(Close Window)
Topic: The shell loversawsome new technique from / Bob Sheets ,Glen Morphew
Awesome new 3 Shell DVD

I just recently got Bob’s 3 Shell Boot Camp from Glenn Morphew. In my opinion this is the fast track to learning advanced moves for the shell game. You get 3 bottle caps, a set of SFS peas and a DVD that runs 1 hour and 36 minutes.

The first part of the DVD teaches you how to use Bob Sheets’ One Minute Routine as a workout drill. By drilling Bob’s routine you’re drilling the pinch steal, acquitments, back clip steal, open hand shows, loading on an arc from back clip and how to work with 2 peas on the table. Not only will you get a great skill set, you learn a great 1 minute demo routine.

The teaching is very clear and uses aerial views with both bottle caps and rings so that you can see where the pea is at all times.

After you’ve drilled Bob’s routine enough to have it mastered, you can go on to Glenn’s routine. This routine is an extension of Bob’s routine with 2 additional phases. You’ll learn some brand new moves and thinking on the shell game in this routine. Again, the teaching is very clear and uses aerial views to make it easier to get the patterns down.

Finally, there is a bonus section that covers a lot of great additional information on the shell game. I can’t recommend Bob’s 3 Shell Boot Camp enough.

I think at this time you can only get Bob's 3 Shell Boot Camp directly from either Bob Sheets or Glenn Morphew. I don’t know if or when it will be available in magic shops. If you’re interested in taking your shell work to the next level you might want to PM Bob or Glenn Morphew to see if you can get one.

Here is a link to a performance of the routine by Glenn Morphew.

http://www.vimeo.com/9364841
\ vinny the godfather of magic
Ps Glen and Bob have taken the shell game to another level
Bob gave me a copy of this while it was in the preparation stage to see how long it would take me learn the routine. It took me about 3 days ( 2 or 3 hours a day), to get the routine down to a relatively good performance. And, though I'd seen Bob perform his routine many times, I'd never done a 3 shell routine. If you have any interest at all in the shells, this is some of the real work. And, the instruction is great.
My apologies I always spell Glenn's name wrong it is two nns
Glen Forgive the godfather lol
Looks good!
I agree with Nicholas D. I've had this for about a year now because I attended Bob's bootcamp. I did the drill a few times everday for about a week. I have been using the shells at every strolling gig now for over a year and the shells KILL. I've also used them in stand up shows as a warm up. After you learn the drill you become super comfortable with the shells. I also used other SFS DvDs and I put together my own routine using phases from Sheets, Hayden, Kohler, and Terry Ward (Jack Diamond citizen of Hollywood in Disney). Please learn the shells if you want to really intrigue an audience.
Where can the DVD be purchased?
As Vinny indicated above, contact Bob or Glenn via PM! I haven't seen Bob post much here but I'm in constant contact with Glenn through the Café!

MMc
That two pea gambit is powerful stuff.
This is some of the best work I've seen on video.....maybe [i]the[/i] best.

Fooled me completely the first viewing, much of the second viewing.
Hi everyone,

Since the cat is out of the bag, I thought I'd let you know what Bob's 3 Shell Boot Camp is all about, just in case you're wondering.

Bob's 3 Shell Boot Camp is the brain child of Bob Sheets. It is an extremely quick way to get an advanced 3 shell skill set while learning a great demo routine in the process.

Bob's One Minute routine is full of advanced (but not difficult) 3 shell moves. The beauty of learning this routine is that you not only will learn advanced shell game sleights, you'll learn how they work together to create deceptive patterns.

3 shell moves are like card sleights... the more you have in your arsenal the better and the easier it is to create your own routines. Also, the better you understand how sleights can work together, the easier your creative process will become.

Another thing I can tell you is that learning and drilling Bob's routine is not only a BLAST, it's ADDICTING... what a combination!!! Also, you'll find (if you don't already do the shells) that people really love seeing the shell game in action. Everyone has heard about the infamous shell game but few have ever seen it in action... so you have automatic built in interest.

When I finally decided to learn the shell game, (what in the heck took me so long?) I contacted Bob to get some pointers. Bob recommended I use the exact method on what has now became Bob's 3 Shell Boot Camp, so I did. It was amazing! It worked great! I went from a total zero to very competent in just 8 days. 8 days after that, I was altering the sleights used and the patterns and I extended Bob's routine by adding two additional phases.

