(Close Window)
Topic: Any Magician perform Knife Manipulation?
Appear, Vanish etc like with Fans, Parasols but with knives instead?

Can't find any so far...

Why? Just curious...

:online:
I suppose because a knife cannot be seen and is not that impressive from stage. They don't do anything. A fan opens, a parasol open, but a knife is just a knife and do to the size it is not impressive as it can be consealed easily. There is no pop action as with the other items.

They do make an appearing sword currently on the market. Jay Scott Berry made custom made appearing knivers and swords years ago.

Knives and swords are used for placing in a box for a penetration effect.

Then there is the old color changing knivers, one manufacturer even make a very long model.
None at all then?
Well I have not seen all the FISM act in the world, but if you are thinking this may be something original, you will have to do some heavy research.

As I thought I come up with something original, just to find out it had been done years ago at a FISM convention and did not get recognized. Buy that I mean they filmed it but it did not get any awards.
Thanks for the advice... :)
I have used a knife instead of scissors for C&R rope with good response. You keep it in your hand and the misdirection value is tremendous -- perhaps people keep expecting you to stab yourself. I have also used a small daggar as a wand, and replacing it in a sheath on your belt allows for all sorts of steals and ditches. I also do a Ring on Wand effect using a solid sword with a 14" blade -- and I produce the sword from a silk "favor" and allow the spectator to hold it while his damsel attemts to toss a ring onto the blade. Lots of fun!
Great ideas there funsway...

I was thinking more along the lines of Candle or Fan Manipulations though...

Wmhegbli is correct in it being difficult to bring "life" to a knife production.

However, if you got one of those "self-working" knife throwing boards and a sexy assitant strapped thereon -- you could produce knives or change silks or feather into knives and throw them at the board. The right lighting would glisten on the blade. The advantage would be that you produce and vanish the same knife over and over again. The theme might be how love's fond memories turn into bitter regrets with the girl only a figure of his imagination who vanishes at the end.
What about switchblades?
I don't know of any multiplying knife routine either, and I'm not sure it would look as nice as candles, fans, balls, etc.
However, I can imagine a routine that could look quite spectacular using and manipulating balisong knives. There's many sleights and flourtishes that you can do with these knives. Ekaterina does a some nice manip with it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2gZ9gAs7Z4
[quote]
On 2010-08-17 21:59, Michel Fouche wrote:
What about switchblades?
[/quote]

They are illegal!
[quote]
On 2010-08-17 23:36, wmhegbli wrote:
[quote]
On 2010-08-17 21:59, Michel Fouche wrote:
What about switchblades?
[/quote]

They are illegal!
[/quote]

I thought that was only in Australia. Well you learn something new everyday.
Kevin James does a knife to streamers. I perform a knife to streamers to dove (different method than Kevins) in my dove act. Years ago I used to produce one knife, then a second. Then holding them both in one hand by the points in a "V", I would then produce a 3rd, then a forth, then finally a fifth ending in a "fan of five" in one hand, then suddenly producing a second "fan of five" in the other hand. I also used to do a floating Dagger. Then change it's color, then change it into a rose. I had the knives custom made for me.
Boy John, would love to see that routine, sounds interesting.

As I said previously, most common ideas have been done already, just not seen by everyone or notiable to the entire magic society.
[quote]
On 2010-08-18 02:47, John T. Sheets wrote:
Kevin James does a knife to streamers. I perform a knife to streamers to dove (different method than Kevins) in my dove act. Years ago I used to produce one knife, then a second. Then holding them both in one hand by the points in a "V", I would then produce a 3rd, then a forth, then finally a fifth ending in a "fan of five" in one hand, then suddenly producing a second "fan of five" in the other hand. I also used to do a floating Dagger. Then change it's color, then change it into a rose. I had the knives custom made for me.
[/quote]

Yep, I would love to see that Knife Routine of yours...

Tony clark does some knife manipulation in his bird act .
I used to use a knife in my razor blade act. Would catch it on the back of my hand and spin the tip on my palm. There are a lot of knife flourishes out there and if used right, could add some flavor to a magic routine.

People are also impressed with anything dangerous looking.. no matter how "safe" it is.
[quote]
On 2010-08-18 09:54, Stucky wrote:
I used to use a knife in my razor blade act. Would catch it on the back of my hand and spin the tip on my palm. There are a lot of knife flourishes out there and if used right, could add some flavor to a magic routine.

People are also impressed with anything dangerous looking.. no matter how "safe" it is.
[/quote]

Any instructions out there? DVDs, books etc?
If I were to make appear long knives that are about a foot long each, what would be the closes in manipulation technique and style for me to study for that?

Oriental fans or parasols or something else?

Thanks in advance, great info btw... :)

The german magician duo "Junge Junge" present actually a knife sequence in their "An Englishman in new York" Act.

They combine, large knife productions and color changing knifes for the dagger head chest illusion.

There must be a video out there.

Oliver.
Thanks Oliver, that was of great help...

Found it on the ol' trusted youtube...

Great Routine btw...

I think that presentation by Junge Junge is perhaps one of the best dagger head chest's I've seen, nice surprise ending as well.
I never seen, but know street magician sonny holiday did a multipal knife productions...not sure if he used switchblades or butterfly knives...ask jimmy talksalot...he may know.
Jason Baney and Kevin James both do knife manip.Any flip stick move can be done with a knife.I teach Balisong knife as part of my Fillipin Martial
Arts class.www.fcskali.com Switchblades are not illegal in South Caorolina.It is a state by state thing.Cordially,Howard Vanderbeck
Never seen it...
but if colour changing knife,joe mogar performed it
Pakar, this is probably not what you are looking for, but in his book on knife manipulation, Mr. Merrill mentions several times that a nice manipulation routine could be added to the color changing knives effects by adapting cigarette sleights such as you might find in the Encyclopedia by Keith Clark. I think Lawrence O has made the same suggestion in several threads on the color changing knives, as well. The effects are probably not grand enough for the stage. Another source might be John Rogers's cigar manipulation routines.

Hope this helps!

Woland
[quote]
On 2010-08-17 16:35, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
None at all then?
[/quote]
Many years ago, I was doing a play and was required to vanish a bowie knife, huge and sharp. I did a flip stick vanish then slid the knife blade up into a pocket.
12 shows, no cuts, and the cast nor the audience knew how it was done.
I do remember recently seeing a floating sword effect. The guy did some flourishes first then had this excaliber type sword float.