(Close Window)
Topic: ParaPad from Paralabs
It's happened to you. You are all set for your sneeky peeky and you glance and what do you find...

Nichts, nada, nothing.

GGGRR.

I really hate this feeling (and I am sure you do too). In fact, for a variety of reasons like lighting or poor impression, I have placed considerable time misdirection between the writing and peeking the impression. This is so I can bail out gracefully if the image isn't there. I would rather do this than have them re-write the info on some other paper... I just like to know when to say when. If pressed, I just guess a la Banachek.

One day, I was publically posting about my dismay regarding impressions. Later, I received a PM from Thomas of ParaLabs, stating he thought he had an answer. I was familiar with Thomas, but not acquainted. I was tired of spending cash for the perfect device and he had traveled the road a few steps in front of me. I have purchased nearly everything on the market and liked many (for some reasons) and disliked many (for others). In short, I couldn't find the "perfect" close-up device.

Enter ParaPad.

Because we were familiar with one another, Thomas offered to send the ParaPad and mentioned that since he initiated the offer, he would only ask for payment once it had been sent and I agreed that I liked it. My only risk would be the returned shipping (and hardly a risk, at that).

Upon arrival, I opened the box and withing five minutes of "toying with it", I sent Thomas and Rainer a message asking where to send the paypal cash. It is that good. Within a day, I was asking for a standard US 3 x 5 size (and a nifty black design) that is the offered 3 x 5 model. In short, I convinced them to do this size as well. I was so pleased with the wonderful "German Engineering", that I wanted both sizes. Here are some reasons why I am so pleased:

1. Unfailing Image Capture:
No fear of not having the image. I love not having to worry whether it is there or not. I have come across some people who just won't bear down (regardless of what subtle or bold isn'truction you give).

2. Quality of Image:
This fanatastic device has outstanding impression quality for two reasons. A. The Gimmick is made from the highest quality available, B. The Sharpie marker has been truly designed to offer the best impression, with less image expansion. They tested this to provide the best working marker. Excellent.

3. Oustanding Design:
I mean more than aesthetics here. In short, the peek used is based on peeks that have been around, but the way that the ParaPad has been constructed has made this peek possible, while closing the pad, without ever a fumble or stumble. People with Mits on could still make this work. The pad is very durable and is substantial enough to last, without being cumbersome.

In short, I cannot imagine someone not being pleased with their investment. In my opinion it is the finest close-up pad on the market. I will continue to use my Brown Hornet for pre-show and really like the IMB for stage, but the ParaPad has become the close-up device of preference for me. Maybe it will be for you, as well.

You can find it here:

http://www.paralabs.org/basket/index.php?languageid=2
Needs a password with your link..
Which you should know
:D

but shhhhhhhhhh this is to good
Le viking, yup - that's the point.

Re this pad. I've bought a lot of pads lately. I have everything by Riggs, the nomad, the FIP, butterfly, mindspy pad etc.

I'm just not sure why I would need another and am not sure how it could be possibly any better that what I already have.

That being said, if I got the same deal as Sean, I'd jump on it. Always willing to try new things.
Ok, got it ;)
Ok, I must be dumb, I don't know the surname lol can someone PM me with it? :)
[quote]
On 2010-08-15 12:10, lunatik wrote:
[/quote]

no! why the hell do you think that's ok to ask for? and if it was a joke - you need to signpost it better!
You need to take a chill pill...don't make me post up the surname here on the board.
[quote]
On 2010-08-15 12:44, lunatik wrote:
You need to take a chill pill...don't make me post up the surname here on the board.
[/quote]

well, that would be your own responsibility - I wouldnt be "making" you do anything...

anyway - I have one of these pads, and think its cracking, love the quality of the marker, and the thinking behind the pad and "inner workings" itself is great...
[quote]
[/quote]

bundy

j
Looks like a lot of stuff compared to a simple riggs pad. not to mention a lot of semi expensive stuff as well as replacement items.

to each his own I suppose.

j
Not riggs like at all...completely different methods and handling!
[quote]
On 2010-08-15 13:38, johncesta wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

bundy

j

[/quote]

Oh, I get it now...AL BUNDY!!
Message: Posted by: ParaLabs - Thomas (Aug 15, 2010 02:39PM)
Hi,

thanks a lot, Sean, for your appreciation!
We're happy that our device works for you. :)

And thanks for your appreciation as well, Iain!

@VIEW
You know, the reason for us to build a pad on our own was not that there are too few on the market.
The reason was that non of them matched our personal necessities in all of those aspects that are important to us.

And when we build up this pad a few years ago we don't thought about building them for sale - we build them for our own performances in practice.
But over the last years a crop of colleagues requested to build one up for their personal use.
Nonetheless our pad is not a sales item primarily - it's the pad we build for our own necessities.
Now, when our requirements match the necessities of other performers too - fine!
If not ... well, it's the pad we use anyway. ;)

@John
We add to the pad what we think is of benefit for practice.
We use special paper for example.
The resason for this is that any ink pen (like the Sharpie for example) tend to soak or imbue through a normal sheet of paper.
This causes in the best case that you can spot markings on the flip side of the used sheet;
in the worst case you can see spots of ink on the following page(s) as well.

Now we implemented special coated sheets of paper in our ParaPad so that there are no soakings/imbuings through the sheets and no ink spots on the flip sides!
You can see the writing/drawing through the sheet in frontlighting of course (it's a simple sheet of paper anyway) ...
... but there are no ink spots on the flip sides.

But when we use special paper, it is obvious that an appropriate amount of refill sheets are of benefit for the use of the pad in practice!
So we added this as a standard supplement to the set.

If there are any questions, feel free to ask.
We will try to answer as good as our limited language skills allow us to do.

By the way:
The ParaPad will be also available via http://www.headhacking.com/ by Anthony Jacquin and Kev Sheldrake.

Cheers
Th.
Is this similar at all to Robert Smith's Psypher (Universial Impression)?
Message: Posted by: ParaLabs - Thomas (Aug 16, 2010 11:09AM)
@sabitu

For I had to answer again several similar PM-inquiries since yesterday I will try to clarify some aspects/advantages without drawing a comparison to a concrete competitor.