I found the hardest part wasn't learning the sleights, it was getting the patterns down so that my hands would just move around on auto-pilot with an economy of motion and good tempo. For this reason, we have done everything we can to shorten the trip to auto-pilot for you. The routine(s) are taught with performer aerial views in 3 different ways, (with bottle caps, rings and then a "Cliffs notes" version) so you can quickly internalize the patterns and start drilling the routine yourself.

I can honestly say that learning the shell game with this technique was the most fun I've had learning something new in magic in the last 20 years. The feedback I'm getting from others mirrors my experience.

I hope this helps to shed a little light on what Bob's 3 Shell Boot Camp is designed to do and help you decide if you'd like to become a new recruit yourself.

Have fun,
Glenn
Glenn,
Where can we get a copy?
Magic Marine,

The best way to do so is to PM either Bob or myself.

Thanks,
Glenn
[quote]
On 2010-09-10 10:37, Magic Marine wrote:
Glenn,
Where can we get a copy?
[/quote]

Indeed Glenn, inquiring minds and impatient credit cards/PayPal accounts await your answer my good friend!!

I think this would be a lot of fun tied in which Alex Lourido's Captivated.

So Glenn, "Ve haf vayz uf making you talk" ;)

Namaste,
Vlad

PS: Not germane to this section, but Glenn has a KILLER technique for the One Hand Top Palm. Thank you again Glenn, I am ALMOST there ;)
I was privileged with a pre release copy from Glenn and I've gotta say this is one of the coolest teaching videos I've ever seen!

Up until 2.5 weeks ago I messed with the shells a bit and had been working on Chef Anton's routine (taught on The Scoundrel's Touch). I enjoyed my practice sessions then but I'm OBSESSED with it now!

Glenn's teaching of Bob's 1 min. workout is sooooooooo easy to follow and within a few days I had the mental memory pretty solid and at 1 week my muscle memory was taking over! Now at 2 and a half weeks I can do it in my sleep!

The advanced sleights are taught in such a way that coupled with the suggested drills become quite natural in a short amount of time!

What can be accomplished with the 2 pea system is nothing short of diabolical! My bride had seen my Chef Anton routine and always enjoyed it but last night I finally let her see what I've been working on lately and she was completely blown away! She even commented this morning over coffee that she still has no clue how I did it!

My foundation is the S4S "Scoundrel's Touch" (AWESOME DVD) and now with the Sheets/Morphew Boot Camp I feel I'll be able to develop a routine that I'll be very proud of! Just the 1 min. workout alone is a cool routine! Add Glenn's extra phases and it's a show quality piece but why stop there, all the tools you need to create your own are all included in this package!

I honestly haven't had this much fun learning something new in magic in ages! I can't walk past my table with out running through the drills a few times, it's just addicting to me!

If you have any interest in the 3 Shell Game at all, order this from Glenn or Bob and get started right away!

Thanks ever so much Glenn for turning me on to this AND all the help along the way!

I'm off to run through my drills (for the 3rd time today)!

MMc
So all you gonna do is 15 times this 1 minute workout each day?!
Or does the drill takes more than 1 minute each time (at the beginning)?

By the way: I am a new German recruit and I am waiting for the DVD and the props to arrive. :)
Just a quick note here. Glenn was my first "private" and he got it in eight days. Most guys who already do the shells are working on 4 or 5 days. Glenn is a wonderful teacher and I had him do the class because "everybody knows Bob can do the shells". He's as good as I am as you'll see on the DVD.

I suggest you run through and drill "the one minute workout" 15 minutes a day in the morning and evening, that's 30 times a day, and you should have it down in 3 weeks or less. More time of course will cut that down. You will learn the sequence and by "drilling" the moves will get better every day.

I just did the "Boot Camp" at Magic in the Rockies for 24 people and everyone got through it at least 30 times in 1 1/2 hours. Great time. Glenn and I show you how to jump to the top with the latest edge techniques for the three shells.

It's very a very addictive practice I think everyone will enjoy. Just let the skill sets flow through the drill and you'll be a pro in no time. We really do show you how to practice and perform this astonishing piece.

If you want "Bob's 3 Shell Bootcamp just private message Glenn or myself and we'll get it out to you. Available only direct from Glenn or myself.

