(Close Window)
Topic: Where Do I Start?
I'm very interested in building a joint and getting started pitching the worms. I'm an experienced entertainer, a long time kid show guy, but I'm a total First-Of-May in this area. What would you guys recommend for a first step? Buy a worm? Get Don's Svengali DVD? Are there any books or booklets on the subject?

I believe this could be a great income stream if I do it right, so I'm interested in doing the homework and getting started as soon as I can.
Don's Svengali DVD.

-JoeJoe
I agree, get Don's Svengali Deck DVD. And if you're doing the worms, some Kevlar IT would also be a good idea, click [url=http://themagicwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/findit.pl?x_item=SP5128&keyword=KEVLAR]HERE[/url] for more info.

I found that you have to make one adjustment when pitching, and that is not to act like a magician. Yes, the trick has to be amazing, and you need to be smooth, graceful and confident. But you also need to convince the crowd that it is easy to do and that they can do it. So don't say you are a magician if you are asked, it will discourage people from buying.

It's ironic, because pitching WILL make you a better magician (you get to perform all day and polish your sleights, misdirection and moves until they shine). You will also learn how to attract and control a crowd and be entertaining. But keep it to yourself!

BTW, a slightly different direction to go would be BOR (back-of-the-room) sales after a magic show. This is discussed in more detail under the "Tricky Business" section of the Café. SETH
Thanks for the advice and the link guys. I'm more of a puppeteer, vent and comedian than a magician, although I include a little magic in my act. I think this will improve my skill level though. And the BOR sales would be a good fit too.
David,
If you are just goint to pitch the worm you don't need a pitch joint.As a matter of fact for just the worm a pitch joint would get in your way.You can see Alex here at the NY state fair http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNoNpBPGTD0 I framed the joing for him and you can see hes just using a small table.You want to be on the ground and in the tip to work it.

My DVD (that I don't own anymore)is mostly for the Svengali pitch.I do have some of the worm at the end but not much.The worm wasn't a big thing when I made the Svengali DVD.But I do have lots of the psychology of a pitch in the DVD and the psychology of a pitch can be used for any pitch.So its worth getting and you never know when you might want to start pitching the Svengali deck.

http://www.dondriver.net David is a great guy and will be very happy to take your money.

Also call Carl's warehouse http://www.toysontv.com/html/corporate.cfm and tell them you are a pitchman and want one of their pitch DVDs for the squirmle.If you have a problem tell them I sent you and that Carl told me its OK.
Later,Don
Don, when you talk about Carl's pitch DVD, is this different from the DVD loop demo that he offers (which has some of the moves but is basically a TV commercial)?

It would be great if there is something that actually lays out the entire worm pitch with all the tricks, moves and subtleties. Pete's videotape was great as I noted, but it's not available anymore. His technique of setting up the worm for the double somersault (without a visible or apparent winding of the gimmick) was tremendous. His tips on working with IT and storing the worms were also very good. SETH
My understanding is that Carl did a DVD on "How to pitch the squirmle" and will give it away to pitchman if you order a case of squirmles.I haven't seen it as of yet but I would have to say if Carl made it he has to be top notch.He is the best worm pitchman I have ever seen....oh wait Alex is good to.

I really have to nail Carl down on this and find out about it once and for all.I'll report back here.

I still haven't gotten a sample on Thurston worm in a plister pack.As soon as David mails me one I'll report on that.

Later,Don
I was sent a Squirmles DVD with my case. I put it in my computer and it was a cd of someones self help hypnosis program. They wanted to mail me a new one, so I said just email it. It was just the demo loop.
Thanks Don. I'll give them a call, I really appreciate the advice and letting me tell them you sent me.

Alex is a pretty amazing pitchman and he sure has the moves with the worm.

I picked up a worm at a magic shop. It's one of the ones I've haerd complaints about here, the Wonder Worm. It's good enough to start working with though and I'm getting the idea. I have a lot of work to do, but it's fun work.

It's good to know I can start without a real pitch joint. I'll get out there quicker if I can start with just the table. I do want to build a joint eventually since I'm planning on selling a couple of other items. I'm wondering if there's a furry version of the wonder mouse.
"I'm wondering if there's a furry version of the wonder mouse. "

NO !
Well, that's definite enough. Ok. I have much to learn.
I got a copy of the squirmle DVD from Carl and it was a copy of Pete's DVD, but carl sent me some IT with it - the DVD is great and is almost 1.5 hours long and the IT is perfect for worm work

Hope this helps
./sam
I'm glad to know that Pete's Magic Fuzzle videotape is still available as a DVD, because it is the best worm pitch training tape I have ever seen. But I wonder how Carl is selling it?

Maybe Don can throw some light on this. SETH
Is there somewhere can I buy a copy of the DVD?