[list][*][b][i]The copy technique[/i][/b]
Regarding the material we use to get the copy in our pad, there are two different alternatives on the market.
There is a cheaper one where the scattering of copies is wider by far than on the more expensive one.
As far as we know our pad is the only one using the expensive material.[/list]
[list][*][b][i]The prepared area[/i][/b]
We neither limit ourselves by using cheaper material nor we economize by preparing just more or less small parts of the sheet.
For this we don't have to force special areas of the sheet to write or draw.
We gimmicked nearly every inch of the pad so your participant is free to write or draw wherever she feels comfortable with.[/list]
[list][*][b][i]The prepared Sharpie[/i][/b]
Apart from the quality of the material we prepare the pads with, the diffusion/scattering of the copied image depends on the pen of course.
It’s determined by the quality of the build in gimmick and its exact position (its distance to the tip/the sheet) in the process of writing.
I guess we have pretty good Sharpies, … ;)[/list]
[list][*][b][i]The Binding[/i][/b]
You can refill sheets of paper in almost any of the pads on the market.
But for us it was a fiddling-fidgeting most of the time to do it for real.
You can open our complete binding system in 2 seconds;
you can refill paper in another two seconds ...
... – and close the binding in 1.
So we have a 5 second refill.

Apart from this the common spiral binding (EVERY spiral binding) causes a side shift of every sheet or cover that is turned over.
This is caused by the nature of spirals – and you cannot avoid it.
Our binding system is different.
Turning over sheets or a cover means that they will be placed exactly on top of the other sheets on the backside of the pad.
The advantage of this may be obvious.[/list]
[list][*][b][i]The "Gimmick Hiding Technique"[/i][/b]
The secret is hidden in almost any pad on the market - of course.
Some common techniques to hide it use sticky preparations.
Sticky preparations cause a smacking/squishing noise opening it.
This may be covered, or not being any problem at all in appropriate situations – but we didn’t feel comfortable with this.
So we use a ... different technology caused by special coated surfaces to hide the secret.
The "sticking forces" are weaker than using any kind of glue;
but they are strong enough to do their job anyway:
To hide the secret during the required moments ...
... but to show us the secret easily during the peek.[/list]
[list][*][b][i]The Cutting[/i][/b]
The moment we close our pad is the moment we get the peek.
We just have to assure to close it the right way.
We don’t limited ourselves in preparing a pad with the secret material ...
... but in addition we used different lengths of sheets and covers to achieve an optimal handling in opening the right gaps at the right time.[/list]
[list][*][b][i]The Paper[/i][/b]
Well - I wrote some sentences concerning our special paper in my last post.[/list]

Hope those remarks help.
If there are any further questions, feel free ...

Cheers
Th.
Message: Posted by: MentalistCreationLab (Aug 16, 2010 11:59AM)
I own a Para Pad myself and I could not agree more with what has already been said.

This is among one of the most handy and useful items I currently use in my show. The quality is top notch and could not ask for more. The Para Pad IMO is state of the art as this wonderful item works flawlessly each and every time. The best thing it can be used for pre-show or during a live show. What more could I want in a pad? the answer to this is nothing its perfect.

Bill Montana
Mentalist Creation Laboratories.
The Parapad ist excellent quality! It is my Nr 1 choice!
Ok :)
Just ordered mine :) I hope the impression is even nearly as good as with my Riggs Devices.. Is small writing a problem with this?

Easy paper replacement and the different binding systems were the biggest selling points for me: I hate refilling my Butterfly :D If the impression is as clear as with the Butterfly, this must be a winner!

-Aleksi Hietanen
Want one!
Any plans for a distributor in North America?
Would help greatly the shipping cost.

e
Recommendations from my side as well - for the ParaPad and the overall service by the creator's team!

Perfect sized pad fits any pocket and situation, durable design, extremely logical handling that is clean and nonchalant at the same time.

Relies on true and tested technology but shows its improvements through the overall design and thoughts that went into it.

Grab one until stock lasts!
You can never go wrong with the Paralabs stuff.
Everything that comes from those guys can be bought without any doubts or fears.
Quality and not quantity is their goal which they try to achive..... and they have never failed.
Glad to see so many of you loving the ParaPad.

My company HeadHacking are the UK reseller for these pads and just took hold of our first small stock. We ship worldwide.

If you want one then get in touch with me direct.

Best regards,

Anthony
I second all of the above statements. This pad is VERY GOOD indeed!

Stefan
Message: Posted by: Lord Of The Horses (Aug 18, 2010 06:45PM)
[quote]
On 2010-08-16 12:09, ParaLabs - Thomas wrote:
@sabitu

For I had to answer again several similar PM-inquiries since yesterday I will try to clarify some aspects/advantages without drawing a comparison to a concrete competitor.

[list][*][b][i]The copy technique[/i][/b]
Regarding the material we use to get the copy in our pad, there are two different alternatives on the market.
There is a cheaper one where the scattering of copies is wider by far than on the more expensive one.
As far as we know our pad is the only one using the expensive material.[/list]
[/quote]

I also never found the same quality in green or gray material.

The one you use is so sensitive that can pick up even small letters with ease... :)
Do you have to use the Sharpie they manufacture with it?
Message: Posted by: ParaLabs - Thomas (Aug 19, 2010 01:02PM)
No!

But the gimmicks we build into the markers are ... FINER than others, ...
So it's not the Sharpie, it's the gimmick.

That said we have to mention that Sharpies aren't the best choice of all possible markers at all for several reasons.
We use them just because we were requested to do so - for Sharpies are the most common makers for many colleagues.
But in fact our preparation and the gimmick work even better in markers of some other brands.

I guess we will offer an alternative shortly.

Cheers
Th.
Ok, great thanks. one more question...

can I customize the cover of the pad, i.e. replace it with a brand well known in my country...or is the gimmick built into it?
Message: Posted by: ParaLabs - Thomas (Aug 19, 2010 01:13PM)
[quote]
On 2010-08-19 14:06, oralroberts wrote:
Ok, great thanks. one more question...

can I customize the cover of the pad, i.e. replace it with a brand well known in my country...or is the gimmick built into it?
[/quote]
You [i]could[/i] customize ...
... but you don't have to!
Believe me! ;)

If you find a different cover that matches the pad's size,
and if you can reproduce the punch hole perforation in your new cover ...
... in this case you can customize.