Drop and give me 20. bob.
Bob,
do you think there will be a Boot Camp for the "Three Card Monte" someday too?? :)

Best,
Carsten
My copy arrived the other day and I finally got a chance to look at it yesterday. Bob & Glenn, you did a great job with this one. Using both the rings and the numbered caps to demonstrate makes everything very clear. Repeating it from the different angles also makes it much easier to follow the patterns as well as to figure out what both performer and spectator should be seeing.

I'll admit that I'm going to have to go back to make sure that I've got the patterns correct. There's no sense in practicing the wrong moves.

I especially appreciate that you make it very clear that learning the routine well will require several weeks of daily practice for the new worker. It's stated on the cover and several times before, during, and after the demonstrations. If more magicians took the necessary time to practice (and rehearse) before they performed we'd see a lot less bad magic.

Sir! Yes, Sir! Dropping and giving 20, Sir!
[quote]
On 2010-09-16 08:03, BigSmile wrote:
Bob,
do you think there will be a Boot Camp for the "Three Card Monte" someday too?? :)

Best,
Carsten
[/quote]

I second this question!
[quote]
On 2010-09-16 08:03, BigSmile wrote:
Bob,
[/quote]

Smile and Pan,

After about 3 or 4 days of doing my drills I came up with the idea that it could be applied to 3CM as well and began working it up! I'm sure you'll find a method and application yourself once you get rolling with the shells!

MMc
Hi guys,

The concept of a Three Card Monte Boot Camp is an interesting one. However, between the all of information available from School For Scoundrels and Daryl on the subject, I think it might already be so well covered, that a Monte boot camp might not be a viable idea. (Of course, I could be wrong, because I've been wrong before!) It is possible that guys like Nicholas Johnson or Ian Kendall might have some new moves, thinking or interesting ideas that might make a project of this nature worthwhile, but I think that maybe if you just take an advanced existing Monte routine and use it as a drill, you'll acquire a great Monte skillset in the course of learning the routine you choose.

The reason I think Bob's 3 Shell Boot Camp was such a good idea and is so valuable is because it teaches and gets you performing a really nice demo routine that requires you to do a variety of advanced (but not difficult) moves and actions other than just the basic pinch steal and load. It also offers some brand new moves, ideas and thinking on the shell game. It incorporates new teaching props like the rings, and the numbered caps and the aerial views which allowed us to teach things in easy to understand ways, so you could quickly learn what you needed to learn so you could get to work and start drilling Bob's One Minute Workout.

The hidden added bonus is that doing the drill is so much fun that it becomes an addiction!

When Bob first asked me if I wanted to be the guinea pig to try this learning method out, I had to think about it for a minute because I didn't want to make the commitment to him if I wasn't positive I would see it through. The thought of doing a drill 15 times a day for possibly 3 weeks sounded like quite a commitment to me at the time. I think Bob sensed this and he assured me that the biggest problem I would have would be doing the drill ONLY 15 times a day! Of course, I can tell you in hindsight that truer words were never spoken. From day one, I was having so much fun with this that I drilled it countless times a day.

Anyway, if someone out there has some new Monte moves, ideas and concepts that they have put together into a great routine that can be taught Bob's Boot Camp style, you can count me in too!

Have fun,
Glenn
"Addiction" nahhhhhh, OBSESSION maybe, I can quit anytime! ;)

My latest challenge to myself is doing 3 reps without a bobble, flash or drop, times 5!

In other words, I go through my drills from set up on the first then reset and repeat, reset and repeat. If I make a mistake, drop a pea or flash I start over at 1. Once I've completed 5 sets of 3 that session is over! The first time I did it this way I did about 65 reps altogether! LOL
I'll soon change this to 5 reps X 3!

I completely agree with DrSammy, if we'd all spend more time practicing and rehearsing before showing, we'd see much less BAD work out there!

Keep your eye on the pea,

MMc
Wow Mike! You're even tougher on yourself than the Sarge is. That's a very good idea though... once you've been at the drill for awhile. The added pressure you're putting on yourself will come in handy when you start performing the routine for other people. (your bride doesn't count, because she's gonna love you even if you mess up, plus... she's seen your pee before)
Owning the two SFS DVD's, Bob Sheets "Absolutely Nuts", and the Phil Cass DVD on the shell game, and having in my library some of the older texts on the topic from Norman, Garcia and Chanin........I can honestly say that the routine Glenn showed us in the video linked to above was the [i]most[/i] entertaining, [i]easiest[/i] to understand, and definitely the [i]most deceptive[/i] shell game demo I've ever seen, live or on video.

