc. in the mid '70s. I was behind the counter on a Saturday afternoon, when a young man tossed a half dollar from his right hand into his left hand, BUT, when it landed, it was an English Penny! I blinked! Well, it had to be the GOSHMAN FLIP, but I had never seen it done so beautifully. I went to the back room and got Jay out to see it. We agreed. the young man "must be in league with the devil!" Yes! "MAGIC" only happens in the mind of the audience!

It has been years. I can't recall where I met Steve Dusheck. He did some great stuff. Unfortunately, I was on the road most of the time, so there wasn't always opportunity to really follow up and get acquainted.

Todd>>I hope that the bit with the TT works out for you. Be careful not to RUSH with it. It has served me well for 35 years.
I love all the mentions of putting out a cigarette in a spectator's clothing. it was that very thing, using one of the aforementioned tiny metal TTs, that landed me my first ever restaurant gig. I believe that was 1975.

this thread has also given me a treasure trove of ideas. thanks all!
[quote]
On 2013-01-03 00:00, howlinhobbit wrote:
I love all the mentions of putting out a cigarette in a spectator's clothing. it was that very thing, using one of the aforementioned tiny metal TTs, that landed me my first ever restaurant gig. I believe that was 1975.

this thread has also given me a treasure trove of ideas. thanks all!
[/quote]

It was a regular routine in Terry Seabrooke's cabaret routine - cigarette in spectators jacket. He had some lovely gags using that trick.

Just a couple of ideas - that people probably already know, but maybe worth mentioning for those that don't.

1. When putting a cigarette or match into a TT, it will last a lot longer (if it's a Vernet or plastic tip) by having some silver foil paper pushed inside In advance. I've always used the silver paper simply torn from a cig packet - silver side showing, of course, but you can also use aluminium cooking foil. This way, the tip of the tip won't get burnt/mis-coloured over time, as the silver paper absorbs the heat.

2. Another of Terry Seabrooke's tips was to put a little magicians rope inside - just a few individual strands, cut into small pieces. Especially from a distance (e.g. Cabaret floor), this creates a little more smoke thus adding to the effect that the jacket's actually burning. DON'T be tempted to use flash paper, etc. - too bright a spark/flame with give the game away that you are using a gimmick of some kind. Keep it real - cloth just wouldn't burn that way.

Hope these ideas are useful to some of you out there.
Some thoughts.
When vanishing a cig, don't reproduce it.
You will hear about that for daz.
Payne - The idea with a big silk and little silk penetration is awsome.
I mean to say, that is really awsome.
Jaz - You're sick.

Try this.
Get a 18 silk.
Push a TT into the well in the fist.
Push in a small sponge ball.
Curl your fingers to avoid the TT Spider Fingers. Dick Oslund can tell you more about this.
Then pull out and grab a corner of the silk.
It hides the TT.
Slowly pull the silk out of the fist to show silk MT.
Hang silk over thumb and spread both hands and fingers wide.
It kills. (like many things here)

Did this at a lecture at a convention once. The next day I dropped by Goshman's booth to say hi. While there someone said thanks for showing the sponge thing. Goshman then said, "Oh you're the guy that did the sponge silk thing. All day long I've been pestered by people wanting a TT, sponge ball and silk."