But you don't need to bother! :)
It not necessary in practice.

Cheers
Th.
[quote]
On 2010-08-19 14:02, ParaLabs - Thomas wrote:
No!

But the gimmicks we build into the markers are ... FINER than others, ...
So it's not the Sharpie, it's the gimmick.

That said we have to mention that Sharpies aren't the best choice of all possible markers at all for several reasons.
We use them just because we were requested to do so - for Sharpies are the most common makers for many colleagues.
But in fact our preparation and the gimmick work even better in markers of some other brands.

I guess we will offer an alternative shortly.

Cheers
Th.
[/quote]

Actually nobody recognizes Sharpies in Finland since most people have never used one here. So as soon as you have an alternative that works even better than the Sharpie you are selling at the moment, please inform me and I'll be the first one to order :)

Ps. Don't get me wrong: Sharpies are just as innocent looking as any other markers here, so I have no issues working with them. However, if you have something that works even better... Count me in!

-Aleksi Hietanen
Message: Posted by: ParaLabs - Thomas (Aug 19, 2010 02:39PM)
We'll do so, Aleksi! :)

Cheers
Th.
Message: Posted by: Lord Of The Horses (Aug 19, 2010 03:55PM)
[quote]
On 2010-08-19 15:09, AlluTallu wrote:

Actually nobody recognizes Sharpies in Finland since most people have never used one here. So as soon as you have an alternative that works even better than the Sharpie you are selling at the moment, please inform me and I'll be the first one to order :)
[/quote]

My copy arrived with a marker OTHER than Sharpie brand.

And I could not have been happier than that for this fact.
Wow, I'm complitely stunned by the customer service I got from ParaLabs. They have already contacted me via email and PMs and promised to send me a different brand marker - and that brand is one that is instantly recognized by most local people in my country :)

Couldn't be happier with the way these guys treat their customers!

-Aleksi Hietanen
Message: Posted by: Lord Of The Horses (Aug 20, 2010 10:00AM)
[quote]
On 2010-08-20 03:39, AlluTallu wrote:
Wow, I'm complitely stunned by the customer service I got from ParaLabs. They have already contacted me via email and PMs and promised to send me a different brand marker - and that brand is one that is instantly recognized by most local people in my country :)

Couldn't be happier with the way these guys treat their customers!

-Aleksi Hietanen
[/quote]

Aleksi,

That has also been my experience with them so far.

Those guys bend over backwards to accommodate customers needs. :)
Message: Posted by: ParaLabs - Thomas (Aug 20, 2010 11:30AM)
Thank you guys! :)

You know, my granny - who recently passed away in the age of 100 - taught me to treat others the way I want to be treated myself.
This premise should be applied to any kind of business as well from our point of view. ;)

Cheers
Th.
Hi Thomas,

Can you kindly PM me with a quote for delivery of the small black-covered pad to Australia by AIRMAIL. The country option at your website does not factor us in!

Thanks, mate.

Ben Harris
Message: Posted by: ParaLabs - Thomas (Aug 21, 2010 01:17AM)
Oops, - sorry Ben!
We'll fix this today, ...

Cheers
Th.
Thanks, Thomas.

Look forward to receiving this.

Benny
Great customer service from these guys. dito.
Paralabs offers two different types of markers: a "European" marker and a Sharpie. It is my understanding from Mr. Heine that the regular, non-Sharpie is better for several reasons. If that is the case, does it matter if one performs this in the States (USA) with the non-Sharpie or is it better to use the Sharpie version in teh States since everyone is familiar with the Sharpie brand even though it may not be as good as the other marker?

Michael
Message: Posted by: ParaLabs - Thomas (Aug 22, 2010 11:49PM)
Michael,

I know the problem from the opposed perspective:
We used our test Sharpies for a long time in Germany although nobody knows this brand here.
You know what? Nobody cares if [i]you[/i] don't care in practice!

It is of benefit to use common and familar material as a matter of course.
But as long as the alternative looks natural, unsuspicious and you use it this way, nobody cares.
It's a marker after all and it looks like this.

Now I don't know whether spectators or participants in the States are different to handle - but for me the use of an unfamiliar brand was never an issue.

Best
Th.
Mr. Heine,

Thank you very much for your comments and opinion. You were very helpful. I will be placing my order later today.

Michael
Since a few days now I own the ParaPad (the smaller edition which I prefer) and I've to say that it is indeed by far the best product (using this technique) I ever had in my hands. I do know and have and tried a lot, if not all on the market.
This is for several reasons: The used materials are the best you can get, it is extremely easy to replace paper, the very clever design of the pad allows a very natural handling. The impression you get is very clear, there is no risk that
the spectator will discover anything (provided a correct handling of course).
Therefore I've to give it my highest recommendation. Jan
How does this stack up against psypher?
The general comments are that it is much better :)
Message: Posted by: ParaLabs - Thomas (Aug 26, 2010 11:22PM)
Dear baggins321,

I hope that you appreciate that we don't feel comfortable in drawing comparsions to the products of competitors in public.
But if you read the product descriptions of both as well as some technical comments you will notice a few differences anyway.
Whether those differences mean, that the one or the other product would suit you more, is up to your own preferences.

Best
Th.
Thomas,
what is the brand of the european marker?

Olivier
Message: Posted by: ParaLabs - Thomas (Aug 28, 2010 03:56AM)
Hi Oliver,

there are two brands that work best from our experience.

One is also available in the States - STAPLES!
The other one is STABILO.

Best
Th.
I also received my ParaPad about a week ago This is hands down the best close up Impression Device that I have ever used! And I have used many (Butterfly, Skeeter, Tommy Pad, Sniper Pad... And the list goes on)!