When I first viewed Glenn's video, (and I supposedly know about the two-pea system) I had to go back and watch it again.

I had no clue what was happening..........and as a result had to gladly buck-up and go to boot camp!
Maybe using three pea's???
Using three-peas while you were advertising that you were using two-peas would be [i]hustling the hustlers[/i] Glenn!

I suspect though, that we were simply viewing some very much advanced thinking on the two pea system.

I'll know more when I finish boot-camp.
I have a routine where I use 4 pea's - however most shows I use only one. The four pea routine is a routine I most often do with bottle caps. And it has a very cool kicker ending.

Cheers!
If I want to manage 3 or more items I'll do the Cups and Balls!

Glad to hear you got in on the Boot Camp Silverking, lemme know what you think after a week or so!

MMc
[quote]
On 2010-09-20 15:02, MickeyPainless wrote:
If I want to manage 3 or more items I'll do the Cups and Balls!

[/quote]
Well - good luck with that then.

Just FYI the four pea routine has nothing to do with the cups and balls. I also do another routine shell routine using bottle caps called rainbow bottle caps. This also has nothing to do with the cups and balls.

Cheers!
The 3 Shell Boot Camp came as a result of seeing only 3 people use the work from my "Absolutely Nuts" DVD and I put that together ten years ago. I did the two videos "Introduction to 3 Shells and Scoundrels Touch" with Whit and Chef Anton and I know that this DVD will make those a cake walk for anyone to put together any of the routines or combined sequences found there.

The Boot Camps one minute workout will give you EXACTLY what you have to practice to become proficient at the 3 shells. And you won't need anyone to tell you that because you can compare your technique with the Glen or myself on your own.

If you get the Boot Camp from Glenn or I, we will coach you if Vimeo or private YouTube us. I did this with Glenn when we started and I now get video from recruits from all over the world. The last one was from an 18 year old from China. He did it the first day and then sent me one a week later and except for now drilling it to get to the "NO THOUGHT" stage he's got it down.

It really makes learning the game a blast.

Thanks for all your great comments and I hope to hear from all of you as you complete your training.

Pump it up. Bob.
Hi Mr Sheets.
Will you be incorporating this in your lecture at magic weekend, Lund, Sweden this october? In that case, bring many sets as I predict they will sell really well (I want one!).

Cheers
Mikael Johansson
Sweden
Just finished my first watching of this DVD. Great stuff! Clean demo routine, taught in meticulous detail from multiple camera angles. I'm suffering from "shell overload" poking around with half a dozen different videos, trying bits of them all. Bob's one minute workout is just what I need to stay focused and really WORK at getting a routine down start to finish.
Dave,

I think you hit the nail on the head.

In addition to acquiring an advanced skill set in the course of learning a great demo routine, you do so in a structured way! Bob doesn't have you doing 15,000 different things one time, he has you do one thing 15,000 times. It's a proven efficient way to get the job done.

Using spaced repetition with The One Minute Workout guarantees you will experience rapid improvement and ultimately, mastery of the 3 shell game.

Once you're there, I'm sure you will all agree that the journey to mastery was a blast!

Have fun!
Glenn
Hi All,

This is the best purchase I made since we bought our house.

I am going to have to buy my beautiful wife something that glitters to make amends for my chronic absenteeism.

I am utterly addicted to this regimen.

Let’s hope Bob Sheets and Glenn Morphew are not arrested for peddling illicit, addictive neuro-substances!

Gotta’ run…just went through five sessions and as a consequence, have to face rush-hour traffic if I am to get to work on time…
Got the Boot Camp disc, and think that the routine and learning system is nothing short of excellent. However, I wish that the phases were broken up, slowed up, or whatever so they would be easier to follow. I figured that the only way I can learn the choreography is to write a synopsis of each phase, which I did tonight. Tomorrow, I'll try to follow what I wrote and make the necessary corrections and clarifications.
Jake,

That's exactly what I did and it was just the ticket! Writing out the
"Work" is part of the process I use when learning all tricks and routines and it has proven to be quite beneficial for me over the years! Unfortunately I doubt anyone else would be able to make heads or tails of my notes so passing em along wouldn't do any good!

Good luck with the process,

MMc
Hi guys,

I just wanted to give everyone a heads up that Bob is out of the country for a month on a lecture tour, so if you have sent him a PM and haven't heard back, that's why. I would suggest if you want any information at this time, that you PM me instead of Bob.