The impression is very clear and easy to read. No mirror images, very reliable and the "hot" area covers the whole pad so no need for guiding where to write! Only Riggs' devices can beat ParaPad considering impressions.
9/10

The peek is perfect and requires you to make only 100% justified actions: You just very naturally close the pad and that's it. ParaPad has by far the easiest and most deceptive peek I have ever seen in an ID.
10/10

The special binding was one of the biggest selling points for me. Refilling the pad takes no more than five seconds The binding also makes the pad more durable and easier to handle. No other Impression Pad comes even close as far as binding is concerned.
10/10

ParaPad is beautiful. It's elegant. And it looks completely innocent. The size is also perfect - at least for me .
10/10

The only "weakness" of the ParaPad I can think of is the way the gimmick is hidden and secured. I don't consider the pad very examinable and I would prefer magnetic securing (Like Riggs' Butterfly) over the ParaPad solution. However, with decent audience management nobody is going to have a chance to find the secret so this is not a very big issue .
7/10

ParaLabs' customer service is top notch. And yes, I have done business with Craig from ProMystic so I can assure you that my standards are very high
10/10

ParaPad gets my highest recommendations!
9.5/10

With best regards,

Aleksi Hietanen
[quote]
On 2010-08-28 06:47, AlluTallu wrote:
... The only "weakness" of the ParaPad I can think of is the way the gimmick is hidden and secured. I don't consider the pad very examinable ...
Aleksi Hietanen
[/quote]

Why you want to have the Pad examined? I see no reason for it. A Pad is a pad and that's it.
Greetings from
Vincent van Dark
So true, and so nice to see more and more knowledgeable friends joining the café... :) Jan
Hi, :)

as I wrote in another thread, it's a fundamental decision to either set priorities on ...

a) not being able to find the gimmick during an examination by the audience
or
b) being able to get a peek of the gimmick in real time as easy and natural as possible, with all artlessness and unsuspiciousness of the peek situation that we can achieve.

The "Ultimate Truth" is somewhere in the middle fo a) and b) obviously - but it's a matter of setting personal priorities anyway.
Of cause one can set the priorities in a different way.
But as I said: Our pad was the result of [i]our[/i] experiences and [i]our[/i] necessities.

So it was not our way to abandon the naturality and plainness of the handling to achieve a 'security' that is not needed in [i]our[/i] real life performances!
And giving the pad to an examination isn't part of our practice anyway!

Cheers
Th.
Givin' props away for an examination is a typical magicians thing.
Mentalists are no magicians.

@AlluTallu: Would you give a booktest-book for examination? "Here's an ordinary book ..." I guess not, or will you? ;)

Greetings from
Vincent van Dark
Is posting a link to the "secret area" suppose to be funny?
Message: Posted by: ParaLabs - Thomas (Sep 30, 2010 12:17AM)
Sorry, jgturpin, I cannot follow your remark.
This is obviously because of my limits in the English language. ;)

So anyway - send me a PM with your concerns and we'll find a way to help you for sure.

Best
Th.
I have found this to be the Rolls Royce of imp pads.
I was initially struck by the excellent service of this company. It took very little time and usage to realize that their product is as good as their service.
I think that I have tried every device out there. I know that I have tried most. I have stage favorites, parlor favorites and close-up favorites.
While, for personal reasons, I would never use this on stage, it is perfect for close-up. That is not to say that others would not have a use for it on stage.
Riggs seems to me to be the end all, do all for close up. But the ParaPad fits a niche for me that makes for a totally perfect, invisible knowledge of the written info.
My personal situation (near blindness and amputated right hand) makes for situations that are more "demanding" than some other people.
The way that the ParaPad is implemented is a joy to behold.
In some ways, it is to me, reminiscent of The Beautiful Butterfly. I do think that the Butterfly is more examinable, but I have never wanted or needed to have someone "examine" my imp devises. I would humbly argue that anyone having a need to have their mentalism equipment examined might be looking for trouble.
I use peek wallets. There is no way you are going to get to examine my wallet. I use stage imp devises. No way you are going to examine them, either.
I guess the best way I can recommend the ParaPad is to just say BUY IT. You will not be disappointed. But in the extreme circumstance that you are, you will be able to sell it for almost as much as you paid for it.
I see this device as being around for a good long while.
Peace,
Parson
I agree. Before now, I didn't use imps much as I figured most specs were on to them even if not knowing exactly how they worked. Parapad has made me a believer, however. It is so innocent looking and so effectively efficient that I was using it only minutes after receipt and continue to use it on a regular basis. Anyone in want or need of such a device should not hesitate to pony up the extra $$ and purchase the best.
Thanks for your appreciation guys! :)

Have fun
Th.
[quote]
Greetings from
Vincent van Dark
[/quote]

Vincent, welcome to the Café! Good to see you here. I second Jan's words: good to see more friends join the forum.

best regards

Stefan
I think this answers my question I asked on a different thread. Does Paralabs have a website?

David
[quote]
On 2010-11-04 19:49, david12345 wrote:
I think this answers my question I asked on a different thread. Does Paralabs have a website?

David
[/quote]Here it comes.You need a password but as a mentalist you will know it! = http://www.paralabs.org/basket/index.php?languageid=2

Good luck!
Curious. how is the operation during the routine? Is it opening the pad and writing in it then ripping out the page? A la like John Rigg's Butterfly? or is it ripping the paper out and putting it on the front of the pad?
Hi,

directs links may cause problems - even if you type in the corrects password.
Better use this one:

http://www.paralabs.org/basket

Best
Th.
Thanks
What about Liquidsn's question re operation?

David
Is there a translated version?
Re question: it is neither. flip the first page and front cover of pad so that spec writes on paper backed by back of front cover and entire pad. Spec rips off paper seeing black pad cover beneath. Then, it's just a matter of closing the pad.
Is there a demo for this , or a clearer description of whole routine as sounds great but would like to know how it differs from everything else out there before I purchase. Has it English written instructions or instructional Dvd regards Gary
There are english instructions. They are incredibly simple. If you can open and close a pad you can do it. It's all presentation and designing effects after that. The reason it costs more than other impression devices is because the quality and ingenuity is better than other impression devices. Like everything else, you get what you pay for. There is another thread on Penny, page 5 that should coveer all questions.
[quote]
On 2010-11-07 22:19, aligator wrote:
There are english instructions. They are incredibly simple. If you can open and close a pad you can do it. It's all presentation and designing effects after that. The reason it costs more than other impression devices is because the quality and ingenuity is better than other impression devices. Like everything else, you get what you pay for. There is another thread on Penny, page 5 that should coveer all questions.
[/quote]Thank you aligator I will check out that thread regards Gary
Is the spectator holding the pad when they write and handing it back to you or are you "holding the pad" as they write. This may be a silly question, but is it natural for them not to close the pad after they write on it because you're telling them to rip the page and do other things, or do you need to do some audience-management to make sure that they don't close the pad. Finally, if the audience member does close the pad prematurely, is there an "out" for glimpsing a pre-closed pad? Thanks
This is a relatively expensine impression device but we are getting a quality device. This is a very good investment for the worker.
Message: Posted by: ParaLabs - Thomas (Nov 13, 2010 07:48AM)
[quote]
On 2010-11-12 16:04, Magic1 wrote:
Is the spectator holding the pad when they write and handing it back to you or are you "holding the pad" as they write. This may be a silly question, but is it natural for them not to close the pad after they write on it because you're telling them to rip the page and do other things, or do you need to do some audience-management to make sure that they don't close the pad. Finally, if the audience member does close the pad prematurely, is there an "out" for glimpsing a pre-closed pad? Thanks
[/quote]
Hi,

as for your questions - the procedure is the following:

You hand them the pad and ask them to write or draw;
you call back the pad (either by asking for or by gesturing);
you close the pad and put it away - done.

So first of all: THEY hold the pad; this is usual and this is what they do.

YOU close the pad and get the peek - this is the standard procedure.
This will be achieved by keeping them busy with several parallel required activities.
IF they close the pad, you have an out obviously:
Simply open it again to write or draw something on your own.

But in practice this never happened to me, ... ;)

Hope it helps.
Cheers
Th.
A couple of weeks ago, I had a few questions about this. I liked it, but wondered about certain situations in which I might find myself.
I have used it everyday since and have no plans to ever change.
This is a FANTASTIC devise for mentalists.
Also, the service from from Paralabs has been superb.
I posted a "doubt." It was not a problem, just a doubt. Within minutes, I received a response from Thomas who offered to immediately send other devices for me to experiment with.
I love this product.
I love this company.
I plan on staying with them for a long time.
Having said that, I ran across a competing product on the net. There was complete exposure of the devise.
I wrote the company and politely (well for me) asked that the particular ad be edited or removed. I have yet to have a reply.
Thanks to Paralabs and hats off to great work all the way around.
Parson
Any pic's available about this fantastic ID?
[quote]
On 2010-12-28 18:19, numizmata wrote:
Any pic's available about this fantastic ID?
[/quote]

You must go on the website with a password
I purchased the PARAPAD from Tannen's. The ink from the sharpie pen included in the set "bleed" through the paper. It also bled through using my own non-gimicked sharpie. Ditto with sanples from all the refill packs.Can anyone offer a solution or a reason for this to happen?
Message: Posted by: ParaLabs - Thomas (May 13, 2012 11:59PM)
Hi Stanley,

we - personally - don't use Sharpies for they have disadvantages on several levels. E.g. they are not that durable as other brands (they dry out sooner). For this reason we offer Stabilo pens with all sets that we send out.

Nonetheless Tannen's made the same experience as we did: Customers in the States prefer Sharpies no matter what. Even if we explain that they are of lesser quality and may cause issues, US customers like to get Sharpies anyway. So particular issues like a reduced durability compared to other brands can not be avoided.

But we never had the issue of the ink of Sharpies bleeding through the paper! The reason for this is that we use a special paper for the ParaPad and the refills that avoids exactly this: Ink bleeding through.

So can you send us a photo please so that we can take a look on how this looks in your case?

heine@paralabs.org
or
mees@paralabs.org

Thank you!
Best
Th.
I have sent you an attachment showing samples of the "bleed thru".stanleyfehder@att.net
Message: Posted by: ParaLabs - Thomas (May 14, 2012 11:31PM)
Thank you! :)

Th.
I have not reeceived a reply about the parapad "bleed through problem"!
Whats the difference between parapad and beatiful butterfly?
[quote]
On 2012-05-26 21:50, stanleyfehder wrote:
I have not reeceived a reply about the parapad "bleed through problem"!
[/quote]
You should, ... :)

[quote]
On 2012-06-04 16:22, juliusmagic wrote:
Whats the difference between parapad and beatiful butterfly?
[/quote]
Let's see:
[list][*] different dimensions
[*] different design
[*] different paper
[*] different binding
[*] different 'gimmick'
[*] different handling[/list]
Did I forget anything, ... ;)

John's Butterfly is a great device and I would never purport the ParaPad to be 'better'.
It's simply [i]different[/i] in many ways - that's why we created it.

Whether you prefer the one or the other is basically a matter of personal preferences from my point of view.

Cheers
Th.
I also recommend the ParaPad. Works brilliantly and easily. As others have said, the customer support is wonderful. I have had a couple questions before and after my order and the questions were always answered quickly, kindly, and with detail.
Thomas seems to have almost infinite patience, and frankly - I have no idea how he manages it...

the PL material, all of it - is top notch...
I have a brand new one for sale £35 includes shipping . Paypal to lawrencebuilding@btinternet.com
Parapad Sold!
For that price, I'm not surprised!

I have had Parapad for a year now and really love it, I think it's very clever. I spent ages when I first got it looking for the gimmick and it ended up that I was looking in the wrong pad!

Does anyone know of any good resources for uses for the impression pad? I'd like to read on some other ideas than my own

Scott
I've carried my ParaPad in my breast pocket for over a year and it still works great. The laminate on the covers was coming up a bit on the corners and a generous friend sent me a new pad even though the old one still works perfectly. The new pad has super thin covers without any laminate that might otherwise peel up over time, not to mention the improved function resulting from thinner covers. Also, the new marker makes a thinner line, transmitting a crisper detailed image. I don't know when these slight product changes took place as I bought my first pad early on. I'm pleased that my main go-to pad is better than ever.