I'm almost as nice as he is, although I'm not nearly as funny.

Glenn
Glenn...I need the antidote...the addiction is too strong...I am actually dreaming about the workout patterns...went to have a go at the session table at 3 in the morning...wife is accumulating apology gifts at an alarming pace...

Help.
Pan,

There is no known cure and no 3 Shell Game Anonymous, so I suggest you get your wife a nice set of shells as her next apology gift... once she's hooked herself, at least you won't have to buy any more apology gifts.

That's all I got.

Glenn
Perhaps I can pay a loanshark to break my fingers...
Ordered mine. This is one addiction that I am looking forward to developing :)
[quote]
On 2010-12-24 09:47, MLDupree wrote:
Ordered mine. This is one addiction that I am looking forward to developing :)
[/quote]

I feel sorry for you - but in a good way.

Remember when Alice fell down the hole?

Welcome to Shell Boot Camp Wonderland...
Got my Disk over the holiday and I am offically hooked!! I don't remember boot camp being this much fun. Keep up the good work Sergeant.
Where can we found it? I can't find any shop, nor in France, Europe, or even USA with this DvD.
[quote]
On 2011-01-14 10:33, Boudje wrote:
Where can we found it? I can't find any shop, nor in France, Europe, or even USA with this DvD.
[/quote]

Order it directly from Glen or from Bob, but order it. You won't be sorry.
We're talking with Chef Anton and Whit Haydn to get the "Boot Camp" for the SFS crowd.

Thanks again for all the great comments from all over the world. bob.
I'm sending School For Scoundrels the Boot Camp video for their folks. bob.
For those of you who have never seen "The One Minute Workout" here is a link to me doing the drill with the bottle caps included with Bob's 3 Shell Boot Camp.

There is a lot going on during this one minute routine and drilling it ingrains the skill set and timing you need to perform the shell game well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iz5bosMGfA

Thanks for watching,

Glenn
Hey Glenn,
Bob is a "V.I.P." already. Perhaps you will get that status also here at the Café... someday. I hope so and I keep fingers crossed. ;)

And thanks for sharing the video!
BigSmile,

Don't keep your fingers crossed... it's impossible to practice the shells with your fingers crossed!

Thanks for the good wishes but I'm very content with my R.P. (Regular Person) status here on the Café.

Keep Smiling!
Just got the DVD and still working on getting the 1 minute routine down.. If you are having hard time following Glenn when he is teaching (I did), you can use VLC player (free download) and while playing, go to playback menu of the player and choose slower and you will get the slow-motion video and audio.. This really helps following along..

Love the DVD.. Thank you Bob and Glenn for making this available for us..

Hope this helps..

Best,

Atinc
Although I love the look of the routine, I just can't seem to get it to work for me. Even with the Perfect Pea, it won't stay in place long enough for me to do anything without squirting away or dropping to the table.

If I'm unsure of the handling or uncomfortable with the chance of it failing I simply can't do it.

It seems that at least for me I'm back to the standard handling.
Dave: Have you tried using hand cream prior to doing the routine. It makes a big difference for me. It's also important for me to wash the peas off occasionally.
For me, any cream or lotion made it worse. They'd just squirt away.

My fingers simply don't work like they used to. I've given up on Archery and most guitar playing as well. I can handle standard shells, as for the most part you have a single hand shape that doesn't require a huge amount of dexterity.

(It took me twice as long as usual to write this compared to a few years ago. About every other word had to be edited and reedited. Typing skills have declined too it seems)
Dave,

I don't know if it will make a difference but I washed my peas in dish soap and water and that helped make them a bit more "grippy." I wash them every so often now and it helps a lot. I have way less dropping of the pea now. Could be me getting better too but I think the washing helps. You'll notice they're more tacky as soon as you wash them. I'm 19 days in and lovin' it. You can see my run through of the routine here.

I've already gotten some excellent feedback from Glenn and some others which will help me clean it up and take it to another level. Awesome stuff here in the Bootcamp.

I also wrote out the steps for each phase and paused and played the DVD through each phase until I got the basic moves. Took a bit of work but not too terrible... I think once you get your brain set to the 3 shell channel you get it faster and then you can watch moves and get them... at first it looked like Greek and I thought I'd never be able to follow.

J