Thomas and Ranier continue to impress with the products they offer our community. In this "hat-backwards street-kid" age of "design it quickly, make it cheaply, create a buzz, sell thousands", these gentlemen raise the standard with, "design it carefully, use the best materials, let the quality speak for itself, sell to discerning performers". It's been awhile since I heard anyone discuss how good this thing is, maybe because by now it's common knowledge. Hats off to the guys who produce with high standards. We need more of that.

Mike
I can't access the paralabs website.Can someone help me with a pm please.I am looking to buy something there.
Any help will be appreciated.Thanks
I received my parapad. Overal I agree with most comments that it is a nice pad and would recommend it. However I plan to make an adjustment to suite my personal preference. The pad has been made so that you are very easily able to access the info, the downside to this is that it is also very easy for the spectator (maybe even mistakingly) to see something they should not. IMO it should be more difficult for the spectator, yet still allowing access for the magician without fumbling. This could perhaps be done by reversing the sv****li principle. I will try it out.

N
We have now used our Parapad in 250 performances; audience sizes of 50 to 1200. The volunteers have never exposed the gimmick or caught our peek. We purchased the Stabilo marker not the Sharpie; the version which resets the pad. Funny thing … no one has ever said, “Hey, that’s NOT a Sharpie!” This product is easy to work with; organic and as an invisible prop should be. Refill is a cinch.
[quote]
On 2012-11-08 16:34, Nicholas young wrote:
This could perhaps be done by reversing the sv****li principle. I will try it out.[/quote]
It will. Others have done so before.
How do I buy this?
http://www.tannens.com is where I got mine. Scroll down just a bit and you'll see the ParaPads ad.
Thomas & Rainer have just released some new size parapads, A4,A5 & US letter size variants! They now cater for us all! I was lucky enough to test the A4 pad here in the UK and can say hand on heart it works flawlessly

I've been given some discount codes that save people €12 on their orders. Each code works once so it's a case of first come first served! The codes will only work with the new size pads...be quick!

http://www.paralabs.org/basket

9IH7BDYTUM
4N4JEPFVUJ
89V8ALBVLZ
PH5I6MGMA8
S5YILSS38G
MFDX8S5F5X
WA2T3K1485
XNKQRDMH6C
SQJH18KDG7
LNZ5O71HRE
I have mine brand new for sale normal note book size £40

PM me if interested
[quote]On Jun 4, 2012, ParaLabs - Thomas wrote:

John's Butterfly is a great device and I would never purport the ParaPad to be 'better'.
It's simply [i]different[/i] in many ways - that's why we created it.

Whether you prefer the one or the other is basically a matter of personal preferences from my point of view.

Cheers
Th. [/quote]

I love John Riggs, but IMO the Parapad is much better than the Butterfly (I have the small memo pad Butterfly),
but I would encourage anyone to purcase John Rigg's Butterfly Intensive video
which goes into great detail on how to use impression devices.

The reasons for my preference are these:

1. The Parapad requires no pressure. The spectator can have a dainty hand when writing,
whereas the Butterfly requires a heavy hand (the only remedy I can think of is
using a writing instrument which forces the spectator to press firmly, like a pencil,
rather than a smooth gel-ink pen).

2. Riggs says in the Butterfly Intensive video that many people have said that
his imp devices won't work with sharpies..."but they do!" In my experience,
a marker doesn't leave any imPRESSion on the Butterfly.
But a marker does leave its mark on the Parapad.

3. Because a marker is used, any spectator who might be familiar with carbon paper or
similar imp devices, or have read in detective stories about rubbing pencil shavings on the next sheet,
will rule this method out (I figure).

4. The imp is clearer and a bit crisper than the Butterfly. In my (limited) experience,
the Butterfly left a skippy, blurry, low-contrast imp...in the best case. The Parapad
leaves a reliable, crisp (but bold...spec still can't write small) imp.

5. I just now tested this, just as I finished typing reason 4.
You won't believe this! I just played around with this, and wrote "TEST"
in big letters through 21 pages (on top of the front and back cover).
That's 21 paper pages, + the 2 covers of the pad. The imp is not good enough
for performance use, but you CAN read it (barely) in good lighting.
Then I drew a smiley face through 10 pages, + front and back cover.
Thru 10 pages, the imp is as clear as the Butterfly's imp through 1 page
(which is not clear enough for performance, IMO).
Nuff said.

-

In fairness, I should include some reasons why the Butterfly is better than the Parapad:

1. You can borrow any writing instrument from the spectator (except a marker).
Borrow a pencil, pen, or crayon.

2. The Butterfly's appearance is more familiar and ordinary.
It's a Staples memo pad.

3. If you're outside at a Starbucks, where the tables are pure metal,
your Parapad marker will stick to the table (I tried using my Templar
at Starbucks...it was funny trying to lift my necklace off the table).

4. It's difficult for the spectator to fiddle with the Butterfly
and reveal the mechanism; whereas with the Parapad, it would be extremely
easy for the spec to just try to close that pad and in that motion,
open right to the mechanism.
I also prefer the parapad. As for #2 in the post above, I picked up a pack of 3 3x5 pads at a local job lot store for $2 that had plastic covers. It is very easy to replace the covers in a few seconds. The speed pen works even better through these thin plastic covers. I am site you could just as easily replace it with Staples covers, but have not tried that.
I just came across this thread after a reference to the parapad in a newer thread about "Take Note." Regarding the need for a password to get to the paralabs site, I don't want to jinx this thread but let me just say that if you can't come up with the password given the clue, there's a good chance that you're not into mentalism enough to want to purchase an item of this caliber.
I believe that's the reason for the password - to eliminate those who have neither the knowledge or the ability to find knowledge. This way they have a more serious customer base. Don't let the low post count fool you; I've lurked on here for years before deciding I should give something back. And the constant continuation oft his thread was part of the reason. Especially the number asking for a password.
Could someone help me out here - just on the verge of ordering this but just wanted to clarify something.

The version comes with a non sharpie.. stabilo or something.. is there an option to buy a sharpie gimmick somewhere? Or is the stabilo good enough? My only
concern is someone might point out the odd marker pen.. anyone had any issues with this? (I'm in the UK)..
Stabilo and staedler are far bigger brands in the uk, than Sharpie...they've been around for years and years...just go in wh smiths and rymans and you'll see...
[quote]On Sep 25, 2015, IAIN wrote:
Stabilo and staedler are far bigger brands in the uk, than Sharpie...they've been around for years and years...just go in wh smiths and rymans and you'll see... [/quote]

Awesome, thanks for the reply.
Just put through my order guys. Excited to add this into my routine.
EDIT: My order did not go through.. keeps giving me an empty cart each time I go to the checkout page. Have they stopped selling this or something?
Order is IN! Excited.
I think this is what you are looking for:
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/2151
Does anyone have any LIVE performances of this? Very hard to find..
[quote]On Sep 29, 2015, Taterini wrote:
I think this is what you are looking for:
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/2151 [/quote]

Will this work with the parapad also?
Yes... it's set up essentially the same as the ParaPad pen
Hi all,

After reading this thread I decided to order the parapad from head hacking. Has anyone had any issues with the suppliers from head hacking? A week later and theparapad hadn't arrived so I dropped them an email last night to ask what was going on, in a nice way, this morning they gave me a full refund without and explanation. Anyone else have any issues with them?
Thanks
Paul
Turns out Head Hacking were out of stock. However, I have a parapad and it has proved very useful so far. I had to make a slight adjustment myself to ensure it worked everytime but I am very happy with it. Worth buying.
Why not buy direct from Paralabs?

You should also check out my new SvenPads since we are talking pads -

Hope that helps.
Obviously the reflection in parap is very good. What I don't like is the random nature of it's looks. It just doesn't look ordinary. See my further post in IT
[quote]On Jan 13, 2016, saysold1 wrote:
Why not buy direct from Paralabs?

You should also check out my new SvenPads since we are talking pads -

Hope that helps. [/quote]

I bought it direct from paralabs in the end. I have used this pad for every show I have done and it absolutely kills. The pad is awesome, no heat on it what so ever. The handling is the best I have seen for this type of pad. So quick and easy to get the p**k. Love this pad so much. May need some refills soon. Is there a forum for the pad to share ideas for routines?
The Parapad is a workhorse. I have a friend who own one of the electronic devices and it failed on him twice. Parapad is the gold standard in low tech solutions for "you know what" and it is one hundred percent reliable every time. Nothing more to say.
[quote]On May 17, 2016, GeorgeKerzon wrote:
The Parapad is a workhorse. I have a friend who own one of the electronic devices and it failed on him twice. Parapad is the gold standard in low tech solutions for "you know what" and it is one hundred percent reliable every time. Nothing more to say. [/quote]

Indeed, I have magician friend who also fail using high-end electronic impression device as well. In the end I choose Parapad and it never fails.
Message: Posted by: Karan Singh Magic (Sep 20, 2016 12:55PM)
Could someone PM me the password for Paralabs? The one I think it is, I can't seem to get in.
[quote]On Sep 20, 2016, Karan Singh Magic wrote:
Could someone PM me the password for Paralabs? The one I think it is, I can't seem to get in. [/quote]

No.
[quote]On Sep 20, 2016, Karan Singh Magic wrote:
Could someone PM me the password for Paralabs? The one I think it is, I can't seem to get in. [/quote]

Check the spelling again :-) If you still didn't get it, go and search the classics :-)
If your browser is outdated it won't work either.
Just received my first Para Pad.... This thing is what I have been looking for! Everything about it is perfect! I have had every impression device you can imagine and this thing blows them out of the water. Really clear impression and a peek that is so natural no one is going to ever pick up on it. Having spent well over 2k on other devices, I have finally found the holy grail.... I was beginning to think it didn't exist.

I would like to add a ballpoint pen to it and I seem to remember someone mentioned making their own. If you have details on how to do this, could you PM me :-)

If you are reading this and on the fence about getting one, just do it. You won't regret it :-)
I really love how user friendly the parapad is.

even down to how I refill the pad.

This is especially great when working with a suit jacket and empty top pocket, as the peek is soooo clear and easy.

I have a handling that I'd love to share with anyone via PM.
I like self-working effects. Parapad is just too cool and is very much self-working. That means everything about the effect can goof up - me, the handling, a heckler, a tough customer, a little alcohol on some one's part at the party, interruption, unnatural event, you name it, and this effect will still work. And, it is pure class.

Easy to refill, well thought out from an engineering stand point, and as reliable as a stripper deck.

I have two. Large and small. One for stage and one for close up. If I could only pick one of my effects to perform, this would be it.

Dave The Wave
[quote]On Aug 3, 2017, Juno-How wrote:
Just received my first Para Pad.... This thing is what I have been looking for! Everything about it is perfect! I have had every impression device you can imagine and this thing blows them out of the water. Really clear impression and a peek that is so natural no one is going to ever pick up on it. Having spent well over 2k on other devices, I have finally found the holy grail.... I was beginning to think it didn't exist.

I would like to add a ballpoint pen to it and I seem to remember someone mentioned making their own. If you have details on how to do this, could you PM me :-)

If you are reading this and on the fence about getting one, just do it. You won't regret it :-) [/quote]

Not sure if you have seen this.

http://www.promystic.com/product/promystic-ballpoint-parapen/
I'm curious about refills. Once I've bought the pad (which comes with 50 sheets and one 50-sheet refill) is it possible just to buy more refills? Or do I have to buy a new set at $70 each time?
[quote]On Nov 15, 2017, malcolm wrote:
I'm curious about refills. Once I've bought the pad (which comes with 50 sheets and one 50-sheet refill) is it possible just to buy more refills? Or do I have to buy a new set at $70 each time? [/quote]

You can buy refill packs for just a few euros.
[quote]On Sep 25, 2015, drigerbest wrote:
Could someone help me out here - just on the verge of ordering this but just wanted to clarify something.

The version comes with a non sharpie.. stabilo or something.. is there an option to buy a sharpie gimmick somewhere? Or is the stabilo good enough? My only
concern is someone might point out the odd marker pen.. anyone had any issues with this? (I'm in the UK).. [/quote]

Theory11 sells a set with a Sharpie. The quality is nice and I suppose you’ll never have to replace the pen gimmick as it’s possible to just refill a sharpie (haven’t tried it yet with this sharpie, but I refill my ‘supersharpie’ with parts from other sharpies.

Is there a private FB group where people chat ideas for this. Even though the pad is great, I’ve only used it around 20 times in the 7 months I’ve had it. I’ve been doing a simple drawing peek and doup, but maybe there are better close up routines and ideas?
Has anyone else found that the sharpie pen they received, although it leaves a nice impression, does not seem to have any erasing capacity unlike what the video tutorial states? Perhaps the first generation of pens did not have erasing ends? I wonder if the problem is that I purchased from ebay, and they have the first generation stock? So if I purchase direct from Theory11 perhaps I will have better luck with the erasing end? It's just that shipping to NZ is so expensive, so the free shipping on ebay is very tempting.

I guess people just used small handheld "m's" to erase afterwards if the erasing end of the pen didn't work? I can use something else to erase, but it's a bit less convenient than having it inside the pen itself. Maybe there is somewhere I can buy just the pen itself, and make sure it comes with the erasing end? I love the quality of the pad itself, and the writing end of the sharpie is fine. I just wish I could erase what I've written.
[quote]On Aug 13, 2018, HowardH wrote:
Has anyone else found that the sharpie pen they received, although it leaves a nice impression, does not seem to have any erasing capacity unlike what the video tutorial states? Perhaps the first generation of pens did not have erasing ends? I wonder if the problem is that I purchased from ebay, and they have the first generation stock? So if I purchase direct from Theory11 perhaps I will have better luck with the erasing end? It's just that shipping to NZ is so expensive, so the free shipping on ebay is very tempting.

I guess people just used small handheld "m's" to erase afterwards if the erasing end of the pen didn't work? I can use something else to erase, but it's a bit less convenient than having it inside the pen itself. Maybe there is somewhere I can buy just the pen itself, and make sure it comes with the erasing end? I love the quality of the pad itself, and the writing end of the sharpie is fine. I just wish I could erase what I've written. [/quote]

You must have a faulty pen as mine erases very well. Maybe just modify your sharpie.
Does anyone know the main differences between the ParaPad and the Forster Johnson Pad?
Both the parapad and the Forster Johnson pad are excellent mentalism devices, the Forster Johnson pad employs envelopes in addition to the pad. Watch the videos available on youtube etc. and see for yourself if the handling of Jan Forster would be something you would prefer over using the regular parapads. I recommend both ;)
I received my Parapad from Theory 11. It came with a Sharpie. My wife doesn't have the neatest writing in the world, admittedly, but I've had her jot down a few things for some peek practice and, frankly, I'm struggling to read the peek. When I look at the sheet of paper she wrote on it's easy to make out what she wrote. Therefore, the Sharpie doesn't seem to be doing the job with regard to giving a clean impression. Yes, when I write a test note the impression is a bit cleaner but not quite as clean as the writing on the paper.

Did I make a big mistake by buying from Theory 11 and ending up with a Sharpie instead of the pen that Paralabs normally supplies? I've also noticed it can be some what challenging to erase the impression fully without leaving behind black streaks. Would the Stabilo pen do a better job?

Lastly, is there ANY convenient source for the refills besides ordering from Europe?

I'm honestly wondering if I should have gone with a Butterfly instead. Crazy to spend this kind of money and still struggle to read the impression.

Mark
Have you spoken to Theory 11?

[quote]On Mar 23, 2019, Magic Mark wrote:
I received my Parapad from Theory 11. It came with a Sharpie. My wife doesn't have the neatest writing in the world, admittedly, but I've had her jot down a few things for some peek practice and, frankly, I'm struggling to read the peek. When I look at the sheet of paper she wrote on it's easy to make out what she wrote. Therefore, the Sharpie doesn't seem to be doing the job with regard to giving a clean impression. Yes, when I write a test note the impression is a bit cleaner but not quite as clean as the writing on the paper.

Did I make a big mistake by buying from Theory 11 and ending up with a Sharpie instead of the pen that Paralabs normally supplies? I've also noticed it can be some what challenging to erase the impression fully without leaving behind black streaks. Would the Stabilo pen do a better job?

Lastly, is there ANY convenient source for the refills besides ordering from Europe?

I'm honestly wondering if I should have gone with a Butterfly instead. Crazy to spend this kind of money and still struggle to read the impression.

Mark [/quote]
[quote]On Mar 25, 2019, Nat wrote:
Have you spoken to Theory 11?

[quote]On Mar 23, 2019, Magic Mark wrote:

I’m glad that I read this comment before making a purchase. I’ve been looking for more of a pen style impression writer. And I was under the impression that parapad provided this type of writer. I’ve heard rumored, that parapad “IS” the more preferred impression tool. So after reading about the concerns above, I’ve decided to hold off on my purchase until I can get confirmation .
Message: Posted by: The Mysterious One (Jun 14, 2019 11:55AM)
You could make refills pretty easily. That is what I have done. The Parapad is an amazing device. I don't own the pen, but if Paralabs made it .it must be amazing. The challenge is that the pen is almost always out of stock.
My pens dry out to fast. Hassle.
Message: Posted by: The Mysterious One (Jun 18, 2019 09:31PM)
The pen can easily be replaced by a Psypher pen from the frozen bird. Then, you can take it apart and add the Paralabs (m*****) inside the Sharpie . This is a cheaper way alternative and with care, the Psypher Sharpies last a long time. I store mine i. A ziplock bag to make it air prrof. I place it cap down.
Message: Posted by: The Mysterious One (Jun 18, 2019 09:32PM)
The pen can easily be replaced by a Psypher pen from the frozen bird. Then, you can take it apart and add the Paralabs (m*****) inside the Sharpie . This is a cheaper way alternative and with care, the Psypher Sharpies last a long time. I store mine i. A ziplock bag to make it air proof. I store it cap down.
You can also revel the Sharpie that comes with the Theory 11 parapad
Just got my Parapad recently and I’ve heard of people constructing replacement pens (I even heard Bic style pens). Does anyone have any information on this that would be willing to share? If so, please PM. Love this pad but my concern is the pen drying out, especially in the dry climate I live in. The pen from theory11 already seems slightly dry, so I want to tackle this issue head on before it becomes a problem.

Thanks!!